Become a Patron!

How low can you safely drain a battery?

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So as the title says, how low can you really go? Is it 3.2v for ALL batteries or are they all different with how low you can go until you're over discharging them?

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
you will get better informed answers here moved :D

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
On regulated mods most will not let you over drain a battery. On the regulated mods those are around 3.4 to 3.5 volts when I charge them. On a mechanical when vapor and flavor production starts to go down is when I charge. On my mechs this typically 3.6 to 3.7 volts. 3.3 volts is the lowest I would go to not shorten it's lifetime, but it is rare for me to go that low.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On regulated mods most will not let you over drain a battery. On the regulated mods those are around 3.4 to 3.5 volts when I charge them. On a mechanical when vapor and flavor production starts to go down is when I charge. On my mechs this typically 3.6 to 3.7 volts. 3.3 volts is the lowest I would go to not shorten it's lifetime, but it is rare for me to go that low.

Cool thanks for the reply! I was looking into the rx200, and from what I've collected, it cuts off when all batteries are at 3.0v. If this is the case, am I just supposed to charge them before it gets close?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
From my experience you will notice vapor production decreases before you reach the lower limits of the batteries charge level.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With a low charge or voltage you cannot deliver the same wattage or volts like with a fresh charge. Ramp up time for one thing. And I am not running any crazy sub ohms or high wattage so if I notice the difference when my batteries get to around 25% left. Not some battery expert or junkie here just telling you what I notice from my 2 and 3 cell 150W and 200W MOD's.

Good Luck Vape On and Vape Safe!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cool thanks for the reply! I was looking into the rx200, and from what I've collected, it cuts off when all batteries are at 3.0v. If this is the case, am I just supposed to charge them before it gets close?
You don't need to, but discharging a liion batt to 3 volts and then recharging repeatedly will shorten the life by roughly 20%. Batteries are cheap.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a low charge or voltage you cannot deliver the same wattage or volts like with a fresh charge. Ramp up time for one thing. And I am not running any crazy sub ohms or high wattage so if I notice the difference when my batteries get to around 25% left. Not some battery expert or junkie here just telling you what I notice from my 2 and 3 cell 150W and 200W MOD's.

Good Luck Vape On and Vape Safe!

Alright! Thanks so much for your input! Much appreciated! :D I just wonder how I could get into the habit of charging my batteries at the right time if I go with the rx200, from what I have gathered, all batteries have a different rating on where the threshold is before over discharging them. Am I right on that? I think I saw that the Samsung 25R for example said it shouldn't be drained below 2.5v, is this a safe measurement?

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't need to, but discharging a liion batt to 3 volts and then recharging repeatedly will shorten the life by roughly 20%. Batteries are cheap.

So technically it's "safe" just not recommended for overall life?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I should be getting an RX200S very soon myself and I will be comparing to the DNA 200w and the Disguiser 150w so feel free to check with me in a week or so after I have time to run it through a few discharge cycles. My point was you will notice the difference if you are observant.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I should be getting an RX200S very soon myself and I will be comparing to the DNA 200w and the Disguiser 150w so feel free to check with me in a week or so after I have time to run it through a few discharge cycles. My point was you will notice the difference if you are observant.
Awesome thanks! I'll probably send you a message in a week or two and see what's up. Yea, this would be my first regulated mod, my current setup is a Tesla Two Sub Mod (unregulated) with a Uwell Crown. So you see where this is WORLDS different from what I currently have. All I've had to worry about with my setup is the coil resistance, the rest worries about itself lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My point was I doubt you need to worry about discharging your batteries that low because the quality of the vape will not be like a fresh set of batteries.

Now this is assuming you are using the correct genuine batteries with the proper rating and overhead for your device plus Tank/RDA/RTA.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@H4X0R46 because of this thread I just ran the batteries lower than ever before in a Disguiser just for shits and giggles. Although I never approached a lower voltage then was recommended (or safe) I started to notice the drop off I was talking about previously but I continued vaping. This caused me to actually have to raise the wattage a bit to get a good vape or cloud like I am used to When I had to raise the wattage by almost 20% it was time to swap out this couple of batteries and charge them.

Last edited:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@H4X0R46 because of this thread I just ran the batteries lower than ever before in a Disguiser just for shits and giggles. Although I never approached a lower voltage then was recommended (or safe) I started to notice the drop off I was talking about previously but I continued vaping. This caused me to actually have to raise the wattage a bit to get a good vape or cloud like I am used to When I have to raised the wattage by almost 20% it was time to swap out this couple of batteries and charge them.
I notice the same thing. On a couple of my mods it will show the battery dropping a good like 15-20% in life as I fire it, once that level is hitting "empty" the vape is noticeably diminished. I don't know if the RX200 does this same thing (Pico and Mini Volt are the two I'm thinking of) but I do know that when you're close to low it gives a diminished vape as well, I think all my mods are that way, just I only know those two you can see that real time battery life change.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So as the title says, how low can you really go? Is it 3.2v for ALL batteries or are they all different with how low you can go until you're over discharging them?

At 3.2 volts you start dipping into the red zone... I believe... most battery manufacturers would say your safe down to 2.5 or so. Most regulated mods shut down between 3.2 and 3.5 volts. Most gurus say you get the best performance overall from batteries when you recharge at between 3.5 and 3.7 volts.
Me I get just under 24 hours between batteries. I pull my batteries when they are between 3.5 and 3.7 volts. I start wanting to change them at around 3.7-3.8 volts. I vape mechanical.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I never run my batteries that low because like I was relating in the above posts I notice a performance difference before I ever get anywhere near that low of a voltage.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never run my batteries that low because like I was relating in the above posts I notice a performance difference before I ever get anywhere near that low of a voltage.
I just wonder how accurate the spec sheet is when they say 2.5v cut off. I mean, this is just worst case scenario talk, I'd probably just never let my batteries get to say.... 3.4 or 3.5 ish. I just wonder how accurate it is. All in all, I'm sure you notice the weak batteries long before you get too low with em like mentioned in earlier posts here. I believe the rx200 cuts off at 9v (3.0v per battery) I wonder how safe that cut off really is, like I said, worst case scenario where I probably wouldn't even get that low or have to worry about it. I could see just charging them when they start performing poorly.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@H4X0R46 in my opinion you are worrying about something that you will never even have a chance of happening. Why don't you get a regulated MOD and then check into how accurately and how protected it actually is. Because without actually checking how a particular device will handle the scenario you imagine is just hypothesis and conjecture. When you decide on a model of MOD to buy then research what, where, why, how and what ifs........

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@H4X0R46 in my opinion you are worrying about something that you will never even have a chance of happening. Why don't you get a regulated MOD and then check into how accurately and how protected it actually is. Because without actually checking how a particular device will handle the scenario you imagine is just hypothesis and conjecture. When you decide on a model of MOD to buy then research what, where, why, how and what ifs........
Yea I figured that. Truthfully, I've always been the over cautious type with everything. I always like to KNOW where boundaries are, no matter how far fetched they are lol I'm a worry wart in truth. Not one of my best traits. You're right though, thanks for all the help you guys have given! I'm going to get my mod and see it first hand. Thanks all!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Remember before you buy do the research into the concerns you have. That way you make an educated purchase.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Remember before you buy do the research into the concerns you have. That way you make an educated purchase.
I've been looking into it, that's the reason for my over cautious questions lol so far it looks like a good solid mod, I'm just new to batteries, my current mod has internal cells, pretty straight forward.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The RX200 will shut down at 9V, but that's under load. I got my first one late last year and checked out battery voltage when it does that. Can't remember exactly what it was when I took them out, but I do remember thinking I didn't have to worry about it so it was probably around 3.4 min or a bit higher. I'll let them run down all the way next time and post the results.

They also run down very evenly between cells, even with non-matched batts. I do run them at around 40 watts, so about 13 watts per cell or 5A draw and that is pretty easy on them. Might be a bit different at 200 watts.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Out of all my MOD's only once did one not fire because I ran it down to low and that was the iStick TC40w. I plugged it in to the USB and away I went charging and vaping.

Last edited:

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My single evic mini looses steam at ~ 3.5, and shortly after it gives up, and I have to swap. My 2 cell IPV 4s will vape hard till both are at ~ 3.0!

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The RX200 will shut down at 9V, but that's under load. I got my first one late last year and checked out battery voltage when it does that. Can't remember exactly what it was when I took them out, but I do remember thinking I didn't have to worry about it so it was probably around 3.4 min or a bit higher. I'll let them run down all the way next time and post the results.

They also run down very evenly between cells, even with non-matched batts. I do run them at around 40 watts, so about 13 watts per cell or 5A draw and that is pretty easy on them. Might be a bit different at 200 watts.
That would be great! Let us know here your findings!

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That would be great! Let us know here your findings!

So I let one set of batts go all the way til the RX200 stopped last night and got the following:

3.30, 3.43, 3.45.

Since then I also swapped out batts (different ones) when my second RX200 was showing about 25% left and got:

3.54, 3.62, 3.64.

Hope that helps :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I ran my Disguiser so low last night I was amazed just how long it lasts but swapped out the batteries when I needed to up the wattage to get my normal vape. Just not worth playing games.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I let one set of batts go all the way til the RX200 stopped last night and got the following:

3.30, 3.43, 3.45.

Since then I also swapped out batts (different ones) when my second RX200 was showing about 25% left and got:

3.54, 3.62, 3.64.

Hope that helps :)
Wow! So it didn't let you go past like, 3.3v! That's good to know, thanks for the test. I will probably get me the RX200. What batteries do you use in your RX200? I was thinking of getting the LG HG2 or the Samsung 25R.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow! So it didn't let you go past like, 3.3v! That's good to know, thanks for the test. I will probably get me the RX200. What batteries do you use in your RX200? I was thinking of getting the LG HG2 or the Samsung 25R.

You're welcome. It had been a while so was good to do it again to make sure all was well anyway :)

I bought 6 batteries last year, all 25R. Kinda standardized on them for now for all my mods. I also still have a couple of older 25R, and a couple of older VTC5 that are still in service. The first set of numbers was with 2 25R's and a VTC5. The second with all new 25R's. None of them have been married but all have been rotated evenly since bought. All my mech mods use single batts.

VU Sponsors