Become a Patron!

How do you organize your flavorings?

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just starting out, but true to form for me I've already ordered a LOT of different flavorings (10, 15 and 30ml mostly) and wonder what the best way to organize them is? I'm using divided boxes (fishing tackle boxes) and keeping them grouped by vendor so far but even that is getting unmanageable since I have to pick up most bottles to see what it is. However, I don't have the shelf space to line them up so they're readable.

How do you organize your flavors?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Good topic. I’m glad you asked. Because for now mine are going in some vintage cookie tins I bought. But it’s not efficient.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I mixed all the flavors recently into one shot 60ml bottles...

Also looked at a lot of the flavors I had on hand and knew I wouldn’t use half of them, so binned them

Now I have 9-60ml bottles of just flavoring (complete recipe) which most recipes taking 11% or less,takes less space and time now...rather looking through my drawer for a flavor(s) I just grab a 60 and squeeze.

Got the idea after making an order request to a kind mixer here, she said she does the exact same...I just took it up a notch

But they are stored in my desk drawer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got an organizer at Menards or Home Depot. I think it's for tools or fastners. t has a couple of dozen drawers. That's were most of my flavors reside. I labeled each drawer to help me find what I want easily. Eventually I couldn't fit them all in there so I also have a bunch of little bins from Walmart.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mixed all the flavors recently into one shot 60ml bottles...

Also looked at a lot of the flavors I had on hand and knew I wouldn’t use half of them, so binned them

Now I have 9-60ml bottles of just flavoring (complete recipe) which most recipes taking 11% or less,takes less space and time now...rather looking through my drawer for a flavor(s) I just grab a 60 and squeeze.

Got the idea after making an order request to a kind mixer here, she said she does the exact same...I just took it up a notch

But they are stored in my desk drawer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once I figure out my favorite mixes are I plan on doing flavor shots ahead of time. Not there yet.
I got an organizer at Menards or Home Depot. I think it's for tools or fastners. t has a couple of dozen drawers. That's were most of my flavors reside. I labeled each drawer to help me find what I want easily. Eventually I couldn't fit them all in there so I also have a bunch of little bins from Walmart.
Kind of have the same thing, kind of an underdesk drawer cabinet on casters. Good to start but I still need to figure out how to organize flavorings. Not sure there's a good answer.
I have them sorted by manufacturer. For me it makes finding them easier
I said vendor above but I meant manufacturer, that's the way I've got them grouped as well.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the best answer is what works for you. For me, the drawers have labels by type. Some of them say-
Sweeteners/Enhances
Vanillas
Citrus
Berries
Candy/Beverage
Various Inawera
Various Flavourart
Various __________
Marshmallow/Meringue
Graham Cracker/Nuts
I like that idea.

This is a new world to me, and I tend to try and master/over-engineer everything immediately. I just need to let it mature naturally. Using the Flavor Stash in ELR is probably the biggest help right now, just knowing that I have a flavor (or don't) and then knowing where to look. I like your idea of groupings. Or I may just stick with brand names and sort through that drawer.

Thanks all. Just wanted to hear what some others did.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
i have mine on a shelf and i alphabetize them. this can work great, "if" you keep up on it, i don't so much .

also. keep a list of flovors you use up. AS SOON, as you empty the bottle, write it down, no exceptions.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have mine alphabetized in nail polish wall racks. I actually need to get some more of them since I'm also using fishing/hardware sectionalized boxes.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use categories, custards, dark berries, strawberries, creams, etc. I use a couple of organizers that have pull out drawers, 64 each and they can hold 2 30ml or 4 10ml bottles. It's all in alphabetical order. I also have plastic boxes that can hold a lot. One is for 100ml bottles, another is Seldom Used, Frequent, Cap and TFA and FA. These are all the extras.

I've got way too many flavors. I have 263 but I made an Excel sheet listing the flavors I use in my favorite recipes and it's only 65.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
alphabetical order.
cab open.jpg
its a WHOLE lot fuller now and the Drawers pull out a whole lot further...
Can also hold the bigger 2 oz bottles with out any issue..

when i tried lining them up on a shelf ended up with a domino effect
they just fell all over the place.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use categories, custards, dark berries, strawberries, creams, etc. I use a couple of organizers that have pull out drawers, 64 each and they can hold 2 30ml or 4 10ml bottles. It's all in alphabetical order. I also have plastic boxes that can hold a lot. One is for 100ml bottles, another is Seldom Used, Frequent, Cap and TFA and FA. These are all the extras.

I've got way too many flavors. I have 263 but I made an Excel sheet listing the flavors I use in my favorite recipes and it's only 65.
I'm only up to 84 flavors with more on the way, but I just started mixing about 3 weeks ago. I see a recipe that sounds good and order the flavors, need slow down. Alphabetical seems logical for now, ELR flavor stash is that way. I'll just keep adding divider trays.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
alphabetical order.
View attachment 147265
its a WHOLE lot fuller now and the Drawers pull out a whole lot further...
Can also hold the bigger 2 oz bottles with out any issue..

when i tried lining them up on a shelf ended up with a domino effect
they just fell all over the place.
Nice cabinet/drawer system, that's what I'm looking for. Where did you get that?

AvaOrchid

Member For 4 Years
I'm just starting out, but true to form for me I've already ordered a LOT of different flavorings (10, 15 and 30ml mostly) and wonder what the best way to organize them is? I'm using divided boxes (fishing tackle boxes) and keeping them grouped by vendor so far but even that is getting unmanageable since I have to pick up most bottles to see what it is. However, I don't have the shelf space to line them up so they're readable.

How do you organize your flavors?
I wish I had some advice for you in fact you gave me an idea with the tackle box thing... my current method is I have a cabinet that has most of my vape crap in it and I just sort of dumped them together in a clamshell package next to my eJuice which is probably not the best method for organization I probably spend more time looking for what I'm looking for than I do anything productive

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I put mine in these. a 3X5 box I get at wally world. The stack nicely fit 30 ml bottles of flavoring nicely and work well in freezer.

I organize by type. Fruits, bakery, tobaccos, add in flavors, drinks, etc.
3x5 box.jpg

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm running into the same issue @marter , though I don't think I have as many as you do yet. Looking into various rack styles, I have basic tools so will probably build one. That's about the cheapest way to go, those little spice and nailpolish racks are 1, limited in size (outgrown quickly) and 2, ridiculously expensive. They start around $20-30 for most and quickly jet over $40-50.

For example a crappy basic 1x4 furring strip (.75"x3.5") 8ft long is $3.18 at places like Lowes. Rip it in half, even accounting for the kerf of a saw and a bit of sanding (if you were inclined) and you're left with 1.5" wide strips, 16ft worth. That's plenty for smaller 15ml bottles, even 60ml chubby gorillas and similar will fit. Left alone without being ripped and 3.5" is plenty for 8-16oz ldpe bottles. A little glue, a few tacks with smaller brads (so the wood doesn't split) and racks are simple to make. Helluva lot more storage room than a nail polish rack.

A 1x4x8 whitewood pine board (not as funky, less finishing than furring strips) is like $6-7. Or even around $20 if you want oak. Still way cheaper. You could cut it in half to 2 4ft pieces, rip one of those halves down the center and cut those in half. End up with 4x shelves 1.5" deep and 2ft wide. Take the remaining piece, cut a 2ft section off that for a bottom shelf 3.5" deep and the width of the other 4 shelves. You'd be left with roughly 2ft, could rip that lengthwise and have 2x 1.5" deep (same depth as the short shelves) pieces 2ft long. Use them as sides, vertically. Arrange it however but evenly spaced a deep lower bottom shelf with 4 shelves above it.. That's about 5" height between shelves. The top shelf could be raised a tad, the smaller shelves for 10-15ml flavoring made just a tiny bit shorter to gain an inch or two and pretty sure those 8oz ldpe's would fit on the lower shelf. In the end for a $20 oak board you'd have a 2ft x 2ft 4 shelf rack (5 if you placed flavorings on top). Maybe a few dollars in glue and small brads, a solid oak shelf for under $30 with around 10ft of linear shelf space.

Not identical to this, but same basic idea/shape only with a bottom shelf that extends forward twice as deep as the others that fit flush with the sides.
small-wooden-shelf-rustic-wood-shelf-interior-furniture-gifts-multi-shelf-fabulous-small-wooden-9-small-wooden-reclaimed-wood-small-wooden-shelves-for-kitchen-small-wooden-shelves-for-bathroom.jpg

I also was looking at pinterest, lots of ideas there if you wanted to get creative if diy is your thing.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/182114378665809898/?lp=true

VU Sponsors