Become a Patron!

Hobbies

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its very cool. Flew Cox plastic planes as a kid. Then when I was about 21 yrs. old I built a F4U Corsair from a balsa kit, been building and flying ever since. Whenever I grab the flying handle it makes me feel like I'm 10 yrs. old again.
Here's another to enjoy it's a profile Cavalier.

Attachments

• PE_20140505075744.jpg
    PE_20140505075744.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 6780.jpg
    6780.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Its very cool. Flew Cox plastic planes as a kid. Then when I was about 21 yrs. old I built a F4U Corsair from a balsa kit, been building and flying ever since. Whenever I grab the flying handle it makes me feel like I'm 10 yrs. old again.
Here's another to enjoy it's a profile Cavalier.
I remember the Cox ones. I had a couple of balsa gliders when I was a kid, loved playing with those. Had a fighter jet that flew around on a line you held. Cant recall who made it, was only about 11 at the time. But it was like one of these Sabre jets, I thought it was awesome.
images (31).jpeg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made a fridge magnet for a buddy of mine.
8ef573fbb2dd1c265a13928432209d3f.jpg

Sent from a pile of wood chips

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Got out today as rain forecast for the rest of the week. Close to home as per regulations. Thankfully have some good close places to go near home.
Not the greatest looking of places as a controlled burn was carried out some months ago there for bushfire fuel reduction but nice to swing the detector. Got 5 small bits of the good yellow and saw some nice little wildflowers around the place. Cold day with a few pings from the detector audio signaling coming thunderstorms, it'll pick up lightening strikes up to 500ks away its that sensitive. They were faint so indicated they were a good distance away. So am expecting some storms tomorrow, either here or somewhere in our general district.
The track into the spot I was at below and where I was.
20200817_155835(1).jpg
20200817_160215_HDR(1).jpg
Tiny wildflowers.
20200817_155941(1).jpg
20200817_160039(1).jpg
End result. No fortune but great fun and thankful for anything I get.
20200817_155751(2).jpg
Drive home with the Owl tank atop the Espion Tour mod in the cup holder. Bush track not a road. Dont use my phone when I hit butumen with other road users.
20200817_161404(1).jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I
I like gardening and my favorite tree is japanese bonsai trees Growing and caring for bonsai trees has been a fascination for thousands of years now. Many, however, do not understand what the appeal is in spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, simply to grow a tiny tree. A few things may help such people in discovering the serenity and mystical appeal that many find in the bonsai tree.
I dont have any but a friend I had grew a few. They are amazing to look at.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Out today, feel a bit sorry for those in the cities in major lockdown as it really is dragging on for them and must be hard to take by now.
Went to our favourite lake for a fish. We were the only ones there, was odd as we have never been there alone and not seen anyone else. Even the caravan park near it was deserted, not one car in front of any of the vans or cabins! Never seen that before either. Last major lockdown we saw plenty in the park. Cops must be really stopping the travellers this time.
Was nice but just 1 small redfin on a lure. Tried my European Night crawler worms Im now keeping in my new worm farm but no takers on them. Was just a rubbish day for fishing. Wind was in the wrong dirrection (east winds are notoriously bad for fishing here and hence the old saying here in Aus "wind from the east and fishing is least") , dropping barometer, all against us. Nice to be out though.
20200910_144048(1).jpg
20200910_150452(2).jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thought I would post this here in rememberence of lovely Amber who started the thread.
Went to one of my old favourite places as the day was perfect. Top of 20c, light winds and partial cloud cover. Perfect detecting conditions.
The track in was bogged out due to some recent heavy rain so I found another way in and cleared it from some fallen branches. I love this place. The old timers did a lot of work here and it was a very rich place.
The dam was full.
20210430_112912_HDR(1).jpg
There was once a home here but gone now. Its one of the places I get my bush garlic to cook from.
20210430_112851(1).jpg
The good detecting ground there.
20210507_153552(1).jpg
Success! 4 nice little bits of yellow.
20210507_153500(1).jpg
The winter bush shrubs are just starting to flower.
20210507_153628(1).jpg
Great day out.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
cool, love hiking and camping too. Right now my main hobby is gaming.
I used to love gaming too until I damaged a tendon in my right wrist and had to have an operation on it. Weakened my thumb greatly on that side. Im ambidextrous with a lot of things so thankfully im ok with most but it finished me playing my PlayStation.
Used to love Doom and Quake. Tried with my fingers but didn't work, not the same. :confused:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
What are your other hobbies other than vaping?

Mine, I paint and draw. Go for walks everyday. Listen to music and make playlists. Play with my kids. Throw dance parties in the middle of the living room with them.

What are some of yours?
i read a lot, walk my maltese,enjoy photography and looking on you tube for life in places like tibet,africa etc. lately i have been looking at skid row, geez in the modern world that is so so sad. yes i know there are a lot of **** heads there,but there are genuine people living that life. sometimes we all say we are hard up but the average house has 4 mobile phones,two cars and multiple tv sets etc, yes i know we work for it and good on us, but it does not take much for that to change, lets just be gratfull for what we have and be happy we can see,hear,drive,feed ourselves , walk unaided and go for a beach trip etc, somtimes we forget how well of we are. i know i do.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I used to love gaming too until I damaged a tendon in my right wrist and had to have an operation on it. Weakened my thumb greatly on that side. Im ambidextrous with a lot of things so thankfully im ok with most but it finished me playing my PlayStation.
Used to love Doom and Quake. Tried with my fingers but didn't work, not the same. :confused:
i hope you get well. i am not a fan of computer games but in this world you must engage your brain to enjoy life, as the saying goes "you have two ears and one mouth, use them in the right proportion"

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I fucked up his tail feathers though. When using acrylic paint it's water-based and add a touch of water to thin it out. I forgot to put superglue before painting. So the feathers are drawn back up.
i bet he is pleased!! who wants glue on their butt!!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Back in 2009, the recession was kicking everybody's ass and my husband was on short hours; he had to use his "star notes" from his coin/currency collection, to pay the electric bill so they didn't shut it off. Like, $180 or something; he had a star note of every currency, and used them all.

When I switched to vaping, we suddenly had so much more money, I told him I wanted him to take up his coin collecting hobby again, since he was the one that spent all that money to buy my cigarettes. So he's got a really nice collection again... but still hasn't been able to collect more than a $1 and $5 star note bills.

Andria
i noticed a pensioner who lives beside me buying two potatoes as she said they were expensive! i got a polystyrene box from the supermarket, put in soil and mix, planted a variety of peppers lettuce carrot etc, watched them start of, gave the box to the old lady..she cried!! now i make a couple a week and leave them out for people for free. i have had so many nice notes left, its rewarding.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Thought I would post this here in rememberence of lovely Amber who started the thread.
Went to one of my old favourite places as the day was perfect. Top of 20c, light winds and partial cloud cover. Perfect detecting conditions.
The track in was bogged out due to some recent heavy rain so I found another way in and cleared it from some fallen branches. I love this place. The old timers did a lot of work here and it was a very rich place.
The dam was full.
View attachment 181547
There was once a home here but gone now. Its one of the places I get my bush garlic to cook from.
View attachment 181548
The good detecting ground there.
View attachment 181549
Success! 4 nice little bits of yellow.
View attachment 181550
The winter bush shrubs are just starting to flower.
View attachment 181551
Great day out.
i lived in meldourne for 23yrs before moving to tasmania, what area do you prospect at?

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Every now and then I can find a volume of Mary Oliver's poetry in Kindle Unlimited. She is my favorite poet. Other than that I like some types of fantasy, literary fiction, true and not-so-true crime. Some young-adult stuff like the Harry Potter series. Some nonfiction history. I have Shelby Foote's Civil War series here, waiting for me to have a spare decade or two to spend reading it. :) Like some Eastern philosophies, Buddhist writings (Thich Nhat Hanh's poetry, oh my), Eckhart Tolle. A little of everything except books that have pictures of shirtless guys on the covers, or guys that look like Favio. Not that I don't like the fellas, but I've seen enough chests to last me, and I don't like reading trashy romance novels.

The Way of Sunshine

Precious gems are everywhere in the cosmos
and inside of every one of us.

I want to offer a handful to you, my dear friend.
Yes, this morning, I want to offer a handful to you,
a handful of diamonds that glow from morning to evening.
Each minute of our daily life is a diamond that contains sky and earth,
sunshine and river.

We only need to breathe gently for the miracle to be revealed:
Birds singing, flowers blooming.

Here is the blue sky, here is the white cloud floating,
your lovely look, your beautiful smile.
All these are contained in one jewel.

You who are the richest person on Earth
and behave like a destitute son,
please come back to your heritage.

Let us offer each other happiness and learn to
dwell in the present moment.
Let us cherish life in our two arms
and let go of our forgetfulness and despair.

Thich Nhat Hanh
hey nadal, i have seen loads of chests too, but keep them coming :p

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never saw this thread before. DIY radio was my thing for a long time, and may be again some day. I hosted programs on community radio in Dallas, then college radio here in SA until the university made me mad with ridiculous compliance procedures during Cootie19. A lot of volunteers left during that time. DJ'd sometimes in nightclubs, and now I have my online radio station. I so believe in music to inspire, empower and heal. Artists and bands have often come to me with their demos. I never heard a demo I didn't like. If people have the dedication and discipline to get together, write songs, rehearse, record, then they usually have something good to offer.

Also enjoy cooking and making up recipes, and especially love sharing food with friends.

And writing. I never had enough of an idea to write a whole book, but I love writing too much in this forum.

Travel too, my last trip being Portugal in 2019, right before the Cootie monster came to stay. So glad I did that, because I'm not going anywhere else until at least a year after power drunk politicians have stopped with mandates, the swabs up the nose and all the other ridiculous control attempts. Texas was fairly lax with it, and the only time I ever had to put on a mask was to go and renew my drivers license, but elsewhere in this country and abroad, the power chase is still on.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Never saw this thread before. DIY radio was my thing for a long time, and may be again some day. I hosted programs on community radio in Dallas, then college radio here in SA until the university made me mad with ridiculous compliance procedures during Cootie19. A lot of volunteers left during that time. DJ'd sometimes in nightclubs, and now I have my online radio station. I so believe in music to inspire, empower and heal. Artists and bands have often come to me with their demos. I never heard a demo I didn't like. If people have the dedication and discipline to get together, write songs, rehearse, record, then they usually have something good to offer.

Also enjoy cooking and making up recipes, and especially love sharing food with friends.

And writing. I never had enough of an idea to write a whole book, but I love writing too much in this forum.

Travel too, my last trip being Portugal in 2019, right before the Cootie monster came to stay. So glad I did that, because I'm not going anywhere else until at least a year after power drunk politicians have stopped with mandates, the swabs up the nose and all the other ridiculous control attempts. Texas was fairly lax with it, and the only time I ever had to put on a mask was to go and renew my drivers license, but elsewhere in this country and abroad, the power chase is still on.
portugal is beautifull as is austria and denmark. regarding liking music demos, i agree totally with you, i believe that if a person tries something, even if they fail, then i respect them. what i dont like is people who say..i could do better da da, its better to fail that to never trust yourself enough to try.

Chum

Member For 5 Years
I enjoy playing with Yo-Yos. My Father taught me how to yo yo when I was so young he had to shorten the string. It was the older wooden type axel. He actually did something with the string on that "older" yo yo so it would sleep. I was out shopping in a store with my Wife and saw a Duncan Butterfly and got it on a whim and showed her some tricks I knew from the past. Fast forward to about 10 years ago and I found out that yo yo"s now have bearings in them and I got some of those. I was amazed at how fun they are. Compared to others I am just an "amateur" but it is still fun. If you want to see some crazy stuff search for "Off string yo yo" on u tube.

luckyjack

Member For 4 Years
photography is my fav hobby right now. I love taking photos. When I need some inspiration I check depositphotos. Recently I found many cool tom brady images for my project. It is probably the largest platform with stock photos and they have good prices starting from $0.22 and plans and subscriptions for any budget. That's really convy, useful tool for photographers.

Last edited by a moderator:
last year when my brother became older I started really enjoying spending time with him and most of the time we play on playstation. we have tried a lot of different games and now we collect money to buy new ones. i work a lot, but also play on (spam link removed by staff) sometimes to get more money. and he actually earns a bit of money although, so its really cute that we both contribute in our favorite hobby

Last edited by a moderator:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was looking for a place to post somethings about my new hobby, thought about starting a thread but decided to poke around a bit first and found this thread. So I guess I'll talk about it here.

1703592320058.png

A few days ago I decided to take up the ukulele. It's funny how you never realize just how many things you don't know that you don't know with some hobbies. I knew there were things I should learn before getting started of course, so I did some searches, read some articles, watched some videos. Researched the things that I knew I didn't know.

But it wasn't until I had the thing in my hands that I discovered that there were things I hadn't known I needed to find answers to, ie the things I didn't know that I didn't know. For example, who knew that stringed instruments aren't really ready to play out of the box? I had no clue there was typically some setup involved until I got frustrated over intonation problems. Only then did I discover that none of the "Things every beginner should know" articles and videos I had watched actually talked about one of the most important things beginners needed to know.

Any guitar players out there probably already know about adjusting the action, but for someone like me who never touched a uke, guitar, bass, or anything else of the sort, this was completely unknown to me, and not mentioned in most of the beginner info I had seen.

So before I can really enjoy learning to play, I guess I need to set up a sanding block of some sort, pull my saddle off, and sand it down. Good thing those saddles are dirt cheap, I might screw it up a time or two before I get it right since it is apparently vital to keep the bottom perfectly flat.

For reference, the saddle is the white piece under the strings at the bridge end, it's held in place just by the string tension and once I knew to look for info on this I learned that it is intended to be modified/adjusted to meet the needs of each individual and their instrument.
1703592765517.png

Well, guess I need to figure out what I did with my little steel rule so I can measure my action height and mark the saddle properly.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Once I gathered everything together for my little project and actually measured the action on my uke in a couple of places, I realized my problem was not in fact the saddle, but rather the nut. That's the part holding the strings up on the other end. A bit trickier since that is glued on, and I didn't want to try modifying the slots. Managed to knock it loose with little effort though, so I sanded down the bottom. My measurement was a little off I guess, think I went too far.:oops:

But at least my chords sound better, as long as I'm careful to fret extremely lightly.:teehee: Next step will be figuring out if I can shim it back up a touch.

No actually, next step is celebrating the fact that I actually did this on my own instead of paying someone else to do it.:drunk:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Once I gathered everything together for my little project and actually measured the action on my uke in a couple of places, I realized my problem was not in fact the saddle, but rather the nut. That's the part holding the strings up on the other end. A bit trickier since that is glued on, and I didn't want to try modifying the slots. Managed to knock it loose with little effort though, so I sanded down the bottom. My measurement was a little off I guess, think I went too far.:oops:

But at least my chords sound better, as long as I'm careful to fret extremely lightly.:teehee: Next step will be figuring out if I can shim it back up a touch.

No actually, next step is celebrating the fact that I actually did this on my own instead of paying someone else to do it.:drunk:
well done. even if you fail its better than not trying.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Same here. Would highly appreciate any book recommendations :)
Just found this thread and it doesn't look like you've been on for a bit, but I love to read. So in case you see this, what types of books do you like? I may be able to give some suggestions.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

You'll end up knowing more about ukelele structure than many professionals.

VU Sponsors