Become a Patron!

How about a proper dark forum theme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

Member For 3 Years
It helps, especially with aging eyes - so it's really an accessibility issue..

I have some Firefox darkening extensions, but all they do with this particular site is inverse the dark/light border with the light/dark 'forum-panel'.

Any chance for this?

Thanks.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I love dark theme and use it wherever it's offered. Maybe if someone would start a supporting member drive it could happen. These types of forum upgrades aren't cheap.

Hoggy

Member For 3 Years
Others already covered what I meant. But for those that may not have discovered these yet, for Firefox there is "Dark Mode Pro" and "Owl", among others. I juggle between these two for sites that either may not work or causes issues (such as inverse pictures or videos). I have it so NMP is on all the time, but then when a site has issues I'll add it to its whitelist and turn on Owl via its "always enable on this site" feature.

The problem with this site though, is that all both of them do is reverse which part is dark and which is light - kind of defeating the whole purpose. :)

Fred Carlson

Member For 1 Year
I don't know many. White words on black background might be easier... but even if it is 99 percent of sites use black words. So its like a mind fudge flipping back and forth through different sites. I prefer black text.

Hoggy

Member For 3 Years
Install Dark Reader - never gone blind since.

(well, ok - some sites are so fubar I must disable to see text - and the rest of the screen then blinds me so I don't return)

Damn you!! Now I'll have 3 good darkening extensions to juggle. :cuss2:

But OTOH, I guess there could be one most perfect one for every site. This site looks nice with Dark Reader though, so far.

As far as what Fred seems to be saying though, many forums actually have a dark theme that can be set, amongst others.. You'll usually either see it in the preferences of the site - or sometimes in a drop-down selection at the bottom of the page.

Some problems caused by these darkening extension though is, for instance, in the smileys -- when choosing one, I can't see their black arms waving. But something like that can be a small price to pay for some eye sanity.

Last edited:
Oh, just wanted to post a similar request,
we need the Night Time Theme here cause the background is way too bright and it's killing our eyes
Let's invite an admin here and convince him to add it

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Or just install one yourself. Dark reader is working well for me.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The lack of a dark mode is the single reason I am not very active on this forum. All the forums I am highly active on are ones that have a dark mode. My eyes just can't take the white background for very long. While I found a work around on the PC (which I very rarely use) I still have not come across a decent solution for mobile devices.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
The lack of a dark mode is the single reason I am not very active on this forum. All the forums I am highly active on are ones that have a dark mode. My eyes just can't take the white background for very long. While I found a work around on the PC (which I very rarely use) I still have not come across a decent solution for mobile devices.
If you have ad blocker they offer a dark theme.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ELR and PotV has a very nice dark'ish mode. and i agree, this very white theme can wear you down.

This_Kelt

Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Install Dark Reader - never gone blind since.

(well, ok - some sites are so fubar I must disable to see text - and the rest of the screen then blinds me so I don't return)
Thank you so much! I came to this thread to add my request for a dark theme, and through you found Dark Reader. Eyestrain begone!

(as an added bonus, several of the other sites I visit that were glaringly painful are now dark and pleasant!)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you so much! I came to this thread to add my request for a dark theme, and through you found Dark Reader. Eyestrain begone!

(as an added bonus, several of the other sites I visit that were glaringly painful are now dark and pleasant!)
I made my own dark theme for Dark Reader. In the addon's pulldown menu, click on the Settings button, then Dev tools. Just copy-paste the code so it gets added to the top of the code that's already in the box that appears. Click on Apply, close the Dev tools window. Enjoy!
Code:
vapingunderground.com

CSS
div {
  color: ${#989280} !important;
}
div.message-cell.message-cell--main {
  background-color: ${#d4d6d6} !important;
}
.structItem {
  background-color: ${#dadcdd} !important;
}
div.bbCodeBlock-content, div.bbCodeBlock-expandContent {
  color: ${#aeb2a0} !important;
  background-color: ${#dadbdb} !important;
}
body {
  background-color: ${#4f4542} !important;
}
.lg-backdrop,
div[class*="message-cell message-cell--main"] {
  background-color: ${#dcdedf} !important;
}
.iconic, .reaction-text, button, a, .fr-placeholder, .menu-header {
  color: ${#aca79a} !important;
}
div.bbWrapper a,
div.bbCodeBlock-expandContent a,
a[class*="username"] {
  color: ${#a0a080} !important;
}
.tabs.tabs--standalone, .tabs-tab,
a.button--cta.button.button--icon.button--icon--write,
.block-minorHeader, .block-header, .block-header a, .block-minorHeader a, .block-desc {
  color: ${#649280} !important;
  background-color: ${#dfb0b0} !important;
}
.bbCodeBlock {
  border-color: rgb(55, 59, 62) rgb(55, 59, 62) rgb(55, 59, 62) rgb(80, 28, 32);
}
.patreon-widget {
  opacity: 0.35 !important;
}
header, a[target*="new"] img, aside.message-signature div.bbWrapper,
.smilie, .reaction-sprite, .message-avatar-online, div.bbWrapper img:not(.bbImage) {
  opacity: 0.5 !important;
}
::selection {
  color: ${#3a3aaf} !important;
  background-color: ${#c0c0d0} !important;
}
div.bbCodeBlock-expandLink a,
div.bbCodeBlock-title a.bbCodeBlock-sourceJump,
a.link.link--external.fauxBlockLink-blockLink,
.structItem-status--watched::before,
a[data-shortcut*="node-description"],
input, span[style*="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); --darkreader-inline-color:#e8e6e3;"],
span[style*="color: black; --darkreader-inline-color:#e8e6e3;"] {
  color: ${#808080} !important;
}
.userBanner {
  color: ${#ffffff} !important;
}
.userBanner--staff {
  color: ${#a0a098} !important;
}
.userBanner--red {
  background-color: ${#d8a0a0} !important;
}
.userBanner--blue {
  background-color: ${#8090df} !important;
}
.userBanner--royalBlue {
  background-color: ${#7088d0} !important;
}
.userBanner--lightGreen {
  background-color: ${#60ffff} !important;
}
.userBanner--orange {
  background-color: ${#f0f040} !important;
}

================================

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We do have a dark theme, now, but I can't tolerate it well, so I stick to the regular set up.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Funny because I'm the opposite. Black background with white text makes my eyes water after a bit.

Maybe I should see a doctor.
No reason to see a doctor. Web designers worth their salt know that bright white text on a deep black background will severely accelerate eyestrain excepting only on a laptop with a built-in LCD screen where it's called high contrast, the purpose of which is that the user can then dim the brightness of the screen's backlight in order to save battery power and still be able to get enough contrast to comfortably read text so, look at my post right above your post... lol

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile