Become a Patron!

Fruit flavors... realistic vs candy

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I first started mixing I was obsessed that all my fruit flavors had to be "realistic". I accidentally ordered some flavors that were more "candy" I ended up liking them (mostly because of childhood memories) CAP sweet tangerine is not total candy (and quite good) I mixed it with ice cream (like and old school 50/50 bar... original popsicle, before creamsicle was a thing) I enjoyed that so much. Also, got PUR strawberry swirl (thinking it was an ice cream... it's more like a lifesavers candy) I'm sort of "strawberry blind" but could taste this one. Also got a "one-shot"... Quick from LB. It's strawberry Quick (another childhood memory) but it needed more SB so I added the strawberry swirl (spot on what I remembered) BTW it's also similar to "crunch berry" flavor (CC cereal if anyone is interested) I have realized I like both... realistic and candy (but not into "jolly rancher" or "sweet tarts" flavors) So... what do you like? All realistic, all candy or some of each? Feel free to post your opinions and also specific examples. Another thing I got into was fruits with chocolate (candy flavors work well for this)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A spin-off to this topic... fruit with mint. Peppermint, spearmint, koolada, WS-23... whatever floats your boat. I fell in love with PUR buttermint and have never looked back. Tried it with many fruits and melon was the best. Lemon was also nice, orange, ect. I even tried it with a pre-made green apple (that I don't like) and was surprised it was good. What fruits do you like with mint?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I am not a big fan of fruit in real life, rarely ever eat it at all. Have come to like and appreciate a good strawberry vape, but the flavors I lean toward are mostly candy-ish, like Cap Strawberry Taffy. I also like grape and most citrus flavors. If I use an apple flavor, I have to be very careful with the percentages, because it gets overpowering to me very easily.

As far as "iced" flavors go, I mostly like berries and ice (don't much like berries without ice, except for strawberry, although I have occasionally found good use for berry & pomegranate flavors in cocktail recipes, like Sloe Gin Fizz). I use mint flavors with chocolates, and in milkshake- and cheesecake-type recipes. I also use a lot of Wintergreen in various bubble gum recipes. Love me some Wintergreen. :)

I have Spearmint but haven't tried it yet. So much time has gone by since I mixed, I don't even remember what I had in mind for the Spearmint. Have to say, though, that IRL it's my least favorite mint.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@nadalama , thank your for the feedback (although not what I expected... that's good, I wanted a variety of opinions) Do you do DIY? just curious about your comment You mention "iced"... what specifically do you use for that (I actually have only tried butter mint so might want to try other options) Seems some like "koolada" or like "WS" but not both. I freaking love wintergreen candy (but have heard it's actually bad to vape... don't know but I do know it's not related to mint) Yes... mint (like peppermint) with chocolate! Mint with cheesecake... might have to try that (like chocolate cheesecake with tangerine and mint) I like trying different things (no rules... e-liquid doesn't know the difference) What wintergreen flavor do you use?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, I've vaped mostly my own recipes for about 2.5 years, until I found some really inexpensive pre-made liquid and bought a ton of it. That's been a while back now, truthfully I don't remember how long. I had a bunch of my own stuff already mixed, so for a while I've vaped a combination of that DIY plus the pre-made. I'll go back to mixing my own in the next few months.

My favorite Wintergreen is TFA. Up till now I have used Koolada , but soon I will try WS-23. I had already bought some and just haven't mixed with it yet. Another mint that I like is Flv Creme de Menthe. It works great in a butter mint milkshake.

The mint-and-cheesecake reference goes back to some casual mixing challenges we had here in this thread maybe a little over a year ago. @wildgypsy70 would post a pic of a drink, or a dessert, whatever struck her fancy, then the mixers who felt like taking up the challenge would develop a recipe and share it. One of the recipes I made was a Candy Cane Cheesecake, which I loved and will definitely mix again.

I hope this link to the recipe is right. I think it will at least put you on the right page.

Don't put too much stock in the time periods I've specified. I have been at home now for two years, and that has screwed up my sense of time-passing in an unbelievable way.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I always mix fruit with cheesecake... never tried mint with that (might play with that idea) I like trying all sorts of "out of the box" things. I have this mentality that e-liquid doesn't know the difference (just because you might not do this in real life... who cares?) Chocolate berry cheesecake with mint... why not?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like a bit of each. Truer to life fruit flavors seem more refreshing but often 'real' fruit isn't overly sweet and a lot of times can be a bit sour, tart etc. I like mildly candied fruit flavors sometimes, not straight up now and laters or blow pops candy or anything. Loranns banana cream I use a lot of in a recipe, it's a mild candyish banana. Not full blown runts to me (dislike runts). More like laffy taffy maybe if any sort of candy. I do like real fruit and berries. Fa forest fruit is a good one even mixed solo around 4-5% and if you like iced stuff could likely mix a cooling agent whether mint, ws23 or whatever.

Some I have a hard time with, like banana. A lot of banana flavors are too rich, cooked, overripe or something to me. But then when I eat a real banana I don't like them as much once they've turned yellow with darker brown spots. Prefer them maybe 30-50% green just starting to turn yellow. When the peel snaps open.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Some I have a hard time with, like banana. A lot of banana flavors are too rich, cooked, overripe or something to me. But then when I eat a real banana I don't like them as much once they've turned yellow with darker brown spots. Prefer them maybe 30-50% green just starting to turn yellow. When the peel snaps open.
My wife is like that... I'm the opposite (they have to be fully ripe) But... I like laffy taffy banana so for vape flavors, I could go either way (but no runts!) The only banana flavor I have is WF banana puree... love it but wouldn't mind trying a more candy one just to compare.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I vape fruit flavors almost exclusively. Never could get into desserts or creams and custards. They are all ok to me, but very sparingly. Like couple times a year sparingly, lol. I like real and candy fruit vapes, doesn't much matter to me. I alwats mix them with either menthol or ice, but not mint. I like a good throat hit, but not through nic, and can't do to much PG (no more than 30%). RFSC strawberry and menthol or ice is my adv. Easy and I love it 😁 The only mainstay exception is a one shot by LB called white chocolate peppermint. Love that in the mornings with my coffee. I also love fruit irl, so I guess it makes sense.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The only mainstay exception is a one shot by LB called white chocolate peppermint.
I'm vaping that right now 👍 I like variety during the day but my morning go to is my tobacco mix (a nutty RY4) Have you tried mixing kiwi/peach/watermelon? It's my new favorite fruit vape.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm vaping that right now 👍 I like variety during the day but my morning go to is my tobacco mix (a nutty RY4) Have you tried mixing kiwi/peach/watermelon? It's my new favorite fruit vape.
Sounds good, I was never really able to taste kiwi when I used it, so haven't had any around for a while. I mix watermelon and peach alot. Another LB I really like is water malone, it gets used a lot. I do one I call SLAP! strawberry lime apple peach, another fav of mine.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Another LB I really like is water malone
That's what I use in the kiwi/peach/watermelon. One other of wayne's one-shot worth mentioning... Quik (it's strawberry quik like you mix with milk) I add some PUR strawberry swirl to it (very similar flavor) I jut like it because of childhood memories.

VU Sponsors