Become a Patron!

I'm down to my last functional mod - Here's my list, which three would you pick?

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
I'm down to my last functional mod so I need three. Which on this list would you suggest or leave off? I need some more tanks as well so tell me if you recommend the accompanying tanks. The only one that i'm pretty sure about is the Proton, should I go with the Plex tank instead of the Scion 2? The G Priv is popular in these parts but I'm done with Smok - at least for now.

Kits
Innokin Proton with Scion 2 Sub-Ohm Tank $61
Vaporesso Revenger with NRG Sub-Ohm Tank $55
iJoy Shogun UNIV Mod with Katana Sub-Ohm Tank $58
GeekVape Aegis Legend with Aero Mesh Tank $65

Mods Only
Voopoo Drag (had one before & loved it) $48
Smoant Naboo $50
Smoant CYLON 218W TC $43

I'm considering buying another tank, never had the TFV-12 and heard some good stuff about the Horizon Falcon One for flavor and one for clouds.

Here are the units that didn't make the cut, is there one that I am overlooking, I vape all day so I need a mod that can take some chafing.

Wake Mods Bigfoot
Aspire Speeder
OBS Bat
Oumier Rudder
Think Vape Ruger
Druga Foxy
Coolfire Ultra
Vaporesso Polar

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm down to my last functional mod so I need three. Which on this list would you suggest or leave off? I need some more tanks as well so tell me if you recommend the accompanying tanks. The only one that i'm pretty sure about is the Proton, should I go with the Plex tank instead of the Scion 2? The G Priv is popular in these parts but I'm done with Smok - at least for now.

Kits

Mods Only
Smoant Naboo $50
Smoant CYLON 218W TC $43

I'm considering buying another tank, never had the TFV-12 and heard some good stuff about the Horizon Falcon One for flavor and one for clouds.

Here are the units that didn't make the cut, is there one that I am overlooking, I vape all day so I need a mod that can take some chafing.

Wake Mods Bigfoot
Aspire Speeder
OBS Bat
Oumier Rudder
Think Vape Ruger
Druga Foxy
Coolfire Ultra
Vaporesso Polar

First, welcome to VU. If it were me I'd go with the Proton, Cylon and Aegis kits. Great mods and the tanks that accompany them are good as well. The Aegis is a great carry mod and can take a beating.

I wouldn't overlook the Druga Foxy either. That's a really good mod and the quick release feature for the atty is a good thing. I have accidentally tightened down a dripper too tight before and wish that I would have had a mod with that feature. Just wanted to put that out there. I hope this helps and would be curious to know your final decision in the end.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Laurent

Member For 4 Years
If you are down to you last mod I'm assuming that some mods you purchased have not stood the test of time. Is it possible to list the mods (brands) you have had which haven't lasted and how long you've owned them. Are you abusing them or do they just stop working? Is it simply that you get what you pay for? I ask, as I've never had a mod fail but I'm careful with all electronic products. Sill sporting my ancient I phone 5s with an Otter box Defender case.

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
First, welcome to VU. If it were me I'd go with the Proton, Cylon and Aegis kits. Great mods and the tanks that accompany them are good as well. The Aegis is a great carry mod and can take a beating.

I wouldn't overlook the Druga Foxy either. That's a really good mod and the quick release feature for the atty is a good thing. I have accidentally tightened down a dripper too tight before and wish that I would have had a mod with that feature. Just wanted to put that out there. I hope this helps and would be curious to know your final decision in the end.

OMG! I love the quick release because I change juices with my tanks and that would be handy. The round robin is useful as well I'll explain in my next response.
I'm liking VU, I'm on another forum and answers are few and far between whereas here, I can keep up with the responses!

Another thing, I like the side door and the simplicity of the Foxy. It may have to be a fourth choice because the Proton has been my top choice, the Legend fits my style (it's rugged), I can't justify leaving the Cylon off the list, it's a darn good mod.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Kits

Mods Only
Smoant Naboo $50
Smoant CYLON 218W TC $43

Wake Mods Bigfoot
Aspire Speeder
OBS Bat
Oumier Rudder
Think Vape Ruger
Druga Foxy
Coolfire Ultra
Vaporesso Polar
The Clylon and Naboo are both very good mods. I love mine. They both have similar menu systems but the Naboo's screen in much larger. I like the way it feels in my hand too. The Cylon has more of a classic feel and can hold large atomizers without overhang if that matters to you.

The Falcon tank is great. It's their coils that make those babies hum. The tanks top fill caps are a little rough threading them on, especially the resin versions. They just feel cheap. But they make a Falcon King that has a slide top fill and uses the same coils. Like I said, their coils are what make the tank.

I don't have a TFV12 but I do have a Cigpet ECO12 which is kind of similar. They both can use the same coils. Only the Cigpet was ten bucks opposed to twenty five. They are fog machines.

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
If you are down to you last mod I'm assuming that some mods you purchased have not stood the test of time. Is it possible to list the mods (brands) you have had which haven't lasted and how long you've owned them. Are you abusing them or do they just stop working? Is it simply that you get what you pay for? I ask, as I've never had a mod fail but I'm careful with all electronic products. Sill sporting my ancient I phone 5s with an Otter box Defender case.

Awe man, my first post had the full history but then I thought it was too much. So I'll try to be brief:
  • Three years ago Promised wife I'd give up cigars but didn't
  • My Bro, our Bud & I ran into some guys selling vape products at a cigar event and we bought pen styled mods for less than the cost of a Cuban
  • Next morning I was at their store to get "real mods" the options were a Kangertech Subox Mini $60 or a Smok Alien $280 - We spent the $60
  • For them the Subox was fine they MTL, I went DTL, needed more air so ordered 3 Aliens from Fasttech, mine got an atomizer error after 6 month.
  • Bro's Alien had peeling paint but would still be alive today if he hadn't dropped it in a pail of water
  • Bud's died after a long life on the docks.
  • Because mine died suddenly I borrowed my brother's (he used it only when he can't get good Cubans) and ordered a Voopoo Drag from 101 Vape
  • As a backup I ordered an IPV Vesta from Fasttech
  • The Drag was stolen from our retail store after I left it lying around
  • The Vesta I still have but I dropped it some time ago and now the down button doesn't work
Gotta finish this later

joha_wa_alhimar

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awe man, my first post had the full history but then I thought it was too much. So I'll try to be brief:
  • Next morning I was at their store to get "real mods" the options were a Kangertech Subox Mini $60 or a Smok Alien $280 - We spent the $60

I'm sorry, but for a Smok Alien to be worth $280, it'd better have been literally made out of pure gold. More to the point of your post, however, out of all the mods you listed, the only one I've had is the Cylon. It is a nice mod, though. Using SS316L with TC I kind of had to overestimate the temperature, but it still worked fine and they're good looking. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine when the mod he was using was at the end of its days.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
Nothing against any of those tanks, I would just say investigate how much replacement coils are for those tanks.

example....
You can find Vaporesso EUC coils for $6-$10for a pack of 5.
HorizonTech Falcon replacement coils usually $14-$20 for a 3 pack.
Just sayin' that it can add up

I've been on my own mod quest recently, but I'm a student at the Cheaplitist Academy.
(respect to Headmaster @The Cromwell)

Lately Sourcemore.com has some good prices. You might find what you want there.
https://www.sourcemore.com/mods-pvs.html
can't go wrong with that Drag or the Aegis though

Good luck with your search and welcome to the VU.

edited to give proper attribution to TheCromwell

Last edited:

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
Nothing against any of those tanks, I would just say investigate how much replacement coils are for those tanks.

example....
You can find Vaporesso EUC coils for $6-$10for a pack of 5.
HorizonTech Falcon replacement coils usually $14-$20 for a 3 pack.
Just sayin' that it can add up

I've been on my own mod quest recently, but I'm a student at the Cheaplitist Academy.
(respect to Headmaster Cromwell)

Lately Sourcemore.com has some good prices. You might find what you want there.
https://www.sourcemore.com/mods-pvs.html
can't go wrong with that Drag or the Aegis though

Good luck with your search and welcome to the VU.

You are so right we end up spending a whole lot more on coils over time. I will go back over my list with coil prices in mind. By the way I'll defend my local vape store's mod prices by explaining that vaping was new here so they may have been selling a dozen of them in a week - they weren't buying at a volume that would allow them to get any price breaks. There's Duty, Stamp tax & V.A.T. before they even got to utilities & salaries.

BTW, Where does Sourcemore ship from?

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are so right we end up spending a whole lot more on coils over time. I will go back over my list with coil prices in mind. By the way I'll defend my local vape store's mod prices by explaining that vaping was new here so they may have been selling a dozen of them in a week - they weren't buying at a volume that would allow them to get any price breaks. There's Duty, Stamp tax & V.A.T. before they even got to utilities & salaries.

BTW, Where does Sourcemore ship from?
I forget where they ship from, but will be a long wait. It is NOT fast shipping by any means.

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
If you are down to you last mod I'm assuming that some mods you purchased have not stood the test of time. Is it possible to list the mods (brands) you have had which haven't lasted and how long you've owned them. Are you abusing them or do they just stop working? Is it simply that you get what you pay for? I ask, as I've never had a mod fail but I'm careful with all electronic products.
I am a bit callous with my devices the only one to quit on me prematurely is the Alien though.

Sill sporting my ancient I phone 5s with an Otter box Defender case.
I have the S9 (resistance is futile), but only because the phone company gave them away to all of their customers with unlimited plans.

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
I forget where they ship from, but will be a long wait. It is NOT fast shipping by any means.

That's cool I'm used to Fasttech taking weeks, I'll order one unit stateside and the others from East.

BTW if anyone here is gonna be around for a min, I heading over to to POD section, I need help finding my Bud & Bro some killer Pod mods

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT

They have 2 different warehouses. Shenzhen and Hong Kong.
Kinda sucks because, if your not careful, you can end up paying 2 different shipping fees.

When I was putting items in the cart, the site does show which items ship from which warehouse.
I had items from both sites before I remembered my self imposed boycott on mods with built-in batteries and that I can get $6 a pack EUCs from FT anytime.

tejas240

Member For 2 Years
If your in america Boyblue, there is a lot of stateside websites to use with great prices, Eightvape, Directvapor even has free shipping. There are a lot more.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Of the ones mentioned I own three: The Proton, the Cylon, and the Aegis.

I might have the Drag; is that the one that looks like a cassette tape box? If so I never liked the feel of it. Edges felt uncomfortable.

My Proton had a battery door problem. After a while it became so loose that it would no longer make contact with the batteries unless I held it just right. Of course this meant every time I wanted to use it I had to wait for it to start up. There's a YouTube video of someone who had the same problem. That mod is retired. It has some non-blunt force cosmetic damage which would prevent me from returning it.

The Cylon was good for a while but then the screen went bad on it. Smoant refused to replace it but did send me two replacement screens. I have yet to go out and buy an allen wrench small enough to take it apart.

Neither of the above two went through any trauma that would cause their issues; they were all factory defects - whether by design or just happenstance.

The Aegis is my go-to mod. It doesn't do anything fancy; it just works, which is all I want out of a mod anymore. I have a Modefined Sirius which has the same battery door mechanism as the Proton and I'm just waiting for that to start giving me trouble. On numerous occasions that door has opened unexpectedly. I probably hadn't secured it properly, which lends to the question of why would it work if the battery door wasn't secured properly? It's still a go-to mod but I'm shopping for a replacement, which brought me to this thread.

I would recommend the Aegis unless you want to use some of the advanced features the other mods have.

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
So, I'm planing to go with these three
Innokin Proton with Scion 2 Sub-Ohm Tank
My Vape Store $61
Coils $5 - RTA $8

Vaporesso Revenger X with NRG Tank
Sourcemore $50
Coils $4.67 – RBA $11 (TFV8)

GeekVape Aegis Legend with Aero Mesh Tank
Sourcemore $57
Coils $2.80 – RBA $11 (TFV8)

I don't know if coils prices can be compared because coils all have different life expectancy. If there were one with a rep for extended life and it also was less expensive I might moke coil price a factor. As it stands my choices are based on a lot of user feedback and a bit of in depth research. Funny thing is it turns out that vapebeat.com has two of the three on their list of best, new vape mods. They also list the Vaporesso Polar and I'm considering taking it over the Revenger X because it has voltage mode and a supposedly improved chipset.

Coincidently (if I'm not mistaken) the tanks for these kits all use the same size coils.

Below are my runners up.

My Vape Store $58
Coils $2.67 – RBA $10

Voopoo Drag 2 + UFORCE T2 Sub-Ohm Tank
Sourcemore $54
Coils $2.80 – RBA Freemax fireluke

Smoant Naboo + Naboo Mesh Tank
Sourcemore $51
Coils $3 – RBA Not Available

Aspire Speeder Revvo
Eightvape $40
Coils $3 – RBA Not Available

Vaporesso Polar with Cascade Baby SE tank
Eightvape $57
Coils $3 – RBA $11 (TFV12 Baby Prince)

OBS Bat
My Vape Store $35
Coils 5/ $10 – RBA $11 (TFV8)

Coolfire Ultra + Scion Sub-Ohm Tank
My Vape Store $60
Coils $5 - RTA $8

Last edited:

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
GeekVape Aegis Legend with Aero Mesh Tank $65 for sure ... falcon king uses any falcon coil and last i saw those coils are cheap like 8.95 a 3 pack.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
So, I'm planing to go with these three
Innokin Proton with Scion 2 Sub-Ohm Tank
My Vape Store $61
Coils $5 - RTA $8

Vaporesso Revenger X with NRG Tank
Sourcemore $50
Coils $4.67 – RBA $11 (TFV8)

GeekVape Aegis Legend with Aero Mesh Tank
Sourcemore $57
Coils $2.80 – RBA $11 (TFV8)

Coincidently (if I'm not mistaken) the tanks for these kits all use the same size coils.

I'd make dang sure they are the exact coils. Could be dangerous otherwise.

Is there a reason you aren't settling on one tank and are getting three different ones? If you're just seeing which one you like the best that's cool.

Personally I prefer to use the same tank with all units. This way the parts are interchangeable. If I need an o-ring they all match up. If the glass breaks (not yet, knock on wood) I can use the spare from any of them. And of course I'm using all the same coils and am not worrying about if they are truly compatible.

Watch the battery door on the Proton. I may have gotten a bad one, but others have pointed out that they come loose. Check out this video. The guy isn't really shaking it that much. Mine started doing this at first. Then it did it whenever I placed it on a table. Eventually I would be in mid-vape and it would shut off. Unless I held it perfectly still and straight up and down it would shut off. Now it won't make a connection at all unless I squeeze the battery door against the mod forcefully.

Last edited:

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Unless they made some changes recently, the Scion 2 is a coil tank while the Aero is mesh. I don't think you can interchange these. Not sure about the NRG because the only video I could find on that is from mid-2017.

Last edited:

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
I'd make dang sure they are the exact coils. Could be dangerous otherwise.

Is there a reason you aren't settling on one tank and are getting three different ones? If you're just seeing which one you like the best that's cool.

Personally I prefer to use the same tank with all units. This way the parts are interchangeable. If I need an o-ring they all match up. If the glass breaks (not yet, knock on wood) I can use the spare from any of them. And of course I'm using all the same coils and am not worrying about if they are truly compatible.

Watch the battery door on the Proton. I may have gotten a bad one, but others have pointed out that they come loose. Check out this video. The guy isn't really shaking it that much. Mine started doing this at first. Then it did it whenever I placed it on a table. Eventually I would be in mid-vape and it would shut off. Unless I held it perfectly still and straight up and down it would shut off. Now it won't make a connection at all unless I squeeze the battery door against the mod forcefully.

Although I've had a few mods, I've basically only used Smok tanks. It's been the TFV8 Baby, TFV4 Micro and TFV8 Big Baby so I am sort of shopping for alternatives. I am getting RBA's for all of the tanks because coils here are expensive, I buy online and I do procrastinate so I will run out. Both local vape shop carry only smok coils so Smok compatibility is a plus.

The proton has been in production for a while so hopefully the battery door issue has been fixed.

thor363

Member For 3 Years
Two Cylons dying here with similar issues, both had various quality issues, and support is non-existent. As for a tank if you decide to go mesh, though I don't like the fireluke mesh for it's fill, I love the flavor and the time I get out of the coils. Eightvape has them cheapest, and I'm an all day vape...literally, and I go two weeks on a coil in SS316 mesh. Not sure but kanthal might be even better. Inked atty makes a 10ml tank for the fireluke mesh also since it's a juice eater.

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
That's a definite Vaporesso Polar over the Revenger X, it's just an overall improved mod in addition, voltage mode is a deal maker.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Kits

Mods Only
Smoant Naboo $50
Smoant CYLON 218W TC $43

Wake Mods Bigfoot
Aspire Speeder
OBS Bat
Oumier Rudder
Think Vape Ruger
Druga Foxy
Coolfire Ultra
Vaporesso Polar
I just got a new Legend!!! I love it it is an awesome mod. I bought it at a brick-and-mortar that's why way overpaid. And it came with that Arrow tank. Don't like it. I slapped my OG crown on this Legend and it Chuck's like a beast. I just can't say enough about it it is an awesome mod and hopefully will last me more than a year

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
Wow, I never came back to give the results of my search. I ended up getting two mods, an all black Legend kit that came with the Aero mesh tank and a Drag (mod only). I also go a couple of Original Falcon tanks with the RTA's. I had a friend coming over so I ending buying everything from a store close to her location and that was about all they had other than Smok stuff. I loaned the Drag to my nephew and it got destroyed after he forgot it on top of his car and pulled off.

Master Rahl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
electrictobacconist.com vapesocietysupply.com and elementvape.com are my usual go to sites.

Master Rahl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've had a handful of smok devices and they dont last. Currently I have 3 USV mach on3 squonker with profile rdas. They are rugged and reliable but the company closed down. They are still available on some sites and I highly reccomend them if you can find them. They do however require a proprietary squonk bottle so I would load up on those as well. I've had my first on for 2 years now and it's still running great and still on my first squonk bottle. I also have a drag which looks like hell but is still kicking hard and a exilis snowwolf pod mod open system. Love my devices but will never purchase any smok devices or tanks again.

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
Should have looked at the date posted originally lmao
Actually you're right on time,I'm back at it again. I didn't do much research this year because I thought I'd decided on a mod The Aegis X. but I'm having second thoughts. Do I really need another bulletproof mod :)

Here are the mods I'm now considering:
245g Geek Vape Aegis X
158g Voopoo Drag 2
143g Innokin Proton
120g GeekVape Nova
102g Voopoo V Mate 200W
107g Vaporesso Gen

I've included the weight because with a 300g Legend, I'm thinking I'd like something significantly lighter as a second device.

Last edited:

Master Rahl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
With the weight consideration I would personally go with the drag 2 or possibly the nova. My drag is pretty beat up and survived a tom boyish teenage girl before she sold it to me. Still works great despite appearances. I really can't say much about the nova aside from I have heard and read good things. Although if you like your legend I am sure you would like the Aegis X as well. Even though it is a bit heavier what could be a closer backup if something happened to your legend. (I already knocked on wood no bad juju intended.)

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
My thoughts exactly, I'd even go with the original drag, it was my go to mod before the legend and I think it's an outstanding device.

Just now, I would consider the new Voopoo ARGUS GT. It's really pretty and It has the well known Gene chip.

I believe the ARGUS GT will become the Drag killer.

Enviado desde mi Mi A2 mediante Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Drag was reliable, but the Drag 2 has issues with the fire button. The Gen had firmware issues that crippled TC, but AFAIK those issues have been resolved... the Axon chip is very nice, and full-featured. The fact the Gen uses aluminum for the body makes it VERY noticeably more lightweight, yet highly durable also, as aluminum is known in the aviation industry for its very high strength. The silicone layer gives a little extra protection against impacts, and, the 3D texture makes it comfortable to hold, and it doesn't get slippery. Personally, I, think the Argus GT looks like just another futuristic toy that caters to young adults with the typical mindset of teenagers.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As for the VMate. That huge screen─do we really need another mod that looks like it can play videogames?─is a fatty fingerprint MAGNET, and is bound to get scratched up... possibly it will crack on impact. Reminds me of the Revenger from Vaporesso. Not a fan of slippery. Also, the Up/Down button combo is the exact same size/shape and opposite to the fire button so, if you pick up the mod without looking, you always end up swiping your finger to feel the split between the up and down, which is annoying. And the battery doors are cheap feeling.

VU Sponsors