Become a Patron!

Help appreciated with subbing TFA VBIC with "cleaner" flavors

mrquackers00

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Foreword: I try not to be spoon-fed and do my own research but I am getting a bit overwhelmed in my info-quest; so all apologies if I overlooked a resource (here or easily searched on the web). I swear I tried every keyword-combo I could think of along with re-reading several posts that are relevant (primary research resources linked near bottom of post).

Context: To start out, I made a recipe that was posted on VU (Kiwi Double Berry by KGuardian). I ended up trying the variant (s)he posted with TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and instantly knew (after a 4-5 day steep) this was a keeper for me.

Here's where my confusion starts. I have a local-vape-friend and we share recipes from time to time. He is very conscious of his ejuice contents though (diacetyl, acetoin, ap, etc). I on the other hand am a little more forgiving (by no means do I "not-care" but I am willing to use small amounts in juices that I vape once-in-a-blue-moon). When we trade recipes I do my best to translate recipes w/ questionable components into "cleaner" versions for his peace of mind.

Main Questions: I remember from HiC's "My Notes On" (under Vienna Cream section) that using FA Vanilla Classic and FA Vienna Cream was a good starting point for an ice-cream base. I may start working with this as a substitute but haven't tried it standalone compared to VBIC single-mixed. My goal is to get as close as possible to replicating VBIC.

So in trying to research the components used: I referenced TFAs spec list for VBIC and noticed that the description for the Acetyl Propionyl component states: "toasted, buttery and caramellic with marshmallow and molasses nuances". Will the Vienna Cream profile contribute similar nuances that VBIC has (ie: that combination of buttery, carmalized sweetness)? Maybe a balanced combo of Vienna, Catalan, and Fresh Cream at very low % each can work well with the Vanilla Classic? (Note: This is where I realized that I'm probably over-thinking it and should reach out to more experienced mixers before making multiple samples and wasting resources before next flavor order comes in).

I have tried the Vienna Cream/Vanilla Classic combo before but only when mixed with other flavors such as Tiramisu and fruits. I have every intention of making sample batches and going through the trial-and-error phases of pinning it down. If anyone has any suggestions that might help narrow the scope of my guess-work before diving in, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is kind of a tall order, but to quote the OSCP motto: "When things get tough...try harder!" Let me extend an early thank you to anyone that can assist.

Resources used:
Original recipe for Kiwi Double Berry by KGuardian
TFA Spec Lists
FA test by Enthalpy Analytical, Inc
HiC's "My Notes On" @ MamaJ's

Additional Notes:
  • I just thought that I would mention something in case anyone had any concerns about my recipe swaps and the transparency involved. I always give credit to the original poster of the recipes when I trade. In person this is done by including an index card with the recipe name, contents w/ %, [original poster's screenname] @ [website/forum retrieved],and a QR code that links to the exact post. I also include any notes if I make changes to the original. Not only does this give credit where it's due; but hopefully also recruits some contributing members to this forum. This is because I'm very grateful for the information shared here and would have probably quit vaping and kept smoking cigs long ago without a resource like VU.
  • I know that my posts are usually very verbose and extensive but information is like a flavor-inventory: better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. So thank you for taking the time and effort to make it through my ramblings.

Nikolais

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Foreword: I try not to be spoon-fed and do my own research but I am getting a bit overwhelmed in my info-quest; so all apologies if I overlooked a resource (here or easily searched on the web). I swear I tried every keyword-combo I could think of along with re-reading several posts that are relevant (primary research resources linked near bottom of post).

Context: To start out, I made a recipe that was posted on VU (Kiwi Double Berry by KGuardian). I ended up trying the variant (s)he posted with TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and instantly knew (after a 4-5 day steep) this was a keeper for me.

Here's where my confusion starts. I have a local-vape-friend and we share recipes from time to time. He is very conscious of his ejuice contents though (diacetyl, acetoin, ap, etc). I on the other hand am a little more forgiving (by no means do I "not-care" but I am willing to use small amounts in juices that I vape once-in-a-blue-moon). When we trade recipes I do my best to translate recipes w/ questionable components into "cleaner" versions for his peace of mind.

Main Questions: I remember from HiC's "My Notes On" (under Vienna Cream section) that using FA Vanilla Classic and FA Vienna Cream was a good starting point for an ice-cream base. I may start working with this as a substitute but haven't tried it standalone compared to VBIC single-mixed. My goal is to get as close as possible to replicating VBIC.

So in trying to research the components used: I referenced TFAs spec list for VBIC and noticed that the description for the Acetyl Propionyl component states: "toasted, buttery and caramellic with marshmallow and molasses nuances". Will the Vienna Cream profile contribute similar nuances that VBIC has (ie: that combination of buttery, carmalized sweetness)? Maybe a balanced combo of Vienna, Catalan, and Fresh Cream at very low % each can work well with the Vanilla Classic? (Note: This is where I realized that I'm probably over-thinking it and should reach out to more experienced mixers before making multiple samples and wasting resources before next flavor order comes in).

I have tried the Vienna Cream/Vanilla Classic combo before but only when mixed with other flavors such as Tiramisu and fruits. I have every intention of making sample batches and going through the trial-and-error phases of pinning it down. If anyone has any suggestions that might help narrow the scope of my guess-work before diving in, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is kind of a tall order, but to quote the OSCP motto: "When things get tough...try harder!" Let me extend an early thank you to anyone that can assist.

Resources used:
Original recipe for Kiwi Double Berry by KGuardian
TFA Spec Lists
FA test by Enthalpy Analytical, Inc
HiC's "My Notes On" @ MamaJ's

Additional Notes:
  • I just thought that I would mention something in case anyone had any concerns about my recipe swaps and the transparency involved. I always give credit to the original poster of the recipes when I trade. In person this is done by including an index card with the recipe name, contents w/ %, [original poster's screenname] @ [website/forum retrieved],and a QR code that links to the exact post. I also include any notes if I make changes to the original. Not only does this give credit where it's due; but hopefully also recruits some contributing members to this forum. This is because I'm very grateful for the information shared here and would have probably quit vaping and kept smoking cigs long ago without a resource like VU.
  • I know that my posts are usually very verbose and extensive but information is like a flavor-inventory: better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. So thank you for taking the time and effort to make it through my ramblings.
Vanilla bean gelato tpa is suppose to replace vbic. May need some fresh cream

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ended up trying the variant (s)he posted with TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and instantly knew (after a 4-5 day steep) this was a keeper for me.

I tried your edit to the recipe using TFA VBIC and it is indeed very good. It's a bit creamier than the CAPs VBIC. I actually think I like it a little better with the TFA.

Vanilla bean gelato tpa is suppose to replace vbic. May need some fresh cream

I would like to add maybe trying a small bit of Fresh Cream and Vanilla or French Vanilla to help build TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato into more of a vanilla ice cream if you decide to try the Gelato. I remember reading Fizzmustard's notes on using gelato in place of VBIC and that was recommended. His notes are here. I never tried the diketone free version. I did try the one with TFA VBIC and it was then I found that I HATE TFA's Strawberry. Love their Ripe Strawberry though.

EDIT: Sorry....just realized that @VelvetA posted the same link to Fizzmustard's recipe. Duh...

Last edited:

mrquackers00

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Definitely appreciate the suggestions. I remember coming across the a Fizzmustard post a long time ago (looking at straw/ice cream suggestions) and forgot to reference back to that before asking. After re-reading it you guys/gals pointed me right where I needed to go. Time to do some more research into the VBIC vs gelato comparison.

I'll make sure to update this post with results after everything arrives and has a few days to steep. The gelato will probably be the best route, but I wouldn't mind trying 5-6 variations just to see what they produce. Thanks to all for the stellar feedback. :)

Elickwizard

Member For 4 Years

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I actually hated the Vanilla Bean Gelato, it was like chemicals to me.

I've used 3% TFA Vanilla Swirl + 1-2% TFA Sweet Cream to get a fair Ice Cream flavor.
The Vanilla Swirl is supposed to be D-free.
Also like TFA French Vanilla Deluxe and the DX version is supposed to be clean.
TFA Dairy MIlk is good but I don't know if it's D-free or not.
FA Condensed Milk is another nice add-on for Dairy stuff at 0.5%.
(But some don't like it and they detect sour milk taste I think)

I also prefer CAP VBIC over TFA but I've had one or 2 mixes where the TFA was better than CAP.

VU Sponsors