Become a Patron!

iJOY Diamond lit on fire and melted in my pocket!

Hey Guys and Girls,
I just made this account as this happened to me yesterday and im not sure where to go with it or who I could contact from iJOY.
I was on the couch at home heading to the gym in half an hour playing on my laptop.
My partner came in the room and we were talking I could smell something, I asked her had she used a hair straightener? she hadn't, I smelled my laptop thinking it was that and it wasn't, then I saw a wisp of what looked like smoke or vape coming up from my pocket and I thought I had leant on the fire button, I reached into my pocket and pulled it out via the tank.
As I pulled it out of my pocket I noticed the tank was cold, as I pulled it out I saw it glowing around the seal on the back of the screen near the top, I thought a battery had shorted out (near new perfect condition 20700 batteries ijoy) I ran through the house smoke pouring off the vape now and launched it out the back door off the verandah into the back yard!
After calling my dog off what he thought might be a thrown toy I gave it a few minutes and walked out to see what had happened, it had melted from behind the screen side and melted through the battery tray and burnt the side of one of the batteries.
I have the device and photos but was wondering who I should contact about this.
Ive been vaping a few years instead of cigarettes and bought many different devices and have never had anything like this happen, Im glad the battery didn't blow up or it melt through my pants I luckily had tracksuit pants on to workout and had changed from my swimming shorts which have mesh pockets that would have melted though and burnt me with melted plastic before I noticed.
Im pretty pissed about it and have quit vaping as of yesterday.
Any Ideas would be appreciated, sorry for the long winded story!
Thanks
goodtenks

Buddha222

Chainvaping through the fog ....
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
If you Google 'Defective iJoy Diamond' you should find a few results.

A reddit user posted about their Diamond shooting sparks out of the fire buttons. You may have a similar defect.

Actually had my ijoy diamond do exactly the same thing today . Was sitting on the table and I smelt burnt electronics smell ( worst smell ever if ya ask me ) noticed it had smoke coming from the body of the mod not tank , immediately took off back cover and pulled batteries . Tank was not hot , batteries were pretty warm the silicone sleeve was burnt took batteries outside to a safe area . The inside of the battery compartment had a hole burnt in it and you could see where it looked like something on the board itself had shorted out and was the cause . After the batteries had been outside for about 30 minutes I went out to check them and no venting or damage was done to them just the adapter sleeve . Was wondering if you contacted ijoy about this ? Sounds like this could be a serious problem and people could get hurt . Glad I caught it before thing started going boom !

This is what mine looked like

Attachments

• 15418285727473457113903870237400.jpg
    15418285727473457113903870237400.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 15418286417518540901676767388369.jpg
    15418286417518540901676767388369.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 43

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Damn. That looks sketchy. I wonder if they have started using cheap thin wire.

Sorry for the late response guys Ive been away without internet access.
Wrench520 mine looks pretty much the same as that! ill get some photos and post pics.
I have contacted iJOY and they dont seem to really care, im persisting the thing caught on fire in my pocket while not in use, what if id left it at home and the place burnt down with my dog inside?
I dont want to be a sook but a decent apology would be nice, so far they really dont seem bothered that this has happened.

edit:spelling

heres a photo of mine...
if anyone has a better way to contact iJOY it would be greatly appreciated as their warranty department has been no help

Attachments

• file-4.jpeg
    file-4.jpeg
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 28

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
That is mighty suspect. What are the odds two people have the same issue in the same place as a coincidence.

G>O>M

Member For 1 Year
any chance someone with the same model can strip it down to the point where the area under the battery compartment can be seen

it should give useful information for those that own one to be able to check their own mod

as a huge guess it looks like it could be an area where the battery terminals meet the board

if its a component then power ic's are a high suspect

Last edited:

mhask68

Member For 1 Year
I can strip my old one down for you. I’ll try to get to it tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhask68

Member For 1 Year
I want able to open it. Apparently I don’t have a small enough star driver. But from the sounds it it sounds like a short circuit between the batteries and the contacts. Probably due to faulty wiring. When I did have mine open I found that type of issue. But I attributed it to dropping the mod. Apparently there must have been a horrible batch that was sent out. I talked to a friend who’s wife has one and she hasn’t had any issues like we have. I bought a new one. If this one goes out, I’ll just buy a mech mod. At least those are easier to trouble shoot.

mhask68

Member For 1 Year
One more thing. I can attest that the circuit board it self is really well protected inside.

Strange this just happened to my ijoy captain as well burning in the same place as well as you can see have emailed ijoy about will wait and see

Attachments

• 20220409_160447.jpg
    20220409_160447.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220409_160443.jpg
    20220409_160443.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 5

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Strange this just happened to my ijoy captain as well burning in the same place as well as you can see have emailed ijoy about will wait and see

Hi,:wave:
Looks like Ijoy is still having problems.
It appears to be an issue with this one positive terminal.
I can see from the other pics melting around that area where the battery was. in your pics the terminal has completely melted off.
1649549921612.png

Both mods look like they have the same sled and positive/negative terminals at the top.
1649550031282.png

Something is going on with the positive side on the right of these mods.
Three of the same brand mod, same sled, and same exact terminal melted.

Yup 100% agree I have emailed ijoys support with the pictures I posted just waiting to see if they reply but will not hold my breath if they do ill come back to let you know

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
They had trouble with the Capo squonkers, too. Juice leaks cause fouling of the circuitry, and mods would auto-fire and overheat. I didn't use my Capo 100 for about a year after I read that, but then I put it back into use and haven't had any trouble with it. I did change the tank out to an iJoy Captain Elite RTA, which never leaks, so perhaps I headed off a problem.

I have quite a few iJoy mods and have not had this problem, but I definitely remember reading the posts of others who did.

@Baldric131 do you know if you had juice leaking into that mod of yours?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Juice leaks cause fouling of the circuitry, and mods would auto-fire and overheat. I didn't use my Capo 100 for about a year after I read that,

Think possibly juice leaking, being spilled, has been an issue for my use of regulated devices. Do not know for sure, would not discount that notion. It certainly does hold a fair bit of likelihood.

Then again, it may be I attract that guy named Murphy who throws his book of laws at me. *chuckles* I chalk it up as "well, sh-- happens". Also a good reason behind a preference of mechanical mods. They're built to be abused yet still keep working. :)

VU Sponsors