Become a Patron!

I think I may be weird- flavor help

Hello All

Yes I'm new to this forum but I'm not new to vaping. And I have a problem. Both of my local vape shops went out of business because of the pandemic. Yeah it sucks. Great thing was they would sell you little sample bottles so you could try new flavors.

Now I'm having trouble finding flavors I like ordering online and it's getting too expensive buying a bunch of flavors I will never use. I have been vaping for 8 years and I pretty much know what I like. So, I may be weird, but here goes- I don't like sweet vapes. I don't like tobacco vapes (they taste like a dirty ashtray smells). I do like plain coffee flavor. I love coconut flavor, but only the one from Ripe. I really like citrus, lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit, pineapple too, the problem is most make them too sweet. I like mint (not menthol), again not too sweet. I am willing to try new flavors, I just don't want to spend a lot of doing it.

I use a pod system and so need nic salts.

If anyone knows of online vape shops that sell samples please post. Any flavor recommendations will be much appreciated! 😊

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might want to check out EC Blends. They offer somewhat "reasonable" and affordable juice, both as samplers and regular full orders.

I use a pod system and so need nic salts.

General opinion is there's not much if any difference between "salts", or regular juice. Salts is more, or less merely something done as marketing. One can attain the smooth "effect" with regular "freebase" juice if blended up correctly.

Ultimately though, ... use what suits you because what suits you is what's right for you.

You might want to check out EC Blends. They offer somewhat "reasonable" and affordable juice, both as samplers and regular full orders.

General opinion is there's not much if any difference between "salts", or regular juice. Salts is more, or less merely something done as marketing. One can attain the smooth "effect" with regular "freebase" juice if blended up correctly.

Ultimately though, ... use what suits you because what suits you is what's right for you.
Thank you, I'll try EC Blends.

Seconding EC Blend.
Also, TheDollarEJuiceClub offers 5 ml sampler bottles for 99 cents: https://thedollarejuiceclub.com/collections/all/
Oh thank you, that's perfect! 😊

Ok, I didn't know that about the nic salts. I don't mind spending on good vape juice I like, but I literally have 8 bottles of stuff I don't like- at 15$-20$ a pop that's just too expensive. So I have been stuck with the Ripe Vapes coconut, which I really like, but I want some variety. Thanks very much 😊

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I didn't even know you can DIY your own juice, but I really like the idea a whole lot. How difficult is it? I'm no chemist, but with good clear instructions I learn fast. I'll look for tutorials. Thank you 😊

It can really be as easy or as complex as you want to make it. You can find a few recipes that you like and stick with those, or you can gain some experience and develop your own. There are a few supplies you'd need (basically bottles and a scale, at least), and you'll need nic salts, flavors, and bases. See bullcityflavors.com and nicbase.com to get started. VG and PG can be ordered off Amazon if Bull City is out of stock.

YouTube has many videos on DIY liquid. Look for DIY or Die's videos for beginners, to start. Take a look at the flavor stash and e-liquid recipe builder and calculator at e-liquid-recipes.com. Check out the Daily Mixing Thread and other threads in the DIY sub-forum here at VU. You can get a lot of good, experienced help around here and at many other places on the Internet. DIY or Die's Facebook group is quite active.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not rocket science by any means. Certainly any failures you have will not cost you $20 each - just a little of your time and maybe a buck or less of your money. I can mix 30ml for an average cost of about a buck. People who buy their supplies in bulk have considerably lower costs than that.

Last edited:

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
So I have been stuck with the Ripe Vapes coconut, which I really like
Ha! - Vaping exactly that myself right now.
Oh thank you, that's perfect! 😊
You're very welcome.
I didn't even know you can DIY your own juice, but I really like the idea a whole lot. How difficult is it?
@nadalama answered perfectly, as usual. Allow me to add just a bit of encouragement.

I'm very new to DIY. Still mostly vaping a stash of store-bought e-liquids (like Ripe Vapes coconut) but I've also mixed my own and it's really not hard. As few as 4 ingredients for single-flavor mixes (even fewer if you don't use nicotine or flavorings but you probably will), the math is simple, and the necessary supplies besides nicotine are inexpensive. I'm not smart and am very clumsy; if I can do it, just about anyone can.

Also, if you use nicotine and are in the USA, there's a good chance of the price going through the roof sometime in the not distant future because of a federal tax. If you sincerely want to try DIY, it might be a good idea to get nicotine base sooner rather than later.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ha! - Vaping exactly that myself right now.

You're very welcome.

@nadalama answered perfectly, as usual. Allow me to add just a bit of encouragement.

I'm very new to DIY. Still mostly vaping a stash of store-bought e-liquids (like Ripe Vapes coconut) but I've also mixed my own and it's really not hard. As few as 4 ingredients for single-flavor mixes (even fewer if you don't use nicotine or flavorings but you probably will), the math is simple, and the necessary supplies besides nicotine are inexpensive. I'm not smart and am very clumsy; if I can do it, just about anyone can.

Also, if you use nicotine and are in the USA, there's a good chance of the price going through the roof sometime in the not distant future because of a federal tax. If you sincerely want to try DIY, it might be a good idea to get nicotine base sooner rather than later.

You are SO right about the nicotine. That's a very good point to remember.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It can really be as easy or as complex as you want to make it.

Exactlty. I have a small horde of various flavorings. Most often I vape unflavored "base" ejuice that is "freebase" nicotine at 18mg/ml. I might once in a while add a few drops of flavoring into an RDA. It gets wicked and vaped. I can do more complex stuff but prefer being simple. :)

Ok, I didn't know that about the nic salts. I don't mind spending on good vape juice I like, but I literally have 8 bottles of stuff I don't like- at 15$-20$ a pop that's just too expensive.

Yep, same way here. As a general rule of thumb I don't like to pay over ~$0.25 per ml of juice, unless it is something really special liked flaked with gold. *chuckles* If i go the DIY route I'm looking at my "base" running ~$40 - ~$50 per liter. Then, my cost/s for a 30 ml (1oz) bottle runs ~$0.04 - ~$0.06 per ml mixing up flavored stuff, sometimes a bit less.

Context and being fair, I'm a moderate vaper that usually vapes ~4 - ~8 ml per day.

Last edited:
Seconding EC Blend.
Also, TheDollarEJuiceClub offers 5 ml sampler bottles for 99 cents: https://thedollarejuiceclub.com/collections/all/

It can really be as easy or as complex as you want to make it. You can find a few recipes that you like and stick with those, or you can gain some experience and develop your own. There are a few supplies you'd need (basically bottles and a scale, at least), and you'll need nic salts, flavors, and bases. See bullcityflavors.com and nicbase.com to get started. VG and PG can be ordered off Amazon if Bull City is out of stock.

YouTube has many videos on DIY liquid. Look for DIY or Die's videos for beginners, to start. Take a look at the flavor stash and e-liquid recipe builder and calculator at e-liquid-recipes.com. Check out the Daily Mixing Thread and other threads in the DIY sub-forum here at VU. You can get a lot of good, experienced help around here and at many other places on the Internet. DIY or Die's Facebook group is quite active.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not rocket science by any means. Certainly any failures you have will not cost you $20 each - just a little of your time and maybe a buck or less of your money. I can mix 30ml for an average cost of about a buck. People who buy their supplies in bulk have considerably lower costs than that.
OMGosh so many flavors! 😊 And I've already watched a few how-to videos & explored a little at EC Blends. I think you and the other great people here have solved my problem and I can't thank you (all) enough. Thank you so much. 😊

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might also later on want to look at Bull City Flavors. A lot of us here on the forum use them for DIY juices. Will give you a heads up, sometimes there's random acts of kindness happen there.

For instance you might have say $20 or so of items in a wish list, it gets sent to you and you don't pay. Someone has tossed out an extra bit of money for Bull City to "put on somebody else's order". Don't expect it all the time but it happens at times.

We all try looking out for everyone here best we can. This forum is a cross between asylum and family. :) Got to be nutty in a nutty world.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You might also later on want to look at Bull City Flavors. A lot of us here on the forum use them for DIY juices. Will give you a heads up, sometimes there's random acts of kindness happen there.

For instance you might have say $20 or so of items in a wish list, it gets sent to you and you don't pay. Someone has tossed out an extra bit of money for Bull City to "put on somebody else's order". Don't expect it all the time but it happens at times.

We all try looking out for everyone here best we can. This forum is a cross between asylum and family. :) Got to be nutty in a nutty world.
There is a coupon code that is good all the time at Bull City Flavors. It's VU6 and it will take 6% off your order.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One of the advantages to doing DIY is you can make juices that are less sweet. Another nice thing is "adjusting" pre-made juices. If the juice is too sweet (but very strong flavor) you can dilute it with some of your own unflavored "base". You can also add nicotine if it's not strong enough. I like Naked POG (passion fruit, orange, guava) but it's too sweet and over flavored. I just dilute it with my unflavored base (and add some cream flavor to smooth it out) I actually found the "clone" recipe so might try to make my own next time. Doing DIY seems hard at first but gets easier after you do it awhile. It's really good to have a scale (has to be very sensitive) Mine has a power supply too so I don't need to use batteries (although it can use them too) It's a 501 model. If you get into this, be aware that not all flavors and brands are good. One brand might have a great ice cream but a lousy lemon. I have done a lot of research and can help with flavor choices (I have compiled a list) BCF is best for flavors, but another place to check out is Liquid Barn (they have some good unique "one-shots") Figuring out what % to mix each flavor requires some research (but we can help) Some brands are very strong... others weak.
Just get some nic ASAP and store it in the freezer if possible (I recommend 100 mg/ml in PG) You can get it in "salt" version too but it cost more (and there is nothing special about what you use for pods) You can get everything else later (VG, PG, flavors)
Hey... even though I do all DIY now, I might check out those $1 samples for ideas for new flavors.

VU Sponsors