Become a Patron!

How to Pick A Right Vape for the First Time?

Uwell-tech

Unlisted Vendor

What Vape Should I Use to Quit Smoking?

There is no single e-cigarette that can suit all of the needs of all smokers. However, there are 3 easy questions that can help you make your final decision:

#1 Discover What is Your Driving Force?

If you don't want to go into every part of e-cigarettes but want to give yourself a chance to get off the seat, you don't need to purchase a complex vape device.

Even a pod-mod-type e-cigarette with a disposable cartridge system and a simple to use kit that requires only a few adjustments can be highly effective.

#2 How Often Do I Need to Use It?

It is always a good idea to bet on a vape device that will satisfy all of your needs if you want to get the best start in the world of vaping. It is also important not to overlook autonomy and to select a kit with a built-in long-lasting battery.

#3 What sensation are you looking for? (MTL or DTL)

Do you want to recreate a sensation comparable to that of a cigarette? Or do you want to inhale a lot of vapor? The followings are two kinds of vaping methods.

- Mouth to lung (MTL) = tighter airflow, similar to a cigarette. MTL vape devices are less potent, more economical, inhale little to no vapor, and allow for the use of e-liquids with higher nicotine content.

- Direct to Lung (DTL) =more vapor. "DTL" kits are more powerful but also have more energy and produce more vapor each inhalation, making them more acceptable for use with liquids containing lower nicotine levels.

Which E-cig to Buy when You Are a Heavy Vaper?

Do you currently smoke more than 20 cigarettes a day? You are then considered a “heavy smoker”. Contrary to what you may think, there is no point looking for a large and powerful piece of equipment to meet your great needs.
To pick the best electronic cigarette for heavy smokers, look for:
- Autonomy: a long-lasting battery that can last an entire day will allow you to have equipment that is always ready to satisfy your every requirement.
Then you have the option of an integrated battery with a huge capacity in mAh (milliampere-hour) or equipment with a battery (s) that will never fail but requires a lot of precautions.
- Tank capacity: if you don't want to carry a bottle of e-liquid with you every time you go out, tank capacity is just as vital as battery autonomy. With a capacity of 4ml, you may be rather quiet.
- PG/VG ratio: In order to get the same tight smoking experience as traditional cigarettes, you need to choose a device that is compatible with e-liquids with high propylene glycol (PG) content.
- Nicotine level compatibility: If you are a heavy smoker, you may have a strong need for nicotine. In this case, we recommend using a low-powered e-cigarette that is compatible with e-liquids containing high levels of nicotine.
Nicotine Salts: Which Vaping Device is Suitable?
If you are a heavy smoker, you may want to try using an e-cigarette device that contains nicotine salts.
In this case, you need to know that not all e-cigarettes allow you to vape nicotine salts. For optimal use, we recommend that you choose a low-powered e-cigarette. We recommend a compact one with a tight MTL airflow (low vapor production).

How Can I Get a Lot of Vapor?

This is a very common question. If you want to make a lot of vapor with your e-cigarette, you need to vape via direct inhalation and you need a proper device.
Any "sub-ohm" device with a very strong resistance of 1 ohm or less will satisfy this desire. Similarly, vaping with a reconfigurable atomizer is a good way to produce large amounts of vapor, but only for experienced smokers.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

If you don't want to go into every part of e-cigarettes but want to give yourself a chance to get off the seat, you don't need to purchase a complex vape device.

Even a pod-mod-type e-cigarette with a disposable cartridge system and a simple to use kit that requires only a few adjustments can be highly effective.

Not sure I would consider this a driving force. Might consider it depth of motive concerning buying a first vaping kit. It is quite true a person doesn't need anything complex. Then, what constitutes simplicity & complexity is very subjective. For example to me a mechanical mod is simple. For someone starting out it it may not be.

It is always a good idea to bet on a vape device that will satisfy all of your needs if you want to get the best start in the world of vaping. It is also important not to overlook autonomy and to select a kit with a built-in long-lasting battery.

The blurb below the question doesn't answer the question posed. It simply states a person ought to look for an autonomous kit. Really, any basic vaping kit could be seen as that. Vaping as a whole is subjective as are what each person defines as what. That still doesn't answer the question. The best answer might be an open ended, that depends on each person's use of nicotine or non-use of it.

Do you want to recreate a sensation comparable to that of a cigarette? Or do you want to inhale a lot of vapor? The followings are two kinds of vaping methods.

- Mouth to lung (MTL) = tighter airflow, similar to a cigarette. MTL vape devices are less potent, more economical, inhale little to no vapor, and allow for the use of e-liquids with higher nicotine content.

- Direct to Lung (DTL) =more vapor. "DTL" kits are more powerful but also have more energy and produce more vapor each inhalation, making them more acceptable for use with liquids containing lower nicotine levels.

This is also rather subjective too. I use 18mg/ml and sub ohm vape on mechanical mods. Most often that translates into my coil running about 0.30 to 0.35 ohms and at around 24 watts average. I don't consider that a lot of power. I use direct lung to restricted direct lung style of vaping. Can use ML as well but prefer the DL.
- PG/VG ratio: In order to get the same tight smoking experience as traditional cigarettes, you need to choose a device that is compatible with e-liquids with high propylene glycol (PG) content.

Not necessarily. This depends as well upon airflow control of the atomizer, wicking, coil placement. It might also depend upon drip tip. It doesn't always or absolutely rely upon the PG/VG ratio.

---

I'm surprised an industry leader such as Uwell allowed this tripe to be written and used on their site. Whoever wrote it up obviously has no real clue about vaping, or seems not to have.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

What Vape Should I Use to Quit Smoking?

There is no single e-cigarette that can suit all of the needs of all smokers. However, there are 3 easy questions that can help you make your final decision:

Which E-cig to Buy when You Are a Heavy Vaper?

Do you currently smoke more than 20 cigarettes a day? You are then considered a “heavy smoker”. Contrary to what you may think, there is no point looking for a large and powerful piece of equipment to meet your great needs.
To pick the best electronic cigarette for heavy smokers, look for:
- Autonomy: a long-lasting battery that can last an entire day will allow you to have equipment that is always ready to satisfy your every requirement.
Then you have the option of an integrated battery with a huge capacity in mAh (milliampere-hour) or equipment with a battery (s) that will never fail but requires a lot of precautions.
- Tank capacity: if you don't want to carry a bottle of e-liquid with you every time you go out, tank capacity is just as vital as battery autonomy. With a capacity of 4ml, you may be rather quiet.
- Nicotine level compatibility: If you are a heavy smoker, you may have a strong need for nicotine. In this case, we recommend using a low-powered e-cigarette that is compatible with e-liquids containing high levels of nicotine.
Nicotine Salts: Which Vaping Device is Suitable?
If you are a heavy smoker, you may want to try using an e-cigarette device that contains nicotine salts.
In this case, you need to know that not all e-cigarettes allow you to vape nicotine salts. For optimal use, we recommend that you choose a low-powered e-cigarette. We recommend a compact one with a tight MTL airflow (low vapor production).

How Can I Get a Lot of Vapor?

This is a very common question. If you want to make a lot of vapor with your e-cigarette, you need to vape via direct inhalation and you need a proper device.
Any "sub-ohm" device with a very strong resistance of 1 ohm or less will satisfy this desire. Similarly, vaping with a reconfigurable atomizer is a good way to produce large amounts of vapor, but only for experienced smokers.
as mentioned in the excellent response from Aldo. sub ohm is the best starter, there are a lot of choices i now like most in here,have many mods, but my all time favourite which i still use today is the vaporesso swag2. it gives you everything you want both now and later, and has the added bonus of removable batteries. remember that if you buy a mod with built in batteries that if the battery dies, then the mod is a throw away. with the swag you will get a mod that you have many coils you can use, ability to get a high wattage, small and easy to handle,you can change coils.tanks,tips all the things you will come accross on your journey. the swag has stood the test of time and it really can take a bashing.
you have made a great choice cancer sticks at $35/day to vape juice at $4/day, you wont smell like an ash tray and no risk of falling asleep in bed and burning your house down. i am here with all the other members to give you our advice when ever you want it.
welcome and enjoy.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My juice costs run me about ~$0.40 per day. I use roughly 6 ml of juice per day. Of course, I also use DIY juice that I keep mostly unflavored. If I am / was / would be spending over $1.00 USD per day on juice, not sure I'd keep at it. I likely would yet be looking to lower costs. Kind of dreading the upcoming taxation of nicotine.

Last edited:
Going to weigh in.

For your absolute first time you might want to get a 'disposable' (they aren't truly disposable if you know how to recharge a lithium ion battery and drill a hole) vape and see if that works. They usually come with a high nicotine dose so if you're switching from cigarettes this is the cheapest way of knowing if it'll work.

Next up you could buy a tank atomizer where you replace the coil every so often. However this can get expensive as a vape coil for these is made from machined steel that has been turned on a lathe, drilled/milled and then had the cotton and coil added. The cotton will 'break' long before the machines metal does. If vape shops offered a buyback system these may be worth the money but instead you're told to toss the used coil in the trash and waste most of its value.

If you know how to use side cutters (wire clippers) and a screwdriver getting a vape mod and a RTA is probably your best bet. You can always get a prebuilt atomizer and an RTA or RDA at the same time and decide on whether the extra time is worth the (very large) monetary saving.

If you go with a rebuildable get some pre-wpind coils. They don't cost much online and the metal coils will last a week or two per coil. After that you will need to learn to wick with cotton. This isn't particularly difficult and if you're struggling try making wick rolls with cotton buds before using muji pads or cotton bacon to get an idea of what you need to do. Redoing two wicks takes me 15 minutes. If I need to add coils it's a 30 minute job. That's a fair bit longer than putting a new prebuilt coil in but you save about $10 a week.

You can make your own coils from wire however this takes more time and skill than a beginner will have. Instead cutting wire to the correct length is the easiest way to go about it. There are a few more things you need to do to perfect things but these are all in YouTube videos. It isn't hard but has a learning curve. Naturally you'll want a mod that offers wattage control and has safety features inbuilt to prevent short circuits, has an I built ohm meter and unlike a mechanical mod (one without any electronics, instead just consisting of a switch and maybe a fuse) causing a serious malfunction is hard to do.

If it is the first time using electronic cigarettes, I suggest starting with disposable electronic cigarettes, you can get a better experience, and then use other types of electronic cigarette products after getting used to it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You can make your own coils from wire however this takes more time and skill than a beginner will have.

There's quite ample to abundant material on Youtube what can teach someone getting into vaping how to build basic coils. I've vaped over five to eight years now, only use very basic coils and very effectively to boot. All the fancy coils often discussed, photographed are merely aesthetic vanities. One does not require a triple flush super wonder wire coil to vape well.

Naturally you'll want a mod that offers wattage control and has safety features inbuilt to prevent short circuits, has an I built ohm meter and unlike a mechanical mod (one without any electronics, instead just consisting of a switch and maybe a fuse) causing a serious malfunction is hard to do.

Alright, unpacking this verbosity salad here. Seems you're suggesting mechanical mods can cause, or are more prone to malfunctions over regulated mods. That cannot be based on anything factually true. Anecdotally, I can suggest the inverse is true, regulated mods malfunction more readily.

I've experienced a few regulated mods turn into worthless bricks. Do not have a degree in electronics nor feel keen to attain that. Ergo, I use mechanical mods, or mosfet switched mods almost ( I do have some regulated I use in a pinch) exclusively. Switched mods offer you a bit of seeming safety in that a fuse protects against shorts, reverse battery polarity, over use / abuse.

Do not exactly like switched mods either. Would need to replace a fuse if it goes out. There's usually company videos or Youtube ones demonstrating that. Still prefer to not bother with it. Too much time / hassle investment is entailed for my liking.

Then, again mechanical mods are not for everyone. You need to be aware you will be required to learn a little, accept responsibility, be accountable. Using mechanical mods also strings along consequences. If this adventure doesn't speak to you, use regulated mods, please. We'll all be happy, sane, safe hopefully. :)

Not shilling here nor am I in any way affiliated. Merely offering a suggestion. First timers might consider using Njoy e-cigs to start. These are as they say hassle free and a decent product for low end budget. I started off on Njoy e-cigs, moved to an eGo style vape pen with an RM2 / ARO atomizer. From there a friend brought me over to the Dark Side (tm) of mechanical mods, squonking, rebuilding, juice mixing. We got some really groovy cookies here in the Dark Side, if you see them grab me one.;) :) :D

@John-W , my response was not to refute out of umbrage. Did not feel any. I was merely desiring to present a balanced conversation on the issue. Thank you.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors