Become a Patron!

I'm convinced but lost!

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I love the Profile RDA and the Unity, between the two of them I've got 12 pieces. Imo, the flavor is just about equal. The RDA is just easier to deal with.
agreed, I have too have 10 or 12, lost count awhile back.... but one need patience and wicking experience to master them. :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've been off and on vaping for probably like 5 years. It doesn't help much that my lady still smokes butts. I try my damdest though! I've had nothing but pre built coils and never had the intention of building coils.

I still have my kangertech evod vv with the tank.. paints chipping sadly.
I don't have my imod or ibox can't remember what it was. That was my first one.

After giving up for a long time..smoking butts again... I wanted to get back into. I feel personally that it might be easier for me to really really quit cigarettes if I have something to work for, ie. Coils!
I've been doing well this past year though. Hell I've probably saved like $400 and spent it on different mods! Damn you mods!

There's DNA mods, there's mech mods, squonk mods pod systems. So many!

I hope that somewhat answers your question.
Moving from pre built coils to building your own complex coils can, and does, boost both the flavor performance and the overall vape experience enormously, especially if you are a high wattage vaper like me. There is no comparison.

At just a few watts below 80 is where I don't go below. At 80 was low enough for me as a start, to get used to vaping after I had smoked for more than 20 years, but... I bumped the wattage up to 90 after my first vaping week. After another 3 weeks I had already successfully built my own pair of coils, pic below:

build1.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh now hold on a minute here bucko :) You know I respect your knowledge alot so don't take this as a confrontation at all.

I'm pretty sure you know this, but this is a generalization. Yes RTAs are not as simple to wick as RDAs, but especially in the last couple years it's not hard to find some that are quite easy and provide first rate flavor.

I have some top shelf RDAs and they do provide the very best flavor of all. I wouldn't dispute that. However, now that I think of it, I have some bargain bin RDAs that aren't too far behind, but that's another story.

When set up right, which takes noobs some practice, I have RTAs that are nipping right at the heels of my best RDAs for flavor. With either type, coil placement will play a huge role and of course with all the deck and airflow designs out there now there's a whole range of variables in play. Some atomizers vape awesome or lousy just depending on coil placement. (The Themis pops into mind)

This person is just learning though. Getting her settled and pointed in the right direction, in my view, whatever that's worth, is the priority at the moment :)
What you call first rate flavor I call sub par flavor being touted as first rate by marketing. That's just because I am extremely picky about flavor, and am forced to be that... because I don't want to go back to smoking normal cigarettes.

Just because you can be satisfied with the type of vape you're getting, doesn't also mean that everyone else can be. I don't make those kinds of assumptions. That's the difference between me and people who are biased to the point of remaining in constant denial of the fact that biased is what they are.

To elaborate on this, earlier in the thread you mentioned something about people who like a ton of vapor. A person who is new to coil building might arrive at the wrong conclusion that getting a ton of vapor is what high wattage vaping is all about. It isn't. I vape at high power only because it improves the flavor for me and for how I can enjoy flavor as opposed to can not enjoy, and, I dislike nouvelle cuisine so low or medium powered vaping is not for me─and keep sucking on a vape for 7 whole seconds makes me feel seasick. So nope. It doesn't nip at the heels of what I call flavor chasing. People tend to build a ceiling. Like, "if something can be this good, then probably nothing can be that much better". I get that nothing's terribly wrong with that, and that this is why the problem I have described might have no impact on you in any way. But that doesn't also mean the problem doesn't exist, or that it can't have an impact on any person who vapes. It can. And does.

If you've read my first reply to this thread, then you'll know that I hate having to keep explaining myself to no end. If people still fail to see my point about that, then that's their own problem, not mine, as I'm not the kind of guy who is making all sorts of ridiculous assumptions/insinuations with almost every chance I get. I leave that sort of telltale behavior up to the marketing boys.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What you call first rate flavor I call sub par flavor being touted as first rate by marketing. That's just because I am extremely picky about flavor, and am forced to be that... because I don't want to go back to smoking normal cigarettes.

Just because you can be satisfied with the type of vape you're getting, doesn't also mean that everyone else can be. I don't make those kinds of assumptions. That's the difference between me and people who are biased to the point of remaining in constant denial of the fact that biased is what they are.

To elaborate on this, earlier in the thread you mentioned something about people who like a ton of vapor. A person who is new to coil building might arrive at the wrong conclusion that getting a ton of vapor is what high wattage vaping is all about. It isn't. I vape at high power only because it improves the flavor for me and for how I can enjoy flavor as opposed to can not enjoy, and, I dislike nouvelle cuisine so low or medium powered vaping is not for me─and keep sucking on a vape for 7 whole seconds makes me feel seasick. So nope. It doesn't nip at the heels of what I call flavor chasing. People tend to build a ceiling. Like, "if something can be this good, then probably nothing can be that much better". I get that nothing's terribly wrong with that, and that this is why the problem I have described might have no impact on you in any way. But that doesn't also mean the problem doesn't exist, or that it can't have an impact on any person who vapes. It can. And does.

If you've read my first reply to this thread, then you'll know that I hate having to keep explaining myself to no end. If people still fail to see my point about that, then that's their own problem, not mine, as I'm not the kind of guy who is making all sorts of ridiculous assumptions/insinuations with almost every chance I get. I leave that sort of telltale behavior up to the marketing boys.
I'll leave this discussion for another thread :)

Well. I've ran into a speed bump..

There is now squonks anywhere! After 2 hours of searching online. I've decided that I at least want a dual (battery power alone) and a name I recognize. And regulated.

There are no GeekVape Aegis squonks no Desire cuts or rage. No dovpo dual topsides. No usv mach on3. Nothing! I suppose I can get an rda... At least start making coils and dripping. Just use my sub ohm until I can find one. Sad day.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's the difference between me and people who are biased to the point of remaining in constant denial of the fact that biased is what they are.

Some difference. Look you cut your own throat right there bud. Everyone has a bias, or preference. You can argue all you want against that to no end. Your arguing will not change a fact.

And right there you state your own bias/preference. So yes, everybody has one. You cannot deny having bias or preference.

What I have continually said is I can share my experience, opinion. What anyone else does is whatever they choose. What I do is what I choose. Obviously I have my preference the same as you have a preference. It is a philosophy called live and let live.

Apparently that doesn't suit you for whatever reason. You not only attack and berate me but others who seem to follow similar to that philosophy. Guess what? You're going to find we can go from being empathic, understanding to not caring real quick.

Have a good one.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well. I've ran into a speed bump..

There is now squonks anywhere! After 2 hours of searching online. I've decided that I at least want a dual (battery power alone) and a name I recognize. And regulated.

There are no GeekVape Aegis squonks no Desire cuts or rage. No dovpo dual topsides. No usv mach on3. Nothing! I suppose I can get an rda... At least start making coils and dripping. Just use my sub ohm until I can find one. Sad day.
Black and Gunmetal HERE

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Black and Gunmetal HERE

That's a decent looking mod. Got a Topside Lite myself, the "little brother" to this one. It is the regulated mod with temp control that I don't use. *grin* Mine was on sale from about $70 to down around $30. I just liked the looks of it and for that on sale, figured why not. Tried temp control a bit, didn't care for it. Went to Watt mode and been stuck ever since.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a decent looking mod. Got a Topside Lite myself, the "little brother" to this one. It is the regulated mod with temp control that I don't use. *grin* Mine was on sale from about $70 to down around $30. I just liked the looks of it and for that on sale, figured why not. Tried temp control a bit, didn't care for it. Went to Watt mode and been stuck ever since.
20201009_012501_cr.jpg

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some difference. Look you cut your own throat right there bud. Everyone has a bias, or preference. You can argue all you want against that to no end. Your arguing will not change a fact.

And right there you state your own bias/preference. So yes, everybody has one. You cannot deny having bias or preference.

What I have continually said is I can share my experience, opinion. What anyone else does is whatever they choose. What I do is what I choose. Obviously I have my preference the same as you have a preference. It is a philosophy called live and let live.

Apparently that doesn't suit you for whatever reason. You not only attack and berate me but others who seem to follow similar to that philosophy. Guess what? You're going to find we can go from being empathic, understanding to not caring real quick.

Have a good one.
Now you are confounding personal preferences with bias. Bias is when people talk like you do. In another thread I asked you what exactly it was that you did in order to find out if you might like or dislike true high wattage vaping on complex coil builds─how you compared it to your choice of vaping style. Quickly it turned out that you never actually even tried an atomizer that can be called in some way representative of how I would describe my own personal choice of vaping style. My suggestion to you was to just grab any 24mm or 25mm RDA that can be called decent (...) enough for it to qualify as a fairly reasonable choice for that. I also gave you one semi random example of such an RDA just to get my whole point across... it was the Bonza RDA.

Another suggestion I gave you was to then mount a pair of handbuilt Nichrome 80 tri-core alien coils in it, specifically, using 28g for the three core wires, 36g for the outer wrap wire, at 7 wraps and 3mm inner diameter giving you a 0.20 ohms dual coil build that is suitable for vaping on a regulated mod at around the 90W-100W range. I could have explained in sparkling detail how to get everything right, also including how to fine tune all the variables like the positioning of the coils, how to get it properly wicked up and juiced up, and how to go about the airflow adjustment so that, next, you could have been the final judge. All I got for a response from you was more of the same classical-old persistent denial. It was a dead giveway. The superlative of bias. This is why I no longer give a shit about what you think or care for. You talk about being empathic, yet, you had no clue even in the slightest of what the fuck you were talking about. And you still don't. The coils that you used for giving true high wattage vaping a try were so small in size, their total surface area was so small in fact, they closely matched the description of low/medium wattage coils, and, you tried to use them in an RDA that isn't designed for high wattage vaping, anyway in the first place. You basically just lied about having done your own research on the matter. Pertinently so.

Bottom line: everyone can make mistakes. But some people are willing to learn from their mistakes and are willing to learn from those who already did try various other stuff, successfully. This doesn't mean I'm perfect. Had I been perfect, I would be capable to fix stupid, and, what that also means is I can't help you. That's just because nobody can fix stupid. Not because I am belittling you or anything. Rather, it's because you meet all the necessary criteria of being stubborn stupid.

Now you know why I'm not going to turn my empathy into not caring. It's because I have already done precisely that─not only once, but twice.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mod + RDA + Wick + Coiling/cleaning rod – Element Vape
140 shipped
View attachment 173517

Coils – 50off code= 50% off – reasonable ship fee
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/
15ish shipped,, or more for more coils or wire

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001382807881.html
26 shipped 24 w/new user coupon......From USA wh _____________

180 ish total

Edit: had 2 coiling rods
And there's bound to be wire sales next week from Kidney Puncher and Wire Optim (Lightning Vapes). Wire Optim already has a kinda pre-black Friday sale going.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
And there's bound to be wire sales next week from Kidney Puncher and Wire Optim (Lightning Vapes). Wire Optim already has a kinda pre-black Friday sale going.
Other places may have holiday codes too. Asgard Mini/Topside dual aren't plentiful.
Premades might be good to start with. Just depends on how much they want to bite off in the beginning.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't order coils from Advanced Vape Supply. I'm not referring to the fact that it only has 6 wraps, as you can just add an additional wrap if that's what you want, but... as you can see for yourself it isn't anywhere close to being a tight alien coil:

advancedvapesupply.jpg

To compare, here's how a professionally handmade alien coil of the same exact wire thicknesses (28/36) and inner diameter (3mm) should really look like:

dot-two-alien-coils.jpg

Clearly, the difference is night and day, and, I could tell you more about bias being the only norm in most places on the internet. But in this case I'll just let the bottom pic speak for itself, just to prove another point. :)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't order coils from Advanced Vape Supply.
Well, that's you. I would, and I do. I like them because they have the resistances I want, I get great flavor, and doesn't cost $15-$20-$30 to build with. And I would think those are the reasons of the many others that use AVS. Anyone on the internet can see the visual difference between hand built, machine built, or machine+ hand built.

I think they are a definite way for a 1st time builder to build with while they see what they're getting in to. But they can certainly spend more if they want.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Other places may have holiday codes too. Asgard Mini/Topside dual aren't plentiful.
Premades might be good to start with. Just depends on how much they want to bite off in the beginning.

The Asgard Mini in Satin Black is still in stock here, it appears:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also on choice of wick material you'll find there's two different types which seem predominate. They are cotton and rayon. You might need to play around a bit to figure out which one you like using.

Organic Mushi cotton does well enough for me most of the time. Sometimes though I do appreciate using some rayon. One difference I notice is that cotton bulks up when saturate and will let juice go free once saturate. Rayon doesn't bulk but keeps drawing up juice in say the juice well to stay saturate.

So in no real noticeable time to me at any rate it may seem the cotton is just a little slower soaking up juice. Everyone gets their own feel as to which suits them and how they vape. I couldn't tell you yay or nay on either one. Then, some may even use steel cabling, or quartz crystals to wick. This to me only infers the further subjectivity of vaping over all.

Ultimately, the way you find and choose to vape, that you find right for you, is the right way to vape for you. We don't need to take just whatever comes out of a cigarette pack at least. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
+1 I like that black too :) , it's the one I have.

The black topside dual is no longer in stock at Element. Just the gunmetal.

I had a satin black first, then there was an "incident" and mods went flying off the table, the cap came off my Asgard, and I have not found it yet. I looked until I got tired of looking, then the base of the RDA sat unused for weeks. I finally got disgusted and went to order another RDA, and all that was in stock at that time was stainless steel. So now I have an extra deck that's never been used, and I just put the SS cap on the original deck and put it on my Topside Dual, which is black with blue and gold splatter. I do have a solid black Modshield on it, though, so the SS cap looks good.

Thank you all for your input!

I didn't know rayon was used in vapes. Always just thought organic cotton. To me it sounds like a better choice. I think I will stick to kanthal for now and after looking at people's coil builds I'm hard pressed to not want to try all they same crazy building with kanthal. I do prefer the higher wattage vaping. The triple coils just doing cut it for me. I can stand double but much prefer single. Burning hot!

Now I saw that someone had said you need specific rda for higher wattage or I might have read that wrong. I'm going for easy to build on and get use to it than I'd really like to test my luck with super low resistance builds. I've seen some gnarly stuff!

Again I appreciate all of you through my journey to building!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, that's you. I would, and I do. I like them because they have the resistances I want, I get great flavor, and doesn't cost $15-$20-$30 to build with. And I would think those are the reasons of the many others that use AVS. Anyone on the internet can see the visual difference between hand built, machine built, or machine+ hand built.

I think they are a definite way for a 1st time builder to build with while they see what they're getting in to. But they can certainly spend more if they want.
That's not just me, though. Rather, it's me plus countless other vapers who can taste the difference very clearly, but please don't get me wrong... I actually envy people like you because I wish I could get great flavor from such a very sloppy attempt at building alien coils too. I mean, not being capable to taste this night and day difference would make my vaping life so much easier! :D

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Those AVS coils aren't a sloppy attempt. They are exactly what they want them to be, on purpose. And they don't make any claim to be hand made and say on their pages they are part machine/part hand. Not talking about those Dot.Two aliens like your pic but even builders themselves say those fanciest coils like in coil porn, don't vape well.
So, you put vapers in 2 categories, those that can taste differences and those that can't. :kickbutt:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you all for your input!

I didn't know rayon was used in vapes. Always just thought organic cotton. To me it sounds like a better choice. I think I will stick to kanthal for now and after looking at people's coil builds I'm hard pressed to not want to try all they same crazy building with kanthal. I do prefer the higher wattage vaping. The triple coils just doing cut it for me. I can stand double but much prefer single. Burning hot!

Now I saw that someone had said you need specific rda for higher wattage or I might have read that wrong. I'm going for easy to build on and get use to it than I'd really like to test my luck with super low resistance builds. I've seen some gnarly stuff!

Again I appreciate all of you through my journey to building!
Rayon just alters the flavor for me. For how I like to vape at around the 120W-130W range, or often even much higher than that (as currently I am vaping at about 229W on a series mech), rayon simply doesn't work for me in any way at all. Not sure I quite understand what you mean about dual coil vs single coil. I usually vape on dual, but I also like single from time to time, for the sake of variation. Neither one of both choices will necessarily be hotter or cooler than the other. It merely depends how you build... for the most part anyway. Kanthal A1 can also be used to add more warmth, but even that still also depends on the specific details of what coil(s) you build. (Using more numerous densely packed and/or thicker wire strands can very often give a tendency toward a warmer vape.) The main important reason why I like to avoid Kanthal A1 wire these days is because it ramps up slower and cools down slower compared to Nichrome 80, significantly. My coil build in the pic I posted earlier does use both Kanthal A1 and Nichrome 80, though.

For high wattage you want to choose an atomizer that can deliver the type of airflow that you require in order to not burn stuff up, which is only logical of course, as you certainly can't vape at something like 100W on an MTL type of atomizer. Or maybe you could, in which case I'm hoping one day you could teach me all about that. lol As for low resistance builds, on a regulated mod you can bump into the problem of having too low resistance for the mod to still be able to fire the build. I got lucky the first time, as my first build (the one in the pic) turned out to be 0.1 ohm... any lower than that and my mod would have refused to fire it. But I kinda cheated because if you look closely you can see that those are 5 full wraps on each coil with one coil mounted both legs up, one coil both legs down, whereas, "normally", it would have been just 4.5 wraps with one leg up and one leg down on each coil because it's on a velocity style build deck. lol

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The triple coils just doing cut it for me. I can stand double but much prefer single. Burning hot!

Now I saw that someone had said you need specific rda for higher wattage or I might have read that wrong.

Can agree here that single coil builds suits well. They do so for myself and a number of others.

Some may suggest you use specific RDA for higher, or lower wattage. In my experience and preferences though, find that it more relies upon how one builds, wicks, uses air flow. There are of course a host of other variables, juice thickness, atmosphere. You could possibly go mad sorting out every minute detail.

As for super low resistance builds, go for it you like. Again, in my experience, I find a range between 0.20 lowest to roughly 0.50 ohms highest does well. You can take any advice or suggestion I offer as simply that, too, merely expressing my experience and opinion. You're here seeming to ask for input, I'm offering as are others.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You've been vaping your FTV16 using the .17 single mesh?@ 90-110w? Airflow wide open?
I think at last mention you were thinking to get an RDA first and drip it?

For hand built coils, there are members here too, that make/sell them.

You've been vaping your FTV16 using the .17 single mesh?@ 90-110w? Airflow wide open?
I think at last mention you were thinking to get an RDA first and drip it?

For hand built coils, there are members here too, that make/sell them.
Yes. 90-120 but stay between 100 and 110. Wide open. Yeah I think I should get an rda before squonk, mostly because I can't decide what I want. Also, some of the regulated squonks can fire super low like 0.003 low

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also, some of the regulated squonks can fire super low like 0.003 low

I may seem cowardly or over cautious. Don't care. Think even on regulated mod, I would be worried to the point of sh**ing bricks firing something that low. Again though, if that's your bag, go pack it and carry it yourself. *chuckles* And no, I'm not meaning that as a snide remark.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes. 90-120 but stay between 100 and 110. Wide open. Yeah I think I should get an rda before squonk, mostly because I can't decide what I want. Also, some of the regulated squonks can fire super low like 0.003 low

Think you might have an extra zero in there. 0.03 is lower than anything I've seen.

High watts on an RDA, you want to be sure to get one that has plenty of airflow, otherwise it will be hot as the fires of hell. It's also important to have a little space between the top of your coils and the spot where your lips hit the drip tip; there again, the heat is the thing.

Some of these other guys can give you advice on those kinds of RDAs; I think the only one I have that I'd trust to fire low like that is my Asgard Mini and possibly a Goon. Maybe a C2MNT or a Kennedy. @~Don~ ?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Think you might have an extra zero in there. 0.03 is lower than anything I've seen.

High watts on an RDA, you want to be sure to get one that has plenty of airflow, otherwise it will be hot as the fires of hell. It's also important to have a little space between the top of your coils and the spot where your lips hit the drip tip; there again, the heat is the thing.

Some of these other guys can give you advice on those kinds of RDAs; I think the only one I have that I'd trust to fire low like that is my Asgard Mini and possibly a Goon. Maybe a C2MNT or a Kennedy. @~Don~ ?
Without reading the 81 previous responses and seeing that Carambrda has posted... I have to believe everything has been covered...

But I will say the 4 RDAs you mentioned are Good to Go... But all are very different in subtle ways of air flow and coil positioning needed to run lower builds without experiencing "Hot" vape in your pie hole ;)

But I am sure again its been covered by Carambrda in depth...if not in here.... in multiple posts... in multiple threads on VU ;)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The 3 mods you posted elsewhere: specs say as low as .05/.05/.08 . I honestly don't think you'll end up below 1.0, but who knows. I suggest you get an inexpensive RDA that isn't RDL, single or dual coil, and see for yourself what direction you want to go.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Hohm Tech Hohm Wrecker G2 is a regulated mod that can fire coil builds down to 0.007 ohms, and, the Hohm Slice can actually even fire down to 0.000001 ohm. Neither one of both these mods is a squonk.

All regulated mods these days have built-in "low resistance protection". It means that they refuse to fire the coils if the resistance is below the minimum number that they require in order to be capable to fire the coils, and will display an error status message like "resistance too low" or "atomizer short". Built-in safety protection features can still fail, but regulated devices can't draw so many amps that would be the near-equivalent of letting the batteries be short circuited. The internals of the chip will melt and that's it. (This has also been explained by Mooch, or "Battery Mooch" on YouTube, in one of his videos that I can't remember which.) Either way, the coil build's resistance has zero impact on how many amps a regulated device will draw from the batteries. That's just because amps drawn from the batteries in a regulated mod are NOT drawn by the atomizer directly, but instead are drawn by the buck circuit or buck/boost circuit inside the regulated device, and, that part is controlled by the chip in such a particular way that this number is always calculated, repeatedly at regular time intervals, for the entire duration of the puff. To calculate amps as a function of the desired power (watts) output level, the chip has to monitor BOTH the resistance of the coils AND the volts that it gets from the batteries. As a direct result from this, if the resistance falls outside the range that the regulated mod is designed to accept, the chip can not compute, like what also happens when you try to force a pocket calculator to divide by zero.

Now, there are some rumors that a low coil build can explode. But those are rumors, and, the safety of the actual coil build itself─outside of the battery safety that we've already just covered─depends on coil stability and power vs how fast the coil ramps up, at least if we can assume that you're not doing any toxic stuff like preheating a titanium wire to give you toxic layer of titanium oxide or shit like that. Yes, metal wires like Nichrome 80 can still melt, but... with an alien coil or similar build, you still got the outer wrap wire surrounding the core wires so not a lot of current jumps across adjacent wraps touching each other, and not a lot of current jumps across anywhere if you know how to work out all the hot spots by dry firing (gently pulsing at low wattage and strumming them with the tip of ceramic tip tweezers, repeatedly, and pinching somewhat to move wraps closer together) your newly built aliens after you mounted them properly into the fancy (or not so fancy) RDA.

The key basic things to remember aside from thorough visual inspection and measuring the ohms each time before proceeding with the next logical step are to not over-tighten the post screws as to avoid squashing the legs of the coil, ensuring that cuts are clean and nothing touches the deck, that no stray clippings are inside the deck anywhere also including in hiding places like between the side of the deck and the post, re-tightening (again, while not over-tightening...) the post screws after the dry firing is done, realigning the coils with the airflow position, distance, and height─and with the inside of the cap while also re-ensuring nothing will be touching, and finishing up by giving it a nice long glow lasting a couple of secs, but never glow it beyond red-orange (or an awful lot less than that if you're talking SS 316L wire─which is another reason why I stick to using Ni80 wire). Don't brutalize the wire. Don't scratch the wraps, and avoid temperature shock. Don't let the build deck overheat when dry firing/burning. And, most importantly of course, don't be stupid. lol

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have to believe everything has been covered...
Nope. :p

One important reason why I would recommend the Asgard Mini RDA is this:
As you already know, replacing the deck on the Asgard Mini with this deck will multiply the ohms of a dual coil build approximately by four... I'd say it offers usually close to 98% effectiveness against ohms nazis. :D

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So then, after 85 posts, we've got it wrapped up. Good. Can now return to watching the leaves of Autumn. :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Those AVS coils aren't a sloppy attempt. They are exactly what they want them to be, on purpose. And they don't make any claim to be hand made and say on their pages they are part machine/part hand. Not talking about those Dot.Two aliens like your pic but even builders themselves say those fanciest coils like in coil porn, don't vape well.
So, you put vapers in 2 categories, those that can taste differences and those that can't. :kickbutt:
That's what I said. They aren't a sloppy attempt. They're a VERY sloppy attempt, and that isn't putting it mildly. That's putting it VERY mildly. ?

EDIT: A professionally handmade alien coil, although it can of course be argued that it does have great visual appearance, is still a far stretch away from what drives people more toward the art of building the fanciest of the fancy looking creations. If you really think that not a lot of people can taste big differences between a loosely spaced alien and a properly tight one, or that those who can taste it are being mass delusional, then you are really nothing more than a prime example of ample bias on the internet─what they call "noise".

To be clear, I never said that EVERY vaper should be dissatisfied with what I call a mediocre vape. I'm only suggesting that, after a given person has already relapsed from vaping back to smoking normal cigarettes a few times, maybe it means the time has come to get more serious about exploring what separates a mediocre vape experience from first rate, and explore it by walking the extra mile of learning what's out there as opposed to facing the risk of running in circles comparing one mediocre vape experience to the next mediocre vape experience. The point is that you don't know something until you know. That's why doing fair comparisons is the only key to finding out what TRULY are the confines of one's own personal preferences. For that to work, you need to throw away all your presumptions and spend time, possibly even spend vast amounts of time, playing with all the important parameters to learn from that experience. Until then, everything matters. I find that subtle differences in flavor performance are magnified depending how the vape feels like. High powered vaping in cohort with varying complex details of advanced coil building some coil types such as aliens opens the road to a whole new set of opportunities in both the realm of the flavor and the realm of the "feel"─like, the level of restrictiveness in airflow, the speed of inhalation, the warmth of the vapor, density, wetness, and texture.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
That's what I said. They aren't a sloppy attempt. They're a VERY sloppy attempt, and that isn't putting it mildly. That's putting it VERY mildly. ?
In order for them to be sloppy or very sloppy, you'd have to show us a few others that are part machine made, so we can compare. Then we still decide for ourselves.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The 3 mods you posted elsewhere: specs say as low as .05/.05/.08 . I honestly don't think you'll end up below 1.0, but who knows. I suggest you get an inexpensive RDA that isn't RDL, single or dual coil, and see for yourself what direction you want to go.

I think Kidney Puncher still has the C2MNT clone for $14.95. Might be a decent candidate.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Me either. I guessed a set of coils in my head and hit it on the money.

N80 3x24/34, two wraps around a 3mm jig (5mm legs). One coil would be .061Ω. There's usually lots of ways to get a specific reading or range. I don't know of many people trying to build that low intentionally though.

Ya know. Y'all make it difficult and I'm sure VU contributes to the fact, it might be very hard for me to learn from my own mistakes. I can buy stuff from you all, you can recommend the world to me!

I still like the fact that I'm new to building and seeing what out there, I strive for that. I want to learn. I want criticism and I want to better my self in this, what could be considered art or building.

I want to try the wrongs *to some* and the rights *to some*.

That's not saying that what all of you have given won't be taken into consideration. I will live. And I will learn. I'm a picky prick and I want what I want. So be it.

Again. I immensely appreciate you all!

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ya know. Y'all make it difficult and I'm sure VU contributes to the fact, it might be very hard for me to learn from my own mistakes. I can buy stuff from you all, you can recommend the world to me!

I still like the fact that I'm new to building and seeing what out there, I strive for that. I want to learn. I want criticism and I want to better my self in this, what could be considered art or building.

I want to try the wrongs *to some* and the rights *to some*.

That's not saying that what all of you have given won't be taken into consideration. I will live. And I will learn. I'm a picky prick and I want what I want. So be it.

Again. I immensely appreciate you all!
Best thing you can do is try a few and a few dif coil setups. So you can dial in on what your preferences are.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
+1 I like that black too :) , it's the one I have.

The black topside dual is no longer in stock at Element. Just the gunmetal.
I ended up with the Matte Black Asgard Mini. I was using Red aluminum cap one and didn't care for it too much. I know it sounds silly but I blamed the cap lol. I knew it would be a fantastic RDA from user accounts. I bought more in the colors I wanted while I could find them (even before I liked it). I wanted black but a steel black cap. Found it at some place in New Jersey that I can't remember the name of.

I ended up playing with my red one until I figured it out. I got the leg length and coil placement right, and it vapes pretty awesome. Now I have two more Asgard Mini's and never even used them yet. Turns out I didn't need a special cap ?. They're awesome though and I don't regret buying them.

I still haven't straitened out my RDA for Vaping. It spit something fierce and I tossed it aside. I keep forgetting to try it again but I've heard those are awesome too. I'll get to it some day.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In order for them to be sloppy or very sloppy, you'd have to show us a few others that are part machine made, so we can compare. Then we still decide for ourselves.
Nah. All that I have to show you is that they don't mention anything about it being part machine made anyway in the first place so then here it goes:
Anyone who has successfully managed to build an alien coil entirely by hand already knows that, to get it tight, you have to make perfectly sure your decore is pristine and matches the core wire thickness, and that you have to hold it at the correct angle while fusing the cores together. If you just slap it on there not worrying about the tightness, what you get is a spaced alien that everyone who is only just a tiny little bit serious about advanced coil building already knows is a job done poorly. To get me and others like me to want to vape on shit coils like that, you'd have to pay thousands. This is what Big Tobacco and Big Pharma wants: to trick everyone into thinking that vaping doesn't really help smokers stop smoking, when in reality there are tons of vapers out there who are relapsing back to smoking not because vaping doesn't work well, but because people like you are actively propelling a mediocre vape experience that works well enough for many, but that didn't work well enough for those who gave it a try before they wrongfully concluded that it isn't worth the extra trouble and they went back to smoking as a result from that wrong conclusion about true high wattage vaping (true = not the useless crap that is so often being mass marketed as such!) on professionally handbuilt advanced coil builds. To get the best from the high wattage vaping style that it will be satisfying enough, mediocrity has to go, and has to make room for true professionalism and excellence.

So cut the noise, please, and, please cut the noise a few years ago when cutting it could have made a difference between smoking and not smoking to those we've lost to noise, and who aren't likely going to come back. I'm here because recent studies have shown vaping is not much more than doubly as effective as classical NRT. I'm here to improve that number, and to improve it by encouraging more people to find out what's out there, that not everything that's out there is rubbish despite that mass marketing rubbish is easy as pie. All it basically takes is to pay a few students who can write up another rave review or some positive "customer" feedback. Bottom line? Had I tried to vape the same way people like @MyMagicMist say they tried high wattage vaping, I would've told you exactly the same thing he did when he concluded "this isn't for me". Unfair comparisons are exactly that: unfair comparisons that create strong bias. I only ask that those who deliberately choose to make biased decisions as for what they prefer should stop trying to convince others that "what's good enough for me because it has worked for me should be good enough for everyone else that it WILL work for everyone else". It will NOT work for everyone else. Vape egalitarians are NOT here to help. Rather, they're here to make sure that those who say are lost more likely are going to STAY lost. So here ya go:

BrownAfraidAgouti-small.gif

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just for the sake of reference, to better understand my point about "new opportunities" to maybe want to consider trying to explore.

First off, here's what I have been using in my Asgard Mini RDA... quad-core 26/36 Ni80 aliens at 3mm ID, 0.08 ohms dual coil:

asgard mini.jpg
asgard mini 1.jpgasgard mini 2.jpgasgard mini 3.jpg

ultem Asgard Mini.jpg

That's on a single battery tube mech with a Samsung 30T battery, but it can also be used on a dual battery regulated mod that is capable to fire coils that low, like on a dual battery DNA 250C mod such as the Odin DNA (by Dovpo × Vaperz Cloud × Vaping Bogan), just to name only one example of a mod that can be a suitable choice for this one purpose among various many other things.

At the moment I'm vaping on a series mech with two Samsung 20S batteries in series, tri-core 29/36 Ni80 aliens at 3mm ID, 0.25 ohms dual coil that is the equivalent of, when the batteries are fully charged, 229 watts or thereabout. Here it is in my black ultem Carnage 1.5 RDA:

29g aliens.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As for the C2MNT RDA and cheap clones. Please consider to support manufacturers of decent vape hardware. Don't buy clones excepting if you just don't care that they're the ones doing all the hard work that will also be necessary for quality to continue to survive. If the difference is between not smoking and smoking due to not being able to afford a vape, then get a clone. The authentic C2MNT is not that terribly expensive BTW:
You could decide to order some nice coils from them also, have them sent together with the RDA to save on shipping cost. Personally, I, prefer the original CSMNT, that came before the C2MNT. The former has been unavailable everywhere AFAIK for a long time... which is a pity IMO because the latter is NOT compatible with this cap here:
I own a whole bunch of these Shawty caps because they let me reduce the chamber size of my CSMNT RDAs, which produces better flavor IME. The Shawty caps are in fact the only reason why the CSMNT is still high near the top of my list of absolute favorite flavor chasing RDAs. The drip tip that is shown in a pic in my previous reply on top of the Asgard Mini with ultem cap from the separately sold "Ultem Set for Asgard Mini" is made by District F5VE also. The people who work at District F5VE are extremely nice people. I really mean that sincerely.

Welp. I've made my purchase. Went with the Wotofo Diadic squonk and the asgard mini rda. I'm gonna see what I can manage with kanthal for now. At least get me use to it. I'd love to share my first coil build with all of you. Thank you everyone!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Nah. All that I have to show you is that they don't mention anything about it being part machine made anyway in the first place so then here it goes:

It's there. In more than 1 place. I'm sure you seen it and just chose to try to find something, refutable.... And no, its not hard to see.
As for the rest
:tldr:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Welp. I've made my purchase. Went with the Wotofo Diadic squonk and the asgard mini rda. I'm gonna see what I can manage with kanthal for now. At least get me use to it. I'd love to share my first coil build with all of you. Thank you everyone!
Congrats, you'll love Asgard Mini

VU Sponsors