Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I do not mind it either.
do not get into building fancy coils and such though.

I keep 4 or so RBA heads built and wicked ready to use. Makes it a snap to change one out and then clean/rebuild the old one later.

One reason I like subtanks with RBA's better than RTA's.

I am kinda lazy but not plumb stupid with it ;)
Yeah....I'm a factory coil girl. Keeps things simple for me. I don't have a ton of energy these days. DIY is as complicated as I get. Choosing battles for me. :)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Cigarettes taste absolutely terrible now for me. I still sneak one in once in a while and cant finish it. So like a half of a 100 light a week. I never really set out to absolutely stop but its happening.
thats pretty much how I quit, my partner at work had made a promise to his kid to stop smoking so he came to work with a Blu ecig. I was a 2 pack a day smoker so I told him at work Id smoke one of those silly little things with him. within about 30 days after smoking for 22 yrs I couldnt stand the taste or smell of cigarettes. little vape shops were popping up all over town around this time so I stopped in and bought an Ego kit. I thought I was the bee's knee's with that little thing lol. after a couple more weeks cigarettes were a thing of the past. seems like you have come to the same point. smoking is gross, everything about it. good luck !

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I lost interest in vaping. Only when I buy new tank or mod I vape for a week, maybe two and after that I swich back to cigarettes. It is pretty expensive to buy new gear every week. Tried with building exotic coils, the same thing happens. Tried with switching ejuice but 99% of the premium brands taste like crap to me. The only thing that I like vaping is Mustard Milk, nothing else.

Learn to DIY, the exploration of new pleasures from tasting yummy concoctions keeps me motivated. If you like Mustard Mlk, here's a very simple recipe ...

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/sweet-and-creamy-strawberry-easy.316578/

To cut costs further, learn to DIY your own coils ... 100ft of 24ga or 26ga round KA1 (US$5) makes 300 0.5 ohm coils ... $0.02 each, with generic organic cotton.

Last edited:
I knew from the start that DIY would be the motivation factor. I'm the kind of guy who have drawers full of reagents, glassware and electronics parts, run linux, etc... Not very organized, but i keep up somehow.

I gave a quick test to some juices found at local store, most ended up down the sink or remixed. DIY is like home cooked food vs. industrial pre-cooked meals...

I know most people see this as a burden. For them cost reductions is the main motivation and complexity can be handled by buying off-the-shelf products, cartomizers. Gear redundancy is also important, even for beginners.

I hope it will keep me motivated long enough to forget cigarettes for good. 2 months and 1/2 now...

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since most vendor juice is overly sweetened swill, I would have to agree. :blech:
Vendor juice is overly flavored as well.

Juice flavor was the one area I was having a hard time with due to my diminished since of taste. Stuff was either to sweet, synthetic tasting, or tasted like you raided a little kids Halloween stash. So far I'm liking the "No Frills" vendor. Theirs seems to be to lightly flavored vaping product that gets me by. I'm kind of struggling a bit with nicotine elimination. About half of my on hand stock has been cut to 1.5 m. The rest is 0 mg. If I'm at work I keep busy enough that I get a few vapes in when I can. At home is a different story. I can kill 5 ml pretty easy with morning coffee. On my days off it is pretty much cloud city here. Especially if the humidity and temps are up, or it's raining so I'm staying inside.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is the hard part for some..it's not easy for everyone,myself included.

I can relate to OP. I buy shit to keep it interesting and exciting..

I don't buy for interesting and exciting. Basically I have spent way to much in a short amount of time trying to find a gear and juice combo that supplies a satisfying experience. I have for all intents and purposes finally gotten there. Now I'm wondering how long it will last before I have to start replacing hardware because of failure. I'm hoping for at least 6 months life out of my mods.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cigarettes taste absolutely terrible now for me. I still sneak one in once in a while and cant finish it. So like a half of a 100 light a week. I never really set out to absolutely stop but its happening.

Its not who, its inbetween vaping. Like I said I never made quit smoking a goal. I really should though because like I said they taste like sh-t.

We all got into this for our own reasons. Mine was to quit. I was one of the fortunate ones that made the change straight over. There have been a couple of times where I have had something happen that I've actually wondered where I put my cigarettes. When that happens I grab a mod and go to making some thunderheads for a few minutes. I figure I have enough on my plate trying to keep the boat floating around here that I don't need smoking cutting my life short before I have things taken care of. I'm not going to bust someone elses chops for approaching this from their own perspective. What I do works for me. That doesn't mean it will work for anyone else.

Yes, if I find eliquid that I like probably it will be easier. I started DIY months ago. Just tried the famous Mothers Milk - for me it tastes like the smell that you get when going to the dentist. Yesterday I got Shade and RY4 - terrible.

Probably my tastebuds are messed up.

Im loosing hope.

WOW more money for gas - thats very strong motivation for me. I am sick gearhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try Adore E liquid there banana bondage is very good .I like all of there flavors. Good Luck

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My wife and I been vaping over 4 years now and I've been building coils almost that long also. I may have lost the novelty of building coils but I still do it. DIY now well over 2 years and again I found the nitch of what we like and stay in a small circle if flavors, novelty has long worn off so I build enough juice to last cause I have other things to do.
With 2 of us smoking it was costing $600+ a month(4 years ago cost) to smoke now hacked down to less than 20 bucks and we can vape uncontrollably.
The motivation is never being able to own a new vehicle while we smoked and now since we began vaping we have driven 3 new vehicles off the lot in 4 years, last one being a 2016 Silverado last spring. I sit in the truck and think.....FU Big Tobacco.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Will power, determination, the fact that you are in charge of your own life...but at this point I'm done with cigarettes. Done.

Sell me your vape gear tho.

That's what I'm thinking... how do you NOT stay motivated, if you were a smoker for any length of time and want to keep being a NON-smoker? That's plenty of motivation! If you struggle with motivation to remain a non-smoker... then I guess you just really prefer slow suicide, with a really awful stench and taste in the mouth to go with it, PLUS being broke all the time and getting shit from all the fucking nosy do-gooders who insist on telling you how awful smoking is... as if you don't know already! :facepalm:

Andria

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it's not so much as motivation to keep vaping. If your goal is to just vape and smoke, then you are doing it right. if your goal is to use vaping as an alternative to smoking you will never get there. it's not the same and your mind will never make it so. bottom line if you want to be an ex smoker, or like me a smoker who hasn't had a cigarette in 5 years, then you need to work on quitting smoking. plain and simple. I also quit drinking so there is no excuse of "i only smoke when I drink." I don't like the smell, taste or anything that goes along with smoking. vaping is a whole other subject. If someone asks me if i smoke I say no. Not, "no, I vape." just "no." it's not my replacement for smoking, it's just something I do.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I see it as a alternative that does replace smoking. I use to care if there were smokers around me but that phase has long passed. I don't give no shits no more, I don't offer my vape to be a pusher but if someone is interested then I offer. I wanted to quit smoking for years but its a evil beast to overcome. Vaping gave us the replacement to drop smoking overnight, that first morning with no ciggy and just a few vapes I knew I was hooked. Never a dual user just got the tobacco out of the house, washed all the smell out of everything and started fresh. I have no intention to quit vaping but someday after lowering the nic down far enough it could happen but not picturing being vape free in my future.
Something else for motivation is my wife and I have had an exceptional vape experience compared to some from what I read in other social medias, no hassles, no leaking and no gear failures in 4+ years....so why quit. A lot of that does comes from taking the extra steps to rebuild coils, DIY juice and fully understand all aspects of my gear. I figured out within the first few weeks that vaping isn't plug and play by any means and becomes a rough road ahead if you think so. I don't offer my services anymore cause it became a "on their time" hassle that caused me more headaches enough that I felt being taken advantage of, so as long as our vapes are working top notch I really don't care about yours cause being lazy has its (expensive) drawbacks.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was a dual user for a while, mainly because I had to really convince my brain that this could really work -- so many other attempts failed miserably, so I wasn't getting my hopes up until I proved it to myself.

And I really don't understand how getting stressed about something makes a vaper want to smoke -- how is smoking going to help, exactly? All it does is give you another very expensive problem to deal with, plus having to quit again -- and subsequent attempts are NEVER as easy as the first, take that to the fucking BANK. When my mom died, I admit, I felt a very strong craving for a DRINK... despite my (at the time) 24 yrs of sobriety. So I went to a meeting. The thought of smoking never crossed my mind, because... why would it????? She was dead. Hastening my own demise, stinking again, wasting an obscene amount of money on POISON wouldn't change that at all.

Andria

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
it's not so much as motivation to keep vaping. If your goal is to just vape and smoke, then you are doing it right. if your goal is to use vaping as an alternative to smoking you will never get there. it's not the same and your mind will never make it so. bottom line if you want to be an ex smoker, or like me a smoker who hasn't had a cigarette in 5 years, then you need to work on quitting smoking. plain and simple. I also quit drinking so there is no excuse of "i only smoke when I drink." I don't like the smell, taste or anything that goes along with smoking. vaping is a whole other subject. If someone asks me if i smoke I say no. Not, "no, I vape." just "no." it's not my replacement for smoking, it's just something I do.
Wrong. I am an ex smoker, but without vaping as a replacement/alternative I would still be smoking, and I had no motivation whatsoever to quit smoking because my addiction to cigarettes was killing this motivation five times faster than I was able to even think about motivation, let alone find a way to stay motivated.

My goal was to find out if I could use vaping as an alternative to smoking, and the answer was an overwhelming immediate "yes". After that clear moment I only smoked one final last cigarette as I thought my mod was broken after 3 days so I couldn't vape, but I remedied the problem with the mod within an hour after that so from that moment on I am smoke free, and, the way I see vaping, real vaping IS motivation─whereas doing something people think looks like it COULD BE real vaping is "ersatz vaping", or demotivation (and can potentially also be used, or abused, by Big Tobacco to drive a number of people forever away from vaping altogether... I mean, BT adds chemicals to cigarettes to make cigarette smoking even more addicting so once bitten, twice shy, or where there's smoke, there is also fire).

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finding the right gear , do you know if your a MTL vaper
A DTL
or somewhere in-between
Crucial is finding juices you enjoy I smoked Tabacco so tried many Tabacco vapes hated them all , eventually found a fruity based vape with a bit of cool not mental then went from there ,
Dont like lemon /fruit way to sour for me
But love FruityLoops an lemon tart mix i make made it sweeter in my own mix

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Crucial is finding juices you enjoy I smoked Tabacco so tried many Tabacco vapes hated them all , eventually found a fruity based vape with a bit of cool not mental then went from there ,
Dont like lemon /fruit way to sour for me
But love FruityLoops an lemon tart mix i make made it sweeter in my own mix

I spent 2 years and insane amounts of money trying to find a tobacco vape I would like and in the end never really found one I would reorder. Non sweet tobacco vape was my mission to try to find in commercial juices but failed miserably order after order, I did try many other flavors to be again disappointed with a 10 dollar jug of shit time and time again. There are more flavors that I dislike more than I liked because commercial juices, the imitation in some flavors(ing) is just gross and chemical tasting along with someones interpenetration of a flavor was so way off base the juice had to be loaded with sweeteners to be palatable thus the problems that come with over sweet juices that make you unnecessarily drink gallons of water.
I will say the only tobacco juice that I didn't mind was Hangsens Highway but it was 70pg and sharp so being in Canada I had to pretty well order from the China to get Hangsens juices or pay a arm and a leg with vendors in Canada. Had enough of shit vendor juices so next step was going into DIY along with a bit of research then my first DIY concentrate order contained Hangsen Highway, No5 and Desert Ship, found exactly what I was after in taste, began kicking myself for not starting DIY sooner and now over 2 years later enjoying nothing short of vape nirvana. The perk with DIY is saving money but the best benefit at least in my situation was not having the cotton mouth 24/7 anymore, up every couple hours pissing all night long from the water drinking all day and finding a juice taste that I'll ADV day after day for well over 2 years now without the slightest sign of becoming sick of it.
One more thing that IMO was a MAJOR accomplishment for me was my wife's cotton candy vape, she only vapes the 1 flavor and nothing else since we began vaping all those years ago. She would vape 50mls a week so I ordered from the US at 25US for 2x50ml so 50US per month, having to keep track so she didn't run out and had steeped juice. First DIY mission was making her happy and took me a couple months but after I had a drunken stooper of accidentally putting desert ship into a cola atty, made the cola flavor pop then took that and developed a CC juice for my wife she loved for now just short of 5CAD bucks for 200mls per month not 50US per month and no customs hassles.

edit....got several beers in me so I get keyboard diarrhea then ramble away.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I spent 2 years and insane amounts of money trying to find a tobacco vape I would like and in the end never really found one I would reorder. Non sweet tobacco vape was my mission to try to find in commercial juices but failed miserably order after order, I did try many other flavors to be again disappointed with a 10 dollar jug of shit time and time again. There are more flavors that I dislike more than I liked because commercial juices, the imitation in some flavors(ing) is just gross and chemical tasting along with someones interpenetration of a flavor was so way off base the juice had to be loaded with sweeteners to be palatable thus the problems that come with over sweet juices that make you unnecessarily drink gallons of water.
I will say the only tobacco juice that I didn't mind was Hangsens Highway but it was 70pg and sharp so being in Canada I had to pretty well order from the China to get Hangsens juices or pay a arm and a leg with vendors in Canada. Had enough of shit vendor juices so next step was going into DIY along with a bit of research then my first DIY concentrate order contained Hangsen Highway, No5 and Desert Ship, found exactly what I was after in taste, began kicking myself for not starting DIY sooner and now over 2 years later enjoying nothing short of vape nirvana. The perk with DIY is saving money but the best benefit at least in my situation was not having the cotton mouth 24/7 anymore, up every couple hours pissing all night long from the water drinking all day and finding a juice taste that I'll ADV day after day for well over 2 years now without the slightest sign of becoming sick of it.
One more thing that IMO was a MAJOR accomplishment for me was my wife's cotton candy vape, she only vapes the 1 flavor and nothing else since we began vaping all those years ago. She would vape 50mls a week so I ordered from the US at 25US for 2x50ml so 50US per month, having to keep track so she didn't run out and had steeped juice. First DIY mission was making her happy and took me a couple months but after I had a drunken stooper of accidentally putting desert ship into a cola atty, made the cola flavor pop then took that and developed a CC juice for my wife she loved for now just short of 5CAD bucks for 200mls per month not 50US per month and no customs hassles.

edit....got several beers in me so I get keyboard diarrhea then ramble away.

That's really weird; I was told, of course, that I'd "never" find a tobacco vape that was like my cigarettes... and then I discovered, on my 2nd or third attempt, the Virginia at MyFreedomSmokes was so very very close to the taste of my Virginia Slims, sometimes when I'd hit it in the house I'd be all "OOPS!... oh wait, I can do THIS in here!" When I first tasted it, my very first thought was EUREKA! NOW I CAN QUIT SMOKING! because I was ALL about the taste, about fooling my brain.

Can't stand that flavor nor anything else that's even remotely like a cigarette NOW, but when I started, it worked GREAT.

Andria

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's really weird; I was told, of course, that I'd "never" find a tobacco vape that was like my cigarettes
I knew that I'd never find that taste like burning tobacco. Its the taste like dirt, mould or licking a ashtray flavors that dominate a lot of commercial tobac vapes that I despise. It was that I opened a fresh out of the mail jug, take a sniff and YUK it never made it into a atty....wasted money. Granted some were good but over sweet then got tired of it after half a jug so gezzz again wasted money. This was last fall I won a variety juice prize(no tobacs) in a FB contest, the juices were max VG so I assumed 80/20 3nic, they were thick to begin and smelled ok, super sweet back of the hand taste. Into a atty and after a few vapes I was parched an drinking water. Cut one down to 60/40 , boosted to 6nic and still couldn't vape it without being crazy thirsty then it lingered so bad after I had to toss a set of subtank orings. I've won several FB juice prizes and they all ended up with the same thirsty, sweet result even after I cut them down so ended up giving them away. I vape 5-6% DIY(even that's getting strong so cut down some sooner or later) so vaping a juice thats 10 plus percent I just can't do.The couple sweeter juices I make I vape to curve my sweet tooth for junk foods and its been working cause we have very little chocolate and other sweets in the house anymore.
I'm so glad I found my nitch early in my DIY, don't bother making and/or experimenting with many other flavors or combinations, keeping my mixes simple with only a couple, maybe a few concentrates cause from buying vendor juices I found so many flavors I disliked so I won't but that flavor concentrate.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I knew that I'd never find that taste like burning tobacco. Its the taste like dirt, mould or licking a ashtray flavors that dominate a lot of commercial tobac vapes that I despise. It was that I opened a fresh out of the mail jug, take a sniff and YUK it never made it into a atty....wasted money. Granted some were good but over sweet then got tired of it after half a jug so gezzz again wasted money. This was last fall I won a variety juice prize(no tobacs) in a FB contest, the juices were max VG so I assumed 80/20 3nic, they were thick to begin and smelled ok, super sweet back of the hand taste. Into a atty and after a few vapes I was parched an drinking water. Cut one down to 60/40 , boosted to 6nic and still couldn't vape it without being crazy thirsty then it lingered so bad after I had to toss a set of subtank orings. I've won several FB juice prizes and they all ended up with the same thirsty, sweet result even after I cut them down so ended up giving them away. I vape 5-6% DIY(even that's getting strong so cut down some sooner or later) so vaping a juice thats 10 plus percent I just can't do.The couple sweeter juices I make I vape to curve my sweet tooth for junk foods and its been working cause we have very little chocolate and other sweets in the house anymore.
I'm so glad I found my nitch early in my DIY, don't bother making and/or experimenting with many other flavors or combinations, keeping my mixes simple with only a couple, maybe a few concentrates cause from buying vendor juices I found so many flavors I disliked so I won't but that flavor concentrate.

I've never gone by the smell of an ejuice when it's in the bottle; when I first started, I really couldn't stand the smell of ejuice at all; it smelled really weird to me, probably the PG. Always vaped high-PG -- that MFS Virginia was 85/15 (the old notation, which has the benefit of being a) original and b) alphabetic). Tried 67/33, but 33% VG nearly sent me to the hospital with an asthma attack, so I went back to high-PG immediately, and never have been inclined to give VG another try; breathing is kinda mandatory. Now I vape 86/14, or 86.5/13.5, and my breathing is fine.

I don't switch my flavors around much either; mainly just vape my strawberry & cream 24/7... which is still 25% flavoring, down from its original 31%... but now and then I try a new mix, something different, just to see if there's another ADV out there for me anywhere. Haven't found it yet, but I keep an open mind. :)

Andria

VU Sponsors