Become a Patron!

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys,
I am starting to look into getting a new mod to replace my sx mini. It still works, but after almost 2 years, the fore button is acting up a few times a day, and I get that "battery too hot" message even when the mod has been sitting on my table unused for a few hours. (The batteries are brand new VTC4's. So they are fine).

Anyway, I want to get back to using DNA boards, and I have been trying to decide between the VS flask133, VS166, or the Lost Vape Therion133. I don't need that much power, and I don't really want to have to tinker too much with internal settings on my mod. So I'm looking for something that will work great out f the box. The problem is that my wife and I use Mac's exclusively. So we don't have access to a PC to even install escribe. Will this be a problem if I end up with a DNA200/250 board?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As far as I know you'll need to run a Windows emulator and install a trial version of windows.
I don't have a Mac but this is what I've seen posted on the forum when others asked. Hopefully others with Mac's will offer better information than I can.

If the device you buy is already programed and you like them your gold, but I have 3 (6 total) different DNA mods and didn't like the programs for TC on any of them.

It's a shame about your SXmini I love mine as much as my DNA mod's for TC.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I mostly vape in wattage mode anyway, so the TC settings aren't as important. Sometimes I use my Crown coils in TC. But I wasn't sure if, even in wattage mode, you needed to do any adjustments in EScribe. I know most of these mods are made for people who use Ti, SS, or Ni200. I like to use higher end mods because of their quality construction.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hook mine up when I first get the mod, change it to how I like it, then after that I would only have to hook up to Escribe to Update the mod if/when one comes out or to play around in the device monitor. it's good to check out how new builds are reacting to TC. For Power mode, you really don't need to change anything that can't already be changed on the mod (watts).

As to the mods you are looking at. I have the VS VF133 and I think it's really nice but has one drawback. It's 22mm deep so any atty over 22mm will overhang. I also have a couple of Therion 166's. They are my favorite and most used DNA mods atm (I have a few different DNA mods to choose from).

If you have a friend with Windows or go the Windows Emulator route. I've uploaded my Ecig file for both the VS VF133 and Therion 166. You could load that file on the mod and it would be completely set up like mine are (not that you would need to do that, but it's just an easy and painless option)..

L to R Therion 166 with a 25mm Supreme, VS VF133 with a 23mm Supreme Lite
IMG_20170119_204726_zpsaagdujnh.jpg

My Favorite DNA atm. The Black Therion 166 with a Ltd Ed Snakeskin battery Door and Carbon Fiber inlays. It can be had for a $126 shipped at WNY Vapes (Buffalo) area. I have a refer a friend link that brings the price down from $140 to $126 shipped (10% off). If you are interested a I can PM it you.
IMG_20170207_111824_zpsykuf8smg.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best Virtualization out there is VMWare, for Mac it's VMWare Fusion

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html

If you can get copy of Windows install it under Fusion, pretty easy and comes in very handy. I've been using VMWare Workstation for over a decade both Professionally and Personal to run Windows under Linux. You really can't get a better Virtual machine, the free version works perfect for what you need it to do.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I mostly vape in wattage mode anyway, so the TC settings aren't as important. Sometimes I use my Crown coils in TC. But I wasn't sure if, even in wattage mode, you needed to do any adjustments in EScribe. I know most of these mods are made for people who use Ti, SS, or Ni200. I like to use higher end mods because of their quality construction.

If you're sticking to power only and not TC, I'm not sure I get why you even would want a DNA board. There are lots of higher end mods with quality construction that won't force you into using a Windows based software package if you want to customize something.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you're sticking to power only and not TC, I'm not sure I get why you even would want a DNA board. There are lots of higher end mods with quality construction that won't force you into using a Windows based software package if you want to customize something.
That is a good point. The firmware updates "usually" fix the TC (TCR) configs. However, there are those times that I've seen them actually fix something else with the logic board (not always firing, etc).

Exampe: Wismec RX200S firmware -- last update.

Firmware V4.13
Maximum output power upgraded to 250W, custom logo and preheat function available

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Eskle,
It's not just for the DNA board. I also just trust the quality of constructions from VS more than most other companies. Like a said earlier, I've had bad experience with the quality of Joytech. I just don't know of other companies that really make good quality mods that will serve my needs

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Eskle,
It's not just for the DNA board. I also just trust the quality of constructions from VS more than most other companies. Like a said earlier, I've had bad experience with the quality of Joytech. I just don't know of other companies that really make good quality mods that will serve my needs

If you'll just be in power mode there's really nothing you should need to adjust in eScribe so long as VS has configured the battery correctly and whatnot. I'm a big DNA fan and just about only vape in TC, so it's nothing against Evolv, I think they're great. There are some other choices out these if you're looking for a solid build for wattage only like a Hexohm. It's extremely well made.

You might also want to consider something with one of the high end YiHi chips in case you ever do want to pursue TC but without the extra software. You can get something like a Boxer with a YiHi chip in place of a DNA. The aesthetics on that brand though are a love or hate thing.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, the boxer. For me it's a wildly hate relationship. I personally haven't seen a mod I though was uglier, yet. And I really hate the sharp lines and tiny buttons of Hana Modz.
I currently have 2 mods with Yihi chips. They are nice. But my sx mini is just starting to give me some grief. And I was just looking to get back into DNA boards. But with the software, that might not be an option anymore.
Any thoughts on Sigelei? One of my newer choices was the 213. Obviously, not for the power. But for the reliability and construction. I've read some reviews and watched a few videos where it came out pretty well

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vapor Shark's come completely setup (not that it matters if you are just using Power Mode, but it's a nice touch). They also have excellent customer service. It's a very nice mod.

Cheers,
Steve

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've always had great customer service experience with them in the past. And it's good to know they are already set up. One of my biggest concerns with DNA boards in other mods is the stories of the battery not being set up for 2 cells instead of Lipo. And without access to Escribe, I wouldn't be able to fix that until I downloaded more software that I'll never use afterwards

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OP, if you look around the dark corners of the internet, you can find free copies Windows XP that have the activation keys built in.

I found one years ago and iinstalled in virtualBox on my Mac mini. It's been serving all my windows needs for 4+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've always had great customer service experience with them in the past. And it's good to know they are already set up. One of my biggest concerns with DNA boards in other mods is the stories of the battery not being set up for 2 cells instead of Lipo. And without access to Escribe, I wouldn't be able to fix that until I downloaded more software that I'll never use afterwards
Just a heads up. Vapor Shark is running a Valentine's Day sale, 14% off everything from 2/10-2/14

upload_2017-2-12_10-50-19.png

Cheers,
Steve

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Can you call/contact VS in advance about that very concern? Their CS is very good, so explaining your software limitations but your desire to spend good money, I'd expect they can at least give you some guidance on how they handle configurations on shipping. And yes, the Boxer is an acquired taste. It doesn't work for me either, but there are folks who swear by it, and looks aside, they are known for a decent build and CS.

IIRC, when I got my Efusion Duo from VapeNW, it came with the 2 battery sled in place and was configured for that. I did replace the sled with the Lipo and had to go into eScribe to reconfigure, but if I had just stayed with the sled I'm not sure I would have needed to use eScribe for power mode at all.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did contact them. Just waiting for a reply. Probably monday or tuesday (they're always quick). If I hear back by then, with a response that works for me, I'll probably get the flask. I loved my DNA40 flask before the fire button broke. But they did tell me a few days ago that the 133 has a newer internal configuration and the button spinning problem shouldn't happen with the newer body

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a VS DNA 250 and have had no need to adjust anything in Escribe. The device arrived just the way I like it. :bliss:

Funnily enough, I recently purchased a new laptop almost exclusively just to be able to use Escribe. Anything else I can do with the laptop is just bonus points. ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a VS DNA 250 and have had no need to adjust anything in Escribe. The device arrived just the way I like it. :bliss:

Funnily enough, I recently purchased a new laptop almost exclusively just to be able to use Escribe. Anything else I can do with the laptop is just bonus points. ;)
Some DNA equipped mods come pre setup and some do not.

Evolve is too cheap assed to make an Apple version of Escribe?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I feel the same way. They would probably make that many more sales with a device that works with Apple products, too.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I feel the same way. They would probably make that many more sales with a device that works with Apple products, too.
You aren't going to see any new vape apps or updates on old ones for Apple
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/news/2017-01-26_apple-rejects-vaping.html
https://vaping.com/blog/comment/yes-apple-just-banned-vaping-but-no-apple-is-not-making-a-vape/

Cheers,
Steve

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A little off topic, but I've decided to get the sx mini q class, just to avoid the Escribe problems I just don't feel like dealing with. When I looked it up, all I saw were good reviews. I have the m class, and figured that the q class would be a safe bet. But today, I've started to see that the q class mini has come out to fix the problems with the q class. But I don't see any real issues with the original other than the 510 coming loose. Do any of you know if there are more problems that users have had with the q class?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A little off topic, but I've decided to get the sx mini q class, just to avoid the Escribe problems I just don't feel like dealing with. When I looked it up, all I saw were good reviews. I have the m class, and figured that the q class would be a safe bet. But today, I've started to see that the q class mini has come out to fix the problems with the q class. But I don't see any real issues with the original other than the 510 coming loose. Do any of you know if there are more problems that users have had with the q class?
The main differences I'm aware of are:
1. The Q-Mini is shorter (the Q should have been that way from the start imo).
2. The Q Mini is compatible with 25mm attys, the Q will have overhang with anything over 22mm.
3. I'm not positive but the Q Mini might also have Bluetooth.

If it was me, I'd go with the Q-Mini for it being shorter and no overhang with 25mm attys alone. :cheers:

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I only use 22mm tanks, and RDA's so no worries there. And if I had known about the mini, I would have gone for that instead. But since I already have the original in the mail, I'm stuck. What I'm more concerned about is other supposed issues that the original has. Like I said, I've only come across a few reports of it not firing after a little while, and some other misc. issues that have supposedly been "fixed" with the mini

VU Sponsors