Become a Patron!

I fixed my orchid to hold more juice.

WVJammer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this. I loved my orchid when I got the easy fill cap from Fasttech, but it didn't hold enough juice for me so I made some changes.

Edit: DON"T force it on! The strain will cause it to split when it heats up. Use a lighter to soften it before you put it onto the chamber.

20fsqir.jpg

szvfxz.jpg

34h98hx.jpg

Last edited:

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tobeco is coming out with a v3 & v4.
dc435716238b34d8f4797aa8ec3ba4c0.jpg

There's a GB for them on FB and reddit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this. I loved my orchid when I got the easy fill cap from Fasttech, but it didn't hold enough juice for me so I made some changes.

20fsqir.jpg

szvfxz.jpg

34h98hx.jpg

Clever boy! Kayfun tank?

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my new Orchid V1 and have been trying some modifications. I have ordered a couple of Taifun GT Nano tanks to increase the juice capacity, but until they come in, I decided to modify the chamber/chimney to get as much capacity out of the stock tank as possible. The stock chimney extends, by my measurement, about 4 mm past the o-ring seal in the top cap. While I will need that extra 4 mm when I attach the Taifun GT tank, it's not needed with the stock tank. So I shortened the chamber 4 mm by grinding off material from the bottom.

p9231525-edit-jpg.6179

The internal threads of the modified chamber bottom out when screwed down, leaving about a 1 mm gap with the base. So I do not get the full 4 mm of extra capacity. However, I do get three improvements: A bit extra juice capacity (not a full ml, but every little bit helps); a chamber that tightens down firmly and cannot be unintentionally reversed when unscrewing the top cap; and juice channels shortened by about half. Now the juice only has to flow about 2 mm before hitting the wick.

Last edited:

WVJammer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nice job WestPole. Yes it's an old kayfun tank I had laying around.
I think when I get a chance I'm going find some kind of pipe or something, thread like the orchid & see if I can get a smaller piece & thread it to match the kayfun chamber threads, That should fix both problems of height & a two piece chimney.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice job WestPole. Yes it's an old kayfun tank I had laying around.
I think when I get a chance I'm going find some kind of pipe or something, thread like the orchid & see if I can get a smaller piece & thread it to match the kayfun chamber threads, That should fix both problems of height & a two piece chimney.

Your're talking about making a new chamber and attaching a Kayfun chimney section in place of the Orchid chamber/chimney, right? There's an idea. I can see that working very well with your Kayfun tank. (And it gets you into cheap quartz tanks on FT.) A short cut might be to cut the chimney off the top of the Orchid chamber/chimney and drill it out to fit the Kayfun chimney section. The top of the Orchid chamber is pretty thin, so maybe a press fit would do. I don't have a lathe, and those bigger metric taps are pretty damn expensive.

If you're into doing that, why not shoot for a full Taifun GT tank (5 ml, not the nano, also cheap on FT)? With a Kayfun chimney attached to an Orchid chamber you are almost there, within 1 mm or so. Doable.

Good ideas. I will be following your lead... ;)

Last edited:

WVJammer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's exactly what I was thinking about.
I don't have a lathe either, I was going to use a drill press. I have sae taps & dies but no metric ones yet.
I like the idea of cutting the chimney off the top of the Orchid. And the Taifun tank too. I just ordered an extra chimney\chamber & a Taifun from FT.
Now the waiting game begins...............lol

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those two chambers are very different sizes. Not sure how you would mate those two together.

WVJammer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would probably use an adapter of some kind or just cut the chamber off the orchid & dill the top to fit the kayfun one, like WestPole suggested.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tobeco is coming out with a v3 & v4.
dc435716238b34d8f4797aa8ec3ba4c0.jpg

There's a GB for them on FB and reddit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V3 is out on FT. The tank as basically a Kayfun Nano with no greater capacity than V1 and V2. V4 looks to be a mm or two taller than a Kayfun standard size tank, and will likely be interchangeable with it. So it looks like all that's new is a longer chamber/chimney part.

Last edited:

WVJammer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Every little bit helps. The link I posted above for focale shows a two piece chimney, but it's a 26650 with only one air hole.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Modified Orchid chamber/chimneys. Ready to grow!

P9261538 edit.jpg

Left: Sortened, fits 25mm stock tank and Kayfun Nano tank.
Stock (not shown): Fits 25mm stock tank and 30mm Taifun GT Nano tank.
Middle: Extension, fits 35mm stock Kayfun tank and 40mm stock Taifun GT tank.
Right: Replaced chimney, fits 55mm Kayfun Extra Long M-Tank, 60mm three-part tank (2 stock Orchid plus one Kayfun middle tank), up to a 70mm tank, which I would have to make custom.

The one on the right uses a Kayfun Mini Long chimney, which comes with the kit but I will never use, attached to a stock Orchid chamber with the chimney removed. It is press fit with a bit of epoxy for sealing. It's not finished because I'm waiting for the epoxy to fully cure before removing the excess and giving the whole thing a clean up. Won't cut the chimney to size until I decide whether I'll use it for the 60mm three-part tank mentioned above or a longer custom job. Excessive, I know, but I'm kinda curious whether such a tall ones will function as well as the shorter ones.

So far I have used the one on the left with a stock tank and the middle one with a stock Kayfun PC tank. Both work great. Waiting for the other tanks etc. to come in. I don't intend to purchase the Kayfun Extra Long M-tank, which is overpriced, when the bigger three-part tank will just be a matter of assembling about $4 worth of FT parts.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors