Become a Patron!

Help me find MY ideal top airflow RTA

Hi. I'm looking for a top airflow RTA, preferably with dual coils and 24mm diameter. I am a MTL vaper, but I still like a looser draw. For reference, I tried a geekvape ammit mtl rta and even with the airflow fully opened and using a standard 510 drip tip instead of the included more restrictive tip, the draw was too tight for my liking. The other thing I didn't like the about the ammit was that even though it was top airflow so it couldn't leak, it would frequently "flood" internally and then you couldn't inhale and if you tried you'd just get juice in your mouth like drinking through a straw.

I also tried the geekvape zeus x rta and that even with the airflow ring closed 95% the draw was too loose and I absolutely cannot get a good MTL hit. The zeus x however did not have any issues with internal flooding.

I currently use the OBS crius v3 with the airflow open about 75%. That is about the perfect draw for my liking, however it has a bottom airflow and although it doesn't leak per say, after vaping through 1 - 1.5 tanks, the condensation starts to build up in the bottom and eventually will start dripping out of the airflow port and making a mess which is why I'm looking for an RTA with top airflow. Does anyone have any suggestion on a top airflow RTA with similar airflow qualities as the OBS crius v3???

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi. I'm looking for a top airflow RTA, preferably with dual coils and 24mm diameter. I am a MTL vaper, but I still like a looser draw. For reference, I tried a geekvape ammit mtl rta and even with the airflow fully opened and using a standard 510 drip tip instead of the included more restrictive tip, the draw was too tight for my liking. The other thing I didn't like the about the ammit was that even though it was top airflow so it couldn't leak, it would frequently "flood" internally and then you couldn't inhale and if you tried you'd just get juice in your mouth like drinking through a straw.

I also tried the geekvape zeus x rta and that even with the airflow ring closed 95% the draw was too loose and I absolutely cannot get a good MTL hit. The zeus x however did not have any issues with internal flooding.

I currently use the OBS crius v3 with the airflow open about 75%. That is about the perfect draw for my liking, however it has a bottom airflow and although it doesn't leak per say, after vaping through 1 - 1.5 tanks, the condensation starts to build up in the bottom and eventually will start dripping out of the airflow port and making a mess which is why I'm looking for an RTA with top airflow. Does anyone have any suggestion on a top airflow RTA with similar airflow qualities as the OBS crius v3???

Mind if I ask why you want dual coils? Most MTL and restricted DL atomizers are single coil. The one I'd recommend is the original Intake, not the MTL one. You can choke the air down on an OG Intake or you can run it wide open and it's still just restricted DL. Very easy to build, also, and no funky behavior.

A lot of people would recommend the Juggerknot Mini, but I have had nothing but trouble with mine. I can't build it to vape without giving me dry hits, so I have given up on it.

It kinda doesn't make sense to want a tight-ish airflow with dual coils, because then your vapor gets too hot. Dual coils need more air to keep them cooler.

Last edited:
Mind if I ask why you want dual coils? Most MTL and restricted DL atomizers are single coil. The one I'd recommend is the original Intake, not the MTL one. You can choke the air down on an OG Intake or you can run it wide open and it's still just restricted DL. Very easy to build, also, and no funky behavior.

A lot of people would recommend the Juggerknot Mini, but I have had nothing but trouble with mine. I can't build it to vape without giving me dry hits, so I have given up on it.

It kinda doesn't make sense to want a tight-ish airflow with dual coils, because then your vapor gets too hot. Dual coils need more air to keep them cooler.
It doesn't necessarily have to be dual coil. It's just that out of the different RTA's I've used over the years, the ones with dual coils seem to offer a better overall experience. As I said The OBS crius v3 is really ideal as far as how it hits, just doesn't have top air flow. The OBS crius v3 has dual coils and I guess I'm just trying to find something as similar to that as possible but with top airflow but I'm still willing to try out single coil RTA's

Also, I didn't mention, I primarily vape in TC mode 430 deg F, and with the dual coil OBS crius v3 I can puff on it non stop and it never hits the temp limit, unless the coils are really gunked up.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It doesn't necessarily have to be dual coil. It's just that out of the different RTA's I've used over the years, the ones with dual coils seem to offer a better overall experience. As I said The OBS crius v3 is really ideal as far as how it hits, just doesn't have top air flow. The OBS crius v3 has dual coils and I guess I'm just trying to find something as similar to that as possible but with top airflow but I'm still willing to try out single coil RTA's

Also, I didn't mention, I primarily vape in TC mode 430 deg F, and with the dual coil OBS crius v3 I can puff on it non stop and it never hits the temp limit, unless the coils are really gunked up.

TC does make a big difference, you're right. That vaping style is outside my realm of experience, though; most of my dual coil RTAs aren't my favorites, so I wouldn't know what to recommend. The single exception is the Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme V2. You'd need to look it over and see if the kinds of coils you like would fit.

Good luck!

VU Sponsors