Become a Patron!

How & who to ship with for hardware?

SpaceOctopus

The Octopus of Space
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I'm not planning on this being something I do often, but sometimes I have used hardware I'd really like to sell or trade & I could not seem to find any information about these things here, & elsewhere I only came up with information about shop's shipping prices & stuff (useless to me).
  • Who is the most recommended to ship with? (UPS, USPS, Fedex etc)
  • What's the best method to ship small items together?
  • Are there restrictions & if there are, how can I get around them or work within them for certain items?
  • Is there anything else I need to be aware of/to know?
  • I know to use Paypal, but which specific thing am I supposed to use to have someone pay me? I just want to make sure I do this right

For example, right now I have taken pictures of & am preparing to sell two barely used kangertech tanks (complete with original boxes & one missing only a drip tip), one with some premium e-liquid still in it (a full tank), and some coils along with them. If someone decides they want it, what is my next step? Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want both the buyer & me to be happy with it. :)
This package will be less than 13oz, so I was thinking I should use USPS first class, but not if there's no tracking available. Anyone used this method before, and does it work well?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Look here to see how others do it. Most use USPS

Hardware

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Typically, people ship USPS.

If someone wants one of your items, etc... they'll need your paypal email address in order to add funds to your account. Trade that info in Conversations area (private message)

If shipping juice, make sure it's sealed well, put it in a baggie, at least, in case there's any leaks. You can wrap the cap in painter's tape even. It's easy to remove, leaves no residue.

You can pick up envelopes or boxes at the post office. The different size boxes tell you how much it would cost to ship. If it fits in the box, it ships at that price, no matter how little, or how much, it weighs.

If you have a self serve kiosk available in the lobby of your post office, that's super easy to deal with.

TheRatsWon

Member For 4 Years
USPS Priority mail - $6.80 with insurance and a tracking number, even free boxes at the post office.
PayPal Goods and Services option - has purchase protection. Seller pays the fee, about 3~4%.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Also, I moved this to Vaping Related area. When you're ready to post your trades/sales and pics, you'll want to start a new thread in the hardware section.

Also wanted to say, most people will prefer tracking info.

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not planning on this being something I do often, but sometimes I have used hardware I'd really like to sell or trade & I could not seem to find any information about these things here, & elsewhere I only came up with information about shop's shipping prices & stuff (useless to me).
  • Who is the most recommended to ship with? (UPS, USPS, Fedex etc)
  • What's the best method to ship small items together?
  • Are there restrictions & if there are, how can I get around them or work within them for certain items?
  • Is there anything else I need to be aware of/to know?
  • I know to use Paypal, but which specific thing am I supposed to use to have someone pay me? I just want to make sure I do this right

For example, right now I have taken pictures of & am preparing to sell two barely used kangertech tanks (complete with original boxes & one missing only a drip tip), one with some premium e-liquid still in it (a full tank), and some coils along with them. If someone decides they want it, what is my next step? Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want both the buyer & me to be happy with it. :)
This package will be less than 13oz, so I was thinking I should use USPS first class, but not if there's no tracking available. Anyone used this method before, and does it work well?
As has been said already, USPS is the go-to shipping method because of cost and convenience. First Class will suffice for most transactions unless a tracking number is required by the buyer. Personally I have zero use for tracking a domestic parcel that will arrive in three days give or take, and prefer to save the money. Priority might get to the buyer a day sooner- or might not. But Priority is more convenient and having tracking is a comfort to some buyers.

Some numbers:
  • 4 ounce box or irregular thickness padded envelope via First Class ships for $2.64.
  • 8 ounces ships for $3.40 (half the cost of a Small Flat Rate Box).
  • 13 ounces ships First Class for $4.35.
  • Anything over 13 ounces will be Priority- there is no First Class option available.
  • 14 ounces and up is $6.80 for Priority Small Flat Rate Box 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8".
  • 14 ounces is $6.85 shipped Priority in your own box (in cases where a Small Flat Rate Box will not hold what you want to ship).

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A rule that went into effect on April 1 of this year: lithium-ion batteries can only be charged to 30% of capacity. USPS says that Air shipments, including Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express, can include a maximum of 2 batteries or 8 cells when they contain standalone lithium ion cells or batteries, or lithium cells or batteries packed with or contained in equipment.

For UPS, see https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/batteries.html
For USPS see http://blog.stamps.com/2015/02/26/new-usps-mailing-standards-for-lithium-batteries/

SpaceOctopus

The Octopus of Space
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Thank you all so much for all the responses & suggestions! I really really appreciate it! You've helped me so much. I was very confused as to what I was going to have to do. Now I am pretty confident about it. As for the tank filled with liquid, I'd hoped to send it in it's original box, but if leakage is a concern, should I maybe just find a way to empty it into something else for myself? I originally didn't want to do this because so much will end up wasted, and it's pretty good stuff. Can't remember precisely what flavor it is, but I rarely buy any e-liquids that aren't the premium stuff such as Suicide Bunny & the like.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thank you all so much for all the responses & suggestions! I really really appreciate it! You've helped me so much. I was very confused as to what I was going to have to do. Now I am pretty confident about it. As for the tank filled with liquid, I'd hoped to send it in it's original box, but if leakage is a concern, should I maybe just find a way to empty it into something else for myself? I originally didn't want to do this because so much will end up wasted, and it's pretty good stuff. Can't remember precisely what flavor it is, but I rarely buy any e-liquids that aren't the premium stuff like Suicide Bunny & the like.

The tank simply must be emptied. I didn't realize you were considering putting a tank in the mail full of juice.

Begging you to empty it and clean it before sending to anyone!!!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, I hear that. I've received some pretty sticky messes of tanks in the mail. I end up cleaning them no matter what, but the sticky mess, no one wants to deal with.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I hear that. I've received some pretty sticky messes of tanks in the mail. I end up cleaning them no matter what, but the sticky mess, no one wants to deal with.

My opinion of the sellers plummets when juice is on hardware for any reason.

I think LAZY

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My opinion of the sellers plummets when juice is on hardware for any reason.

I think LAZY
It's kept me from repeat buys, honestly. Yeah, I know I can wash it and everything, but it's such a headache to deal with sometimes, especially when they haven't used it in a while. Some stuff doesn't wash out of tanks very easily.

VU Sponsors