Become a Patron!

How Dangerous are IMR Batteries?

Hello, just bought a SMOK xCube II today and 2 Efest IMR 18650 3000mah 35amp batteries. Looked around for a bit, and someone said that if your mod ever shorts out with these batteries in them, they can possible explode or just release a tremendous amount of heat. Is this true? If so, to what extent is the "danger" of using IMR batteries. My friend uses the same setup and they say that they've never had an issue with the batteries/shorting/overcharging. Thanks!

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
its never good if a battery shorts, no matter what mod. Efests are okay, just re-wrapped batts from legit manufacturers. Check the threads on Efest's in the Battery Junkie forum.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well you should understand what kind of drain you are putting on your battery due to your build and whether or not that is safe first, other than that IMR batteries are sort of thought to be more safe than alot of batteries...regardless if you short your battery it really doesn't matter who makes it....don't short your battery...make sure you put them in right and that they aren't torn or damaged.

Damn you guys responded quick. I know not to put the batteries in incorrectly, I know not to put them in if they are torn or damaged. That's common sense to me. Just wondering how safe/unsafe those batts are. I'm pretty sure the xCube has short circuit protection but wanted to look more into it and get some help from more experienced people. thanks for the advice guys

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn you guys responded quick. I know not to put the batteries in incorrectly, I know not to put them in if they are torn or damaged. That's common sense to me. Just wondering how safe/unsafe those batts are. I'm pretty sure the xCube has short circuit protection but wanted to look more into it and get some help from more experienced people. thanks for the advice guys
dude no offense meant...it's just you never know who you're talking to on a forum or there experince...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Efest are rewraps like was said above. The thing is they are rewraps from 3 or 4 big producers. It's basically like Marshalls for batteries. They send the ones that didn't quite make the cut. And then efest rewraps them. Basically you may have a Samsung and a LG in the mod paired together. If you're not having an issue. Don't worry about it now, just take care of them. When its time to replace them go ahead and get a good pair of like cells from say Samsung, LG or Sony.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In a regulated device your pretty safe with that setup you'd have to be doing something terribly wrong to vent or short your device. I wouldn't recommend putting them in a mech it's always good to have micro chip watching your back.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's basically like Marshalls for batteries.

Nice. We need a thread where everyone compares Efests to something crappy.

Efest. The Thunderbird of batteries.
Efest. The vomitous end of the really rough night of batteries.
Efest. The Manos: The Hands of Fate of batteries.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Efest: The Pioneer4You of batteries. (just kidding. I hate that barrel charger and the touch sensor. Never forgave them...)

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Efest: The Pioneer4You of batteries. (just kidding. I hate that barrel charger and the touch sensor. Never forgave them...)
Ive fucked up more then one build on my ipv cause that touch sensor but thank God on the ipv3 li you can turn it off.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wouldn't that be the ultrafire?

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ive fucked up more then one build on my ipv cause that touch sensor
Wow, forgot all about that touch sensor. Yeah, that POS led to the first and only near disaster I ever had with a vaping product.

Efest. The that-time-of-the-month of batteries.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had one pull a gun on me once and take my wallet, so I stay out of the part of town where they hang out.

VU Sponsors