Become a Patron!

Freemax Onnix review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

The Freemax Onnix pod system was sent to me by Freemax as a first batch, testing only version with a request that I contact Freemax with any technical/design problems.

It's nice to see a company having the patience to run a decent testing program, rather than just getting something on the market as soon as possible.
DSC_0014.jpg
What is it?

The Onnix is a 20W, 1100mAh pod system, with a 3.5ml pod (non-TPD version), a choice of two replaceable coils, three power settings, adjustable airflow and a choice between button fire and autodraw.

• 0.5omh SS904L mesh coil - 16W/18W/20W
  • 1.0ohm dual vertical coil - 9W/11W/13W
Freemax also promises that it is 100% compatible with all flavors and comparable with the best 30w sub-ohm tanks - these are bold claims, so let's find out if the product backs up its claims.
DSC_0022.jpg
Operation

Five clicks to turn on and off - four clicks to switch between fire button + autodraw and autodraw only mode - three clicks to cycle between the three color-coded power modes.

What I like about it

• Flavor - I expected good performance from Freemax and wasn't disappointed, the flavor is excellent with both pods and had no issues with different flavors or PG/VG ratios. It is a level about the normal flavor for this type of pod system. The 0.5ohm coil performs best with airflow from 3/4 to fully open, while the 1.0ohm coil is great all the way from 100% closed to 100% open.
  • Airflow - the Onnix has dual airflow - one side has a tiny fixed hole, the other side is adjustable - it's also the most precisely adjustable airflow I've experienced on a pod to date. The airflow adjustment along with the power settings work especially well with the 0.5ohm coil to fine tune your vape.
  • Coil longevity - Freemax claim 8 refills for the 0.5ohm coil and 5 refills for the 1.0ohm coil - my coils performed way beyond that claim. Obviously, coil life can vary a lot depending on juice choice, power settings and vaping style. Just don't be an idiot like me, let the pod get completely empty and then try to vape it - I killed one coil that way.
  • Battery life - 1100mAh lasts well, especially when you stick to the lower power settings. With most juices, I didn't find the need to push the power at all.
  • Leaks - There is a tiny amount of moisture on the bottom of the coil after extended use, but nothing close to a leak.
What I don't like about it

• Refil tab - it's really hard to grab hold of it. I ended up using tweezers to open it. When I contacted Freemax about this, they told me that this is something they are aware of and the production batch will have a solution to resolve this issue.
  • Autodraw sensitivity - with airflow closed it was perfect, however with airflow fully open it isn't senstive enough for my vaping style. Just to clarify, this isn't a response time issue, it just needs a little more draw pressure than I'd like to activate autodraw.
  • Throat hit - with the 0.5ohm coil and airflow closed, I wasn't getting the level of throat hit that I look for in MTL. I would have liked the fixed airflow to be just a fraction tighter, that might have increased the MTL performance.
Onnix-20W-Kit-Colors.jpg
We Vape, We Save!

Freemax are running a campaign in which you can get a free coil for every five coils that you recycle. The main reason that I like this campaign is that anything that makes the vaping industry and vapers look responsible in the eyes of the media is a good thing.
Onnix-20W-Kit-Dual-Airflow-Mechanism-for-RDL-MTL-Vaping-Needs.jpg
Conclusion

Firstly, Freemax's claims of performing like a 30W sub-ohm tank and working with all juices are pretty accurate - it does perform a decent amount of vapor/flavor at low wattages and I didn't find a single juice that didn't perform perfectly in the Onnix.

If you're looking for an MTL pod system there are better options out there, but if you want a very restricted DTL to restricted DTL pod system, then the Onnix is great.

If I had to compare it to something, it's a similar experience to the Haku Venna - a nicely restricted and low powered vape with the focus on pure flavor.

VU Sponsors