Become a Patron!

Help finding information

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Situation: I served through basic, given entry level separation due to medical issue not service related.

Objective: Attaining the medical records the military used to determine my disqualification for service.

Method: We've contacted National Archives once before and promptly got some basic information back. Contacted them again with specific request for medical records approximately three months ago, not heard a peep.

Purpose: Personal records as well as possibly use to help determine a disability status. Wife believes she saw that disability was mentioned in the military records. She wants that clarified out so as to see where we go from there.

Anyone able to offer insight can please PM. Thanks in advance.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wed 24 Feb 2021 02:11:21 AM EST

Thought I would update this and give a bit of brief commentary.

First a big thank you to no one here. Getting no response at all helps me really clarify we're doing all we can, firstly. It also clarifies something else I had about half suspected.

What had I a military rejected suspected?

That if indeed you were "stamped" out as that then no one offers any help. So, that clears up the military folks being assholes. Yes indeed they are. Right, got it now. Thanks. Not a problem. I'll continue on my own merry way just as I've done most of my fighting life.

Why would I think that?

Let me see, maybe because a prick told me my discharge would still be listed as honorable. Come to find out I was separated on entry so basically I got no military record even if I did pass basic, was willing to keep going. I had every intent to go 40 years or more. I made no mistake. I wanted to serve. MEPS made the error.

So then I ask for help. Even a, "Hey, don't know what to tell you beyond what you're doing", would have been nice. Been near a month and no one offers even that. No one offers even a, "hey fuck you." So yeah, there you go. That's my thinking on it, military equates to assholes. Thanks for showing me the light.

And before anyone gets all in my face to show respect. Go unfuck yourself. I grew up learning army infantry from an uncle that served in Vietnam, a grandfather that served in WW II, a "retired" Screaming Eagle Army Airborne Ranger that was Delta. I grew up learning about Navy from a man that was Broiler Tech over 40+ years.

I know respect. I'll not respect those who offer none to me. It seems clear that not even being bothered to offer a simple response shows a lack of respect. Again, it was not my error. I should have been granted an honorable discharge as I was told. But it's all fine. I'm not holding a grudge.

It just irks me out of the principle of having been lied to about it. And then I ask for help. So don't tell me to be respectful, go look in a mirror instead.

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Wed 24 Feb 2021 02:11:21 AM EST

Thought I would update this and give a bit of brief commentary.

First a big thank you to no one here. Getting no response at all helps me really clarify we're doing all we can, firstly. It also clarifies something else I had about half suspected.

What had I a military rejected suspected?

That if indeed you were "stamped" out as that then no one offers any help. So, that clears up the military folks being assholes. Yes indeed they are. Right, got it now. Thanks. Not a problem. I'll continue on my own merry way just as I've done most of my fighting life.

Why would I think that?

Let me see, maybe because a prick told me my discharge would still be listed as honorable. Come to find out I was separated on entry so basically I got no military record even if I did pass basic, was willing to keep going. I had every intent to go 40 years or more. I made no mistake. I wanted to serve. MEPS made the error.

So then I ask for help. Even a, "Hey, don't know what to tell you beyond what you're doing", would have been nice. Been near a month and no one offers even that. No one offers even a, "hey fuck you." So yeah, there you go. That's my thinking on it, military equates to assholes. Thanks for showing me the light.

And before anyone gets all in my face to show respect. Go unfuck yourself. I grew up learning army infantry from an uncle that served in Vietnam, a grandfather that served in WW II, a "retired" Screaming Eagle Army Airborne Ranger that was Delta. I grew up learning about Navy from a man that was Broiler Tech over 40+ years.

I know respect. I'll not respect those who offer none to me. It seems clear that not even being bothered to offer a simple response shows a lack of respect. Again, it was not my error. I should have been granted an honorable discharge as I was told. But it's all fine. I'm not holding a grudge.

It just irks me out of the principle of having been lied to about it. And then I ask for help. So don't tell me to be respectful, go look in a mirror instead.
this is the FIRST time i have seen your request..
yet love figuring out stuff.
sooooooooooooooooooo
PM me in itty bitty words of just exactly what it is your trying to figure out and
??? MAYBE ???
i can help.
JUST keep it real simple.
ZERO military service have i...
yet willing to try my best for you.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey Mist did you try here: https://vetrecs.archives.gov/VeteranRequest/home.html

edit: I should have read deeper and it looks like you have. There is a big disclaimer on their page that they are basically closed due to covid which is a crock if you ask me. However, as far as I know the National Archives is the only place to get your records.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey Mist did you try here: https://vetrecs.archives.gov/VeteranRequest/home.html

edit: I should have read deeper and it looks like you have. There is a big disclaimer on their page that they are basically closed due to covid which is a crock if you ask me. However, as far as I know the National Archives is the only place to get your records.

Yeah, it was National Archives she sent to. She got back like a "cover letter" type of response the first time.

In that it mentions according to Navy I was disable. What she wanted then was full medical records with someone that had signed off on that. So it would be "matter of record".

It would be handy because I could then at least possibly qualify for Federal disability. As I explained to @DaBunny privately, I'm not looking for a "handout". At the same time if I do qualify for help I'm unaware I could be getting, ...

Besides that's it's kind of the principle of it. I filed, went through the whole process, got told wait a year file again. If we go again wife wants it all brass tacks so it isn't denied and I got to appeal to adjudication again.

Have to agree that finding stuff being hampered by COVID is a crock too. We submitted her second request well before Covid was an issue. Still not heard back.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, it was National Archives she sent to. She got back like a "cover letter" type of response the first time.

In that it mentions according to Navy I was disable. What she wanted then was full medical records with someone that had signed off on that. So it would be "matter of record".

It would be handy because I could then at least possibly qualify for Federal disability. As I explained to @DaBunny privately, I'm not looking for a "handout". At the same time if I do qualify for help I'm unaware I could be getting, ...

Besides that's it's kind of the principle of it. I filed, went through the whole process, got told wait a year file again. If we go again wife wants it all brass tacks so it isn't denied and I got to appeal to adjudication again.

Have to agree that finding stuff being hampered by COVID is a crock too. We submitted her second request well before Covid was an issue. Still not heard back.

By chance were you evaluated in a VA hospital before discharge?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
By chance were you evaluated in a VA hospital before discharge?

I don't know if it was a VA Hospital or not. I had an MRI of my brain at a hospital I was told was a navy hospital. That was in IL I believe.

After a quick search, I think that perhaps it may have been VA.

Here is the one I think it was. I recognize the crescent facade.

Although it has been thirty years ago now. Lots of that time is a bit of a blur. I just got in transport, went where it arrived, did as asked, returned to base. But that crescent load in/out front and Lovell seem to be pinging in memory.

Would I contact VA or the hospital directly? Would that get access to full records from Navy, not only records of testing?

And looking over the directory, they had an internal medicine department, an endocrine department. How could they not have known what was going on with me, and how to treat? *smh*

Kallmann syndrome was first described by name in a paper published in 1944 by Franz Josef Kallmann, a German-American geneticist.[7][8] The link between anosmia and hypogonadism had already been noted by Spanish doctor Aureliano Maestre de San Juan in 1856.[9][10]

It was well known by 1996. Further if the Navy listed that as a disability and it is "matter of record", why then the BS circle jerk of fully denying my filing for disability? Yeah, I'm starting to agree with my sailor dad, I been railroaded.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
There is a VA support agency whose sole purpose is to help veterans with things like this. When my husband wakes up in a few hours, I will talk to him about it. He was discharged on Temporary Disability Retirement, but his disability was classified as service related.

Try starting with these folks:

The Dept of Veterans Affairs is the agency I was trying to think of.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is a VA support agency whose sole purpose is to help veterans with things like this. When my husband wakes up in a few hours, I will talk to him about it. He was discharged on Temporary Disability Retirement, but his disability was classified as service related.

Try starting with these folks:

The Dept of Veterans Affairs is the agency I was trying to think of.

I do appreciate this. Not sure VA can help though. From the way my discharge reads it was an "Entry Level Separation". My wife explained it to me as being like an annulment.

It means everyone can say I was not ever military at all. I know I was there, they do too. But "officially" it is as if I never served at all. I graduated basic and had to wait around two weeks on paper work to get processed out.

I was "in fleet" active two weeks after basic. My mom asked her buddy a Colonel at our VFW back home if I was listed as just a vet. He thought maybe so but then thought about my discharge and said no, I don't even list as a vet.

Reckon we can try this route though and see. I might just have refile another request from National Archives. Maybe they need a jolt.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I appreciate your situation. I'm a vet and know how frustrating it is dealing with their massive bureaucracy. I recently got hearing aids from them which entailed 3 visits. Yet they can't issue me an ID card because thay aren't taking photographs due to Covid. Wtf?

The only advice I can give is to contact your Congress people. I think many would be surprised at how effective this could be. They will check to see if you voted recently.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I appreciate your situation. I'm a vet and know how frustrating it is dealing with their massive bureaucracy. I recently got hearing aids from them which entailed 3 visits. Yet they can't issue me an ID card because thay aren't taking photographs due to Covid. Wtf?

The only advice I can give is to contact your Congress people. I think many would be surprised at how effective this could be. They will check to see if you voted recently.

Well, I'll be out of luck there too. Not voted since Regan. Wife votes.

Master Rahl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Seems like you picked up plenty of the military attitude based on this post.... lmfao.... yeah your congressman should be able to help. When I came back stateside from Afghanistan I processed out before all of our containers made it back and when they did my unit busted my locks and raided my gear leaving me on the hook for about 7k worth of gear. I about lost my mind trying to figure out who to talk to or what I needed to do. After contacting my congressman I never heard another word about it and that was back in 2007. Whoa 14 years ago... now I feel a bit old thanks for that lol. Hope it works out for you keep us posted.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have a good friend in Maryland who regularly contacts her Senator - but her technique is that she just worries the hell out of them.

Squeaky wheel and all that...

I've never tried it myself, so I don't know.

VU Sponsors