Become a Patron!

I'm having trouble with my RDTA.

I'm still pretty new to using an RDTA. About 2 going on 3 months. Basically my issue is it doesn't smoke the same from one coil setup to the next. One will be good and the next will be popping hot juice in my mouth or I'll be getting a mouthful of juice. It also pops and gurgles some times and other times it doesn't. The only thing I can think that's different is the size of cotton I use. Some times it's bigger sometimes it's smaller. I'm using a prime tank. I've post pictures of it taken apart and put back together.

rdta pieces.jpgrdta.jpg

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You want your cotton thick enough that it is really a challenge to put through the coil in order to avoid problems and ensure quality flavor profile from your juice. When you use cotton that it too thin, you also run the risk of having it burn in half.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm still pretty new to using an RDTA. About 2 going on 3 months. Basically my issue is it doesn't smoke the same from one coil setup to the next. One will be good and the next will be popping hot juice in my mouth or I'll be getting a mouthful of juice. It also pops and gurgles some times and other times it doesn't. The only thing I can think that's different is the size of cotton I use. Some times it's bigger sometimes it's smaller. I'm using a prime tank. I've post pictures of it taken apart and put back together.

View attachment 199085View attachment 199086
Your RDTA should never smoke, we vaporize juice.

The above reply is the advice you're looking for, it's all in your wicking. The cotton needs to be very snug in the coil and thick enough in the tails to prevent the flooding that you mentioned.

Over time you'll figure out that wicking your RBA comes down to trail and error. When you get the vape you like without issues, duplicate that every time.

Thanks. I think I'm making it thick enough according to your replies. I was thinking I was making it too long. Actually using too much wick. Is that possible to cause my my flooding issue?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
What is the resistance of your coil(s) and what is your wattage setting? How is the airflow set? Wide open, halfway open? Do your coil(s) have gunk on them? These things matter, too.

It's really helpful to find and watch a few videos on building and wicking the tank you are using, as @BobsHere has pointed out. Some of us still do that when we get a new atty, even after we've been building a good while.

I've been trying a few coils. I'm trying to find one I like best. One is 45-65 watts .18 ohms Claptom. I like it the least. Another is 60-70 watts 0.13 ohms It's second on my list. Thiss is the one I like the best, but I'm not thrilled with any of them. 50-80 watts 0.15 ohms. When I change them after 3 or 4 days the coils have a black crust on them. I keep my airway about 3/4 open. I'll check out the video. Thanks

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some clear pictures of the build would help. The right amount of cotton inside the coil needs to be correct and is the same regardless of atomizer. How much you thin from the tails and length varies.
There are a whole lot of fine folks here that can spot things from pictures.

I took two pictures. One is of the setup that was getting juice in my mouth and popping hot juice in my mouth. I then built a new wick setup so everyone could see it without juice on it.
wick2 (1).jpgwick2 (2).jpg

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I took two pictures. One is of the setup that was getting juice in my mouth and popping hot juice in my mouth. I then built a new wick setup so everyone could see it without juice on it.
View attachment 199092View attachment 199093
Thought the picture in your first post was a mesh deck but it was blurry and you could be using a coil in it I suppose.
What RTA is that? The tanks are a bit out of my wheelhouse. I do mesh but not tanks. Mesh wicking is a whole other animal from coils and tanks are different than RDA'S.
Maybe someone with tank experience will drop in. Watch all the reviews you can find on your tank to see what others are doing. They vary from one to another.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Is that a Zeus X Mesh RTA? My vision isn't all that great, and I didn't realize you were using a mesh tank.

Isn't it @Vape Fan who is such a whiz at mesh RTAs? I have some and have done an alright job at building them, but I got lucky. It's a whole different deal, guiding someone else.

The pictures the winner. Profile M RTA. I posted complete pics of earlier in this post. BobsHere wanted to pics of the build. I got a ton of juice in my mouth when I used the new one pictured.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
But you must admit, not very good pics.

You can try it like this guy.
Notice how he's using cotton strip made for mesh but he removes some first. And, pay close att to how tight it seems in coil when he moves it back and forth for the last time or 2. Each time he does that it get a little looser. I personally would pull off a little more at first to make it just a smidgeon looser in the coil but try like he does first. Same with tails, I think they can be thinned more as long as you don't over-thin the very ends, but try it like he does..Not a lot of wick left when it's done, but the very ends go in the wicking slots first so they're at the bottom. Just try to copy what he does and let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't pay any att to the wattage rating of any coil.
Let resistance and what you like be your wattage guide.

Of the mesh I've tried, I like Damn Vape's DV-05 the best.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
BTW, mesh runs cooler than conventional rebuilding coils.
If a person cranks up the wattage past about 60W on mesh strips to try to warm up the vape, then they might think about adding a different rebuildable.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
16678037068326579426752488071042.jpg

Since we are talking RDTA here (which is what I use) you can see the wick in my coil here. I could use 2 coils, but I prefer just one. I put the tails down to the bottom of the reservoir. Using 0.45 ohm coils at 25 to 30 watts, I get excellent flavor and little clouds. That's my personal preference.

If you want to blow huge clouds, go with someone else's advice on ohms and wattage.

Thanks for the answer on resistance and ohms. That's always confused me. Some people use one term and others use the other. Now I know they mean the same thing. I made an earlier post about which resistance people thought was best for flavor with my setup. I never got a satisfactory answer. Lady Sarah said her resistance is 0.45. I've been testing three different coils. I'm not happy with the flavor of any of them. Their resistance is between 0.13 & 0.18. Maybe I need to go a lot higher? I don't care about clouds of smoke.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
It's vapor, not smoke...VAPOR. Not even close to being the same.
If you mean best being the .13 or the .18 for flavor...pick one.
Mesh doesn't really get much higher than that.
@Lady Sarah wasn't talking about .45Ω for mesh...look at the coil in her [actual] RTDA. What you have is a mesh RTA.

Get yourself an rta or rdta that uses regular coils. Then the coils can be any resistance.

I tried a prime RDTA similar to Lady Sarah's. I posted pics of it. It uses 4 rods to wick the juice from the tank to the coil. One of the rods is in the picture. I also put the wick in the reservoir. I didn't like it. It popped hot juice in my mouth a lot and I got a lot of dry hits. If someone could recommend a RDTA tank that uses a wire type coil they think I'll like the flavor profile of, I'd appreciate it.
As far as the smoke vs vapor thing goes, I'm a former cigarette smoker. Old habits are hard to break. prime.jpgprime4.jpg

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Prime RDTA? Because the one in the pic is Profile RDTA...another mesh.
The popping in either atty is in the wicking. If you can get the wicking right you'll get great flavor and no spitback.
Having said that, man does not live on mesh alone.

What mod(s) do you have?

You're right. It is a Profile RDTA. The 2 pictured on this thread are the only two rebuildables I have.
the first one is a Profile M RTA. I went to the website where I bought the second pictured one looking for a specific name. This is what I found. Wotofo Profile 25MM RDTA.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What I showed in the pic is the Pyro IV RDTA. I bought the last 3 from a B&M store since they offered me a decent deal, and these things are getting scarce to find... especially since they come with a squonk pin. I use these as my daily attys.

I also have iJoy combo RDTAs for squonking as well, but they are not as reliable. Read reviews before purchasing. Just because something looks cool or is priced just right does not mean it is worth spending money on.

You really want something with coils, not mesh. Then, you want to roll that cotton between your fingers to make it super tight. That will make a fat wick fit through easier. To prevent dry hits, keep your wick wet at all times after putting it through the coil. Burnt cotton tastes terrible. 🤮

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You're right. It is a Profile RDTA. The 2 pictured on this thread are the only two rebuildables I have.
the first one is a Profile M RTA. I went to the website where I bought the second pictured one looking for a specific name. This is what I found. Wotofo Profile 25MM RDTA.
You have Aegis Legend?
While you learn to mount a coil and wick it, what do you think about an RDA. With that you just drip juice in it to vape it. They are the easiest to build and no leaking unless you drizzle too much into it. Not like it would be wasted $ either. You could always vape it between other atties once your on a roll. Unless you decide RDA is your preferred vape.

I tried an RDA. I didn't like having to juice all the time. I'm to lazy for an RDA. Yes my base unit that holds the batteries and gives me power is an Aegis legend.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Here's a couple, I'm sure others will have more.
+

VU Sponsors