Become a Patron!

Has Vaping helped you lose weight?

msjs91011

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
while i smoked, maintained 245. Started vaping and shot up to 271. in 2012 when i still smoked, I used to take 2000mcg(?) chromium picolinate when i worked from home in my office and i lost about 50lb, going from 265 to 215ish, but then I gained some back so I figured the chromium wasnt helping anymore so I stopped it and apparently gained some more weight. When I started driving a truck I was around 250, and now, after reaching my lifetime high of 271, I've brought it back down slightly somehow. I started taking the chromium again but it's not helping nearly as well as it did last time and I am a bit more active this time :/ The next thing I think I am going to cut out of my life is aspartame. I drink a TON of diet pepsi, mostly fountain. I do not drink 'sugar pop' because I hate how nasty it makes my mouth within just an hour of drinking it. I am not diabetic but I do my best to stay away from a lot of sugar that I'd otherwise consume. I do have a crappy sweet tooth, it always attacks me lol. Just not sure what else to do - I know myself and my personality and i know I am not going to just exercise. I'd rather strap a bike to the back of my truck and try to ride daily before I do just exercises. It's not me.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually have a hard time keeping weight on. I used to have thyroid problems when I was younger and will again when I get older. I could maintain a 4000 calorie, high-fat diet and maybe I'd gain 5 pounds after 6 months. Any less than 3k a day and I would actually lose weight. I'd drop 5lbs within a week or two.

When I smoked, I weighed 125lbs at the most. I was doing a lot of weight training and taking in my daily max on various forms of protein. At 5' 11" that's about as skinny as a person can be without having more serious health problems. The thing is, I'm all lean body mass, so I was never frail, just very thin. I was a very physically active and athletic kid.

Fast forward to a few years later. I vape 3mg nic as often as I vape zero and I can hit 150lbs on some days. I'm still 5' 11". My body fat percentage has gone up slightly and my calorie intake is about half of what it was then. Less of it is in the form of saturated fats, too. A lot of my job is physical and I do 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 times a week, generally in the form of one shorter run of heavy cardio and then 4 hours total of moderate cardio, which is a lot less than I did when I was 21. I had a real passion for cycling back then and would often ride for hours at a time before coming home and collapsing on my bed.

Whether my gains are a product of simply growing into myself, a decline in overall physical activity, or not consuming as much nicotine is anybody's guess. A lot of changes have happened in my body. It's weird. I don't even like candy anymore. Can't stand sweets in general. My doctor doesn't know what's up either, but says to keep doing what I'm doing. When I weighed 125, I was still just 20 years old. As of now, I'm 25 and average around 140-150.

Last edited:

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think I lost 10lbs the first month or second month. Probably 15lbs before 5 months at which time I was diagnosed with IBD (actually Crohn's first, then Ulcerative Colitis, then I got them to admit it was Indeterminate Colitis and they don't know which one it is which is why I say IBD). After being treated other than the cigarettes for the first time in my life I didn't have to try to put on weight after I got the lost 15lbs back.
It kind of sucks. I'm used to being able to eat a whole cheesecake (actually having to eat it to keep weight on).

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I actually have a hard time keeping weight on. I used to have thyroid problems when I was younger and will again when I get older. I could maintain a 4000 calorie, high-fat diet and maybe I'd gain 5 pounds after 6 months. Any less than 3k a day and I would actually lose weight. I'd drop 5lbs within a week or two.

When I smoked, I weighed 125lbs at the most. I was doing a lot of weight training and taking in my daily max on various forms of protein. At 5' 11" that's about as skinny as a person can be without having more serious health problems. The thing is, I'm all lean body mass, so I was never frail, just very thin. I was a very physically active and athletic kid.

Fast forward to a few years later. I vape 3mg nic as often as I vape zero and I can hit 150lbs on some days. I'm still 5' 11". My body fat percentage has gone up slightly and my calorie intake is about half of what it was then. Less of it is in the form of saturated fats, too. A lot of my job is physical and I do 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 times a week, generally in the form of one shorter run of heavy cardio and then 4 hours total of moderate cardio, which is a lot less than I did when I was 21. I had a real passion for cycling back then and would often ride for hours at a time before coming home and collapsing on my bed.

Whether my gains are a product of simply growing into myself, a decline in overall physical activity, or not consuming as much nicotine is anybody's guess. A lot of changes have happened in my body. It's weird. I don't even like candy anymore. Can't stand sweets in general. My doctor doesn't know what's up either, but says to keep doing what I'm doing. When I weighed 125, I was still just 20 years old. As of now, I'm 25 and average around 140-150.

Sorry to hear about the thyroid problems. But based on what you tell me, you are extremely motivated to be active.... lotta calorie expenditure going on there... so some of it could be the (i assume) hyperthyroidism, but it could also be genetics and the energetic life you lead.

I'm just built the other way around. I'm 5'6" and would have to starve myself to get below 190 (probably around 205 right now). I was 162 in 2008, which is still considered "overweight" and I was outright manorexic... people would tell me that I lost too much weight. I was just obsessed with a number, and now I no longer am.

So you can't really go by the textbooks and that BMI crap. every person's body and DNA are different.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to hear about the thyroid problems. But based on what you tell me, you are extremely motivated to be active.... lotta calorie expenditure going on there... so some of it could be the (i assume) hyperthyroidism, but it could also be genetics and the energetic life you lead.
Thank you for your condolences, though tbh, it's not a major affliction in my mind. The challenges I face when it comes to maintaining decent physical health are just different from those of most. I have to be mindful of how much physical activity I do versus how much I consume in a different way. I don't exercise to balance out how much I eat. I have to eat to balance out how much strain I put on my body in order to continue appreciating the active lifestyle that I live today. It just means that I can't take little things for granted. I have to take in as many "good" calories as I can and listen to my body a little more closely is all. My metabolic needs can fluctuate quite a lot from day to day.

I'm just built the other way around. I'm 5'6" and would have to starve myself to get below 190 (probably around 205 right now). I was 162 in 2008, which is still considered "overweight" and I was outright manorexic... people would tell me that I lost too much weight. I was just obsessed with a number, and now I no longer am.

So you can't really go by the textbooks and that BMI crap. every person's body and DNA are different.
I agree, everyone is built differently and thus has different needs. That's what makes it difficult to say what works in general. You have to listen to what your body is telling you. I don't obsess over my weight myself - I just take it as my body trying to tell me something one way or another. I don't know what my ideal weight is, but I can tell when I'm feeling more energetic, sleeping better, thinking more clearly and so on because of certain habits, and I can correlate those observations with changes in weight, physique and complexion. That's the difference between looking healthy and being healthy. I'd rather just be actually healthy than be the model of some vague average that's directly applicable to nobody in particular. Sometimes people say I'm too skinny, but I bet I could outperform them in a number of physical tasks.

I think of it like this. Would you like to lose/gain weight, or do you simply want to feel healthy? Which is more important to you?

Last edited:

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for your condolences, though tbh, it's not a major affliction in my mind. The challenges I face when it comes to maintaining decent physical health are just different from those of most. I have to be mindful of how much physical activity I do versus how much I consume in a different way. I don't exercise to balance out how much I eat. I have to eat to balance out how much strain I put on my body in order to continue appreciating the active lifestyle that I live today. It just means that I can't take little things for granted. I have to take in as many "good" calories as I can and listen to my body a little more closely is all. My metabolic needs can fluctuate quite a lot from day to day.

I agree, everyone is built differently and thus has different needs. That's what makes it difficult to say what works in general. You have to listen to what your body is telling you. I don't obsess over my weight myself - I just take it as my body trying to tell me something one way or another. I don't know what my ideal weight is, but I can tell when I'm feeling more energetic, sleeping better, thinking more clearly and so on because of certain habits, and I can correlate those observations with changes in weight, physique and complexion. That's the difference between looking healthy and being healthy. I'd rather just be actually healthy than be the model of some vague average that's directly applicable to nobody in particular. Sometimes people say I'm too skinny, but I bet I could outperform them in a number of physical tasks.

I think of it like this. Would you like to lose/gain weight, or do you simply want to feel healthy? Which is more important to you?
Very well put sir. You gotta deal with what the man upstairs gave ya... not to get preachy.

Interesting note on the whole BMI thing... the concept of kg/m^(2) (or lbs/inch^(2) x 703) was first developed by a Dutch fellow who was merely interested in demographics... he never tried to classify people as "overweight," "obese," "underweight," etc. He was just interested in the statistics and relationships between height and weight of the general population around him.

It's idiots like us Americans that arbitrarily classified "normal" as a BMI of 18.5-25 (or 20-25 depending on who you talk to, see what I mean?). I'm essentially forced to use it as part of my job, but I prefer to see each individual as what they are... a person, not a category.

All the best

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey,

Tell me something for rapid weight loss.

IMO if you need rapid weight loss talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks. I've known people who have done that using the Atkins diet and others successfully, but most of them put the weight back on after a while and sometimes more and that's not a good thing.

I posted in this thread last April about my weight loss at the time. I opted to change what and when I eat, cut back on high calorie and processed foods, increased my physical activity and after 16 months I've lost 65 pounds. I'm 6' 4" and at 200 pounds now. The nice thing is the weight is staying off easily and I don't feel in any way deprived by being on a 'diet' :)

Best of luck with it eloiselopez!

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

:)

I've dropped about 10 pounds this year. The other day my wife asked me how much more weight I wanted to lose ... she thinks I'm getting 'skinny'. Told her I wasn't trying to lose weight now, it's just happening. My arthritis is happy about it though and I like that ;)

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lost 12lbs so far, My goal set is a bit high, but this time around I plan on doing it right and maintaining it, as we get older it proves harder to do, Exercise , correct diet and megga willpower

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah. When I smoked I had low-level carbon monoxide poisoning all the time, so I was lethargic. Now I have energy, and can take deeper breaths which means I enjoy moving about more. Weight isnt my issue so much as overall health.

I also linked smoking with drinking beer and so without the beer, DEFINITELY lol

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
has vaping helped you lose wieght??????have you seen how many fat guys are vape reviewers?

VU Sponsors