Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Howdy, peeps! I need some guidance.....

My son and a friend of his are hooked on the Puff bars(ugh....). They are looking to wean themselves off of them and have asked for my help. I’m sure I can muddle through it, but having never used nic salts or many pod devices, I thought I’d ask for help.

The criteria......

No rebuildables. They’re not interested in any of that. Plug and play is the name of the game.

Decent flavor and similar draw

Refillable, since I’m mixing for them. With that, I’m assuming I have to get salts because of the high nic content(25 to start....down to 18, etc.....)

Relatively cheap. They don’t give af about any of the bells and whistles.

I’m leaning toward a couple of Nords. Cheap, coils are easily purchased(maybe even in a shop), flavor isn’t terrible and I have one so I can test recipes(haha).

Any and all advice is helpful and welcome. <3

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe even a Nord AIO, if you can find one. It uses the Nord coils so it can be plus or sub ohm. But the pod is prolly easier to get now.

@Mr.Meowgi is using the Smoant Pasito a lot. Maybe that also?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smoant Pasito, snowwolf wocket, artery pal 2,breeze 2.i have all of these and use daily. All have adjustable af either on the coil adapter itself or the mod. All have plug and coils. Most with the mesh coils which is a great plus for flavor. The wocket coils may be hard to find sometimes. Got mine at Vaporbeast. Com.. But all other coils are plentiful and haven't run across any bad batches

Sent from a pile of wood chips

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The pasito has an rba as well. I think the pal 2 does. I have the pal 2 not the pal 2 pro. Works great. And actually have breeze, pasito and Pal2 packed up and could be sold if interested. Better than retail price I'm sure.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The Artery Pal AIO devices use those tiny Aspire BVC (Non-Nautilus) coils, which used to be available damn near everywhere. Not so sure about now. Also Artery coils and those tiny iJoy coils that fit the Mercury.

Squid Squad is a nice AIO device, and if you get the "tank" version, I believe it can use Nautilus coils. Built-in battery.

The Mulus is super nice for restricted DL and can use Nautilus coils, too. Separate 18650 battery. A bit larger than the Squad.

I don't know from actual pod devices because I don't have any.

If you go for something like one of these, you don't have to modify your recipes, and you can mix 12mg nic juice for them.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If it were me, I would look into either a subtank or a nautilus on a regular mod. Ive not used many salts myself; however, the wife uses the for work and swaps to a high powered setup when she gets home. She doesn’t have any issue swapping between the two.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If it were me, I would look into either a subtank or a nautilus on a regular mod. Ive not used many salts myself; however, the wife uses the for work and swaps to a high powered setup when she gets home. She doesn’t have any issue swapping between the two.

That’s what I do for plus ohm vaping with salts. I use a Naut Mini and vape low power. It works fine, and you don’t end up vaping plastic. Plus, if they want to vape sub ohm, the coils are not that hard to find.

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I remember starting out, and all I wanted was simple. But it was seeing all the cool attys and mods that constantly kept coming out, with that WOW factor... that was what really sucked me in. I couldn't wait to get my hands on an Itaste 134 mod, remember those, and how cool those were? It's those bells and whistles that make this hobby so interesting for me, and then learning to diy made it all the cooler, you know? I've run into a couple of vapers in the past who displayed absolutely no curiosity about anything except their nord. I always had tons of curiosity about other folks gear, so a lack of curiosity kind of baffles me. (sorry, you were looking for recommendations, not commentary...lol)

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
No bells n wistles....cheap n fucttionable. Ya, just go with the nord. I personally have never used em but have heard enough people say good things.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you go the Nord route, there are still some in the hardware thread. I just picked up 3 for a work buddy. $12 a piece. All he has used since they came out, and all he cares to have. I have one, like it fine, just not enough for me all the time. I believe he still has extra pods available as well.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use salts, but at low concentration, 3mg/1.5mg, regular nic for me is harsh even at that low.

Now for devices, I own a Nord and Pacito or whatever it’s called, I run those with a tad higher nic, but mostly cause of the infrequent puff count and their intended use of being ultra compact and nic delivery only. Which then it’s rarely higher than 9mg.

I find that the factory Nord coils are fine for my needs, but they aren’t flavor monsters in any true respect compared to a rebuildable, but they don’t need to be for my intended purposes and they don’t last long, but many times the coils to me are single use... then it just sits and sits til I am out needing ultra compact again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

My son and a friend of his are hooked on the Puff bars(ugh....). They are looking to wean themselves off of them and have asked for my help. I’m sure I can muddle through it, but having never used nic salts or many pod devices, I thought I’d ask for help.

The criteria......

No rebuildables. They’re not interested in any of that. Plug and play is the name of the game.

Refillable, since I’m mixing for them. With that, I’m assuming I have to get salts because of the high nic content(25 to start....down to 18, etc.....)

I’m leaning toward a couple of Nords. Cheap, coils are easily purchased(maybe even in a shop), flavor isn’t terrible and I have one so I can test recipes(haha).

Voopoo Drag Nano. It has okay flavor and a simular draw to a Puff bar, which I have used in the hospital. The pod which you draw from is about the same shape and feel as the Puff bar. I like mine well enough and I believe there inexpensive.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I use regular nic in my pods, too, just curious how her son and pal would do on freebase. They might do just fine, plus save @wildgypsy70 some money not having to get it, lol.

Well hopefully they aren't going for the head rush thing like that kid that posted here one time. If they can just go for regular MTL vaping, 9-12mg should be fine if they can deal with the throat hit.

Does 12mg freebase actually have more throat hit than 50mg salts?

I don't know what everyone else's experiences are, but salts just KILLED the flavor in the juice I used it in. Had to damn near double the level of flavors in order to taste anything.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you go the Nord route, there are still some in the hardware thread. I just picked up 3 for a work buddy. $12 a piece. All he has used since they came out, and all he cares to have. I have one, like it fine, just not enough for me all the time. I believe he still has extra pods available as well.
Thank you! I picked em up. Cheap and perfect for what I need.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well hopefully they aren't going for the head rush thing like that kid that posted here one time. If they can just go for regular MTL vaping, 9-12mg should be fine if they can deal with the throat hit.

I don't know what everyone else's experiences are, but salts just KILLED the flavor in the juice I used it in. Had to damn near double the level of flavors in order to taste anything.
It’s def gonna be rough testing. I haven’t had that much nic in ages!

i don’t think they were in it for the rush. Aspen is ADHD and probably picked it up for focusing. I’m not sure about his friend. I think they got really hooked during the Covid stay at home with nothing to do.

I might pick up a small bottle of salts and see what’s what. It may be hard for them to go from 50 to 12. I don’t want them giving up before really giving it a chance.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I remember starting out, and all I wanted was simple. But it was seeing all the cool attys and mods that constantly kept coming out, with that WOW factor... that was what really sucked me in. I couldn't wait to get my hands on an Itaste 134 mod, remember those, and how cool those were? It's those bells and whistles that make this hobby so interesting for me, and then learning to diy made it all the cooler, you know? I've run into a couple of vapers in the past who displayed absolutely no curiosity about anything except their nord. I always had tons of curiosity about other folks gear, so a lack of curiosity kind of baffles me. (sorry, you were looking for recommendations, not commentary...lol)
Lol! I started out that way. Got my little AIO pen style thing as was like, if this works, great! It did and I was thrilled to vape strawberry cream. Haha!

then.....a few weeks later.....I found VU. I saw all the pictures, commentary and BOOM! I was in. Soooooo in. I thought, they’re saying I can get BETTER flavor from a sub tank? Sign me up! Even better flavor with an RDA?! Damn! Make my own juice!? WOW!!! Within a year, I had so many devices, sub tanks, RDAs and bottles of juice that I almost drowned in it all.

My son? No curiosity at all. Just wants to quit the Puff bar and eventually be weaned off the whole thing.

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't vape freebase. The crazy throat hit was like inhaling fire. I tried vaping a few times. Never worked for me. Then 2 years ago I tried a Juul was amazing in no time without even trying I stopped smoking. I was a heavy smoker for 32 years average 75-100 cigs a day. Switched to a Breeze & 50MG salts. I'm now vaping 8mg salt. Slowly cutting down. Nic salt saved my life. Tried 3mg freebase again a few weeks ago still the same just like inhaling fire.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't vape freebase. The crazy throat hit was like inhaling fire. I tried vaping a few times. Never worked for me. Then 2 years ago I tried a Juul was amazing in no time without even trying I stopped smoking. I was a heavy smoker for 32 years average 75-100 cigs a day. Switched to a Breeze & 50MG salts. I'm now vaping 8mg salt. Slowly cutting down. Nic salt saved my life. Tried 3mg freebase again a few weeks ago still the same just like inhaling fire.
Interesting, times 2. 5 packs a day? :eek: That's a whole lotta cigs. I guess If I had enough time in the day, I probably would have been there as well. And the fire, just wondering about flavoring, maybe. I can still do 24mg freebase and it is nice and smooth (what I started on). I have gotten down to way lower than that, but did recently try it just to see. Idk, I guess all are different, but it sounds like salts were what you needed, glad you found them :)

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting, times 2. 5 packs a day? :eek: That's a whole lotta cigs. I guess If I had enough time in the day, I probably would have been there as well. And the fire, just wondering about flavoring, maybe. I can still do 24mg freebase and it is nice and smooth (what I started on). I have gotten down to way lower than that, but did recently try it just to see. Idk, I guess all are different, but it sounds like salts were what you needed, glad you found them :)
I ran heavy equipment for years so 12 hours a day while operating I had a smoke burning. Put one out and spark up another!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

But these are kids wanting to get a nic fix and maybe lower the mg.

I don’t have any pods personally, but I have a few non pod AIOs from when I picked up vaping again about a year and a half ago. This week when vaping a sub tank was making me cough like crazy, I broke out an Aspire K3 AIO and I was able to vape all day. What a relief. I didn’t want to smoke!!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I use freebase in my pods. 12mg.only salts were just a trial or a juul. Didnt like them much

I’ll only use salts if I don’t want to vape that much, for some reason. Or if I feel like having something different. The 35mg salts I’ve got feel the same as maybe 9-12mg juice in a sub tank. I don’t feel that much of a difference, except maybe I’m not hitting it up constantly!

Sometimes salts will irritate my throat and make me cough. Really strange!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I use salts, but at low concentration, 3mg/1.5mg, regular nic for me is harsh even at that low.

Now for devices, I own a Nord and Pacito or whatever it’s called, I run those with a tad higher nic, but mostly cause of the infrequent puff count and their intended use of being ultra compact and nic delivery only. Which then it’s rarely higher than 9mg.

I find that the factory Nord coils are fine for my needs, but they aren’t flavor monsters in any true respect compared to a rebuildable, but they don’t need to be for my intended purposes and they don’t last long, but many times the coils to me are single use... then it just sits and sits til I am out needing ultra compact again

For on the street or on the go, really small devices are great. I have a Nord AIO for that, and although it puts out a bigger cloud than I’d like nowadays outdoors among people, the flavor is okay. Not amazing but not bad. It is what it is. Convenient. And small.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

That “ How To Get The Biggest Rush Possible” kid? Ye gods. I have 35 and 50mg salts, because I was curious, but when I’m vaping them I can’t keep taking a hit of them. The point is that they’re meant to give you satisfaction with less.

I haven’t mixed with salts yet really. Oh no, I made one Vanilla Mint mix of 24mg salts and it was meh. I mixed 50ml and it’s still hanging around somewhere. Almost forgot about it!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Lol! I started out that way. Got my little AIO pen style thing as was like, if this works, great! It did and I was thrilled to vape strawberry cream. Haha!

then.....a few weeks later.....I found VU. I saw all the pictures, commentary and BOOM! I was in. Soooooo in. I thought, they’re saying I can get BETTER flavor from a sub tank? Sign me up! Even better flavor with an RDA?! Damn! Make my own juice!? WOW!!! Within a year, I had so many devices, sub tanks, RDAs and bottles of juice that I almost drowned in it all.

My son? No curiosity at all. Just wants to quit the Puff bar and eventually be weaned off the whole thing.

VU is a bad influence as far as buying new gear!! Ironically, I got majorly turned off to RDAs after squonking VR’s juice. It tasted okay in a sub tank. And I was trying squonking for the first time, and filled it with his juice. Omg, what a horrible taste.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

The criteria......

Does it need to be MTL or DTL?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Could go loose MTL... and even restricted DL...more vapor has generally been misconstrued as stronger... might be just the thing where one can instantly do said reduction of nic.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Could go loose MTL... and even restricted DL...more vapor has generally been misconstrued as stronger... might be just the thing where one can instantly do said reduction of nic.

Agreed, there is prolly more satisfaction from a bit more vapor, especially if they’ll be cutting down on nic. It might distract them from not having Puff Bar amounts of salts.

VU Sponsors