Become a Patron!

Fused Clapton Coil Wires for MTL

Invisible Rasta

Member For 5 Years
Hello guys, I am building my fused claptons for my rda's for a long time. I have recently switched to MTL and i am wondering what is the best wire for it. At this moment I m using 2*28awg KA1 wires wrapped in 40awg N80 wire. 5 wraps around 2,5mm bit. They come out to 0.50ohm. I am vaping this coils from 12 to 15Watts

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not really into the MTL stuff. People have posted about liking the Vandy Vape MTL stuff. I think they have a few sizes though. Maybe you can peek at the specs of those..

I use 28ga fused claptons in my dual coil atomizers. I wrap it about 6 times around a 3mm jig, and vape at 50-60W.

Invisible Rasta

Member For 5 Years
wah that is too much wattage for me xD
most than anything i was wondering on what kind of wires to buy to amke my own fused clapton for MTL

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
wah that is too much wattage for me xD
most than anything i was wondering on what kind of wires to buy to amke my own fused clapton for MTL

For the most part this comes down to what you desire from the wire.

Do you want it to heat up and cool down quick? If so NiChrome 80 wire might be best suited for you.

Are you looking for me of an even, radiant kind of heat? You might want to try Stainless Steel 316 L wire for that.

Not really sure how you want the heat, or want consistency? There's a chance you may want to use Kanthal A1 wire.

I m using 2*28awg KA1 wires wrapped in 40awg N80 wire.

Yes, as you can see you can combine different types of wire to build a coil. Again, it all depends on what you desire. Hope I've offered at least a little help. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The Geekvape Fused Clapton MTL wire I've bought was 2x26/38 N80, so what you're doing is close.

However, you might get better results for what you want with a single strand of 26ga wrapped in 36 or 38. You'll be able to use more wraps of that in your device, generally, because the wire isn't as wide.'

Kanthal will give you a bit higher resistance than the same sizes of N80 or SS. It is slower to heat up, though. I'm too impatient for Kanthal. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I was sitting here thinking about your original post.

Doesn't it take those coils you're building now FOREVER to get hot?

I really think you'd be better off with a N80 26/36 Clapton (single core), about 8-10 wraps around a 2.5 mm rod, a contact coil, for vaping at 20W or below. You want to end up with a coil that's between 0.8 ohms and 1.2 ohms for that wattage level.

jslaughter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've used the ni80 in this and like it. I use the 30gx2=+38g

I run this with 6 wraps made on a 2.5mm rod, run at between 15 and 17w comes out to about .75ohm

Great flavor and fast ramp up for mtl

Guess i should mention im running this wire in both my berserker v2 mtl rta and my stng rda. Works great for both.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ni80 in this and like it. I use the 30gx2=+38g
This is about the territory I would point to for mtl personally. Light mass, high resistance, low power.

I am certainly not the last word on this. There are folks around here who have been building for mtl a whole lot longer than I have.

jslaughter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really enjoy the vape at this wattage range and with this wire. Great flavor and don't cloud up the room. I usually make my mixes 50/50 so some clouds but set my draw tight to focus on throat hit more.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
We end up at almost the same place. 8 wraps of 26/36 is about 0.8 ohms.

More than one way to skin a cat.

The Vandy Vape MTL wire is nice. So are Geekvape and Wotofo. There are choices out there without having to build your own, and they work perfectly fine.

VU Sponsors