Become a Patron!

Innokin Ares 2 MTL RTA Review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

The Ares 2 isn’t a new product, it’s been around for about a year – in that year Innokin has also released the Ares 2 LE. However, as far as I can see the LE version is just a cosmetic upgrade to the standard version which is still on sale.

There are 22mm and 24mm versions of the Ares 2, this review is based on the 24mm version of the Ares 2, I assume that the 22mm version performs exactly the same, but that is just my assumption.

DSC_0124.jpg

More Images are here

What do you get?

Note: there seems to be at least two different versions when it comes to accessories.

• Ares 2 24mm MTL RTA
  • 4ml smoked glass tank
  • 2×3mm spaced round wire coils
  • 1×spare drip-tip (not compatible with child-proof cap)
  • cotton pad
  • 1m round wire
  • Phil’s build tool (2.5mm/3mm coiling rod)
  • Dimi’s build tool (threaded coiling rod)
  • Vape band
  • Screwdrivers
  • Spare O-rings/silicon fill seal
So, yeah – you get lots of stuff, most of which is useful.

DSC_0118.jpg
What’s it like?

Beauty is subjective, but I don’t find the Ares 2 to be an attractive RTA – I can live with the knurled pattern on the airflow control ring, but I don’t like the exposed plastic airflow holes, or the gloss black finish. The LE version deals with some of these issues, but there are more attractive RTAs on the market.

While I will complain about the aesthetic details of the Ares 2, there is no denying that it’s a well thought out and functional design, with some great details, such as the airflow control ring clicking with each setting, and the child-proof drip-tip/top cap.

Build and wick

The Ares 2 has a very familiar GTA style deck that gives more than enough room for a 3mm coil, securing the coil requires a little finger fuckery and the use of the supplied coiling rod to keep the coil in place while tightening the screws, I found that one finger on the coiling-rod and one on the leads does the trick.

There is one issue with coil placement, the deck has two large ridges that prevent your wicks from getting in the way, while these are useful to rest your coiling rod on, they do prevent you from lowering the coil really low when using a coiling rod, you can remove the rod and push the coil down with your fingers, but this isn’t ideal.

Wicking is simple, just cut the wicks a little longer than you’d imagine and it’s a very standard wicking procedure, no tips or tricks required.

• Build one - I went with one of the supplied 3mm spaced round wire coils, this vaped well at 10-15w throughout the airflow range, flavors were clear with both fruit and pastries and the throat hit was nice.
  • Build two - I went for one of my standard MTL builds – 2.5mm 0.65ohm 30g superfine fused clapton. As expected, this worked better around 18-22w and airflow fully open. What surprised me was how well it performed once I dropped the power to 16w and closed the airflow to one hole – the flavor was still good, with warm and thick vapor and the throat hit was excellent – overall this was a very satisfying vape.

DSC_0075.jpg

Airflow

The Ares 2 has two options when adjusting airflow

Firstly you have an airflow control ring with five holes, with the largest being 2mm and the smallest being 8mm, you can either open multiples holes at one time through a large slot, or one at a time through a single hole, each airflow hole clicks into place which is a very nice touch.

Secondly, under the coil you have a disk which Innokin are calling cross airflow control - this allows you to adjust between a wide slot and a single hole hitting the underside of the coil, this is adjustable with a screwdriver while a build is in place.

While you can just about get a very restricted direct lung hit from the Ares 2, it isn’t very comfortable or rewarding, stick to MTL and the airflow range is perfect.

Conclusion

While the flavor is good, there are better MTL RTAs for flavor chasing – however the Ares 2 is about more than just flavor, get the right build in it, and it’s an extremely satisfying MTL vape with an excellent throat hit.

Disclaimer

The Ares 2 was sent for the purposes of this review by Sourcemore who are currently selling the regular version for $21.29 (reduced from $32) and the LE version for $22.70 (reduced from $33.50)

VU Sponsors