Become a Patron!

I'm convinced but lost!

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The brand named UD (Youde) makes a handy little tool called a Cotton Hook, and that I very highly recommend:

2702401-4.jpg
I've never seen that specific tool before. I thought I'd seen everything :D

I've been using THESE that actually work really well for alotta stuff. The sorta thin blade shape makes em really handy.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I've been using THESE that actually work really well for alotta stuff. The sorta thin blade shape makes em really handy.

Been using similar, only having ceramic tips. Sure they cost a smidge more but do a fair piece of it for the extra cost. They help tweak out coil hot spots as well as fluff cotton. Can use the tips of them to "brush" over gunked coils on a low pulse firing.

From 2:14 to 4:00 is how I like to prepare my cotton:

BTW, I don't actually scrub it with my fingernails or anything like that... just keep rubbing it in one direction on all sides while at the same time also pausing a few times to peel off anything that doesn't want to cooperate, to make it look and feel more like all the cotton fibers are starting to get aligned somewhat. You'll also notice that, the longer you keep on rubbing, the thinner the piece will become, because you are gradually causing it to be more stretched out some. So, as for those spots where it feels like it's still a little bit thicker in comparison to how it should feel like according to you, rubbing in those spots more numerous times will help with getting the correct thickness all along the entire length, albeit I don't really focus too much on the specific part of it that will not be pulled through the coil nor will be pulled inside it, as I can still always thin that part out later anyway─after the tails are cut.

After I cut the tails, I gently thresh out anything that can be threshed out by not actually pulling on it. I know a lot of people just comb out the tails, like almost raking them instead, but I also know that you can do a far better job than they can... I just know that you can. :)

Cotton is like a type of natural philosophy, or Zen. The brand named UD (Youde) makes a handy little tool called a Cotton Hook, and that I very highly recommend:

2702401-4.jpg
Ooh fancy. I've just been using my curved needle nose tweezers. Seems to work well. I also enjoy changing my cotton. Changed it every day so far. I think I know how much I need now. I really really like this coil I'm on now. ( See above pic) taste is far superior to sub ohm tank even firing it between 90 and 100w

I have 2 ten foot spools of staggered fused clapton coming as well. Can't wait!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, update. Third coil in three days.

*probie smack*

Want to fill the ocean with wire? *grin*

I have had coils last up to six months, or longer. Then, I've also had coils in that I swapped out after a week or two. I understand though. I used to swap out coils daily as well. :)

You can do dry firing to help clean. Pulse at low wattage, or just quick second or two pulses. What you're striving to do is "burn off" the gunk of the juice without warping the coil from overheating or quick not "normalized" temperature changes.

Then you can re-wick once you get it cleaned up as good as you can eye ball it clean. Also check out your deck for debris, clear it before wicking. Sorry if I'm running all the motions together in a blur. I just go through the process as second nature now. Muscle memory makes it a blur to me, one fluid movement.

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, update. Third coil in three days. Haven't tested yet but ohms at .27 and I did two 28g kanthal twist... I watched a video on how to make a clapton..............I kept breaking wires. I'm gonna run out so fast. View attachment 174298
Not discouraging you from spinning your own wires! But just want to mention that you can streamline the process to any degree up to and including simply buying prebuilt coils. For me spinning wire was very frustrating, not to mention expensive. Prespun wire was just easier.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I have curved sharp tipped tweezers like the ones shown in your pic... they are part of my Coil Master V3 Kit that I bought on the first day of my vaping life. But I never use them, as the cotton hook is loads better TBH. The sharp tip of the cotton hook you can carefully wiggle between the cotton fibers in those areas where you want to loosen them a little bit further, use the side of the tip to bend the tails of the wicks down before pushing them underneath the coils─or moving them wherever they need to go instead, as that obviously depends on what type of build deck you have─with just a single precise movement such that the tails remain unmolested as a result, then lift the tails back up just a little bit after that, and keep nudging in all the right places, mindfully till everything looks just how it should─when looking from any direction, also including everywhere underneath. After the juicing up part is finished, I also use the side of the tip to swipe across the wicks till nothing sticks out where it might somehow interfere, but a lot of people can't do that successfully, as they just end up squashing the wicks, noticeably so, even if they try as hard as they can to not apply any pressure while swiping. Some would call me OCD, but a near invisible fluff of cotton touching the outside of a coil is already enough to make me start to cough after I vape it, and, a wicking job done more or less poorly can shorten the lifespan of the wicks by more than a whole week despite I actually refused to believe that myself until not much more than just a year ago.

wicks.jpg

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I grabbed a TFV18, and RBA, fantastic atty. For anybody with TFV-12 parts, the TFV-12 glass fits the TFV18. I'm using a huge acrylic bubble I added to my 12, on the 18 now. 10Ml + capacity on the 18 now. The locking top is way overdue, and the Wotofo/Smok RBA is great. So is the single coil mesh coil it comes with. The dual, is sort of blah. I'm going to get another tank, and 4 or 5 of the RBAs. The 12, could be tricky to build, especially with the triple RBA, not the 18. I don't even close the airflow to refill it, it hasn't leaked a drop. And the seal at the top, has been moved under the swing cap, so the fill port is now huge, and you can just slam all 10 Ml in in a second or two. And not once have I had it dump in my pocket like the TFV4/8/12 did. The juice inlets on the RBA are at the bottom, so you can get every last drop out of the tank.

Best tank in a long while.

Last edited:
As for the C2MNT RDA and cheap clones. Please consider to support manufacturers of decent vape hardware. Don't buy clones excepting if you just don't care that they're the ones doing all the hard work that will also be necessary for quality to continue to survive. If the difference is between not smoking and smoking due to not being able to afford a vape, then get a clone. The authentic C2MNT is not that terribly expensive BTW:
You could decide to order some nice coils from them also, have them sent together with the RDA to save on shipping cost. Personally, I, prefer the original CSMNT, that came before the C2MNT. The former has been unavailable everywhere AFAIK for a long time... which is a pity IMO because the latter is NOT compatible with this cap here:
I own a whole bunch of these Shawty caps because they let me reduce the chamber size of my CSMNT RDAs, which produces better flavor IME. The Shawty caps are in fact the only reason why the CSMNT is still high near the top of my list of absolute favorite flavor chasing RDAs. The drip tip that is shown in a pic in my previous reply on top of the Asgard Mini with ultem cap from the separately sold "Ultem Set for Asgard Mini" is made by District F5VE also. The people who work at District F5VE are extremely nice people. I really mean that sincerely.
I love the OG csmnt, its hard to get the rda back then, now even harder lol, does the shawty cap increasing flavor?

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bit late to the thread but nothing revolutionary has actually been released. If we're talking DL Kayfun v5 for restricted or reload for a tad more airflow. I got rid of all my other attys when I got these. I tried loads of cheaper attys and none compare :))

Alright...

Totally convinced I want to build coils. I really like the idea of RDA but it just wouldn't work for me especially at work.

RTA it is! You win!

I own many tanks with prebuilt coils, I never knew if they were DTL or MTL, Smok TFV16 is DTL, I know that. That's what I'm on now. Great flavor, not a single problem with it.

Is MTL more like a cigarette?

There's a few I've been looking at. I don't think I want a top air flow. I'm sure y'all can convince me otherwise.

The list is

Oumier Bulk RTA 28mm (I like the capacity and mm)
Wotofo profile uniity
And advenken manta v2 a little small but like the looks.

Haaaalp!
One easy way to get started with rebuilding is to get an RBA deck for the tank you have now, I am sure Smok makes one for the TFV16, they will usually fit dual 2.5 or 3mm coils. They are generally pretty good, and less costly than a dedicated RTA. I particularly liked the RBA deck for the TFV12, YMMV. I even had the RBA deck for the big baby beast, I liked it better than the drop in coils that I bought.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
Not to interrupt but if your looming for any squid industries stuff go to facebokk Facebook and join Eric's group SVG

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors