Become a Patron!

Help a noobie with an RDA

Hello there! Im a complete noob and I got some trouble with vaping. I got Yosta Livepor 160w with 2x sony vtc6 batteries and a single coil hadaly rda. I got some koh gen do cotton and some kanthal (0.3mm, 0.4mm, 0.5mm, ribbon 0.8x0.3 and staggered fused clapton coils that are premade) I put one clapton thats @ 0.2ohms and its heating waay too slow also some spitback and i dunno at how much wattage should i run it...I want to build a new coil So if you guys can give me some advices on how to get better performance out of my mod that would be awesome

Attachments

• E02EFC25-A15B-431E-AC20-B5C7686E67B0.jpeg
    E02EFC25-A15B-431E-AC20-B5C7686E67B0.jpeg
    765.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 4150A252-154E-44DB-A788-634B0E82D8FE.jpeg
    4150A252-154E-44DB-A788-634B0E82D8FE.jpeg
    934.8 KB · Views: 19

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have you tried going above 50W? That coil looks pretty chunky what size core wire is it? I reckon 70w will be needed for that just looking at the picture anyway

to be honest in the hadaly just a fused Clapton works really well 2x 26g round wire cores /38g round wire wrap (all 316L) ....5 wraps, 3mm ID will come out about 0.2ohms ....can vape this a lot lower wattage as well

You can do same with a staggered fused Clapton as well but not much difference between the two for the extra effort building it IMO

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Have you tried going above 50W? That coil looks pretty chunky what size core wire is it? I reckon 70w will be needed for that just looking at the picture anyway

to be honest in the hadaly just a fused Clapton works really well 2x 26g round wire cores /38g round wire wrap (all 316L) ....5 wraps, 3mm ID will come out about 0.2ohms ....can vape this a lot lower wattage as well

You can do same with a staggered fused Clapton as well but not much difference between the two for the extra effort building it IMO
You sure about that KingPin? Stainless Steel takes more power to heat, since it is more conductive than Kanthal or Nichrome resistance coils.
But yeah, I agree that is a pretty big coil so probably more wattage is needed to heat it.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
You sure about that KingPin? Stainless Steel takes more power to heat, since it is more conductive than Kanthal or Nichrome resistance coils.
But yeah, I agree that is a pretty big coil so probably more wattage is needed to heat it.

Yep I’m sure with regards to the coil set up I posted vape it a lot, doesnt need a great deal of wattage single coil to get a nice warm vape from it

In terms of the other one OP posted it wasn’t stated what material it was but looks chunky from the pics and kanthal to me

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I'll have to back a mate up. Finding out stainless does quiet well, if you take a little time & watch what you're doing. Not that Ash needs the help. Have read and seen most of what he suggests is pretty solid.

I'm using a fused clapton of all 28 awg plain old stainless (oops) 316. dual coil netting me 0.20 ohms, presently. Kind of surprised it ramps quick, heats well yet does not get or stay too hot. Seems to not disturb a single well chose 18650 cell either. Yes, it's draining the power out as any coil/s do but not heating the battery or causing "oh my gawd" incidents so far.

Kanthal for single coils, I like 28 awg 5 wraps around a 3 mm inner diameter. Kind of gotten to a point using that, it comes out at around 0.30 ohms near every time. if it's off it's not enough so as to resist a bit of gentle tweaking to get it right in line at 0.30 again. that's just dumb old plain single strand of Kanthal. Nothing fancy to it.

Doing about the same as the Kanthal with Nichrome 80. *chuckles* Starting to feel a bit surprised at my building improving. Still have a long journey though.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I should clarify when I said a lot I didnt mean something like 16w I meant 35-44w range for the 316L coil ;) but I do believe the wattage requirement would be less than the coil the OP’s running at the moment

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I should clarify when I said a lot I didnt mean something like 16w I meant 35-44w range for the 316L coil ;) but I do believe the wattage requirement would be less than the coil the OP’s running at the moment

I'd guess you are right... His coil looks pretty massive. Guessing your coil is a fair bit lighter as well.
I was thinking, given the same ga wire it takes a lot more wraps of SS to hit target resistance than Kanthal or Nichrome. Using higher ga SS would compensate for that though.

VU Sponsors