Become a Patron!

Flying, Vaping, and TSA

PaulS69

ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
It states on the TSA website ecigs are allowed, but will I have trouble with a VooPoo Drag X? Anyone flown recently?

Last edited:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It states on the TSA website ecigs are allowed, but will I have trouble with a Voodoo Drag X? Anyone flown recently?
They may arrest you on behalf of Voopoo for having an illegal knock-off. :giggle:

(Sorry... ahem.) If ecigs are allowed don't know why a mod wouldn't be, except that lithium batts are explosive, but so are the batts in ecigs. If it were me I'd call TSA to make sure what the regs are. Even if someone else successfully flew with a mod, could be a lax screener let it pass, or didn't realize what it was or that it had batts, etc. I'd let them know I have a device that holds two 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries, and just want to make sure I won't have an issue getting on the plane with it. JMO.

PaulS69

ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
They may arrest you on behalf of Voopoo for having an illegal knock-off. :giggle:

(Sorry... ahem.) If ecigs are allowed don't know why a mod wouldn't be, except that lithium batts are explosive, but so are the batts in ecigs. If it were me I'd call TSA to make sure what the regs are. Even if someone else successfully flew with a mod, could be a lax screener let it pass, or didn't realize what it was or that it had batts, etc. I'd let them know I have a device that holds two 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries, and just want to make sure I won't have an issue getting on the plane with it. JMO.
TSA website states lithium batteries are allowed but not to exceed 100 watts an hour but let the screener be on some robocop hype and no Bueno. I guess Ill be on the safe side and use my old Smoke 3. I could bring the Hammer of God with 4 batteries...lol

PaulS69

ECF Refugee
VU Patreon

Sorry auto correct did that VooPoo.....lol

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
TSA website states lithium batteries are allowed but not to exceed 100 watts an hour but let the screener be on some robocop hype and no Bueno. I guess Ill be on the safe side and use my old Smoke 3. I could bring the Hammer of God with 4 batteries...lol
Not to exceed 100 watts an hour ..? What does that mean?

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your guess is as good as mine.

Only thing I can figure is they are maybe referring to mah? And worded it very badly? If so, that means only lithium batteries with less than 100 mah would be allowed... which probably cigalikes fall within, but certainly not 18650s which are more like 1500-3000 mah, depending.

If that's what they meant that's one big fat bummer...

PaulS69

ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
Only thing I can figure is they are maybe referring to mah? And worded it very badly? If so, that means only lithium batteries with less than 100 mah would be allowed... which probably cigalikes fall within, but certainly not 18650s which are more like 1500-3000 mah, depending.

If that's what they meant that's one big fat bummer...
Yeah, what they say and actually do is never 100%. That is why I am looking for someone who actually got through a TSA check point with a MOD.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Right... most screeners wouldn't know one battery from another. But like you said... even if people get through regularly, no problem, and report that here, could all depend on the screener you get. IAC good luck and hope you get some relevant replies. :cheers:

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I flew I contacted the airlines that I was going to be flying because they all have different rules.

I decided to take my pod system instead of an expensive box mod and they weren't happy that the batteries couldn't be taken out but when they found out it could be powered off they were okay.

If the mod has removable batteries or pod they must be taken apart with most airlines and put in a case.

I used the case in the pictures, it's actually a cigar case with the padding taken out. Both ways going through TSA they opened my bag to inspect it because what they saw on the screen. They also stopped my brother and searched his bag because what they saw on the screen which was just a deck of cards. Then going through the body scanner they said I had something hidden in my back pocket, wanded me and pat down and surprise nothing there.

It's amazing the news articles that show just how much stuff gets through, I swear they need to get their act together and on the same page.
4bd3942523fbc6621466e4e536d30167.jpg
304db5bd1f6b7e444890eac5bb4cfc88.jpg

Thanks
mreeveshp

PaulS69

ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
When I flew I contacted the airlines that I was going to be flying because they all have different rules.

I decided to take my pod system instead of an expensive box mod and they weren't happy that the batteries couldn't be taken out but when they found out it could be powered off they were okay.

If the mod has removable batteries or pod they must be taken apart with most airlines and put in a case.

I used the case in the pictures, it's actually a cigar case with the padding taken out. Both ways going through TSA they opened my bag to inspect it because what they saw on the screen. They also stopped my brother and searched his bag because what they saw on the screen which was just a deck of cards. Then going through the body scanner they said I had something hidden in my back pocket, wanded me and pat down and surprise nothing there.

It's amazing the news articles that show just how much stuff gets through, I swear they need to get their act together and on the same page.
4bd3942523fbc6621466e4e536d30167.jpg
304db5bd1f6b7e444890eac5bb4cfc88.jpg

Thanks
mreeveshp

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Delta and Alaskan. Both ways.

I would definitely start with contacting the airlines. I also noticed when I flew from Charlotte the past couple times tsa was a little easier to get through but when I flew from Orlando and Denver tsa was a whole different story

Thanks
mreeveshp

Hype

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really don't get it . Vape products are deemed dangerous but it is totally safe to transport formula e race cars all over the world . They have huge batteries that are dangerous as hell but a vape with a 18650 or internal battery is dangerous . Yes they have to be discharged to travel , the cars that is but my vape is likened to a bomb . REALLY NOW ??

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Last time I flew I was told the batteries had to be in their own protective case. Vape juice in no more than 60ml bottles and everything had to be in my carry on. Batteries definitely not allowed in the check in bag.
That was with Emirates. United seemed to not care for some reason

PaulS69

ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
Last time I flew I was told the batteries had to be in their own protective case. Vape juice in no more than 60ml bottles and everything had to be in my carry on. Batteries definitely not allowed in the check in bag.
That was with Emirates. United seemed to not care for some reason

Thank you!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I fly almost every week. I bring 4 mech squonkers with me with the battery installed plus 4 spare batteries and four 50 ml bottles of e-juice. The e-juice needs to be less than 100 ml per bottle and in a 1 quart size zip lock bag and that bag needs to be placed in a bin for x-ray. Your mods and batteries need to be in your carry on bag. If you place your mods and batteries in checked luggage they will be confiscated. I take mine out as well as the spare batteries and place them in a bin or bowl before the x-ray so the TSA agent can see what they are. The airlines don't need to know what you got. I have never told them.

Are you staying within the USA? International is totally different and you need to check with the country you're going to.

PaulS69

ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
I fly almost every week. I bring 4 mech squonkers with me with the battery installed plus 4 spare batteries and four 50 ml bottles of e-juice. The e-juice needs to be less than 100 ml per bottle and in a 1 quart size zip lock bag and that bag needs to be placed in a bin for x-ray. Your mods and batteries need to be in your carry on bag. If you place your mods and batteries in checked luggage they will be confiscated. I take mine out as well as the spare batteries and place them in a bin or bowl before the x-ray so the TSA agent can see what they are. The airlines don't need to know what you got. I have never told them.

Are you staying within the USA? International is totally different and you need to check with the country you're going to.

Thank you!! Yes, staying in the US. Headed to Seattle.

VU Sponsors