Become a Patron!

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would have imagined installing the coils the other way (but I'm really new at this, lol). Seems like it would be easier to wick.
You are absolutely correct.
On a normal day I do indeed turn the coils so the wicking is directed towards the wick channel.
However the first time I wicked this back in November I accidently (due to being in a rush) put them in this way and it just worked rather well.
So I figured on this particular RDTA I'd just stick with it.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not.
But since I have 5 of them on the shelf I think I can do that.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Looking forward to it! Should be able to fit a massive single coil, if you wanted to. I really like the iJoy RDTAs, I got a Limitless Plus v1 and the RDTA Box and love using both of them. I've been thinking of getting the Classic and using the imc7 deck, to run a single coil, but gotta curb my vape spending for a little while. I splurged a bit too much during the holidays....lol

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looking forward to it! Should be able to fit a massive single coil, if you wanted to. I really like the iJoy RDTAs, I got a Limitless Plus v1 and the RDTA Box and love using both of them. I've been thinking of getting the Classic and using the imc7 deck, to run a single coil, but gotta curb my vape spending for a little while. I splurged a bit too much during the holidays....lol
I definitely know the feeling of spending, lol
I do like the RDTAs , just not in single coil.
Most generally single coil builds have much smaller chambers.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I definitely know the feeling of spending, lol
I do like the RDTAs , just not in single coil.
Most generally single coil builds have much smaller chambers.
Thanks for trying it, it looks nice! If/when I decide to finally get the Classic, I thought that deck might be a good candidate to try a single coil to see how it performs. I can see where the large chamber would affect it. I do love the look of that deck, nice simple and clean.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is an awfully large chamber, not sure you'll get what you want out of a single coil.
However dual coil has been working exceptionally well for me.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got rid of the single coil.
Built up a pair of 2x26GA cores wrapped in 30GA all stainless.
4mm ID
Came out to 0.14Ω
Absolutely awesome flavor.
However while trying not to empty the juice, I ended up cracking the glass.
(would have rather emptied it)
Since it is just a hairline crack, I'm going to vape it till empty before changing the glass.

20170102_212959.jpg 20170102_213323.jpg 20170102_213412.jpg

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got rid of the single coil.
Built up a pair of 2x26GA cores wrapped in 30GA all stainless.
4mm ID
Came out to 0.14Ω
Absolutely awesome flavor.
However while trying not to empty the juice, I ended up cracking the glass.
(would have rather emptied it)
Since it is just a hairline crack, I'm going to vape it till empty before changing the glass.

View attachment 70562 View attachment 70564 View attachment 70565
I noticed you changed the orientation of the coils, did you notice a difference in wicking?

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for trying it, it looks nice! If/when I decide to finally get the Classic, I thought that deck might be a good candidate to try a single coil to see how it performs. I can see where the large chamber would affect it. I do love the look of that deck, nice simple and clean.
Here's a thought....
I could have put the velocity style deck in it and used the block that came with the Ijoy Combo.
Not tried that.
The block would take up some of that chamber space.
I'll give that some consideration for the next build.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I noticed you changed the orientation of the coils, did you notice a difference in wicking?
This is how I "normally" mount the coils but in my November build I was in a rush so when I did it again for pics I did same.
However doing it as in the pics, it opens up the space between the coils for a bit more airflow.
Since the ends of the coils aren't closed by the cotton in the first pics method.
I can't say I actually noticed any difference.
To be honest I didn't even give it a thought until you asked.
Now half tempted to build another one that way so I can do a side by side comparison.

VU Sponsors