Become a Patron!

Heat steeping safe for plastic bottles?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw a youtube video about how to DIY, and they put a glass bottle of juice inside a measuring cup of water on top of one of those coffee cup heaters. I just happen to have one of those heaters that I got for 25 cents at a garage sale a while back.

I only have plastic bottles (I'm a miser, so instead of buying some bottles I just saved the ones from when I used to buy premade liquid). Some of the bottles I have are the squishy ones from Mt. Baker, and the others are the harder, more transparent ones from other vendors.

Would I risk melting the plastic bottles, or releasing their chemicals into the eliquid if I placed them inside a glass cup full of water and placed that on a heating element? Also, the video said that the plastic bottles are not ideal because they eat up the flavorings and nicotine; is that true? Thanks.

-New to DIY... My supplies should arrive any day now.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not sure how hot a coffee cup warmer gets. But dropping a plastic bottle in hot/warm water isn't going to do much, if any damage. Just don't get it too hot. Most recommendations I've read, state 140 degrees F.

Most of the hazards you read about plastic bottles are on the clear bottles. I'm not sure if that's because they only use clear, or they have found clear to be the most hazardous. Heated or not, these bottles released a chemical that was much like a female hormone.

As far as eating up flavorings and nicotine. How long do you intend to let it sit in said bottle? Since you're mixing for personal use. Simply mix a enough to hold you for a week or two. Problem solved.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not sure how hot a coffee cup warmer gets. But dropping a plastic bottle in hot/warm water isn't going to do much, if any damage. Just don't get it too hot. Most recommendations I've read, state 140 degrees F.

Most of the hazards you read about plastic bottles are on the clear bottles. I'm not sure if that's because they only use clear, or they have found clear to be the most hazardous. Heated or not, these bottles released a chemical that was much like a female hormone.

As far as eating up flavorings and nicotine. How long do you intend to let it sit in said bottle? Since you're mixing for personal use. Simply mix a enough to hold you for a week or two. Problem solved.

I believe I measured the temp of the heater a long time ago, and the ceramic element got to almost 300 ferenheight. And that chemical you refer to is likely BPA.
Yes, this is for personal use. But I intend to reuse the same bottles forever, unless somebody here says otherwise.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you're really concerned about it. Bite the bullet, and buy some bottles. I just recently bought 100 - 30ml Unicorn bottles for $35. I intend to use them multiple times all the same.

I do limit them to juices of the same flavoring, when reusing. But other than that, 100 bottles will easily last me 2 years.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Side note. You can get glass bottles for about 65 cents each, with a dropper. About 50 cents with standard cap.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Noooooo, no plastic when heat steeping! You run the risk of components of the plastic leaching into your juice. Always use glass with heat, then if you want you can transfer it into plastic after cooling.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i use to use a coffee cup warmer when i thought steeping was required ,some plastic bottles can survive being put straight on the warmer,,others melt

DO NOT put glass bottles on the warmer, they will expand and shatter !! they are not hear resistant , just trust me on that one

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any time I've used my mug warmer, I put a coffee cup of hot water on it and the bottle in the water. It's not as warm as a crock pot, but just one or two bottles doesn't seem worth the hassle of dragging out the crockpot.

Hi_Plains_Drifter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All plastics leech something when heated , glass as well just way slower .

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

This is what the video shows in case you were wondering. Of course I wouldn't put a bare plastic bottle on the heater. But I'm wondering if it would be safe inside a glass cup of water like this. (At the 9 min mark)

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
To each his or her own, but, personally, I would never consider heating e-juice in a plastic bottle. Glass: Yes. Plastic: Not on your life.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Heat the VG, pour in the flavors.

As for applying any type of heat to plastic. 140 degrees is not much hotter than many home taps. No plastic bottle is going to melt at 140 degrees. Especially one utilized in distributing food grade products.

Leaching chemicals? If you've just recently became concerned about this when you discovered DIY. It's way to late in the game to make a full recovery.

My guess is that 99.9% of you have been using fluids in plastic bottles for years, that have been heated multiple times BEFORE you've ever taken a drink.

Just an FYI. Your drinks are stored at whatever room temp is. Which can get as high as 180 degrees in an enclosed trailer/container.

You're dead already.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To reiterate a fact: When heated, plastics leech into the liquids contained inside them. But you vape whatever you want....

In every product, every day. Without fail

Mayo, ketchup, mustard, jams, water, soft drinks, sandwich meat, vegetables.

Some people even introduce their children to these chemicals immediately after birth. By warming their bottle of milk. :rolleyes: Just sayin

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I heat-steep all the time using LDPE - but I use warm tap water, not a crock pot or even a coffee warmer. If there was a heating element involved or a chance the water passes the mid-100s, I'd be working strictly with glass...

Das Bund

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I warm my plastic and glass bottles with the tops off in a Pyrex container filled with 86 degree hot/warm water with a splash of cold water thrown in. I try to stay on the warm side as to not heat the bottles up too much or "cook" my eJuice/nicotine. I have warmed them up in hotter water about 96 degrees and I found that once the bottles and eJuice cooled down it had lost a lot of its flavor and throat hit.

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Warming I can see, but I tried this with a couple 3ml tester bottles, the little ones that are like capellas bottles but smaller, after I did this they had a weird chemical smell to them...

Without being a chemist I don't know why, something broke down though and I didn't like it. Come to think about it I have no idea why I did it anyway as I have hundreds of glass bottles.

What temp does ejuice react with the plastic? Don't know, what temp does daily food and drinks react? Don't know, what types of plastics are we working with? Don't know, I'm sure Google might tell me but will it tell me what ejuice does when heated at certain temps probably not. Buttfuckit go for it if you feel it's safe by all means heat it in that shit and vape it.

After I leave a water in my car in my trunk for weeks in the summer and then feel parched and take a swig it tastes like total shit.....do I know why nope but I don't like it.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I sometimes wish there was a articulate answer that has scientific data that explains the answer "I do this" answers are just disturbing

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone can do as they wish, but I won't heat juice in plastic for myself or anyone else. I mix for a few other people, not just myself, and I figure if I go to the lengths of making sure my supplies are clean and my mixing area is clean, why run the risk of contaminating it all by heating in plastic? It's not a problem to heat in glass, but truthfully I don't even do that. IME, nothing steeps juice as well as time and patience.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You never use a plastic bottle of any kind they all will leach when heat Is applied.

Last edited:

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not by people who have a brain
I do this :D

But I will also warm my VG Flavor mixes in a plastic container. Those 32oz glass bottles work great for Nic storage. And they're cheap too.

image.jpgimage.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do this :D

But I will also warm my VG Flavor mixes in a plastic container. Those 32oz glass bottles work great for Nic storage. And they're cheap too.

View attachment 33089View attachment 33090
Yep it all makes sense you have BPA's that have eaten your brain like this
brainmasala.jpg

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No, I never buy Chinese bottles, syringes or lab ware because it can contain led in the glass. Now you might have a problem leaching w them but with American made you won't find this.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, I never buy Chinese bottles, syringes or lab ware because it can contain led in the glass. Now you might have a problem leaching w them but with American made you won't find this.

ya got some proof to back that up or just typical hate and distrust of any non-US country ??

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ya got some proof to back that up or just typical hate and distrust of any non-US country ??
I hope it ain't so, because the majority of US vendors get their goods dirt cheap from China and Hong Kong and resell them here at ridiculous markups.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hope it ain't so, because the majority of US vendors get their goods dirt cheap from China and Hong Kong and resell them here at ridiculous markups.

vast majority of products you buy in a store are from China ,or other 3rd world country

you can't win the war,but you can pick your battles

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
vast majority of products you buy in a store are from China ,or other 3rd world country

In fact almost all products are made in China or some damned HoChi Min country but do not blame them .. Blame our Government for allowing the worlds manufacturing plants to placed in one place basically in the world its a catastrophe awaiting to happen

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Exactly, that's why I get the majority of my bottles and pipettes from Chinese eBay vendors. I wait till my inventory of something is about half down and order more, cuz I know I'm gonna have to wait and this way I never run out.
You see this little funnel? Ideal for filling juice bottles when you're as clumsy as I am.....price those from a US vendor, go ahead. Ridiculous for a little hunk of plastic. I get them in rolls of ten from a Chinese vendor for $1.10, free shipping.

xDCwasP.jpg

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I can't prove it. But millions more can. Especially the ladies.

As we all know they like drinking from fine Italian Crystal. :cool:

Edit, I had a woman went on and on for almost an hour about how special Italian glass was, and how fortunate they were to be one of the very limited retailers of that company.

Until I said one word, Swarovski. And our conversation was over. You can't bullshit a bullshitter.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, pretty limited stuff, they have a retail outlet here in Tanger Outlet Mall.....lol!

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, pretty limited stuff, they have a retail outlet here in Tanger Outlet Mall.....lol!

I absolutely love Swavorski. We have a trip planned to Austria next summer. They are one of our stops. They have an fantastic public display of their works.

In truth, I like their optics in telescopes and rifle scopes. Amazingly clear.

I'm going to be broke as a convict when we return lol Shiny things ;)

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
ya got some proof to back that up or just typical hate and distrust of any non-US country ??[/Q A few years back china was selling microwaveable glass such as glass ware that had high lead content in them. And unless you have been living in a cave for years you should know that they have had many recalls on toys that had toxic paint and plastics. Speaking of this when I was a kid probably around 8 my mom bought me some clear silly putty kind of stuff with specks in it, Within a few hours my hands became completely infected we actually had to poke my finger with a pin to release the puss. Needless to say it was off the shelves by the next day.
And it did come from china.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A few years back china was selling microwaveable glass such as glass ware that had high lead content in them. And unless you have been living in a cave for years you should know that they have had many recalls on toys that had toxic paint and plastics. Speaking of this when I was a kid probably around 8 my mom bought me some clear silly putty kind of stuff with specks in it, Within a few hours my hands became completely infected we actually had to poke my finger with a pin to release the puss. Needless to say it was off the shelves by the next day. And it did come from china.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A few years back china was selling microwaveable glass such as glass ware that had high lead content in them. And unless you have been living in a cave for years you should know that they have had many recalls on toys that had toxic paint and plastics. Speaking of this when I was a kid probably around 8 my mom bought me some clear silly putty kind of stuff with specks in it, Within a few hours my hands became completely infected we actually had to poke my finger with a pin to release the puss. Needless to say it was off the shelves by the next day. And it did come from china.

Well thats just fine and all but what were the specks ?? unless you've been living in a cave or under a rock for yeas you should know china is not the only country that has had to do recalls

byi,lead is still in use in .....hold onto to your shorts ,,,, the USA yea thats right it is still used a lot even in paint just not at the levels it use to be used at

USA is NOT a lead free country as the reports would have you believe

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well thats just fine and all but what were the specks ?? unless you've been living in a cave or under a rock for yeas you should know china is not the only country that has had to do recalls

byi,lead is still in use in .....hold onto to your shorts ,,,, the USA yea thats right it is still used a lot even in paint just not at the levels it use to be used at

USA is NOT a lead free country as the reports would have you believe
The specks were like a glitter

VU Sponsors