Become a Patron!

Grieving Dog

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On Wednesday we had to put my parents’ dog to sleep and since I watched the dog everyday my dog is very much upset since she knows he’s not here anymore. How do you comfort a grieving dog? I sit with her and try to be supportive like a would a person but it doesn’t seem to help. Any tips?

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
That's a tough one, losing a pet is tough enough on us but for a dog's companion it has to be rough.

Do something with her that she likes to get her mind off of it a little bit. If she likes going for walks or going for a ride something like that might help.

Good luck, I feel your pain. :(

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh, I know how tough that is. I'm so sorry.

My Penny kitty really isolated after our Bosco passed. She's still quite content in being by herself. She does come out to greet me, late at night, she likes my dog, she doesn't like the other cat I got, in hopes that having a companion for her might help. It didn't.

I guess like people, only time heals. Love, hugs and time. I'm so sorry pup.

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There is always bringing a new puppy home for one to become an instant Mommy or Daddy for. Doesn't always work but most times it does. Save a rescue pooch and give it a new loving home. Just an idea.

I’ve thought about that and the idea of a black...or chocolate lab puppy around the house isn’t something I’m opposed to.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Condolences to all. Best thing is to just carry on with her normal routine. It can take quite a while for her to stop moping but as long as she eats she'll come around. When Em's cat Jasper died she grieved for a few weeks but I just kept to our normal routines with exercise and feeding, etc.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We just lost that beautiful girl in my avatar... her partner is inconsolable, having been with her for his entire life. They are livestock guardians, and he's so depressed that she's gone that he's gone "off duty" and let a coyote come onto the property. We've lost one chicken already that I know of (because now I have 13 orphaned chicks), so I'm hoping he comes around soon. It's only been three days, though, and I know it will take time. I've been spending as much time with Jasper as I can, trying not to emote "sad" energy, which is very difficult, but instead just trying to feel love for him, which is actually pretty easy. Lots of soft talking, a few cookies here and there, and trying to use my happy voice when I can. It's so hard for the partner dog, because the dog that's now gone was such a huge part of their life. The only thing I think you can do is be there for her, be happy and supportive, and let time heal the wound. I heard Jasper barking last night, so maybe he's starting to take an interest in protection again, however, I wish there was a magic wand you could wave and make them all better RIGHT NOW.

Just be good to your dog, try to act happy around her, love her lots, do normal things, and she'll get over it eventually. She takes her cues from you and can read your energy like you read a book, so as long as YOU are happy, she'll become happy. Good luck, I know it's hard.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We just lost that beautiful girl in my avatar... her partner is inconsolable, having been with her for his entire life. They are livestock guardians, and he's so depressed that she's gone that he's gone "off duty" and let a coyote come onto the property. We've lost one chicken already that I know of (because now I have 13 orphaned chicks), so I'm hoping he comes around soon. It's only been three days, though, and I know it will take time. I've been spending as much time with Jasper as I can, trying not to emote "sad" energy, which is very difficult, but instead just trying to feel love for him, which is actually pretty easy. Lots of soft talking, a few cookies here and there, and trying to use my happy voice when I can. It's so hard for the partner dog, because the dog that's now gone was such a huge part of their life. The only thing I think you can do is be there for her, be happy and supportive, and let time heal the wound. I heard Jasper barking last night, so maybe he's starting to take an interest in protection again, however, I wish there was a magic wand you could wave and make them all better RIGHT NOW.

Just be good to your dog, try to act happy around her, love her lots, do normal things, and she'll get over it eventually. She takes her cues from you and can read your energy like you read a book, so as long as YOU are happy, she'll become happy. Good luck, I know it's hard.
I'm very sorry for your loss. :( :hug:

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How is your pooch doing? Every time I see this thread title it makes me sad because our fur buddies shouldn't be sad or remorseful. I wish I could come over and mush with her myself~!

Luna isn’t moping around anymore so I think she’s doing better. She still lays in Bj’s spot in front of the couch from time to time but she doesn’t seem miserable...she did get a monster bone from the pet store which distracted her a bit lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Luna isn’t moping around anymore so I think she’s doing better. She still lays in Bj’s spot in front of the couch from time to time but she doesn’t seem miserable...she did get a monster bone from the pet store which distracted her a bit lol

Luna is my Cousins Name~! That is good to hear and her being in that spot is because she can still smell and feel him there. There are places I go years later I still feel my lost ones. Worst is working in the garden where my little buddy is buried. Always makes me stop and tell him how much I miss him. Shit just typing that brought a tear to my eye since I was just there a few hours ago. It gets easier as time goes on but still hurts no matter how long.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry for your loss. It's not only hard on us but their fur breatheren as well. Hope he pulls around. Makes me wanna hug mine like the abominable snowman on bugs bunny.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That's so good to hear. My boy Jasper is doing a smidge better, but he's still lying by the garden gate way too much, waiting for his love to come back out. I KNOW he knows she's not going to, but it's that miserable hopefulness on his face that kills me. He kept letting his coyote girlfriend come around and I had to pop off a couple of .22 rounds in her direction a couple mornings ago, then I stuffed some dead thorny plum branches in the hole she'd been using to get under the fence and I haven't seen her since, but Jasper has gone back down into his misery hole. It's pretty bad when you're so lonesome you even enjoy the companionship of your sworn enemy. I want to see him "smile" again. He has such a happy face, when he's happy. I hope he comes back to himself soon. Luna's progress is encouraging, and I'm hoping it means Jasper won't be far behind. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
sad-smiley-emoticon-260nw-225052135.jpg

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's so good to hear. My boy Jasper is doing a smidge better, but he's still lying by the garden gate way too much, waiting for his love to come back out. I KNOW he knows she's not going to, but it's that miserable hopefulness on his face that kills me. He kept letting his coyote girlfriend come around and I had to pop off a couple of .22 rounds in her direction a couple mornings ago, then I stuffed some dead thorny plum branches in the hole she'd been using to get under the fence and I haven't seen her since, but Jasper has gone back down into his misery hole. It's pretty bad when you're so lonesome you even enjoy the companionship of your sworn enemy. I want to see him "smile" again. He has such a happy face, when he's happy. I hope he comes back to himself soon. Luna's progress is encouraging, and I'm hoping it means Jasper won't be far behind. :)

Fingers crossed Jasper perks up soon!

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
empathize you(

But I think all dogs go to dog heaven where they spend their days beating the grass behind a stick.
89.jpg

8x10-rainbow-bridge-with-border-collie-V1.jpg
There's a pic of the Grim Reaper and a dog walking to heaven, I don't remember what it said exactly but it'd leave you in tears.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is the one that always makes me cry...

“A FRAGILE CIRCLE”

We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary
than our own, live within a fragile
circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan.

From “The Once Again Prince” by Irving Townsend

It's all those awful gaps... OMG, there have been so many.

VU Sponsors