Become a Patron!

General nic salt / pod vape questions

Been using a Smok Nord 2pod for about 4 months with Nic salts. Gave up smoking cigarettes instantly so generally very happy with my decision. A couple of questions. I am using a 0.8 MTL coil in the pod, 14 watts

Firstly when I first gave up smoking and went on the vape, my lungs were clearer than they had been for years (long term smoker). After about 2 months I noticed I was starting to get congested most of the day. As if there was liquid in my lungs. Very hard to cough up too. I started off vaping about 14 watts which I think is recommended for this coil. After about 2 months I had reduced the wattage down to 12 and then to 10. I thought the flavor was better but I wondered if by doing this maybe the coil wasn't burning the juice as well and maybe I was taking raw juice in my lungs? What are the basics of coil wattage settings? Is it just if it tastes good do it or is there anything more scientific to it? Can you have the coil set too high or low? I change coils every one to 2 weeks

My second question is does it effect the flavor when the pod is near full, compared to near empty? I mean does the coil not soak the juice up as well when it is getting low? I never let the tank run completely dry. Always at least 2 mm in the bottom. It does seem to improve the flavor if I lay the pod down to, rather than stand the pod up. Maybe it allows the juice to soak into the coil better? I find at different times it tastes better if I lower or raise the wattage too. Does any of that make sense?

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yes, I understand.

It could be from the eliquid.
Some people can not tolerate VG or PG as well as others.

Do you use the same brand eliquid?
Also what is the PG/VG ratio of the eliquid?
What brand and flavor eliquid is it?

The setting are based on your personal preference.
The only thing that would happen if you had the wattage too low would be you would not get any or much vapor.
If it's set too high that can be a problem.
You would have probably tasted a burning taste if the wattage was set too high

I don't think an 0.8 ohm coil at 14 watts would be a high enough of wattage to cause a problem.

As for the second question.
I try to top the pods off when they get down to halfway or a third full.
When the eliquid is very low you can risk burning the coil.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
While using maximum VG juice experienced a feeling of being congested, myself. This last order of "base" juice I ordered a liter of 50/50. It may wind up being closer to 60% PG if I use flavorings with the juice.

In any case, I felt a need to try more PG with the juice from the congestion issue. VG is thicker and possibly could be causing the congestion, either physiologically or psychologically. Doesn't matter to me, will try thinner juice see if it helps.

Hope this is helpful, though it is only sharing my experience.

Well funnily enough since making this post the congestion seems to have gone away somewhat. I have stopped filling the pod to near the top, only fill to about 85%, and top up when getting below half. I try and keep the unit upright as much as possible too. I actually got a reply back from Nord and they gave me pretty much the same advice. Don't fill too much. Keep unit upright. These Nords are a bit leaky sometimes, I see others complaining about it so maybe that happens when you fill the pod right to the top.

I have pretty much been using the same brand. Brand I get is called mystic. I am an Aussie living in Thailand so not sure if available in the US or back home. It is a budget brand. I have tried a few flavors but the cola seems to be the only decent one. At least smooth anyway and have had quite a few bottles. Always good and consistent. The same brand but different flavors (pineapple, vanilla etc) just awful. Like chalk and cheese. Very rough smoke, dry throat feeling...like smoking with an old coil. Tried all sorts of wattages too from 8 to 16 watts. Its just rubbish.

I tried some Marlboro ice mint or something too and was pretty harsh to. I think all of them 50% PG / VG.

I am happy to find one flavor / brand and stick with it, not really into fancy flavors etc only wanted to give up smoking, but the suppliers regularly run out here, probably worse now I imagine supply chains slowed with covid. Thanks for the advice guys. Very hard to get replies on any of the vape forums

VU Sponsors