Become a Patron!

Hugo Vapor URUS: Lightweight nylon mod with 21700 support

CapVanillaCustard

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
dalTKuo.jpg

Hugo Vapor URUS - Photo Album

I was in two minds when Heaven Gifts asked if I wanted to review this mod. On one hand I've always wanted to try an nylon/plastic mod since I first saw a Boxer/Rebel. I was also very curious about the battery life of a single 21700 mod. On the other hand Hugo Vapor's Boxer mod had a lot of issues with shorts and hot buttons, and my charger can't charge 21700 so I would have to charge it via the USB port. I'm always a little extra paranoid when it comes to safety.

Curiosity got the best of me. Besides HV released a V2 of the Boxer and a mechanical squonker since then and there's no complaints about them. Thinking back I'm really glad that I agreed because I fucking love this mod. Thanks to it's weight, battery life and power delivery, the URUS has replaced the HCigar VT75D as my on the go mod.

So, 3 reasons I'm extremely impressed with this mod:

1. Lightweight

The URUS is a pretty standard looking mod. It's not as small as you'd expect a single battery mod to be, but it's still noticeably smaller than my other mods.

6k6IT19h.jpg

This thing is light!!! It weighs only 74 grams! It's such a joy to handle coming from zinc metal alloy mods! It's noticeably lighter even my lightest mod, the Vaporesso Revenger. I can wave it around any way I want, it doesn't have a mind of it's own and doesn't constantly want to slip out of my grip. I can even use it with just two fingers! It doesn't weigh down my pockets and I can carry it along with my wallet in one hand without worrying about dropping it.

I've weighed some of my other mods and compared them with the URUS:

vyQsQlMh.jpg

The weight of this reminds me of my SBody Macro 75 but this one feels lighter as it's a little bigger. Because the mod is so light it's always a little top heavy with any atty attached. This little taste of the plastic life makes me want to sell my ZMA mods and get a Boxer/Rebel.

2. Power delivery

This mod has 5 modes. Power, Temp Control (Ni, Ti & SS316L), Bypass, Custom curve and pre-heat. Temp control is too erratic, almost downright random to be usable. I never use Bypass. Custom curve works but it's too glitchy to setup. Pre-heat works very well.

lfGXlXn.jpg

Thankfully good old Power mode is pretty freakin great! It fires right away, neither faster nor slower than the DNAs, but probably not as fast as the Funky 160. From the numbers displayed it seems like it starts firing at the correct voltage for the wattage and resistance, and after a second the voltage bumps up and fires a little harder. Not sure if it's compensating for the resistance change in SS wire or if it's trying to be a "hard hitting mod". Feels like it fires 3-5 watts harder than the DNAs around 40-60 watts range.

The power delivery is smooth and feels identical to the Gene chip, and almost as good as the DNA. This is something I have a hard time explaining. I feel that some mods, like the iJoy Captain 1865 most recently, fires in a PWM fashion where it feels like it's pulsing between higher watts and lower watts real fast. The result is an experience where the set wattage and the vapor temperature feels correct but the vapor production is lower than usual and there's a slight, but definitely noticeable burnt taste in the vapor. I vape a lot of creams and custards and I've been vaping my ADV flavors for years so it's more noticeable for me.

So if you like the power delivery of the Gene chip, like I do, you're gonna like this one. Power delivery is the most important factor for me. A mod can be light as a feather and last for months but if I'm not satisfied with the vape I won't use it for long. I almost exclusively vape TC and having great TC is a big deal for me. With that said I find it very easy to give this mod a pass for doing a shit job of it because everything else is so great. Besides I'm usually using RTAs/RDTAs on this mod so TC is not as important.

2. Battery life with a Golisi S35 21700

In the past I tried using several single 18650 mods when I'm out and about. Size and weight were perfect but I was always disappointed with the battery life. At 45-50 watts I'd only get ~100 puffs out of my SBody Macro DNA75 before it would experience massive battery sag and would refuse to fire.

bWoVT4W.jpg

Not the Golisi S35 21700! This is the battery with the best specs that also come with Mooch's recommendation. 30 amps and 3700mah!

I hit close to 300 puffs at 40 watts and still have ~15% left according to the mod. That's enough to be out most of the day and come back home with still plenty of juice left in the battery. No longer do I have to carry spare 18650s or use heavier and bigger dual 18650 mods and it feels fucking great!

I wanted to get a better sense of how the battery life here compares to other dual 18650 mods. tried the same atty with the same build on two other mods go get a sense of the vape time. My puffs are 2 seconds on average. Same pair of 6 months old HG2 were used in the other mods. I stopped with 15% remaining on each mod. Not sure how these numbers would scale with power.

RGoQewO.jpg

So with a single 21700 the URUS gets 67% of the Therion 166's vape time, and 79% of the VT75D's vape time. That's pretty amazing to me! Before receiving this mod I thought I'd use it at low wattages for MTL with nic salt, but now I see I can hit it at my usual wattages just fine!

On a side note I'm pretty disappointed that the new Pulse BF with the Gene chip won't take 21700. The current 20700 batteries don't come close to this on paper :/

What I don't like about the mod

QC Issues

While this mod is built well and has a really polished exterior, it also has a few annoying QC issues.

The screen is mounted at a slight tilt. Not immediately noticeable but it's there. A little bit of the gold plating is missing/scratched up on the bottom battery connector. The top one is fine.

The frame is not sealed with the chip casing on the right side of the mod. So you can see a faint glow of the screen from the side. It's also not very noticeable and can only be seen from certain angles. I tried taking the photo from the worst angle and HDR exaggerates it a little bit.

u5esDh0.jpg

I hope these issues are not widespread and they are the only ones that this mod has. It's really sad to see an otherwise solid mod have such amateur flaws.

Battery Contacts

Sadly this mod has those terrible battery contacts that has one sharp edge that sticks out. It's really easy to tear the battery wrap with these contacts. They're not as sharp as the ones on the Funky, but they're still bad. I really wish they had used something else. Most people here wouldn't trust Hugo Vapor with USB charging, and they'd probably have multiple 21700 to switch between.

CvnaDLg.jpg

When I start charging the battery externally I'm going to have to be really careful as my usual shops don't have 21700 wraps yet.

CapVanillaCustard

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Additional details:
  • It's comfortable to both thumb fire and trigger fire.

• I have the black version and it's completely black, apart from the 510 which you never see. I love the stealthy look, never had a mod that was completely one color and texture. I really have spent quite a bit of time staring at and admiring it's looks.

• The mod feels solid. There's no flex when you're pressing down on the panels on the side. There's no give when you're squeezing the mod.

• The material definitely looks and feels like plastic. It feels like the hard plastic on office chairs and not rubbery smooth to the touch like the Wye.

• The material also feels decently scratch proof but as a result might be more on the brittle side. I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks/cracks if dropped from the chest height on to concrete.

• Each side panel is held together by 5 magnets! There's a satisfying sound when you take them off or put them on. They hold on to the body tight. There's no play when you're handling the mod, but there's a slight play if you start rubbing the panels. The panels are really easy to pry off from the back, even though the back looks pretty seamless.

• One of the panels has a huge cutout saying URUS. I presume it also functions as a vent for the battery but it's so big that lint, dirt and other foreign objects can easily fall into the battery compartment. I taped a piece of black Bristol board on the back of this panel and pierced a couple of holes on it for ventilation. You can use a different color to jazz it up.

• There's no ribbon to pull out the battery. You open both panels and push it out from the other side.

• Same OLED screen as the Alpha 1 that I love. Great contrast and blacks.

• Buttons take just the perfect amount of force to actuate. Somewhere between a Therion and an Alpha 1's fire button. They are all very satisfyingly clicky.

• Has a great spring loaded 510 pin. The spring is not too strong and the pin can recede quite a bit.

• 1A USB charging has been working well so far. Battery stays cool and the mod gets just slightly warm. I have a Liitokala LI-500 charger on the way and I won't be charging via USB soon.

• It should take 25mm attys comfortably. Any bigger and you might get an overhang, especially since the edges are beveled. Here's what it looks like with a 24mm atty

• Comes with an 18650 adapter if you don't have a 21700.

• Oddly the battery percentage goes up or down in increments of 5.
Conclusion and ~TLDR

Well this mod hits almost all of my checkmarks for an on the go mod. It has a couple of minor flaws that are easily overshadowed by it's light weight, the excellent power delivery and the battery life with a 21700. I really do love it for the role it plays in my collection.

I would not recommend this as someone's only mod. It just came out and Hugo Vapor has had some problems with their mods in the past. Wait for more people to get their hands on one.

But everyone else, especially those with the cash to burn and an itch for 21700 should give this a shot. $26 is a really good price for it. Put your favorite atty on, fire it in power mode and enjoy all the good things it brings to the table. It is far, far better than what I had expected, so much so that I'm fine with it having a shitty TC. I can see myself buying one if I lose/break this one.

I'm sold on abs/nylon/plastic mods. I'm sold on 21700. This changes the list of mods I was planning to get in the near future.

You can pick it up at Heaven Gifts for $25.83 with code AHG30. It comes in black, purple, red and yellow. You can also get the Golisi S35 for $8.12 with the same code. It's the best price I've seen for both the battery and the mod. Thank you Heaven Gifts, I probably would not have tried this on my own!

I'll post updates to this review periodically to note how this mod holds up.

Fs8aX0C.jpg

CapVanillaCustard

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fantastic Review! I’m seriously considering this now! Thank you!

Good read, thanks for the write up.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! Yeah this turned out to be much better than what I had expected. It's my go to mod when I'm out of the house. The weight makes it really easy to carry in the pocket. I still get it to last all day.

My Lii-500 charger hasn't shipped yet. I should probably order a spare 21700.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! Yeah this turned out to be much better than what I had expected. It's my go to mod when I'm out of the house. The weight makes it really easy to carry in the pocket. I still get it to last all day.

My Lii-500 charger hasn't shipped yet. I should probably order a spare 21700.
:cheers:

VU Sponsors