Become a Patron!

Hellvape Vertex MTL RTA - Review

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Vertex MTL RTA from Hellvape. The Hellvape Vertex MTL RTA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

https://www.sourcemore.com/hellvape-vertex-mtl-rta.html

Introduction

Best known for their atomizers but not so much a brand for animal lovers as they love their Dead Rabbit's Hellvape are definitely one of the highest rated atomizer manufacturer that are based in China. Not so much known for MTL products they did release the MD MTL RTA which was very highly rated even though it didn't cater for the more tighter draws and here we see that put right with the Vertex MTL RTA.

The Vertex has adjustable airflow via both an AFC ring giving the choice of 5 different sized airflow holes or a small slot and a turntable underneath where the coil will be positioned with 3 different settings. The 2ml capacity 22mm RTA comes with a 3.5ml capacity extra glass, extended chamber/chimney section and has a top-fill design. The easy build 2 post single coil deck will suit both experienced builders and newbies alike with no Rabbits in sight! Coming in four colour options let's check out the latest Hellvape RTA!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Hellvape Vertex RTA 2ml
1 x 3.5ml Glass Tube
1 x Extended Chamber
1 x Chamber/Fill plate tightening tool
5 x 0.6Ω A1 Pre-built Coil
5 x 1.0Ω A1 Pre-built Coil
1 x Organic cotton pad
1 x Accessories Bag
1 x User Manual

Aesthetics

The Vertex MTL RTA comes in cardboard box packaging with an outer cardboard sleeve, we have a drawing of the RTA on the front and both features and contents listed on the reverse. I received the Black Gold version which i chose, the options are Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Gunmetal or Black Gold.

Up top we have a two piece drip tip with Delrin mouthpiece which screws into a 510 fitting Stainless Steel base section. The top-cap is quite substantial with outer threading and internal seal. Through the glass we can see "VERTEX" engraved on the chamber. The central section of the AFC ring protrudes slightly and has knurling for grip, we have a slot for adjusting over different sized holes or matching slot.

Moving to the base we have printed branding, safety marks and a protruding Gold plated 510. It's quite a plain yet nice looking little RTA and absolutely no complaints about build quality!

Vertex Specs and Features:

Material: Stainless Steel
Size: 22mm(D) x 53mm(H) (Height 58mm with extended chamber)
Capacity: 2ml/3.5ml (longer tube with extended chamber)
Recommend Wattage: 14-18W (0.6ohm); 8-12W (1.0ohm)
22mm diameter with side-by-side post
Dual posts for easy single coil building
Bottom AFC with 5 air holes and small slot for precise control
Turntable bottom airflow with 3 settings
Easy top juice refill system
Extended chamber included for large 3.5ml tube capacity
Thread: 510
Colours: Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Gunmetal, Black Gold

What You Receive?

The answer is well above and beyond the average that is normally included with an RTA, very impressed! As well as the usual paperwork, Blue screwdriver, plenty of spare O-rings and 2 sets of spare slotted post screws you also receive a larger 3.5ml spare glass section. To allow the larger glass to fit you receive an extended chamber, at least that's what it is being called but it is the chimney that's actually extended.

You also include a tool for tightening and loosening the chamber section to the fill plate and 2 different types of coils as well as a pad of organic cotton. Both types of coils are Kanthal round wire and you get 5 of each so 10 in total. You get 5 2.5ID 26Ga 0.6ohm coils and 5 2.5ID 28Ga 1.0ohm coils.

It's Various Parts!

Up top we have a 2 piece drip tip with top Delrin mouthpiece which screws on to the lower Stainless Steel base section with a 510 fitting so you can use your own if you prefer, i can only think they were planning to include a longer top section as well so they could be swapped out! I prefer top-caps with a bayonet fitting which hasn't been done due to the central setscrew that keeps the chamber/chimney secured tight to the fill plate. But this is only a couple of turns and it's off and it also has good threading so not worthy of a con. Again we have a flat fill-plate which i thought might be a con but the fill ports are generous and i have had absolutely no issues with filling quickly, the seal on the underside of the top-cap seals against the plate perfectly.

To remove the glass simply put your thumb in the chamber and finger on the outside of the glass and pinch! As mentioned we have a setscrew central on the fill plate which needs unscrewing and removing to allow the chamber/chimney section to be unscrewed. When putting the tank back together you can fit the extended chamber section to allow the included 3.5ml capacity glass tube to be fitted!

The base section includes a two post single deck which has a turntable airflow insert allowing the choice of three different settings, we also have an AFC ring for precise airflow adjustments. Finally we have a Gold plated 510 pin which protrudes nicely!

Swapping The Chamber/Chimney Sections!

The Vertex comes with a larger 3.5ml capacity glass included but of course for a larger straight glass to fit it needs the internals also extending which is done by also including a second chamber with an extended chimney.

Normally with most RTA's the chamber, chimney and fill plate are all one section so here we have a setscrew central on top of the fill plate that has reversed threading which needs tightening to secure the chamber/chimney section or removing which will then allow the chamber/chimney section to be unscrewed, It needs to be tightened tight so a tool is included! I suppose as i am struggling for any cons then swapping the chamber/chimney sections could be done by a quicker method but at least this way it stays in place very securely and it's not as if it needs constantly swapping out!

The Airflow

The Vertex has an adjustable AFC ring with a single small slot and on the base we have a matching slot which is 5.8mm x 1.7mm. Also on the base we have different sized holes that the slot on the control ring can be lined up with which are 1.6mm, 1.4mm, 1.2mm, 1.0mm and 0.8mm is size! The air goes through the set airflow of the AFC and travels underneath the deck and then upwards and out through the airflow outlet positioned underneath your coil.

This is where things gets interesting because that airflow outlet has a turntable insert which is kept secured via an O-ring. The insert has three settings which are an 1mm x 3.2mm slot, 3 x 0.8mm holes or a single 0.8mm hole. You can just pull the insert out and then press it into position with the correct setting lined up or there are 3 notches which allows the turntable to be turned using your fingernail, either way once choosing your setting just press down on the insert to make sure it's firmly in place so you don't get any air leakage!

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Deck And Build!

The deck has side by side posts with decent sized terminals and slot screws that fasten down from above. I have done three builds in the Vertex trying both types of supplied coils and the pictured build which is using a Bearded Viking Customs Prototype Hybrid MTAlien which is an Ni80/SS 2.5ID 0.6ohm coil which i have used before and has become my favourite MTL coil being the Ni80 wire i prefer for flavour while also including SS wire in it's make up allowing me to use Replay which is my favourite feature!

https://beardedvikingcustoms.com/

The reason i have done three builds is because i wanted to try all three airflow settings on the turntable as although you could alter on the fly it would be fiddly especially making sure the insert is securely in place after an alteration!

Just feed your leads through the open terminals and while holding your coil in position with a coiling rod fasten down the screws. Then if needed tweak the position of your coil using the coiling rod or fit for purpose tool before snipping your access leads!

Wicking is straightforward, just leave your cotton ends long enough to fill the wicking channels without over packing and after a fluff up tease into place! Done three builds as mentioned and had zero wicking issues so no great secret, very simple and forgiving! Once wicked double check the leads are still tight, prime the build and give it a few pulses to admire your work!

Then screw the tank together and fill!

How It Vapes And Thoughts!

This really is an outstanding MTL RTA, i usually have a few cons even for the products i really like but really any negatives are so petty they really are not worthy of a con such as swapping chamber/chimney sections to increase the glass size could be quicker but it's not as if anyone would be constantly swapping over so no real issue!

Apart from the first day using the Hybrid coil i am using now which gave a fireside crackle which is a characteristic of all Bearded Viking Customs coils this RTA is silent, you could vape it next to a birds ear and it wouldn't take flight! I used a supplied 0.6ohm round wire coil with the slot turntable setting which gives various looser MTL draws and when using the slot on the AFC setting it gives a very decent RDL draw and in my opinion a 0.4ohm - 0.5ohm coil would work a treat with this more open setting!

I also used an included 1.0ohm coil with the single 0.8mm setting which allowed various draws from a medium MTL right down to as tight as anyone would need, the Vertex really does cover the full MTL spectrum! I now have the Hybrid 0.6ohm coil installed and the turntable set with the three 0.8mm outlets. I have the AFC setting on the 1.2ohm hole which is giving a smooth medium MTL draw but i can also go 1.0 or 0.8 for tighter draws and for a looser draw 1.4 or 1.6, of course we also have the slot but i only used this in conjunction with the slot turntable setting for a RDL draw!

Build quality is spot on and although it doesn't have a bayonet fitting it's only a couple of turns to release the top cap for a quick fill! The build and wicking is that easy this would even be suitable for someone new to building and because i usually use long MTL drip tips as i find a jet of vaper works best for flavour with MTL the extended chimney and narrow bore through the top cap means using the extended chamber/chimney section (how i have it set-up) loses no flavour that i have experienced allowing for a 3.5ml capacity.

One issue with a lot of bottom airflow tanks even MTL RTA's is after filling you can get slight flooding and even leakage out the airflow slots but as mentioned i have had three builds in this and after filling the vape is the same from the first draw and no leakage experienced whatsoever!

So is this the best MTL RTA i have used? Well it gives as good flavour as anything i have used with tobacco, fruits and desserts all shining, it's as smooth as any RTA i have used, it's as quiet as any RTA i have used and it gives the full MTL draw spectrum and as a bonus a very decent RDL vape.

It's a cracking MTL RTA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good build quality
Smooth threading
4 Colour options
Quick Top fill
Standard 510 drip tip fitting (can use your own)
Extended Chamber/Chimney included
Included 3.5ml Capacity glass
Fill plate/Chamber tightening tool included
10 Coils Included (2 different ohms)
Turntable airflow setting insert
Adjustable Airflow, Slot, five different sized holes
Very decent RDL possible
Full MTL draw spectrum
Fantastic flavour
Smooth Draw
Silent
No flooding or leakage whatsoever after filling
Very user friendly build deck
Wicking forgiving
Suitable for first time builder

Cons

Not really

I would once again like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the Hellvape Vertex MTL RTA for the purpose of this review, thanks for reading and stay safe!

https://www.sourcemore.com/hellvape-vertex-mtl-rta.html

$20.49 - Hellvape Vertex MTL RTA
Code: VERT

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sourcemore or benefit in any way from the use of the above code but was asked if i would include it in my content!

VU Sponsors