Become a Patron!

food hates!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
hi ladies and gents, it may well just be me, have any of you got a real hatred for a particular food? there is one thing that i wont have in the house, if anyone outside walks past me eating it i honestly want to chuck up.my kids wont go near me with it and there are some bad situations when i get invited to bbq or friends dinner parties. what is it? dont laugh, its tomato sauce (i think you guys say ketchup) i grow and love fresh tomatoes but sauce actually makes me so so sick, oh and one more thing is watcking people sucking on ribs etc jeez they look like canibals! anyone else with a food nasty?
enjoy your day people, raining over here in tasmania, its 8am on sunday.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Liver. Parents tried to make me eat it at dinner when I was 6. I stuffed bite sizes into the slit in my chair. They found out after but didn't say anything. I think my dad saved me. Never had it since.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Liver. Parents tried to make me eat it at dinner when I was 6. I stuffed bite sizes into the slit in my chair. They found out after but didn't say anything. I think my dad saved me. Never had it since.
actually growing up in england most of us hated liver and brussleton sprouts oh and cauliflower.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Liver, no way, not gonna happen. As a kid I would rather go hungry if Mom cooked it. She finally gave up and would cook something else for my brother and I, but we still had to deal with that smell...

My wife knows better than to try to sneak any organs into dinner.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Dad used to like liver and onions. He would always get that at Shoneys for anyone that remembers them.
Uck, bleh........
actually, that is the only way i could eat liver. was that in the uk?

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ya gotta know how to cook liver properly. Same for Brussels sprouts. Prepared properly, yummy. Incorrectly, gag-o-matic.

Now bell peppers, on the other hand, are impossible to make edible. Whoever decided those horrors were food must have been beyond starving.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Offal is awful: Liver, kidneys, hearts, brains, all that stuff. Gack!

Also, I don't know if I hate it, because I have never wanted to try it: menudo, a traditional Mexican dish made from cow tripe. The whole idea of what it is, is simply unappealing to me.

Some things are cultural or habitual, not necessarily revolting in and of themselves. If you never had something before, the first bite will taste completely unfamiliar, so you might love or you might hate it. I never tasted goat meat until I had it as an adult in Mexico. I could not enjoy it, and pushed it away after one bite. It had a taste that was very strange and unappetizing to me.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Offal is awful: Liver, kidneys, hearts, brains, all that stuff. Gack!

Also, I don't know if I hate it, because I have never wanted to try it: menudo, a traditional Mexican dish made from cow tripe. The whole idea of what it is, is simply unappealing to me.

Some things are cultural or habitual, not necessarily revolting in and of themselves. If you never had something before, the first bite will taste completely unfamiliar, so you might love or you might hate it. I never tasted goat meat until I had it as an adult in Mexico. I could not enjoy it, and pushed it away after one bite. It had a taste that was very strange and unappetizing to me.
i have travelled a lot and i always want to try local stuff. in bangkok they give you a bowl with 4 small fish swimmingaround, yuc pick them out of the bowl and eat them urghhhhhhhhh,
and guys never go to the hands free restauraunt...never.

oh there is a place in scotland with a unique dish that only a couple of chefs can make. it is 5 different bords like turkey.pheasant, grouse etc they are cooked with a different stuffing around them. it comes to your table like a swiss roll slice, they are cooked inside of each other then as you cut it you get one inside the other with different stuffings . hope you know what i mean.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I normally will not go near organ meat, but I have eaten menudo. Every family has their own recipe and the ones I have tried were good. The first time I tried it a potential client, when I was in sales, offered it to me and of course I didn't want to offend. It surprised me that I liked it.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Liver, no way, not gonna happen. As a kid I would rather go hungry if Mom cooked it. She finally gave up and would cook something else for my brother and I, but we still had to deal with that smell...

My wife knows better than to try to sneak any organs into dinner.
have you tried slipping your organ in? ;)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I normally will not go near organ meat, but I have eaten menudo. Every family has their own recipe and the ones I have tried were good. The first time I tried it a potential client, when I was in sales, offered it to me and of course I didn't want to offend. It surprised me that I liked it.
It's very popular here. It's found on, I would say, a majority of the Mexican food restaurant menus.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i have travelled a lot and i always want to try local stuff. in bangkok they give you a bowl with 4 small fish swimmingaround, yuc pick them out of the bowl and eat them urghhhhhhhhh,
and guys never go to the hands free restauraunt...never.

oh there is a place in scotland with a unique dish that only a couple of chefs can make. it is 5 different bords like turkey.pheasant, grouse etc they are cooked with a different stuffing around them. it comes to your table like a swiss roll slice, they are cooked inside of each other then as you cut it you get one inside the other with different stuffings . hope you know what i mean.

They eat the fish alive? OMG I couldn't do it.

I am open minded. My dad always hunted, so I've eaten deer, boar, quail, dove, duck and other wild birds, and all sorts of fish and aquatic creatures the family caught on trips to lakes and the coast. I caught some of them myself. My uncle built a long pier at the coast, where he kept crab traps. In Louisiana swamp I've eaten frog meat that I gigged myself. I've had snake meat. I love French snails in garlic butter. I've had horse meat, but I didn't know that was what I was eating.

Isn't Scotland where they make haggis too? Never wanted to try that either.

Yah I've heard of the bird inside the bird inside the bird. Turducken, chicken inside a duck inside a turkey. Never had it. Some people have expressed concern about the most interior of the birds reaching safe temperature.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cheese, and it's a PITA, as so many meals come with cheese, even when I order a burger at a fast food place, I will request no cheese, and 95% of the time it will still come with cheese, as who doesn't like cheese....uhm that be me.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cheese, and it's a PITA, as so many meals come with cheese, even when I order a burger at a fast food place, I will request no cheese, and 95% of the time it will still come with cheese, as who doesn't like cheese....uhm that be me.
It really is so very irritating how they push cheese on you at the burger places. "Want cheese on that?" "NO!!!" (as if I couldn't say so if I wanted cheese). So then you check it when you get it, and if it's fast food check it before you leave the place, and if it has cheese, make them give you a new one. I do it every time. If enough people do it, they will stop doing that.

I like cheese, but combining it with a burger patty is excessive calories for me, and it blunts the taste of good beef.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
It was much better back when you had to ask for cheese on your burger, for the extra 10¢.
These days we mostly only produce/eat what's profitable.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It really is so very irritating how they push cheese on you at the burger places. "Want cheese on that?" "NO!!!" (as if I couldn't say so if I wanted cheese). So then you check it when you get it, and if it's fast food check it before you leave the place, and if it has cheese, make them give you a new one. I do it every time. If enough people do it, they will stop doing that.

I like cheese, but combining it with a burger patty is excessive calories for me, and it blunts the taste of good beef.

The worst one's are the ones that have 'hamburger' and 'cheeseburger' on their menu (Bionic Burger), which costs a bit more for the cheeseburger, so think will be safe if order hamburger, it will have no cheese, no they still put cheese on it :facepalm:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

I am open minded. My dad always hunted, so I've eaten deer, boar, quail, dove, duck and other wild birds, and all sorts of fish and aquatic creatures the family caught on trips to lakes and the coast. I caught some of them myself. My uncle built a long pier at the coast, where he kept crab traps. In Louisiana swamp I've eaten frog meat that I gigged myself. I've had snake meat. I love French snails in garlic butter. I've had horse meat, but I didn't know that was what I was eating.

Yah I've heard of the bird inside the bird inside the bird. Turducken, chicken inside a duck inside a turkey. Never had it. Some people have expressed concern about the most interior of the birds reaching safe temperature.
haggis came from the times when the lords in castles had feasts, when finished they tossed meat bones over the wall. the peasants got a sheeps bladder, scraped scraps of the bone and put ot in the bladder with herbs carrots etc, then boiled it. it tastes f!!king crap!!!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Chitterlings, they are some kind of gut thing, i think intestines of something, I with gopher, never would eat innerds

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

you think eating live fish is bad. wait till you go for a crap!!! lol

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

i have eaten bugs in africa, a snake and yes a animal testicle! please..no jokes about meat balls!!

VU Sponsors