Become a Patron!

FreeMax GEMM 25W Pod Mod Kit 1300mAh

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the GEMM 25W Pod Mod Kit from Freemax. The GEMM 25W Pod Mod Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Linda from Freemax.

https://www.freemaxvape.com/gemm-25w-pod-kit/

Introduction

Freemax best known for their Fireluke series of sub-ohm tanks and bringing both flavour and longevity to subohm stock coils release the Gemm 25W Pod Mod Kit which comprises of a simple low cost plastic device with 3 different power levels and their second disposable tank which is called the Gemm Pod rather than just the Gemm.

This seems to be a case of if you want to enter the Pod Mod market but don't actually have a Pod Mod then just call something a Pod Mod regardless, i just don't get it!

After getting that out the way the device itself when it arrived looked promising and as Freemax has never let me down yet when it comes to flavour the Gemm 25W Pod Mod? Kit is definitely worth a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x FreeMax GEMM Pod (MTL 1.0ohm)
1 x FreeMax GEMM Pod (DTL 0.5ohm)
1 x FreeMax GEMM 25W Pod Mod
2 x Replacement Silicone Plug
1 x USB Charger
1 x User Manual
1 x Warning Card
1 x Warranty leaflet

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Gemm Pod Mod is aimed at those on a budget and is a plastic device so while it's far from high end for what it is a good job has been done and ergonomically it's like a slimmer OBS Cube and likewise is very comfortable in the hand. The device is very lightweight so it doesn't fall with a thud so ideal for those occasions where you don't want to damage your more expensive device as this is surprisingly durable and if it was to fail at the price it would be easy to replace.

Gemm Pod Specs and Features:

Size: 45.3 x 23.0mm
Material: SS904L/PCTG
Capacity: 2ml
Filling Method: Top-filling
Drip tip: 8.6*11.9mm
Thread: 510
Pod Types: GEMM Pod DTL 0.5ohm, Heating Material: SS904L Mesh Coil, Power Range: 15-25W, Recommended Power: 20W
GEMM Pod MTL 1.0ohm, Heating Material: SS904L Mesh Coil, Power Range: 12-15W, Recommended Power: 14W
Resistance: 0.5ohm/1.0ohm
• 2ml capacity pod
• Support DTL (0.5Ω) & MTL (1.0Ω), Freebase & Nic Salt compatible
• Convenient top-fill and bottom-adjustable airflow
• The latest FM CoilTech 3.1, can fill the container up to 20 times
• The military-grade SS904L and exclusive Tea Fiber Cotton, more stable and durable
Colour: Black, Clear, Blue, Red

Let's Get It Out The Way

Although during the review i will be calling the disposable tank the Gemm Pod and the device the Pod Mod it's simply because that's what Freemax has named them but as already mentioned this is not either a Pod system or AIO set-up.

In fact having a regular 510 plate with 510 connector i have tried other MTL RTA's on the device and must say the Expromizer V4 worked particularly well. Likewise the Gemm Pods are actually disposable tanks with 510 threading which i have also tried on other devices and they work as well as any other disposable tank! The Gemm pods have a diameter or 23mm and sit on the 23mm 510 plate perfectly but up to 24mm atty's will sit on the device without overhang.

Gemm Pod Overview

The Gemm Pods like the Gemm are disposable plastic tanks so please dispose of responsibly after use. Unlike the original Gemm tanks these new Gemm Pod tanks are for much lower wattage and come in both a 0.5ohm DL and 1.0ohm MTL option.

The Gemm Pod coils are made from army grade SS904L Mesh and the wicking material used is Tea Fiber cotton, the combination is supposed to give both superior taste and longevity.

To be TPD compliant the capacity is 2ml and we have a top-fill method which comprises of an arrow head shaped bung which once removed (it stays attached to the tank) reveals a large filling port so it can be filled both quickly and mess free.

The airflow is fully adjustable and comprises of a single small slot which moves with a nicer tolerance than i find on most reusable more expensive tanks so a really good job done. The mouthpiece is attached but is shaped much as many 510 drip tips with a bore to suit both looser MTL and restricted direct lung vaping although the Gemm Pod does adjust down to give a very tight draw if you prefer.

Gemm Pod Mod Specs and Features:

Size: 121 x 25 x 24mm (with attached Gemm Pod)
Battery Capacity: 1300mah
Maximum Output Wattage: 25W
Wattage Adjustment: Click firing button 3 times
Thread: 510
Charging Port: Micro USB Port
Resistance Range: 0.5-3.0ohm
• Compact and ergonomic design, lightweight
• Smart and easy 3-level wattage adjustment
• Built-in 1300mAh Battery With 4 Levels Indicator
• Multiple protections: Short Circuit, Low Voltage, Low Resistance, Open Circuit, High-Temp, 10-Second Cut-off
Colour: Black, White, Blue, Red

Review Continued Below:

Last edited:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Operating The Gemm Pod Mod

The Gemm Pod Mod is a simple device giving 3 power levels which wattage output will be dependant on the resistance of the coil. It's called smart wattage but i imagine it's just 3 constant voltage output settings which obviously will give different wattage dependant on resistance but i guess when it comes to marketing doesn't smart wattage sound so much cleverer.

The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and both actions are confirmed by Watt flashing White 5 times. Once on each quick 3 clicks of the fire button takes you to the next power setting which is indicated by Watt lighting up in the colour that represents the particular setting, the settings are:

0.5ohm Gemm Pod

Red (Soft) = 15W
Blue (Medium) = 20W
Green (Hard) = 25W

1.0ohm Gemm Pod

Red (Soft) = 12W
Blue (Medium) = 14W
Green (Hard) = 15W

The device also shows battery status indication by having a column of percentages which are not visible apart from when pressing the fire button then the current indication lights up White, the indications are:

0%-25% = 25% lit up
26%-50% = 50% lit up
51%-75% = 75% lit up
76%-100% = 100% lit up

The percentages also light up while charging, not sure what the charge rate is but it took between 1.5 and 2 hours to charge which is a little sluggish but it does support pass through and also unlike many of these small budget devices that have the USB port on the base the USB port is on the face of the device which i like.

Protections

The Gemm Pod Mod has all the on-board safety protections you would expect, which are:

Short Circuit Protection
Low Resistance Protection
Low Voltage Protection
Open Circuit Protection
High Temperature Protection
10-Second Cut-Off

My Experience and Thoughts!

The device is what it is, a budget lightweight ergonomic device with power settings that work very well, at it's price point their is nothing to complain about and i can see it's usefulness and being able to use independently is a bonus.

Normally the mod is the star but here although the mod is perfectly decent it's the Gemm Pods that stand out they really are very good. I tried out the 1.0ohm Gemm Pod for a few refills checking it's flavour and different draws etc before switching to the 0.5ohm Gemm Pod to also check longevity.

The bore on the 1.0ohm coil must be slightly narrower as with the airflow fully open although a restricted lung hit was possible it was more suited fully open to a loose MTL. The 0.5ohm coil with airflow fully open gave a really nice restricted lung hit, in fact i closed the airflow down about 20% because it's surprisingly airy despite having only one narrow airflow slot. What i like about the Gemm Pods is with both coils the airflow can be micro managed through the full MTL spectrum including as tight as a cigarette pull although the 1.0ohm coil is better suited once you get below 25% open, the airflow is also smooth across the board.

The flavour from disposable tanks have surprised many and both the supplied Gemm Pod Tanks are rocking flavour and as for longevity (Freemax claim up to 20 refills) i have had between 13 and 15 refills (sorry i can't be exact i have been using it on and off over 4 weeks) in the 0.5ohm tank and the flavour is still all there! Because i have been using the kit on and off quite often a full tank of e-liquid has been left on top of the device for a couple of days and i experienced no leaking whatsoever.

There is a mistake in the manual saying the 1.0ohm coil is best with freebase and the 0.5ohm is best with nic salts, that should of been printed the other way around. The 1.0ohm coil did work well with 50/50 nic salts but i mainly used the same 70VG freebase with both Gemm Pods and they both wicked just fine. The Gemm Pods did need filling regularly especially the 0.5ohm but the top filling method made it very quick and mess free.

As mentioned i like the power settings and battery indication is also very good. The device is giving good value for it's 1300mAh being very efficient, when using the 0.5ohm Gemm Pod all day it needed charging just once put when i was using the 1.0ohm Gemm Pod it was lasting nearly all day. Of course this will vary depending how much you vape and what setting you use but i'm a heavy vaper, if that's anything to go by.

Charging though is sluggish, luckily it supports pass-through and all that's left to mention is the device gives a constant hum when firing which was annoying to start with but i just had to check if it's still doing it (which it is) as after a while i didn't notice it.

Low Price
For plastic low budget device made well
4 colour options
4 Gemm Pod colour options (to match device)
3 power settings
Power settings indications
Good battery status indication
Multiple safety protections
lightweight and Portable
Fires instantly and performs well
Quick mess free top-fill
Adjustable airflow (moves with nice tolerance)
Smooth airflow
Restricted direct lung and full MTL spectrum
Both Gemm Pods gave cracking flavour
Good longevity with Gemm Pods
No leaking experienced
Efficient
Supports pass-through
Both Gemm Pod Mod and Gemm Pods can be used independently

Cons

Incorrectly named (not a Pod Mod or Pods)
Plastic budget device (not for everyone)
Hum when firing (I got use to it)
Mistake in Manual
Sluggish charging

I would once again like to thank Linda from Freemax for supplying the GEMM 25W Pod Mod Kit 1300mAh for the purpose of this review.

https://www.freemaxvape.com/gemm-25w-pod-kit/

Last edited:

VU Sponsors