Become a Patron!

how bad was your breathing before you vaped.

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I like ancedotal information....it's about as valid as scientist who are bought and sold like 20.00 whores, by goverment offials and corporations....so....how bad had your breathing got from smoking, and how much did it improve when your became a vaper.

I smoked for 5 years and my breathing was bad enough to where I could walk to the mailbox and back and be breathing heavily. I've now been vaping solely for a little over a month, and I can take a 10 minute fast paced walk with being completely fine. I can smell things so much further away, all tastes are simply euphoric now and much more elevated. Before, when I smoked, I'd take that 10 minute walk and my heart rate would reach 120! Now after a 10 minute walk, it doesn't go past 85. I am so thankful to vaping, it has made my life so much brighter this past month and I can't wait for it to keep on doing it and seeing myself 5 months from now.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I smoked for 5 years and my breathing was bad enough to where I could walk to the mailbox and back and be breathing heavily. I've now been vaping solely for a little over a month, and I can take a 10 minute fast paced walk with being completely fine. I can smell things so much further away, all tastes are simply euphoric now and much more elevated. Before, when I smoked, I'd take that 10 minute walk and my heart rate would reach 120! Now after a 10 minute walk, it doesn't go past 85. I am so thankful to vaping, it has made my life so much brighter this past month and I can't wait for it to keep on doing it and seeing myself 5 months from now.
I am so happy to hear you only smoked for five years and were smart enough to quit.

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I am so happy to hear you only smoked for five years and were smart enough to quit.

I knew the 5th year that I was going on a down hill, before I was much less mature, and I had a few experiences which really influenced me into the right direction in many different ways, quitting cigarettes being one of them. Those experiences were the catalyst of bringing forth the repressed fact that I already knew, that I had to quit, or I would always be living a sub-par life for a lack of a better phrase. While it won't be anytime soon, eventually I'll get rid of nicotine itself, and will be much better off for it :)

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually started running when I started vaping, i was amazed at how as the weeks went by my breathing got better and better. At first I'd run about 1/4 mile and want to die but after a month and half the only thing that stopped me was my legs calling it a day after a mile or two. I don't miss hacking up balls of black mucus every morning trying not to puke either.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Latest blood oxygen level test showed showed a 98 after vaping up such a storm that I needed to put my head to the side to see the monitor type this post. Blood oxygen level higher than it as been in the 2 years and I have been chain vaping like a madman lately. I guess I am better off vaping?

vape-drama.jpg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I smoked a PAD+ for 40 years. was developing a smokers cough. Thought I breathed ok no problems with it from the DR.
However within 1 month of switching to vaping my endurance doubled. Heck I would shovel all my snow without a break and did not sweat nearly as easily. Before I would have to take at least 2 breaks. And at work I climbed rolling ladders a lot and broke into a sweat after 3-4 times up now no problem.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Love the sign! Copying!!! :D

Andria

Andria I spent my morning running Oxygen lines and after taking a break vaping up a shit storm of a cloud I checked my blood oxygen level and it is higher since I quit smoking almost 2 years ago. Believe me seeing your reading that high after physical exertion and working in closed dusted areas is a nice feeling. Vape the fuck on baby!

1400042.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After 35 years+ of smoking even though I was having trouble breathing I just kept smoking. I am so happy I decided I was going to finally quit and if it wasn't for vaping I would be back to smoking.

Like I told a good friend today............ I get more enjoyment from vaping than I ever did from smoking and I enjoyed my smoking. Now I can enjoy the sensation without having the possible health problems.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Andria I spent my morning running Oxygen lines and after taking a break vaping up a shit storm of a cloud I checked my blood oxygen level and it is higher since I quit smoking almost 2 years ago. Believe me seeing your reading that high after physical exertion and working in closed dusted areas is a nice feeling. Vape the fuck on baby!

1400042.jpg

I complain about my breathing a lot, stupid asthma. But the other night, we went for a walk, and after 6 months of NOT taking walks, I figured the hill would kill me the way it did when we first started walking late last summer... but it really didn't. I was a little out of breath, but not *terribly* so.... probably no more than anyone else who'd been sitting on their ass for 6 months. :) So, even though my progress is a lot slower than a non-asthmatic who quits the butts, there *is* progress. :) Considering I smoked for almost 4 decades and haven't been quit for quite 2 yrs... I'm content. :) It'll get there, just by not inhaling all that nasty shit anymore.

:bliss:
Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I complain about my breathing a lot, stupid asthma. But the other night, we went for a walk, and after 6 months of NOT taking walks, I figured the hill would kill me the way it did when we first started walking late last summer... but it really didn't. I was a little out of breath, but not *terribly* so.... probably no more than anyone else who'd been sitting on their ass for 6 months. :) So, even though my progress is a lot slower than a non-asthmatic who quits the butts, there *is* progress. :) Considering I smoked for almost 4 decades and haven't been quit for quite 2 yrs... I'm content. :) It'll get there, just by not inhaling all that nasty shit anymore.

:bliss:
Andria

Andria I was having a little issue the other day and started to think was I vaping too much?? Oh here we go another vaping related BS excuse! Then a bunch of other people started talking about allergies and I remembered........... Oh thats right I got hit with allergies later in life and refuse to take the over the counter medications! Not the vaping it is seasonal allergies. Still registering a 98-99 n the Pulse Oximeter when I check it so we re good!

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Andria I was having a little issue the other day and started to think was I vaping too much?? Oh here we go another vaping related BS excuse! Then a bunch of other people started talking about allergies and I remembered........... Oh thats right I got hit with allergies later in life and refuse to take the over the counter medications! Not the vaping it is seasonal allergies.Still registering a 98-99 n the Pulse Oximeter when I check it so we re good!
yeah but Andria just vapes little whisps ;)

Love ya but could not pass it up :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey my DIY e-Liquid surprised the guy at the vape shop because of the cloud I got out of my Nautilus Mini using my 80/20 Home brew

80% PG? I get fairly decent vapor with 84% -- decent enough; it resembles what I exhaled when I smoked. No need for any more than that.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Then that would be 20/80.

Andria

No sorry old school here where you describe any ratio with the higher number first. No alphabetical BS here. The higher number in a ratio like Air fuel mixtures for example is always first.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nope sorry there Andria, old school for me means how you are supposed to describe a RATIO. Not how Vapers decided they would list it.

Ive
I like ancedotal information....it's about as valid as scientist who are bought and sold like 20.00 whores, by goverment offials and corporations....so....how bad had your breathing got from smoking, and how much did it improve when your became a vaper.
Ive had really bad Athsma since I was 3 yes old and starting smoking at 14 (I know...stupid) but anyway I would be in and out of the hospital and couldn't leave my house with out my rescue inhaler which I used at least 5 times a day or sometimes more. Well 2 years ago I started vaping and after a few weeks I was using my inhaler a couple times a week and then I was done. I don't even carry with me anymore and I'd say it's been at least a year and a half and it's amazing how much better I feel. I hoped vaping would work but I had no idea it would completely take my asthma away

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ive

Ive had really bad Athsma since I was 3 yes old and starting smoking at 14 (I know...stupid) but anyway I would be in and out of the hospital and couldn't leave my house with out my rescue inhaler which I used at least 5 times a day or sometimes more. Well 2 years ago I started vaping and after a few weeks I was using my inhaler a couple times a week and then I was done. I don't even carry with me anymore and I'd say it's been at least a year and a half and it's amazing how much better I feel. I hoped vaping would work but I had no idea it would completely take my asthma away

Yeah, that hasn't happened for me. I still use my inhaler 8-10 puffs a day, and I also have to use Advair now, though I didn't, when I smoked.

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive

how long did you smoke for.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have recently been having difficulty inhaling without a drip tip in my mouth.

CaveCanem

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
After 38 yrs. smoking at least 2.5 packs a day my breathing was really bad. I had to buy a foam wedge thingie to sleep at night because I couldn't breathe if I was prone. Stairs and walking left me gulping air and I wheezed even at rest, and when I got a cold it would turn into bronchitis and a few times pneumonia. I would cough all of the time, sometimes waking myself up at night coughing. Sinus congestion and phlegm.....yeah that, too! Two years ago I got an MVP 2.0 and an ET-S tank and never smoked another cig!! Everything has improved, stamina, breathing, no more coughing and I haven't been sick at all. I watched my Dad die from emphysema and truly wondered if that would be how I died, and I KNOW that vaping saved me from that fate! Breathing improved and general health improved greatly!:stars2:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a note. I did not start vaping because of health reasons. It just kind of happened, wife surprised me with a cigalike kit. Got refillable cartos and found that vaping tasted good. so with the wifes blessing I became an addicted vapist.

Pipug

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smoked over 40 years, sometimes 2 packs a day. Became short of breath, fatigued, coughing, etc. Forget steps or running. Started to vape in 09, quit smoking in 6 days, and here I am, lungs completely clear, no inhalers, no cough. Doctor is pleased beyond words.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I realize this is an older thread. After 45 years of smoking I want to chime in. Began smoking full force at age 11. Anyway, 2 yrs ago my Doc of 46 years told me I have COPD and showed me my x-ray and where the damage was done while scolding me that it would continue to kill me. He said I'd be on oxygen soon if I didn't quit smoking.

I was coughing up nasty colored, gel type "chunks" of green with specks in it.
I was wheezing a lot!
I was out of breath very quickly. Breathing was shallow.
I lost the diaphragms in my lungs They flatted out - gone.
And, it caused me to begin hunching over due to lack of lung capacity.

Unfortunately, I still hunch over as habit but now because of severe problems with my back. I'm in no way a hunchback, but I do stand slouchy with my my shoulders slightly forward and stomach sticking out. I'm actually thin (5" 10", 140 lbs.) I no longer cough up "chunks", my wheezing has stopped, I can lung vape deeper than I thought and my skin color looks healthier. Man, this comment really got me grossed out. I was pretty bad. I'm still suffering the consequences but the apparent signs of smoking are now gone - thanks to Vaping.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I realize this is an older thread. After 45 years of smoking I want to chime in. Began smoking full force at age 11. Anyway, 2 yrs ago my Doc of 46 years told me I have COPD and showed me my x-ray and where the damage was done while scolding me that it would continue to kill me. He said I'd be on oxygen soon if I didn't quit smoking.

I was coughing up nasty colored, gel type "chunks" of green with specks in it.
I was wheezing a lot!
I was out of breath very quickly. Breathing was shallow.
I lost the diaphragms in my lungs They flatted out - gone.
And, it caused me to begin hunching over due to lack of lung capacity.

Unfortunately, I still hunch over as habit but now because of severe problems with my back. I'm in no way a hunchback, but I do stand slouchy with my my shoulders slightly forward and stomach sticking out. I'm actually thin (5" 10", 140 lbs.) I no longer cough up "chunks", my wheezing has stopped, I can lung vape deeper than I thought and my skin color looks healthier. Man, this comment really got me grossed out. I was pretty bad. I'm still suffering the consequences but the apparent signs of smoking are now gone - thanks to Vaping.

I have that same posture issue -- that shoulder-rounding kinda runs in my family.... but I've discovered that anytime my asthma is really bothering me, if I make a real effort to stand up (or sit up) straight with my shoulders back, it REALLY helps my breathing; I can feel the ease on my lungs, just having more room! I'm slim too, but definitely have the middle-aged belly; ;) but making the effort, anytime I'm having a hard time with my breathing, is a huge help.

Andria

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Used to have a Ventolin inhaler which was used often.
Haven't used it even once in the last 4 years.

Used to have a constant pain in my lower left lung, nothing there anymore.

Dominic_Joseph

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I smoked from 12 years old to about 27 years old. I felt like shit obviously after smoking tobacco for that amount of time. I grew up in family where we built houses and had a General Contracting business...naturally I started lighting my grandpas cigarettes and then I started taking his cigarettes.

I put the smokes down and have noticed a huge improvement in my breathing. I no longer get these irritating chest pains and coughing. I knew that smoking was leading me down the path to darkness and vaping saved me. I limit my vaping as well as to not get hooked on that.

this page is full of great stories! Vapeon!

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Into my 25th year I couldn't stop the chronic coughing when I laid down to sleep. I switched to American Spirits thinking that would be better than the Camel's. That lasted 2 weeks. Tried the gum right after that. That was a crock of shit ! Found Swedish Snus. Was in hog heaven.Ppayed about 30 bucks including shipping for 10 to 12 cans. That lasted for a couple of years. Then one evening went to order more. The fucking government removed online sales. Switched to vaping. And here we ago fucking again !

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
32 years of more than a pack a day was taking its toll for sure. The last 5 or so were getting pretty bad with coughing and barking up stuff I didnt want to see.. lol. (I lived in fear of barking up something nasty during a meeting or other public scene)
I would get fairly easily winded, but Im also packing a pretty good spare tire too (maybe its tires ?).

Like a lot of guys, I avoided the doctor as much as I could. Finally went one day, and the doc suggested I might have COPD.
A week or two later I watched a vid of a guy vaping and it sure sounded like something I'd want to try. A nice new vape shop hooked me up and I havent touched a cig since (3 months at this post).

A week after quitting, the coughing dropped dramatically down to like 2% of what it was. I havent had any random odd chest pain like I used to get (although it was sorta random and its only been 3mo, but Im hopeful). My sense of smell improved (note, this isnt always a good thing..), but I havent noticed any increase in taste. I can now breath through my nose instead of being a "mouth breather".. (I dunno if this is due to needing less air now or did some partial nasal blockage clear up ?)

@ AndriaD , your comments about asthma getting a tad worse with vaping has me nervous now about trying to convert my wife. As a teen at home in England she had to use an inhaler daily and only smoked a little bit of cigs. At 18 she moved to Canada, met me and began a pack a day habit. Her asthma was about the same with one major event (wow, that scared the crap outa me.. I thought she was goners), but about 6 months after being in Canada her asthma started clearing up and perhaps a year after just never bothered carrying any more inhalers. That was 20 years ago. We suspect it may have been some environmental trigger that just isnt here ?

Now, still smoking and with me trying to twist her arm into converting to vaping.. Im concerned with your own experiences.
Do we get an Rx for inhalers just in case ?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@ AndriaD , your comments about asthma getting a tad worse with vaping has me nervous now about trying to convert my wife. As a teen at home in England she had to use an inhaler daily and only smoked a little bit of cigs. At 18 she moved to Canada, met me and began a pack a day habit. Her asthma was about the same with one major event (wow, that scared the crap outa me.. I thought she was goners), but about 6 months after being in Canada her asthma started clearing up and perhaps a year after just never bothered carrying any more inhalers. That was 20 years ago. We suspect it may have been some environmental trigger that just isnt here ?

Now, still smoking and with me trying to twist her arm into converting to vaping.. Im concerned with your own experiences.
Do we get an Rx for inhalers just in case ?

Well, 2 things come to mind: first, anyone who knows they have bronchial asthma really needs to always have a rescue inhaler (albuterol) handy, because there are SO MANY different triggers, and an asthmatic never wants to find themselves without a rescue inhaler. I know they're expensive nowadays, but they cost a lot less than a trip to the ER.

Secondly... my experience seems to be somewhat unique; almost every other asthmatic who's switched to vaping that I've talked to/heard from, has experienced a dramatic lessening of their asthmatic symptoms. I really have no idea why that hasn't been true for me. For a while I thought it might have been because after a dual-use relapse, I had to use WTA in order to get rid of cigarette cravings, and after I started using that was when my asthma really took a turn for the worse. I've been off it completely for over a month now, so maybe it's too early to tell anything... my asthma might be a little better than when I was using WTA, but it's been such a short time, I can't really say for sure.

My asthma was always very mild, and for the last 20 yrs of my smoking, I was smoking only about a pk a day, rather than the 2-3 pks a day I smoked before I started taking it outdoors; I suspect that the theobromine that they put into cigarette tobacco was functioning as a mild bronchodilator for me, since that actually is theobromine's pharmacological effect, and I wasn't smoking a great deal. Also, there's the fact that my asthma was adult-onset, after I had already been a smoker for 10 yrs -- until I quit and started vaping, I had never experienced asthma as a non-smoker, so I really had no idea what it would be like.

I'd say it's at least worth a shot, and experiment with different proportions of PG and VG -- I personally find that VG gives me something that feels like a hairball in my chest, that I can't cough up to save my life, so I have to stick to about 85% PG -- but some asthmatics experience just the opposite, that PG bothers them but VG doesn't. I think it's a really individual thing. I do know that my morning asthma and cough-up session has almost completely disappeared; I may cough up just a small amount, once, after hitting my albuterol inhaler, and then I'm fine, I can start vaping right away, though I always had to wait at least a half hour after rising before I could smoke. My asthma does seem to be slowly improving... but it's taking its sweet time. Perhaps after I've been off cigarettes for 5 yrs, it will have diminished to the point that I barely notice it; I can't say.

Andria

RobCrusoe

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know why, but I've had worse shortness of breath in the month I've been vaping than I ever had in the 12 years I smoked.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't know why, but I've had worse shortness of breath in the month I've been vaping than I ever had in the 12 years I smoked.

If you're vaping high VG, that could well be the reason why. It flat out smothers me.

Andria

RobCrusoe

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you're vaping high VG, that could well be the reason why. It flat out smothers me.

Andria
I was vaping high VG. I actually searched the web and found this thread about 2 weeks ago. Your symptoms seem to be exactly what I'm experiencing. Due to this I switched to 80%PG/20%VG and it seems to have improved, but the improvement has been very little I think. The improvement could be more due to me doing my best not to inhale than from the change in PG/VG ratio. Either way I can't vape nearly as much as I'd like to or I think I'd be in the hospital. It's frustrating when I go to the vape shop and I see the dude there vaping more in 10 minutes than I do all day and he reports no shortness of breath whatsoever.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's the funny thing. I'm not hacking up anything. I just can't seem to get a full breath like I'm breathing through a straw.
Might want to get that checked out.

You might also be having a reaction to some ingredients in the ejuice.
I cannot tolerate most commercial ejuice and had to start DIY within 1 month of starting vaping.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was vaping high VG. I actually searched the web and found this thread about 2 weeks ago. Your symptoms seem to be exactly what I'm experiencing. Due to this I switched to 80%PG/20%VG and it seems to have improved, but the improvement has been very little I think. The improvement could be more due to me doing my best not to inhale than from the change in PG/VG ratio. Either way I can't vape nearly as much as I'd like to or I think I'd be in the hospital. It's frustrating when I go to the vape shop and I see the dude there vaping more in 10 minutes than I do all day and he reports no shortness of breath whatsoever.

Maybe try 85% Pg and see if that continues the improvement. I didn't have any symptoms like this at all when I first started... but at the time, I was vaping Virginia from MFS, and their default mix unless you specify the VG blend, is 85% PG -- when I remembered that, I started mixing my own at 85%, and it seems to be about the right ratio. I did try 87% briefly, but that actually did make me start having diarrhea, so I'm not sure how people can vape 90%-100% PG. I would, if I could, but the rest of my body seems to object to it.

As for how other people vape... it's just an individual thing. I had to deal with that sort of thing when I got sober in 1992... plenty of people all over the world can enjoy a drink and not lose their minds... but I can't. If I have 1, I'll have 13, or 26, or... to infinity... :D You just have to do what's right for you, and not worry too much about what others do. I vape using a custom-etched mod with an RDA on top of it, and when I exhale my little tootle puff wisps at the vape shop, they give me the confused-dog head-tilt. :D But it works for me, which is really all that matters. :)

Andria

karmakatie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was battling COPD and had a 4 pad habit and a shit ton of meds to keep me somewhat breathing. I started vaping during the 4th round of pneumonia ina 6month period of time because i needed nic and I could not inhale a cig because my breathing was so bad, Hubby thought maybe an ecig would be easier to pull a drag from so off he went to the smoke shop to bring home a cig alike, a week later I ordered my first mod and the rest is history, I no longer take ANY meds for COPD or any inhalers! 4 years later no signs or symptoms of COPD, made a believer of ecigs for my doctor to the point he has had me talk to other patients who could not give up smoking and desperately needed to. I might add I had tried all other stop smoking aids including the evil CHantix (made me want to murder folks ), the longest I ever went was 7-10 days without a cig.

VU Sponsors