Become a Patron!

Hohm wrecker g2

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
Hey folks, I got a G2 last Thursday and I must say that after a week of trying to love this thing I am extremely underwhelmed. Mod updated fine, running 2.5.7 and I get extremely inconsistent performance from it. Most times it feels very underpowered. Temp Control is hit or miss(SS316L). Never got Kanthal or Nichrome to temp control in any sense. I have LG HE2's and LG HG2's that are authentic and less than 4 months old. The batteries are fine. I build coils and I am certain they are fine(Aliens, Framed Staples, Alien Framed Staples). Used it with an Ijoy Combo RDTA, Peerless RDA, Cigpet Eco RDA, Gaia RDTA. Hit and miss with all but they work fine on other mods. I've gone through this thread and the First Time users thread with no joy. I am honestly considering getting a Triade instead because I need a mod that can accurately and consistently handle Super-Sub-Ohm builds because I build ALOT(300-500) of coils a month and I must know how they work. So is it just my Mod or is this how the G2 works?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey folks, I got a G2 last Thursday and I must say that after a week of trying to love this thing I am extremely underwhelmed. Mod updated fine, running 2.5.7 and I get extremely inconsistent performance from it. Most times it feels very underpowered. Temp Control is hit or miss(SS316L). Never got Kanthal or Nichrome to temp control in any sense. I have LG HE2's and LG HG2's that are authentic and less than 4 months old. The batteries are fine. I build coils and I am certain they are fine(Aliens, Framed Staples, Alien Framed Staples). Used it with an Ijoy Combo RDTA, Peerless RDA, Cigpet Eco RDA, Gaia RDTA. Hit and miss with all but they work fine on other mods. I've gone through this thread and the First Time users thread with no joy. I am honestly considering getting a Triade instead because I need a mod that can accurately and consistently handle Super-Sub-Ohm builds because I build ALOT(300-500) of coils a month and I must know how they work. So is it just my Mod or is this how the G2 works?
How are you doing tc, SS or xxx mode?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You need to use xxx mode for kanthal and I use it for ss316l also. I dont have good luck with ss or kanthal modes. I use an fsk of around 5 for kanthal, although lower works but 5 is more stable. For SS316l I use an fsk of around 12. Lower will work but that is more stable.

Fsk plays two roles. 1. It makes your build work in tc mode. 2. It applies the heat. The higher the fsk the hotter the vape. This is not a temp control type heat. If you are getting burnt hits and the build is working fine, the first thing I would do is turn the fsk down. That normally fixes it.

Make sure and turn the watts and temp up enough for your build. I only do spaced SS316 and single clapton. I also only use boreas and pharoah RTAs. Those builds taste great.

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
I used xXx mode for Kanthal and Nichrome and in Kanthal and Nichrome mode. Had to have FSK set anywhere from 2 to 25 for Kanthal for it to work on the same build that I'm sure had no hot spots and was installed properly. Nichrome was anywhere from 1.5%-9% on the same build and it was reading the resistance very wrong(0.16 for a 0.13 build). Very inconsistent results. It'll pull great 2-3 times...then weak from then on. Batteries over 90%. It is also inconsistent with resistance reading. I find myself going back to my Battlestar too often than I think I should(I'm using it right now with a 0.08 SS Alien Framed Staple) and it fires shittier but more consistent than the G2. Both SS316 mode and xXx. Honestly if I have to sum it up it is working like a Wismec mod with a shitty 510. It read a 6 wrap and an 8 wrap Alien Framed Staple last night at the same resistance(0.1-0.12) ohms and yes, I did clear the resistance everytime

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
One more thing I'll add is it is also inconsistent in DWM. Sometimes it'll hit hard all the way down to around 35% Battery. Sometimes from 95% it'll hit weak(feels like 80-85w at 120w) Last night it hit weak from 98% battery. Honestly, I have no confidence in it. This forum is what convinced me to get it and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I don't get the results everyone else seems to be getting. Hell, at this point I trust a Smok/Wismec mod to fire more consistently than my G2

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I find when it's inconsistent the fsk is too low. If you look at the screen when hitting the fire button and the watts go to zero or really low it's normally a too low fsk issue.

Also, some wire manufactures work better and some builds work better. I bought 26/36 k clapton single from LV. Works great in tc with normal 5ish fsk. I bought 28 fused clapton from LV. It will not tc no matter what I do. I made 26/38 SS claptons single using kidney puncher wire, no issues.

I don't use giant mass wires like yours so this is all I have.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One more thing I'll add is it is also inconsistent in DWM. Sometimes it'll hit hard all the way down to around 35% Battery. Sometimes from 95% it'll hit weak(feels like 80-85w at 120w) Last night it hit weak from 98% battery. Honestly, I have no confidence in it. This forum is what convinced me to get it and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I don't get the results everyone else seems to be getting. Hell, at this point I trust a Smok/Wismec mod to fire more consistently than my G2
Put a 24g ss316l 9 wrapped spaced in one of your RTAs and see what that does.

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
That I could understand but I also get inconsistency in DWM and the occasional very wrong resistance readings is what opened my eyes. My wires are Temco for Kanthal and Coil Society for NI80 and SS316L. I would have blamed the wire if they didn't work beautifully on other mods. Hell the TC vape the Battlestar is currently giving with the 0.08 ohm build is very doable...just has a slow ramp-up. Put it on the G2 and it'll fire it don't get me wrong...but it feels weak more times than it doesn't. I don't currently have 24g SS316L, only 28g. The build I'm running right now is 2-28g Frames. 6-0.4x0.1 ribbon and 38g Alien wrap all in SS316L. 6 wraps at 3mm. I could accept if this is just how FSK works because I'll retire that mod in a heartbeat if I can't rely on it...but it seems everyone else is getting great results, so I wanted to see if it was me or my particular mod giving the issue....because I already ruled out the build and atomizer as being the issue.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm actually not sure how well that coil will work in tc mode. For the fsk chip it may be power only.

The good results others are getting I think are with less complex builds. That's why I suggested what I did. 22g k 3 ID dual 8 wrap works great in tc on the boreas. Ohms at 0.25.

It's great that you can build complex coils but I would try something less. I don't think it's a g2 issue. I think it's a complexity issue.

If your coils work in power mode, it's not a g2 issue. It's a coil build issue. Remember my fused 28g k would not tc but would power great.

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
Yeah the work in Power mode but it feels weak. Works better on the Tesla Wye and Battlestar in both Power and TC with the same complex build which is why I think it is a G2 issue. It feels strikingly similar to an RX300 my cousin had with 510 issues. I'll try a simple build and see how it goes. If it works well the G2 will be re-assigned as a paper weight. I have no use for a mod that can only properly fire simple builds as I don't use them.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah the work in Power mode but it feels weak. Works better on the Tesla Wye and Battlestar in both Power and TC with the same complex build which is why I think it is a G2 issue. It feels strikingly similar to an RX300 my cousin had with 510 issues. I'll try a simple build and see how it goes. If it works well the G2 will be re-assigned as a paper weight. I have no use for a mod that can only properly fire simple builds as I don't use them.
I am only running simple dual claptons (0.15 - 0.25 ohms) in mine currently and I love the tc ss vape it gives in normal tc mode. I had some complex ss dual coils someone on ELR sent me (sub 0.10) and it gave a great vape for me. Maybe I like it because I don't have any dna/yihi in my rotation?

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
I did try SS dual cores and the TC vape was very good indeed. Come to think of it...I only got issues when I ran Aliens and Framed Staples. The issue with that is a dual core fused clapton just isn't "enough" for me anymore. Next time someone is scrapping a tank I'll dry again. Can anyone who uses advanced builds comment on the performance of the FSK vs DNA? I'm going to let my dripper cool and put it on the G2 in a few and see how that goes. I'm trying really hard to love this thing.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Might be a stupid response but are you letting your build reach room temperature before trying to put it in TC? As for power mode...I don't know what to tell you there except maybe try reflashing the firmware

Edit: I just seen your last post so guess you are letting it reach room temp. This was something I was typing b4 my phone died.
Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
Guys I appreciate all the help and I don't mind all the questions, none are stupid...because I'm hoping I was doing something wrong or missed something stupid simple so it'll work well. I reflashed the firmware about 4 times so far. 2.5.7...I even downloaded all and put them in one at a time all the way to 2.5.7. Going to try it again now(using it).

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay so I just tried it. 0.08 build reading 0.09 at room temp. Put in SS mode and it vapes epic. Now the hard part where I wait to see if it decides to just "not".
my deep water super sub ohm builds vaped great from what I recall, as do my my 0.1x - 0.2x builds, so I think you will be happy no matter how long they sit between vapes. my 0.19 build in a boreas has been vaping great for many weeks/months.

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
my deep water super sub ohm builds vaped great from what I recall, as do my my 0.1x - 0.2x builds, so I think you will be happy no matter how long they sit between vapes. my 0.19 build in a boreas has been vaping great for many weeks/months.
So far so good. Battery at 90%. Ohms now sit correctly at 0.08. This Temp control is BY FAR the best I've had. Makes what the Battlestar was doing look like a drunk making Aliens. I have a sneaking suspicion I know what the issue may be. I'll need about 2 days to confirm. I'll be sure to report my findings.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, great advice from everyone and glad to see it is working out better for you, reminds me of my first 3 to 4 days with the G2 before it "clicked"

There is a learning curve, a little too difficult to be honest without the help of the fine people on this thread.

If only the FSK chip was more newbie friendly it would be one of if not the top chip on the market. Thankfully for us all there is a great community here who helps us get there, I am grateful for it

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
Well after 1 day it gave 0 issues. Swapped the batteries after today's build session...only gave one issue which was a dry hit in TC with SS Aliens at 450F. I am suspecting the issue MAY be battery related because with one particular pair of my batteries it worked flawlessly...twice. I just popped in another pair and going to give it to tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
Alright, so after 2 days of testing I'm giving up on this G2. It worked in Temp Control fine with SS Fraliens but always felt "weak". I put a kanthal/nichrome Alien in it just now which I know should be 0.13ohms and the G2 reads it at 0.15-0.17. 110w felt "weak". Put it on my Battlestar and it read 0.13 and 100w felt stronger than the G2 at 110. So it's time to retire it. I'll probably use it just to dry fire low builds. I'll chalk the issue up to MY G2 but it doesn't inspire confidence and my battlestar outperforms it accuracy and power wise. I really tried to love this mod but at this point I think I'll just save up and get a Triade.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You say the batteries are less than 4 months old...maybe try buying a couple of brand new sets and see how that works. I'm only guessing but it sounds like you work the hell out of the ones you have now.

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
Tried that today. Went to the Vape Shop and took 2 batteries fresh out the pack. No joy. I've narrowed all the issues down. Inaccurate resistance readings. Under-powered performance...and well a minor irritation of the battery level dipping hard while vaping(I could more than live with that). The frustrating part is that out of 10 times...it'll work perfect 2 times. I then spend 8 times chasing that wonderful vape.

Edit: I have 6 pairs of batteries in rotation. I go through 2 pairs a day vaping anywhere between 95-120w normally and 140-165w abnormally(1 week in 2 months).

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
Just as an update I'm fairly pleased with my G2 now. Thanks to Raymo2u. I checked and rechecked...have it on 2.5.5 and performance is much better and much more predicable now. Just ran a 0.07 Staple Helix on it for a day and I got a very good grasp that coil. So I can safely say the G2 is now firmly a nuke in the arsenal. Also I learnt that at 0.07 max wattage allowed is 125.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just as an update I'm fairly pleased with my G2 now. Thanks to Raymo2u. I checked and rechecked...have it on 2.5.5 and performance is much better and much more predicable now. Just ran a 0.07 Staple Helix on it for a day and I got a very good grasp that coil. So I can safely say the G2 is now firmly a nuke in the arsenal. Also I learnt that at 0.07 max wattage allowed is 125.
Raymo is the G2 whisperer, he taught most of us the proper way to use it for sure

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Was it a software problem?

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I was bored with my black G2 so decided to make my own LE. Not sure if I like it though....sigh
e108e8e99fbf2a76801a64e7ec5072df.jpg

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I was bored with my black G2 so decided to make my own LE. Not sure if I like it though....sigh
e108e8e99fbf2a76801a64e7ec5072df.jpg

How u find the boreas V2?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Current deals on the G2? Maine Vapor Room doesn’t have any more.
Witch vapor room do you go to? Just wondering...I go to the one in Gardiner sometimes but now that I know my prices a little better I don't go as often lol they got me pretty good on a tube mod when I was really new.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of my Xmas presents to myself:

IMG_20180105_113430.jpg

Love how this particular mouthpiece fits and looks. My blue G2 broke me from my black mod phase, and now I'm really enjoying having a more colorful vaping experience. I also bought a silver G2, but have been nervous to try it considering how much harder it hits. Waiting for a braver day to dive into that one. :p

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
don't believe everything you read.......the orange / red hits the hardest, thats why I have 3.:shades:

The orange is a real beauty isn't it? I didn't expect to like it more than my blue, but it has really grown on me the short time I've had it.

Anyways, 3 G2s and a whole bunch of OG Boreas'es, think I'm set for vape purchases just about forever.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The orange is a real beauty isn't it? I didn't expect to like it more than my blue, but it has really grown on me the short time I've had it.

Anyways, 3 G2s and a whole bunch of OG Boreas'es, think I'm set for vape purchases just about forever.
I recently purchased the aromamizer plus and I love it compared to the boreas the top cap in particular. The knurling and the oring for the top cap makes it so much better as far as the top cap is concerned. I'm sure you have noticed how much the top cap is a pain in the ass.

VU Sponsors