Become a Patron!

Harsh hits

When starting from a room temp tank I get a really harsh hit for the first 5 to 10 hits until it warms up a bit, like really harsh and unpleasant. This is with 50/50 juice in a Big Baby Beast with the M2 0.25ohm coil on a Smok AL85 at 35W. This also happened with the 4X 0.15ohm coil at 45W.

I haven't been doing this very long but my guess is that these are dry hits but I can't figure out why this is happening with a full tank and a 50/50 juice.

I'm staring down into that rabbit hole of wrapping my own coils afraid to jump in because with my personality I'll wind up with a whole workbench in the basement next to a laboratory for making ejuices... trying to keep things at a sane level, for now...

Thanks for your help.

love2vape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you tried a different VG/PG ratio blend yet? Something closer to a 30% VG to 70% PG might be the better option for you.

The baby beast (really any subtank) can run thinner liquids but its not the greatest. You run several risks that happen frequently

1. Burned coils- The low resistance of the coils calls for more power, more power gets the coil hotter, juice burns off quicker resulting in some cases in the coil not priming quick enough to keep up with your vaping habit, dry coils burn which is no fun. (these coils are typically good for 60mls of juice or 1 1/2-2 weeks before needing to be replaced)

2. Flooded coils- The heat generated by the coil thins out our juice as we vape causing the coil to become flooded as we vape on it. Too much juice in a coil isn't fun, the excess runs down and out of the airflow at the bottom of the coil (and tank), simply the coil isn't able to burn off the excess juice being pulled into it. (Drain juice out of tank, remove coil, wash tank and base, dry with napkin, wrap another napkin around coil, blow out the coil into the napkin 4 or 5 times to push the excess juice from coil and into the napkin, reinstall, should be good for a bit but flooding will likely reoccur with 50/50 juices)

3. Spit back- Spit back is juice being pulled into your mouth, thinner ratio juices pop more on the sub ohm coils, we want to vape the juice not drink it, though a little spit back will always happen for any tank or device. (more likely to happen with flooded coils)

All coils break in at 3.7 volts, different resistance coils require different wattage settings to equate to the 3.7 volts. Always run them at that equivalent for the first hour to properly break in the coil, then slowly increase the wattage to desired level, increments of 5 work best

example

.5 requires about 23-25 watts to get 3.7 volts
puff on tank off and on for an hour
take watts up to 27-30 for 15 min or so to increase vapor production and get a solid hit
puff and desire more vapor/power? increase again by 5.

And remember to prime your coil well before vaping on it.

Now then below i believe is your issue-

Sitting tanks accumulate moisture from the air (rda's do as well) resulting in a loud crackling sound when initially vaping and typically passes after 5-10 hits. The hit is often not pleasant and can be harsh and stale. The higher the vg the less this occurs in my experience, or the easier it is. Shoot for running a 70/30 VG/PG ratio liquid for that tank (really all subtanks). Also the higher the vg the smoother the vape. Higher pg or thinner juices often have more of a "throat" hit to them. Increased airflow delivers more nicotine to the lungs with each inhale so on a subtank a 50/50 at a 12 feels more like an 18. Thicker juices don't have such a drastic increase in throat hit, or any really at a 3 or a 6, even a 12 is easier with thicker juices though I don't recommend that much nicotine.

Hope this all helps.

Wow, thanks for the great advice. Silly me was thinking that a thinner juice would wick better. I am running a higher VG juice now, I forget if it is 70/30 or max VG, I transferred it to a unicorn bottle for transport but I can check the bottle when I get home, but the problem has mostly gone away. Hopefully this will fix it.

Thanks for the great info on how to break in a coil, I knew it needed to be done at lower wattages but I never knew that formula.

I am using 6mg juice for now to keep away the cravings for real cigarettes but hope to drop to 3mg eventually.

Thanks again, you guys have been a great help.

When starting from a room temp tank I get a really harsh hit for the first 5 to 10 hits until it warms up a bit, like really harsh and unpleasant.

Same has been happening to me. Annoying because I cannot figure it out. I use 0.25 ohms with 90 VG juice. New coil carefully primed and left to stand. I alternate between two juices both with 90 VG. I have a hunch one is causing this more than the other. Is that even a possibility?

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A general rule of thumb for me is 70VG and up for sub-ohm vaping..

Same has been happening to me. Annoying because I cannot figure it out. I use 0.25 ohms with 90 VG juice. New coil carefully primed and left to stand. I alternate between two juices both with 90 VG. I have a hunch one is causing this more than the other. Is that even a possibility?

Yeah, I find certain juices are more prone to it than others. I think sweeter juices are better but they still take a couple of hits to get going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors