Become a Patron!

Help Please

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
I am have vapes for a few years but have only used Sub Ohm tanks. I wanted to try to building my own( if that's the proper way to say it) I purchased a new Rta and an RDTA. Some coils, some cotton and basically everything that I thought I needed. my first attempt looked nothing like the pictures I see posted. My questions are as follows?
The coils were too long , how do you know how much to trim off of them? I was guessing?
What is the tool I see everyone use to straighten out the coils once they are installed?
I am basically guessing at everything so anyhelp would be appreciated. I have a Wotofo RDTA and a Kree 24 RTA

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I usually watch You Tube videos to see how they are built- type in your RTAs in the search-
I also watch videos before I make a purchase too.
I have a Coil Master Kit that contains the clippers and coil winding rods - you could use a screw driver that fits inside the coil to straighten and nail clippers to trim until you get your kit. Not sure if anyone sells the Vapdam kit- I won that little tool pouch kit and it is the one I use the most.
These videos are for the Gas Mods Kree RTA

Not sure if this is the Wotofo RDTA you have? This is a video of the Profile RDTA

Wotofo Faris RDTA

Wotofo Single Serpent RDTA

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The coils were too long , how do you know how much to trim off of them? I was guessing?
What is the tool I see everyone use to straighten out the coils once they are installed?

I usually watch a youtube video first as well.
Some of the reviewers on youtube do a real good job of showing how to put the coils and wick in.

The tool to straighten out the coils may be a coil jig.
They also sometimes use ceramic tweezers but they aren't necessary
Those little boxes of screwdrivers you get at the dollar store have one in there that will work.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am have vapes for a few years but have only used Sub Ohm tanks. I wanted to try to building my own( if that's the proper way to say it) I purchased a new Rta and an RDTA. Some coils, some cotton and basically everything that I thought I needed. my first attempt looked nothing like the pictures I see posted. My questions are as follows?
I am basically guessing at everything so anyhelp would be appreciated. I have a Wotofo RDTA and a Kree 24 RTA

Just don't get discouraged :) Everybody fumbles around at first. It's a very rare person who actually CANNOT build. Like everything, practice makes perfect.

It helps if you can post pictures of what you have.

Like @SnapDragon NY says, youtube videos are extremely helpful while your learning.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Just don't get discouraged :) Everybody fumbles around at first

Haha- that is for sure- you should have seen my 1st builds- lol! I stuck with it, lots of practice- You Tube is a big help in learning. I would build right along with the reviewer on my computer desk - much easier to watch someone do it that have it explained.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

how do you know how much to trim off of them? I do trial and error. After 2 or 3 builds I just know how much to Trim by looking at it. This isn’t an issue on anything other than postless atomizers. With a 2 or 3 post atomizer you can always trim after you mount.
I was guessing? works for me

What is the tool I see everyone use to straighten out the coils once they are installed? any coil mounting rod as shown above. Up until the coil master came out, I was using pieces of wire coat hanger and screw drivers. I still mostly use a screwdriver. Any engineering set of drivers works. But to answer your question most use the coil master kits.
DIY Coil Building Kit 4-in-1 Coiling Tool Kit Coil Jig Stainless Steel + Aluminum Wire Crystal Box (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GH4HKG1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ia5EFbRCCD2KK

Lastly ... you tube is your best friend with some of this. Everything you need to know on building can be found there from simple to complex.
some of the more popular you tubers have building for beginners videos that do a great job at walking you through the entire process.

Last edited:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just keep at it. It will take a lil time but youl get better with each go at it.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Many use simple builds and do fine. Do not get stressed out trying to do fancy builds. Yes, they do well. I am not knocking fancy builds. Only saying not everyone gets to the point of building fancy. Not everyone needs to either. What works for you and you think is right for you, is. :)

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
One of the tanks I have has hoped you have to stick the coils in so I have to trim them prior to mounting them. How would I know how to trim them?

SUKMYVAPOR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would maybe help to share a pic of your build and then people can help out with suggestions. Keep coils simple you don't need you don't need quad parallel dual core anything to get a good vape. I have cubital tunnel in both my hands and can eek out coils.. some of the smaller build decks kind of suck . Stick with it . Get a coiling tool to it helps tons..

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
One of the tanks I have has hoped you have to stick the coils in so I have to trim them prior to mounting them. How would I know how to trim them?

If you will go to YouTube, search for the RDA you have, and then choose a build-and-wick video for that RDA, more than likely the presenter will say the leg length that is needed for the postless deck. Otherwise, start with legs about 6mm and just put the coil in and see how it looks, how it lines up with the airflow holes. Air should hit the lower middle and bottom of the coils.

Be sure you know how to tell which are the positive and which are the negative holes. Positive holes are usually in the section of the deck that is surrounded by a peek insulator, which usually appears as a thin line of plastic-looking stuff that surrounds part of the deck. When you mount a coil, you want one of its legs in a negative hole and the other in a positive hole.

You also want to never have any part of the coil or any stray wire touching the cap when you put the RDA together. Also, after you install coils, always check the resistance of your build, either on a regulated mod or on an ohm reader unit. Do not ever put newly-built coils onto a mechanical mod without checking the resistance first.

Please, for your own safety, spend some time watching building/wicking videos on YouTube.

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
I intend to learn a lot more before I put one on a mod and try to use it. I have watched a number of the videos. I did get a coil master device that tells me the resistance and allows me to dry fire it. One thing that I am having trouble finding information on is what wattage do vape at if I know the resistance?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I intend to learn a lot more before I put one on a mod and try to use it. I have watched a number of the videos. I did get a coil master device that tells me the resistance and allows me to dry fire it. One thing that I am having trouble finding information on is what wattage do vape at if I know the resistance?

Can only give some very general guidelines, because people like their vapes at different temperatures.

On a regulated mod:

Coil at approximately 0.7 ohms to 1 ohm, start at about 20 watts.
Coil at approximately 0.45 to 0.69 ohms, start at about 28 watts
Coil below 0.45 ohms, start at about 32 watts

On any of these, after you try the coil at the suggested starting point, you can go up or down by at least 10 watts. As long as you don't start to get the taste of burnt cotton, you can push it up a bit farther than that if the vape is gurgly or weak, or the flavor isn't what you want.

The higher the ohms of the coil, though, the less you'd want to vary from the recommendation. I wouldn't vape a 1 ohm coil under most circumstances at more than about 32 watts. On the other end of the spectrum, I would vape a 0.22 ohm coil at anywhere up to about 65 watts. I don't vape much higher than that, but that's just personal preference. This can also be very device-dependent. I recently bought a Haar RTA (clone). The coil in it is 0.24 ohms and I'm vaping it at 28 watts. That's just where it seems to be the best vape, but that situation is very unusual.

You will need to be aware of how your airflow is set as well. If you want to vape for better flavor, push the watts only a little bit and close your airflow some. So for example, if you have a 0.50 ohm coil and you're vaping for flavor, you might put that at 35 watts and have the airflow about halfway open. If you want great big clouds, you'd be more likely to like the vape at 0.20 ohms, 80 watts or more, with airflow wide open.

Vapor gets hot when watts are high and airflow is restricted, but it will get cooler if airflow is opened up some. It will also get cooler if watts are lowered, but if you go too low on watts you may find your atomizer flooding, gurgling, etc. because the watts supplied to the coil don't get the coil hot enough to vaporize all the liquid going to it.

On the subject of dry-firing coils, if you are using stainless steel wire, do not dry fire them at high wattage. You want to pulse them at about 20 watts, and just until you see them starting to turn red. Don't dry fire them hot enough that they glow bright orange. This is important.

As I said, just very general guidelines.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Forget about all that fancy stuff.
The best way to get to a good staring point for wattage no matter what ohm the coils are is the voltage.
The voltage is your most important setting when trying to dial in coils.

An 18650 fully charged is 4.2 volts
I personally start at 4 volts if I have never used a tank before.

There is no way you are burning out the coil at 4 volts so the very worst thing that could happen is you'd need to turn it up some.
That beats wasting coils & burning wicks for sure.
Most regulated mods show volts and watts.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
My opinion on what wattage range to use if you know the resistance - whatever wattage that makes the vape you like.
The reverse of that - 'what resistance do I use for a specific wattage range' is a different question different answer.

VU Sponsors