Become a Patron!

Florida Wants To Add Vaping To Indoor Smoking Ban? Whattttt!!

Would you mind indoor vaping laws in your hometown ?

• Total voters

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yo Yo Yo! What is going on? How are you guys on this Thursday?

Another good read coming to you from our online vape magazine

https://breazy.com/blogs/updates/florida-wants-to-add-vaping-to-indoor-smoking-ban

Florida_Wants_To_Add_Vaping_To_Indoor_Smoking_Ban_large.jpg

Lawmakers in Florida are in the process of amending their indoor smoking ban to include vapor products. The ban on tobacco smoke was originally implemented 16 years ago, and this week a proposal to add vaping onto the ban passed through an important state panel. A final vote needs to come before May for the amendment to be on the ballot for midterm state elections.

The amendment passed through the Florida Constitution Revision Commission in a decisive 26-6 vote, according to local station News 4 Jax. The 37-member committee only gets together once every twenty years to agree to make changes to the state’s constitution. State Senator Lisa Carlton is the main backer of the proposal, though her arguments center around an already-debunked and bogus claim that Floridians are subjected to so-called harmful “second-hand” or “passive” vaping.

“Add e-cigarettes and vaping into the Constitution so that our citizens can stop being experiments. Because that’s what we’ve been … as those of us who don’t vape have been an experiment for all of the citizens that are vaping,” Carlton said. “I think it’s time to clean up our restaurants, our malls, our movie theaters, so we can all breathe clean air again, which is what the 2002 constitutional amendment intended.”

Carlton pointed to the 2016 surgeon general’s report which stated that secondhand aerosol exhaled into the air from vape devices can expose others to potentially harmful chemicals, however, that report has been largely discredited with various studies done on the effects of exposure to passive vaping.

First, a study performed by Igor Burstyn at Drexel University analyzed over 9,000 observations on e-cig vapor and concluded that "there is no evidence to suggest vaping produces inhalable contaminants that would warrant health concerns." Second, the California Department of Public Health conducted a comprehensive study showing that secondhand vapor is safe, despite making an extensive effort to find some sort of toxin. Third, a review conducted by the Royal College of Physicians and Public Health England, Nicotine Without Smoke, dismissed harm connected to secondhand vapor.

"There is, so far, no direct evidence that passive exposure is likely to cause harm…[while bystanders may be] exposed to passive nicotine..there is no plausible mechanism by which such deposits could enter the body at doses that would cause physical harm," says the Royal College of Physicians and Public Health England.

In the results of the experiment, the researchers found that e-cig exhalation contained eight times less nicotine than cigarette exhalation.

Comments by former Florida State Senator Carlton pointed to a more personal bias against vaping than a readily researched scientific argument. She offered the example of watching her gymnast daughter work out at a gym and sitting behind someone who was vaping.

“It infuriated me that I was sitting in a health facility in a closed workplace watching activities of children and there was somebody in front of me vaping,” she said. “And I can go on and on, but I won’t.”

Florida’s process of adding vaping to an already existing indoor smoking ban is a clear instance where personal bias, misinformation and misperceived danger influences legislation far more than up-to-date scientific data. Other states, like Montana, have offered similar indoor bans but managed to treat vaping differently and apart from smoking bans. Our hope: a common-sense middle ground can be located, where vapers are courteous enough not to annoy others with their clouds but still aren't ostracized in the same fashion as smokers are today.

~Thanks for reading!!
https://breazy.com/blogs/updates/florida-wants-to-add-vaping-to-indoor-smoking-ban

Last edited:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sigh....VA already has equated vaping with smoking. No indoor for either. :(

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
most states that I am aware of already equate vaping with their clean indoor air act. It should not be allowed in public government building, private businesses should be able to decide for themselves, same with smoking

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been that way in California sinnce the first Electronic CIGARETTE was introduced...... We might know the difference... BUT the world Vaping IS smoking. It's a or alternates introduced to the world as a safer form OF smoking and a way to "smoke" without combustion. Time for us to get over ourselves and realize its time to take he medicine we asked for.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sigh....VA already has equated vaping with smoking. No indoor for either. :(
Yeah but FL is a Constitutional change thing. If it passes no hope of it being rescinded for ~20 years. The next constitutional review time.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Problem with government is they are always looking for something to govern. I'm pretty sure state constitution could be amended at any time you don't have to wait 20 years

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here in New York they instituted No Vaping where there was No Smoking even before the FDA Deemed Batteries and coils Tobacco Products. Sucks but part of life I guess.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
People shouldn't be blowing vapor indoors, in public IMO. I'm mindful of where I do it. I can't believe this is even a thing anymore. So in Florida people can walk around the mall blowing clouds?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Just Frank when the e-Cigs first came out that looked just like a Marlboro you could vape in the Mall because they sold them in the Kiosks there. After New York decided to ban it they no longer allow it and now hard to taste test them.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been that way in California sinnce the first Electronic CIGARETTE was introduced...... We might know the difference... BUT the world Vaping IS smoking. It's a or alternates introduced to the world as a safer form OF smoking and a way to "smoke" without combustion. Time for us to get over ourselves and realize its time to take he medicine we asked for.
No!! We must stand and unite hahahha ( that was from a line from the movie 300---best movie everrrr!! )
I agree with your argument !

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Just Frank when the e-Cigs first came out that looked just like a Marlboro you could vape in the Mall because they sold them in the Kiosks there. After New York decided to ban it they no longer allow it and now hard to taste test them.
I got my first e-cig in 2011---it was $20
hahah Vapes has come a long way!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got my first e-cig in 2011---it was $20

My first was the e-Cigs Brand that had a Red LED and looked like a Marlboro. I used to love it when I got looks because I was vaping in No Smoking areas but it was Legal then. Years ago a person was ticketed for smoking on a Train Platform and he fought it. The Judge Threw it out because vaping was not smoking and not deemed a tobacco product at the time. Here is an excerpt and a link to the whole story.

New York Judge: Vaping Is Not Considered Smoking
Blog-JUDGE2-BodyImg.jpg

New York City police officials charged Shawn Thomas with violating the state’s public smoking ban when they spotted him vaping while waiting for a subway train. The city’s Smoke Free Air Act explicitly prohibits e-cig use anywhere smoking is banned; however, because the officers charged Thomas under state law, which doesn’t mention e-cigs, Thomas was able to successfully challenge his citation in court.

https://www.whitecloudelectroniccigarettes.com/blog/why-vaping-is-not-smoking-judge-rules/

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO.. the only group that will benefit from any type of vaping industry regulation is the Tobacco and political industries.
AT the expense of the users and smokers.

As with all regulation our cost goes up our choices go down and the big THEY get richer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doesn't get me riled up 'cause maybe back in the day before the "Clouds Bro's" it wasn't a nuisance to others now it is. I am in Washington State and anywhere smoking isn't allowed neither is Vaping. But I have to credit the current laws here that Vape Shops aren't included in the ban.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But I have to credit the current laws here that Vape Shops aren't included in the ban.

Same as here that you can Vape in a Vape Shop~! Many sell Tobacco, Hookah's, Cigarettes and Cigars but it is against the Law to smoke. Must piss off smokers because if I was still one it would piss me off to see someone vaping.

Last edited:

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first was the e-Cigs Brand that had a Red LED and looked like a Marlboro. I used to love it when I got looks because I was vaping in No Smoking areas but it was Legal then. Years ago a person was ticketed for smoking on a Train Platform and he fought it. The Judge Threw it out because vaping was not smoking and not deemed a tobacco product at the time. Here is an excerpt and a link to the whole story.

New York Judge: Vaping Is Not Considered Smoking
Blog-JUDGE2-BodyImg.jpg

New York City police officials charged Shawn Thomas with violating the state’s public smoking ban when they spotted him vaping while waiting for a subway train. The city’s Smoke Free Air Act explicitly prohibits e-cig use anywhere smoking is banned; however, because the officers charged Thomas under state law, which doesn’t mention e-cigs, Thomas was able to successfully challenge his citation in court.

https://www.whitecloudelectroniccigarettes.com/blog/why-vaping-is-not-smoking-judge-rules/
Thank you so much dude!!!! Reading this right now and we speak!! I am also a native new yorker so this is going to be a good read.
I'm going to repost on VU and give you credit!
Thank you Steve :)

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same as here that you can Vape in a Vape Shop~! Many sell Tobacco, Hookah's, Cigarettes and Cigars but it is against the Law to smoke. Must piss of smokers because if I was still one it would piss me off to see someone vaping.
Do you know what this sound like to me Steve........cognitive dissonance...alot of these laws have this in common hahaha

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO.. the only group that will benefit from any type of vaping industry regulation is the Tobacco and political industries.
AT the expense of the users and smokers.

As with all regulation our cost goes up our choices go down and the big THEY get richer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
is there a virtual clap button here??? Thank you HD.....you took this straight out my mouth...

would it be a stretch if I said that this is similar to what they do with our drinking water?
I have a theory..... do you want to here it hahah?

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Problem with government is they are always looking for something to govern. I'm pretty sure state constitution could be amended at any time you don't have to wait 20 years

*****Drops mic******
they can do it anytime they want!! Its called....... CONTROL....ALT....DELETE
:D

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here in New York they instituted No Vaping where there was No Smoking even before the FDA Deemed Batteries and coils Tobacco Products. Sucks but part of life I guess.

NOPE! I won't accept it.....not everything has to be governed....this may be a stretch but I have an idea....we to start small and be consistent. In NYC the city council is broken up into districts( I believe we have 11). Mark Levine represent the 7th District in Northern Manhattan and I know this from living in this neighborhood when I first moved to Manhattan. This area is part of the gentrification process but still have a lot of low-income housing and if I would say about 40% of these people are heavy smokers. Mark Levine serves as head of the Chair of Council Committee on Health. I was thinking someone like Levine would be interested in learning about vaping and how it can dramatically change the lives of the people in the low-income housing, not only in health reasons but also financially. This guy is really a strong advocate for environmentalism.... what do you think Steve?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh a major reason why the colonies broke away from England.
We were not allowed to make metals or ships, etc and our trade was limited pretty much to England.

Profit. A main reason for all governments existence.
The other main reason is control.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
what do you think Steve?

I think any advocating for vaping I will stand behind and support. The last CASAA mass mailing I joined in and received a few positive responses from a couple of State Legislators so no Tax was part of the Budget.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
NOPE! I won't accept it.....not everything has to be governed....this may be a stretch but I have an idea.

@Breazy_Com this has to do with the Clean Air Act which was enacted long before I ever heard about vaping. Indoor smoking was banned long before I quit and that is not going to change as people tried. Now the FDA Deeming Vapor Products is ridiculous and you know I agree but I am still waiting for the FDA Supervisor to call me back explaining how the objects made out of wire and metal are tobacco products. I do have Oxygen in the house if I decide to hold my breath.

A Guide to the New York State Clean Indoor Air Act
https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3402/

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Breazy_Com this has to do with the Clean Air Act which was enacted long before I ever heard about vaping. Indoor smoking was banned long before I quit and that is not going to change as people tried. Now the FDA Deeming Vapor Products is ridiculous and you know I agree but I am still waiting for the FDA Supervisor to call me back explaining how the objects made out of wire and metal are tobacco products. I do have Oxygen in the house if I decide to hold my breath.

A Guide to the New York State Clean Indoor Air Act
https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3402/
oh man...I was going to say don't hold your breath but I am glad you are covered! hahah

VU Sponsors