Become a Patron!

I need a weigh in

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I need a weigh in on a ss316l coil.

Its not for any concern on this one specifically, its a 316l clapton, i know how long i have been using it and what power i have been using it at (which is 15 watts under ohms law, so on the VERY cool side.)

It gunks up a bunch, u have seen the pics, but i keep cleaning it off and carefully dry burning as instructed, and thus is how the coils i have been using look at the moment.

1. Perfectly fine
2. Showing a little use of wear
3. Showing a lot of use, should be replaced if u care about your health.
4. Need to be replaced because they look too corroded or oxidized

Like i said, this is a poll for people with much more experience than me with wire20221225_104349.jpg20221225_104204.jpg

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Wwll, haha, i had to anyway, cuz after i posted that i got up with it still in my lap and smashed the coil in on the floor.

Oh well,

Decided to start off with a little better care setting up. 20221225_113549.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Having a bit of welding experience is no help to me regarding SS coils. I know full well that a person cannot glow them too hot. Never fails in trying to use a simple single strand SS coil, I'll blaze it white-hot trying to tweak it. Look down in the deck and see liquid steel. *smh* Really, I try not to do it, but I bugger up SS it seems every time.

I reckon proponents of temperature control would use as an argument for it.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
For future reference, I'd give that original coil a 2.

Nice colors on your new build!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Looks to be a pretty solid coil. Might clean up the "gunk". Otherwise, I'd keep on vaping using such a coil, if I used that kind of coil.

Ze1q9gM.jpeg

I might use only coil similar to this. Might use Kanthal instead of Stainless Steel or NiChrome. My point being I like just simple coils, no real fancy stuff needed for me. Most oft, find my "simple" coils do roughly the same, "toe to toe" as the "fancy" coils.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Looks to be a pretty solid coil. Might clean up the "gunk". Otherwise, I'd keep on vaping using such a coil, if I used that kind of coil.

Ze1q9gM.jpeg

I might use only coil similar to this. Might use Kanthal instead of Stainless Steel or NiChrome. My point being I like just simple coils, no real fancy stuff needed for me. Most oft, find my "simple" coils do roughly the same, "toe to toe" as the "fancy" coils.
Oh, no i fried it, 100 watts, the resistance was all wierd after, so i chucked it
(I forgot to put a caption on it, mah bad)

Nice clean build tho, mine never look that nice

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh, no i fried it, 100 watts, the resistance was all wierd after, so i chucked it
(I forgot to put a caption on it, mah bad)

Nice clean build tho, mine never look that nice

*ahem* Pardon, ..

Goooooooooooobbbbbbbbbeeeerrrrrr. :) :D

See why I like the K.I.S.S method, now? That and most of the mechanical I use won't fire over a rough average of 24 Watts. On a 0.35 Ω single I can go six months or longer, just depends on monitoring the coil material. Sorry for ribbing, nothing mean intended, just good humor.

My 0,35 will sometimes go to 0.37 or 0.33. If I'm not hoping over 0.05 Ω I don't really get too concerned. You're going to see a little flux as the coil is used, that range above seems at least "relatively" safe.

I don't try for coils 0.25 or lower, as I'm not enough of a techie genius to figure out keeping them cool physically & I don't want any temp control/regulated device most of the time. Regulated devices quickly turn into bricks for me.

I like 0.35 to 0.50 and can still do as good as fancy stuff, dual or single, at times. Not a cloud chaser, flavor chaser, stealth. I'm just a vaper.

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
*ahem* Pardon, ..

Goooooooooooobbbbbbbbbeeeerrrrrr. :) :D

See why I like the K.I.S.S method, now? That and most of the mechanical I use won't fire over a rough average of 24 Watts. On a 0.35 Ω single I can go six months or longer, just depends on monitoring the coil material. Sorry for ribbing, nothing mean intended, just good humor.

My 0,35 will sometimes go to 0.37 or 0.33. If I'm not hoping over 0.05 Ω I don't really get too concerned. You're going to see a little flux as the coil is used, that range above seems at least "relatively" safe.

I don't try for coils 0.25 or lower, as I'm not enough of a techie genius to figure out keeping them cool physically & I don't want any temp control/regulated device most of the time. Regulated devices quickly turn into bricks for me.

I like 0.35 to 0.50 and can still do as good as fancy stuff, dual or single, at times. Not a cloud chaser, flavor chaser, stealth. I'm just a vaper.
Lol, i deserve it too, because it didnt fire in my pocket, i just didnt look before i hit it...

For any bystanders, i wanted to post this pic cuz it never ceases to amaze me how small this stuff is, when one talks about doing a nice coil job, this is the size of a full size 3mm coil (the bumps are the nubs on upholstery)
20230131_135115.jpg

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol, i deserve it too, because it didnt fire in my pocket, i just didnt look before i hit it...

*chuckles* Reminds me of a Coach Naggy, Uncle Oscar joke. Naggy was our high school football coach, chemistry teacher. Took a week of his chemistry course, got put out of it. I kept finding, well, things that did *interesting* stuff. Never played football except gym class and only flag at that.

Naggy's Uncle Oscar jokes, ... well, ...

Uncle Oscar's big city nephew visited one Fall. Oscar decided to take him out to hunt a rabbit.

They got to walking along and directly Oscar hollers out, "see that, boy?

"No, I missed it. What was it," the nephew asked.

"It was a six point buck hop the fence in front of us. Rabbit nothing, deer burger sounds better for supper. Keep your eyes open," Oscar said.

Walking along again, again Oscar calls out asking the nephew if he saw it.

"What was it this time," the nephew asked, getting frustrated.

"Half a dozen squirrel scurried up that copse of trees yon, come on boy get your eyes and head about it," Oscar said.

While walking, the nephew thought, "alright, I'll get him. Next time he asks, yes, I saw it."

And so again, "See that?"

"Yes! Yes, Uncle Oscar, I saw it!"

"Why then did you step in the only cow pie in this pasture?"

Moral: Shit happens. Shit happens to everyone. All you can do is try cleaning it off, moving forward, always keep moving forward. :)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I figured it out. Here another pretty one i did
I don't have the experience other here do... but that coil seems overstuffed (chokes off the juice flow to the coil) and so much wick, even though it may be fluffed, seems to be blocking most of the airflow.
Coil (and placement), wick (and how much/thinning) and airflow all work together. Forgive me if I'm talking like I know it all... I don't (just mentioning a few things I noticed)

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I don't have the experience other here do... but that coil seems overstuffed (chokes off the juice flow to the coil) and so much wick, even though it may be fluffed, seems to be blocking most of the airflow.
Coil (and placement), wick (and how much/thinning) and airflow all work together. Forgive me if I'm talking like I know it all... I don't (just mentioning a few things I noticed)
I know it looks like that, but its side airflow.

it is maybe a little choked off, but it doesnt seem to bother it too much. i never get leaks out of the air holes or gurgling when i fill it.

Appreciate the critique tho, thank u

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't know if you mentioned this... but is it RDA or RTA (maybe I wasn't paying attention but what is this?)
I'm surprised you didn't mention the tank (I could watch some videos...) Even side airflow can benefit from some extra airflow (overall) I don't mean airflow intake adjustment but just air flow in general. I have also made the mistake of overstuffing the coil it self... it can have great wicking to the coil but then it just gets chocked off.

VU Sponsors