Become a Patron!

Information Suppression, Part II

WarpedFactor

Member For 2 Years
After having a Quora Answer deleted and later reinstated. I have answered other vaping related Questions. The latest is my most recent, and arguably, the most cautiously worded, mindful of Quora's bias. This Answer was deleted only a couple of hours after it was posted. I immeditaely appealed, and the response was just as immediate. The Answer is permantly rejected, not subject to further appeal. It looks like the propaganda war is well on...

Your answer to this question has been deleted by Quora Moderation.

Quora.Denial.Vaping.Illnes.png
  • What things do I need to know about vaping illness?
There are at least two facets to this Question. I will try to address both of them.

First the current spate of vaping illness in the US. That outbreak looks like it can be attributed to black market, THC, vaping mixtures. It is hard to know for sure because the CDC has not recommended testing for THC. It is known that every case reported in New York was THC related. At any rate, there appear to be oils (specifically, vitamin E oil) involved. No oils are used in commercial, vaping products.

In spite of this recent, vaping asscociated, illness outbreak, there are tremendous numbers of those who have been using commercially available, vaping products for years without serious health complications. Again, this points to an issue, not related to common, commercial, vaping products.

Long term health concerns of vaping are unknown at this time, and won’t be known for probably another 20 years. If you are vaping now, you are essentially the Guinea pig. No one should suggest that vaping is absolutely safe. We just don’t know. However, short term studies of vaping, and the constituent ingredients of vaping products, propylene glycol, glycerol, food flavorings, and nicotine, have shown few deleterious health effects, as used in vaping. There may be minor health risks with nicotine, but the nicotine concentration is far less than cigarettes, and typically less than other Nicotine Replacement Therapies. Some food flavorings contain diacetyl, which can impact the lungs. However, since this was reported, many producers have ceased use of flavorings containing diacetyl. Even in products containing diacetyl, the levels were far lower than contained in conventional, tobacco cigarettes.

Inhalation studies of propylene glycol and glycerol (vegetable glycerine), the principal ingredients in vape liquid, have been shown to possibly produce minor irritation, but no significant health threat, at levels far in excess of vaping norms. While both propylene glycol and glycerine have many industrial and commercial uses (yes, even anti-freeze), both are widely used in food products and pharmacology. Propylene glycol and glycerine used in commercial, vaping products are food grade, USP certified, and often, kosher.

As to the safety of vaping, a study in the UK showed vaping to be 97% safer than cigarettes. So, not as safe as not vaping, but certainly safer than smoking. In the US, The US, Centers for Disease Control studied the safety of a vape shop, where vaping was a constant occurrence. The report is linked here, but the Conclusion was…

Employees were exposed to detectable levels of diacetyl and 2,3-pentanedione in the air while working in the vape shop. Although the measured concentrations were below all applicable OELs, to better protect the health of employees we recommend that the employer implement a policy prohibiting vaping in the work place with e-liquids that contain diacetyl and 2,3-pentanedione. The concentration of other vaping-related chemicals that we measured were also below their relevant OELs. Employees should be trained on proper chemical handling procedures and the need for consistent use of chemical protective nitrile gloves when handling liquids containing nicotine.

An “OEL” is the Occupational Exposure Level. That’s right, that foggy, vape shop was as safe as any other American, work environment.

No one, in good conscience, would recommend that one should just start “recreational vaping”, but if you are a smoker who wants to reduce cigarette usage, or quit cigarettes entirely, it may be an option to consider.

**DISCLAIMER**
I am not a medical professional, nor a researcher in this field. I am an informed, product end user. I do not advocate that anyone, least of all, minors under the age of 21, consume vaping products. The choice to vape, or not to vape is an individual and personal choice for informed adults, just as smoking is. Approximately 480,000 deaths are attributed to smoking cigarettes in the US, each year.

Last edited:

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
sounds like you had one mod target you for some reason in part one then you got admin involved so they follow your activity and this time censored you and your challenge sounds like it might be a good idea to either avoid answering anything you can not certify with i am am trained in the field in question in this case either medical or clinical despite the disclaimer i would report the staff to admin since it seems your being unjustly censored

WarpedFactor

Member For 2 Years
sounds like you had one mod target you for some reason in part one then you got admin involved so they follow your activity and this time censored you and your challenge sounds like it might be a good idea to either avoid answering anything you can not certify with i am am trained in the field in question in this case either medical or clinical despite the disclaimer i would report the staff to admin since it seems your being unjustly censored

I have to ask, do you see anything wrong with my answer, other than reasonably opposing the current narrative?
I actually think the problem is that Quora users are reporting the Answers and demanding action.
My other vaping answers are, for now, still untouched. If it were a Moderator, all of them would be gone.

Last edited:

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have to ask, do you see anything wrong with my answer, other than reasonably opposing the current narrative?
My 2 cents, you clearly don’t support the narrative that’s being pushed. Now hush and let the vape bashers tell the story lmao! This is a totally new situation, I have “conspiracy nut” friends that are believing every single word said against vaping but they believe the Moon is an alien base.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I actually think the problem is that Quora users are reporting the Answers and demanding action.
My other vaping answers are, for now, still untouched. If it were a Moderator, all of them would be gone.
i would suspect it is the uncited claims

always use this "The most important thing is to have each question page become the best possible resource for someone who wants to know about the question" as a general guide i would also track the answer they allow to compare hell id report them as well since your censored should all questions just be removed

WarpedFactor

Member For 2 Years
i would suspect it is the uncited claims

always use this "The most important thing is to have each question page become the best possible resource for someone who wants to know about the question" as a general guide i would also track the answer they allow to compare hell id report them as well since your censored should all questions just be removed

It would be very helpful if Quora would tell you what "policies" were violated, rather than telling you to look it up. Sorry, IMHO, unless they do, it is arbitrary and capricious.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It would be very helpful if Quora would tell you what "policies" were violated, rather than telling you to look it up. Sorry, IMHO, unless they do, it is arbitrary and capricious.
someplace do that so they can arbitrarily change the rules without member knowing and that is what may have happened to some of your post.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Actually it was interesting to read your view on vaping safety. It may not be the currently held view, but we really can’t be 100% sure about safety. It’s a calculated risk.
I hope you decide to stay here on VU, if only because your shit won’t be deleted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The only part of the CDC's recommendations I am only slightly on board with is the amount of vapage in a typical vape store. Not because I think I'll get sick, but they ought to have some sort of ventilation to blow the vapor away. When you think about it, you're walking through clouds of vapor that have literally been inside of some stranger's lungs. It's kind of creepy from that perspective.

WarpedFactor

Member For 2 Years
The only part of the CDC's recommendations I am only slightly on board with is the amount of vapage in a typical vape store. Not because I think I'll get sick, but they ought to have some sort of ventilation to blow the vapor away. When you think about it, you're walking through clouds of vapor that have literally been inside of some stranger's lungs. It's kind of creepy from that perspective.

Well, the CDC report showed that there was no contamination in a vape shop, beyond safe, Occupational Exposure Levels. As for, "walking through clouds of vapor that have literally been inside of some stranger's lungs", you do that anyway, since you are constantly walking through air that someone else has breathed. The only difference with vaping is, that you can see it.

WarpedFactor

Member For 2 Years
Actually it was interesting to read your view on vaping safety. It may not be the currently held view, but we really can’t be 100% sure about safety. It’s a calculated risk.
I hope you decide to stay here on VU, if only because your shit won’t be deleted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, unless chased off, I plan to stay ;) As for my views on vaping, I do vape... I am a chain vaper, and before that, a chain smoker. However, I do know there are risks involved, and that I really am a Guinea pig. I accept that, and will never blame anyone else for my choices. I strongly feel the the choice to vape, or not to vape is an individual and personal choice for informed adults, just as smoking is, and that the individual must own their choices, and responsibility for them. If my choices lead to my death, that's on me, and nobody else. I don't feel the government should do anything beyond warning folks of actual dangers. The ultimate decision is up to the individual. I left my Mom & Dad's home and their rules, almost 50 years ago to make my own choices. I resent the government trying to make my choices for me.

Last edited:

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Well, the CDC report showed that there was no contamination in a vape shop, beyond safe, Occupational Exposure Levels. As for, "walking through clouds of vapor that have literally been inside of some stranger's lungs", you do that anyway, since you are constantly walking through air that someone else has breathed. The only difference with vaping is, that you can see it.

Again, I'm not concerned with the health aspects.

I've had to clean VG residue off of the windows plenty of times. Never had to clean air off, so it's not quite the same.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is kinda creepy, but consider this - whenever you're in any crowded store, you're huffing in someone's breath. Just can't see it, doesn't mean it goes away. Goes back to whole visual thing. Sneezing is kinda funny or kinda gross depending on the final results - but when you see the particles and realize it hits people 5-6 people away. Yep. Welcome to planet earth, we're all breathing someone else's air and if it wasn't a vape, it'd be breath.

VU Sponsors