Become a Patron!

Getting started with batteries

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't know whether to put this in here or battery junkies. I guess you could call me a vaping newbie but I'm trying to figure out the conversion with the usage of volts and ohms to calculate if my lithium ion batteries are going to blow my face off or not. I am getting a 0.2 ohm atomizer (herakles sub ohm) and am going to be using 18650 batteries at 3.7 volts each. I'm not sure if I will be using two batteries or one. The atomizer tank can withstand 35-70 watts. I did some calculations and the watts for .2 ohms and 3.7 volts came to something crazy above 70 (like 980). I'm just wondering if this is correct or if I'll be safe. Any experienced answers will help. Thanks in advanced!

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
3.7V is the nominal charge value... you are actually running at near 4.2V from a fully charged 18000 series battery. Using that, and your 0.2Ω net resistance, you'll discharge 88 watts / 21 amps.This value decreases as the battery discharges.

Very few batteries advertised as 30, 35 38 and 40 have an actual safe continuous discharge beyond 30A. The advertised values are actually pulse rates (continuous amperage potential in a specific time frame... usually 10~30 seconds) and are pushing battery temperatures to the point where battery life if reduced, and may possibly lead to a dangerous, thermal runaway.

I would, if you've not yet purchased batteries, review Mooch's "vape-centric" comparative testing data on ECF for unbiased and factual information.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know for the most part that sub ohm vaping isn't necessarily for beginners. I'm just wondering if anyone can specifically point me in the direction of what battery I should buy that will safely allow me to use this mod. I appreciate the chart and have been doing extensive research but I partially just want a concrete answer from someone who knows what they're doing to the fullest extent.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, this will be best put in battery area, Good luck:) Nice to meet you:) Welcome to VU

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The difference between a mechanical mod and a regulated makes a difference.

Rather its a single battery or a dual battery device makes a difference as well.

So question number 1
What device did you plan to use your herakles with a .2 ohm coil with?

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My friend has built me a custom box mod and told me to buy 2 batteries. I'm assuming he told me to buy 2 for one as a backup but I have not received the box beyond pictures. I'm getting a Herakles Sub ohm tank and have already bought .2 ohm coil replacements for it.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For a mech box just get Sony VTC4 batteries and not have to worry about anything as far as them being able to handle the load of a .2 ohm easily.

For higher ohms you could get away with 20 amp cells such as the samsung 25r's....I use those on my .4 or higher builds..technically they can handle more but i like a large safety margin.

LG HE2 or HE4 cells are also good 20 amp batteries.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So essentially, as long as I stay in the 20 Amp range I should be fine? I'mo going to check out the Sony VTC4. I was thinking of just visiting a shop once I get all the parts and asking them what my best option is. The box mod doesnt have a visual display or anything on it so that's what concerns me is just the lack of knowledge without an LED display. I know sub ohm vaping isnt recommended for beginners but it was the tank my friend recommended I buy and this was before I did my research. I am currently using a kanger Protank 3 with a Ego x2 battery and am ready to make the switch to better vapor.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also just found out that the box requires two batteries. Are the sony VTC4 really 30A or are they just labeled as such?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I also just found out that the box requires two batteries. Are the sony VTC4 really 30A or are they just labeled as such?

The VTC4 is one of the very few that actually is 30A. As a general rule any big company (Sony, LG, Samsung, etc) has legitimate ratings and any vape-specific company you should be very wary of their ratings.

If you have two batteries in parallel (note, not in series, unless it's regulated) then you can cut the amps in half (minus a little bit of safety margin). So if you're at 0.2 ohms and 2 batteries you're down to only 11A or so and most of the standard batteries like Samsung 25R or LG HG2 will be a great choice.

If you're doing that with only one battery then you're over 20A and to be safe I'd use a 30A battery like the VTC4.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Make sure your battery's Are married, meaning that they go everywhere together, charge at the same time and only used when are together best thing to do is write 1 and 2 on them I recommend the battery I use for my mech mod (authentic nemesis @.15ohms) is the Sony c4 battery, I love it :) happy vaping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the box definitely takes 2 batteries. Here are the HG2s I found. Will these work okay?

http://www.vapordna.com/LG-18650-HG2-20A-3000-mAh-Battery-p/lg0004.htm

I appreciate all the warm feedback from everybody. Thank you!
As you have discovered, battery choices can be complicated. There's so much to consider it can be overwhelming.

The VTC4 is a good choice. It has the highest amp limit balanced with good capacity of any cell you can buy.

To add to the complication, mechanicals that take two cells can be wired in two ways.

Parallel mods are wired to run at the same voltage as a single cell. The benefits are increased battery life (roughly double) and an increased amp limit. Two 30A cells in a parallel mod can be considered to give you a 45A window of relative safety.

Series mods are more complicated. They're wired as if the cells were sitting on top of each other in a row (figuratively speaking) meaning you get double the voltage (8.4V) but the amp limit you have to ok play with is the same as a single cell. I'm trying not to go into information over load on you, it's never nice to have someone puking up info all over a post, but you need to build higher resistance for series, and there are some major advantages to it.

Find out how the box you're getting is wired. The guy will (should) be able to answer you easily and with confidence. It will most likely be parallel. If it's series, then a 0.2 ohm coil will be a theoretical 320W Vape, so would be a no go in my opinion, plus it would need 42A, so rather risky.

Apologies if all that seemed a bit too much info, but with mechanicals it's good to learn a bit more in depth stuff about them. Start gradually, I did. Build up knowledge on how it's wired, the wattage you'll end up getting for a certain ohm coil and you'll be very happy because you become more in control of your Vape.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i appreciate the complicated response because I want to learn more rather than end up blowing my face off. As I didn't' realize how difficult the idea of batteries can be, I'm glad I can learn. @Nemisisvaper would you recommend the VTC4 30A for a parallel mod? They do seem to be the best as I have looked at a pass/fail chart and they seem to have the highest capacity of passing for higher current. I will be sticking to my Protank until I figure this all out. He recommended me getting the yellow MXNOs but when I originally ordered them, I soon found out their wattage was far to high for the sub ohm tank. He said his friends have used his box with a .08 ohms mod and has never had an issue with the MXNOs. Very confusing, but I'm willing to learn.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As he said make sure it is parallel wired as we are assuming it is since running a 0.2 coil with series wired batteries is a recipe for disaster. Assuming it is, different batteries have different advantages:
VTC4 gives you the most room to potentially go lower in ohms, and gives you more factor of safety. 2100mAh, 30A.
HG2 you shouldn't really go any more sub ohm than that, but it's good point is you'll get more mAh meaning longer time between charges. 3000mAh, 20A.
25R is like the HG2 but a bit less mAh (But still more than the VTC4) and a significantly lower price. 2500mAh, 20A.

Any of those choices should work well, it's a matter of whether you'd rather have flexibility with the batteries or you want a longer run time or you want lower cost.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks again to everyone that has helped me out. I have ordered a pair of HG2 Batteries based off of everyone's responses. I hope to be an active member of this forum once I get going. I'll be playing the waiting game for now!

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, what a relief. I was under the impression if it was series id be unable to use them. I just picked up the box today and it's a beauty.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I honestly feel so annoying with these continuous questions. I also have a prototank 3.0 that takes 1.8ohm coils as well as a stock atomizer I have that I usually use 2.2ohm coils for. Can I use these in a series box with the HG2s? Thanks for everyones help, Especially @NemisisVaper!

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I honestly feel so annoying with these continuous questions. I also have a prototank 3.0 that takes 1.8ohm coils as well as a stock atomizer I have that I usually use 2.2ohm coils for. Can I use these in a series box with the HG2s? Thanks for everyones help, Especially @NemisisVaper!
I wouldn't like to put 8V+ through a Proton head. When I was using an Aerotank, around 5V was just about doable. Anythung else was a push really. 8v is a lot.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so just to get this all straight (sorry to be a pain in the ass I'm excited and nervous for this new mod)

Series box
2 18650 lg hg2s
Herakles .2 ohm subtank

Does all of that check out as safe?

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so just to get this all straight (sorry to be a pain in the ass I'm excited and nervous for this new mod)

Series box
2 18650 lg hg2s
Herakles .2 ohm subtank

No mate. That's way too low ohm for a series box. You'd be pumping 320W into a Heracles coil. They won't even take 100W as far as I know.

You really need to be rebuilding with series. You would also be at double the amp limit of the cells running a 0.2ohm build. 42A approx bud.

0.2 ohm at 4.2v is very nice. To get that on series you need to quadruple the resistance to 0.8 ohm. The magic of series makes this the same wattage as 0.2 and 4.2v at half the Ampage.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Series box
2 18650 lg hg2s
Herakles .2 ohm subtank

Unless I'm missing something, no that's not safe at all. The box needs to be wired in parallel, or you need to go waaaay up in ohms. Most of us were talking about parallel boxes. I see that NemesisVapor replied after you mentioned series but I'm not sure he realized how low you were going in ohms. When he said "up to 0.42 ohms" he meant 0.42 ohms or higher. Even that is pushing it.

I personally wouldn't use the HG2 all the way at its 20A limit either although it should be OK. That cell thrives more at 10-15A.

There's really no reason to go series here, parallel is better for what you're trying to do. Going series without regulation is not a good idea, and if you're going to attempt it you really need to know what you're doing...

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So what batteries would you recommend? My friend recommended the yellow mxno but they are sold out. The hg2s come in the mail today and I might save them for a parallel box I'll get in the future. I was thinking about going to batteries plus today and getting stronger ones if that's the cssee

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you put two batteries in series, at 0.2 ohms, you're trying to run as much power into your e-cigarette as many mopeds run, but with just two little batteries.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What type ohm tank can I use that will work well with the hg2s. I have a 2.2ohms Protank I use and the Heracles tank comes with a .6 ohm coil as well

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so if the box is parallel the hg2s will work? Idk if my friend who built it told me correctly I'll take a picture

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is the inside of the box. The only reason I was convinced it was series was because I thought it was -++- instead of -+-+

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 7

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
unless there's something really funky going on in there under the hood it does look like it's series. Has this friend built multiple of these, and what kind of coil does he use it with?

0.6 should be OK from the battery perspective, would be around 120W, but I have no idea if that coil can handle 8.4V, you'd have to look that up yourself we only supply batteries so I don't know much about the coils themselves.

And my normal disclaimer I never recommend series mechanical mods so I'm just saying what theoretically could work.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my friend has made a lot of these and he told me one of his friends uses the MXJO is with like a .14 ohm coil. I was kinda confused by that.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's possible he has it wired parallel, sounds like you need to talk to him and clarify how it's hooked up

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I asked him and he kept going back and forth whether it was parallel or series. He then said its series because it's a series of batteries

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
can he answer how the wires from the batteries are hooked up? Which battery terminals are connected together? If the positive of one is connected to the negative of the other, then they're series. If the positives are kept separate from the negatives, then it's parallel.

Honestly I wouldn't trust anything this guy made, he obviously doesn't even know basic electronics.

MXJOs are the same thing as Efests.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He's originally a mechanic. I went out a bought an I stick 30w with a subtank mini and the flavor tastes burnt. I'm gonna change the cotton or use the herakles .6 on it when I get it. It was the display version so I'm guessing it has been sitting around. I'm thinking about emailing Kanger for a new one

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He's originally a mechanic. I went out a bought an I stick 30w with a subtank mini and the flavor tastes burnt. I'm gonna change the cotton or use the herakles .6 on it when I get it. It was the display version so I'm guessing it has been sitting around. I'm thinking about emailing Kanger for a new one
Depends what wattage you're running that kangertech sub tank at and juice thickness. Try at 20W and work up. I could never get 30W from mine with thicker than 40VG.

Sadly,it sounds like your friend is very good with his hands and building stuff, but lacks basic knowledge of batteries, series and parallel, ohms law etc. If someone ran a 0.14 ohm series they'd get a gob full of burnt, unless it was with a pair of immensely large super duper twisted Clapton type jobs. I can't even get 0.16 ohm 24AWG (2mm coil diameter 5 wraps)to work well at 4.2V there's so little metal there for surface area that it dry hits even when wet.

Agree with Jon. Forget this box. Series is for when you've come as far as you can with single and parallel and need much higher wattages. Even a Kangertech Subtank 1.2ihm coil on it would give over 50W, which would burn the he'll out of it.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I appreciate your guys help. Now if only hed give me my money back

VU Sponsors