Become a Patron!

Help with basics

So I'm planning on getting a mod kit today and just trying to figure out if what I'm hoping to purchase would work. I think the smok light edition tanks are super cool lol so my specific question is could I buy the x-priv kit and then buy the tfv8 big baby light edition tank [kit? I think] and use that with the x-priv mod?

I've been looking for sort of a general guide to how all these coils and mods/atomizers work and work with eachother but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to my question. I consider myself a fairly smart, tech savvy person [in a most humble way, promise lol] so I'm sure I'm gonna feel sort of dumb once someone explains it to me cause I'm assuming it's actually pretty simple and straight forward. So whoever shows me the light and possibly saves me money know that I'm eternally grateful =]

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Almost all the mods and tanks on the market now have 510 connectors. If the description of your mod says that it has a 510 connector, just look to see if the tank you want to buy also has a 510. So the answer to your specific question is yes, you can use any of the Smok Beast tanks with a Smok X-Priv mod.

You also want to check the mod to make sure it will handle the recommended wattage of the coils that go into the tank you want to use. In other words, you wouldn't want to buy a mod that puts out a max of 70 watts if the coils that go into your tank run best at 60 to 90 watts. It's not a good idea to run your mod at or near its maximum output all the time. Puts a lot of stress on batteries.

Also, since you don't seem to mind the technical side of things, see if you can find an RBA to fit the tank you get. One of these days you might decide you want to stop buying stock factory coils, and if you have an RBA, you can rebuild it yourself and save a ton of money. Smok RBAs are a bit harder to find these days but most of them can be found if you really look. @Just Frank is our resident expert as to which RBAs fit which Smok tanks, so if you have questions about that, I'm sure she can help you.

You rock thank you and thanks for the tip about RBA's. I knew those were ones you build yourself but never considered it but you're right I wouldn't mind doing that at all, but I DIDN'T realize it would save some money I guess I just assumed that was the way that people get the fattest, thickest clouds, I had no idea it was cheaper. I actually assumed those were pricier, and basically just for super experienced people. So I will definitely be in touch with them after I get my set up figured out and find some good flavors and what not. Thanks again.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I actually assumed those were pricier, and basically just for super experienced people.

Can you twist a string round your finger? If yes, you got the basic idea of coil building. Yes, you need to meet a few parameters but this is the basic idea. Most regulated devices will not let you fire a coil that is too low rated oHm wise. It seems you're looking into regulated devices.

Find my preferred oHm rate for coils using a mechanical device can do well for regulated ones too. I use between 0.30 to 0.50 oHms coil/s. Usually I like single coil builds. Explaining this just to give you a rough starting point guide if you will. You're free to discard if you like. :)

What will be right for you is up to you to decide. We all find our own preferences. You might want to check out Steam Engine as another guide to help you building coil/s. There's plenty of you tube videos as well.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
So I'm planning on getting a mod kit today. after I get my set up figured out and find some good flavors and what not.
Does it have to be today? Doesn't have to be a kit.
You don't already vape? Why start?

VU Sponsors