Become a Patron!

Innokin iSub-B Sub Ohm Tank

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the iSub-B Sub Ohm Tank from Innokin. The iSub-B Sub Ohm Tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Timmy from Innokin.

https://www.innokin.com/tanks/isub-b/

Introduction

Innokin along with Aspire are possibly the most respected manufacturers amongst vapers due to despite catering for different vaping styles carry on regularly releasing products to help get smokers to switch to vaping. This however is a tank for the already established DL vaper and the 6th generation of their sub-ohm tank the iSub. Called the iSub-B it makes use of the latest coil innovation with their own Plex3D technology and the recent wicking innovation we have seen from the likes of Horizontech and Freemax using a mixture of wood pulp and cotton. The iSub-B in my opinion is a looker and the iridescent straight glass looks gorgeous when the light catches it, but it's not just got it's looks and innovative coils going for it as Innokin have also introduced a piston style anti flooding mechanism which works as a juice flow control while filling. So i'll stop my chatter and give the iSub-B a good look!

In The Box

Contents:

1x iSub B Tank (0.35Ω Coil)
1x PLEX3D Coil (0.35Ω)
1x Vape Band
1x Spare Glass
1x Spare O-Ring Set
1x Quick Start Guide

Aesthetics

The iSub-B comes in the usual cardboard draw style packaging that Innokin products come in and on opening the first thing i noticed was the light catching the iridescent glass giving a rainbow effect. I received the Blue version which has a metallic Blue look and comes with matching Blue Cobra style 510. The other colour options are Black, Gun Metal and Stainless Steel, all come with matching drip tip. As already mentioned it comes with a pre-installed iridescent straight glass, 3ml standard or 2ml with the TPD version and up top is a standard 510 fitting Cobra style drip tip so you can use your own. The top-cap tapers in towards the top and has a smooth finish it also looks like it is 2 pieces has there is a groove that looks like a joint but this is cosmetic as well has useful for gripping when unscrewing. The base is quite a wide section being in two sections and again has a smooth appearance, the lower airflow control section protrudes out from the upper section which again helps when adjusting the airflow.The base of the tank has etched safety marks and the 510 with threaded housing pokes through the base as this is attached to the coil, the iSub-B is definitely not hybrid safe. The look of the tank is very appealing to the eye in my opinion and the build quality is high quality.

iSub-B Specs and Features:

Size: 24 x 51mm
Capacity 3ml, 2ml (TPD version), 4ml with bubble glass
Twist to open Top-Cap.
‘Four Point’ Adjustable Airflow.
High Quality Stainless Steel and Rainbow tinted Pyrex Glass.
Automatic fill-shield Prevents Flooding When Filling.
510 Replaceable Mouthpiece.
Durable 510 Connection.
Compatible with All Innokin iSub Coils.
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Blue, Gun Metal, Stainless Steel

iSub – Plex3D Coils Specs and Features:

Next Generation 3D Mesh Coil Technology
Plex3D Pattern with ‘Micro-Grooves’ Boosts Flavors.
Ultra-Rapid Heat-up and Cool-down Extends Coil Life.
High Efficiency Coil Power Flow.
Organic Cotton and Wood-Pulp Wicking.
30 – 55 Wattage Range (0.35Ω KAL)
Plex3D Coil is Compatible with Innokin iSub Tanks.

iSub-B's Various Parts

The iSub-B starts with a standard fitting Cobra style 510 drip tip up top that as mentioned matches the colour of the tank. The top-cap unscrews using the dummy joint for grip, once off you are left with a wide open tank so filling is done by simply directing your liquid between the glass and the piston which houses the coil. The glass is sunken into the base section where it is sealed with an o-ring, this helps keep the glass secure so it doesn't just come off while filling. Removing the glass is easy though so no hassles changing for the bubble glass and although quite secure when filling just don't be heavy handed so the glass comes off and you get e-liquid everywhere. The iSub-B needs to have this wide open fill method to accommodate the piston anti flooding mechanism and how it functions and as after using the iSub-B i wouldn't say it's a con as it would just be clumsy human error to have the glass come off while filling. There are 3 different glass sizes, the standard version comes with a 3ml straight glass, the TPD version a 2ml straight glass and then also included is a 4ml bubble glass, the straight glass is iridescent and looks fantastic when the light catches it. The base is made up of two sections, the bottom unscrews which has a double wall for airflow control, the outer wall has dual cyclops which can be lined up both sides with a series of 4 large holes, apart from the airflow control this bottom section is a hollow shell with a central hole for the 510 pin and threading to fit through as the 510 and threaded housing is on the bottom of the coil. The upper section of the base is what the glass fits too and has housing for your coil to get press fitted into place, on 2 sides there are protruding rails so the coil can only be fitted a certain way so everything lines up perfectly, inside the housing is a couple of o-rings to give a good seal. Once a primed coil is pressed fitted into place and the bottom of the base screwed back on it's just a matter of filling the tank, leaving to stand for a couple of minutes and off you go. All the machining, threading and tolerances are spot on which doesn't surprise me being a tank from Innokin.

The Coils

You get supplied with 2 PLEX3D coils which are Kanthal with a manufacturers target of 0.35ohm, they are recommended between 30w-55w. The PLEX3D coils are not mesh they have a unique look which you will see in the picture, they both heat up and cool down much quicker than other coils which both increases their longevity and allows them to give great flavour and cloud production at relatively low wattage's compared to other "mesh like" coils. The coil has both grooves and what look like saw teeth edging for the purpose of increasing surface area to give superior flavour. The PLEX3D coils for the iSub-B also use a mixture of wood pulp and cotton which i know from using coils from both Horizontech and Freemax also give almost zero break-in time, efficient wicking and again superior longevity compared to traditional cotton wicking. If you already have the iSub and have coils lying around, or maybe their is a coil for the iSub you still love using then they are fully compatible with the iSub-B

Anti Flood System

I have been loving this innovation from Innokin, yes we have seen the idea before but not to my knowledge implemented as well as with the iSub-B. Most vapers complain about the gurgling (even e-liquid in their mouth) they get caused by the coil flooding during filling in worse cases it can also cause e-liquid to leak through the airflow and on to the device and in the past we have seen juice flow control which seem to of gone out of fashion. I can see why manufacturers stopped using juice flow control as it was a manual system that required the vaper to remember to close it off themselves before filling, that wasn't the real problem though. The main issue with juice flow control manual systems is as i have experience on more than one occasion with my Triton Mini is forgetting to re-open it after filling causing burnt coils because i had stopped the supply of e-liquid to the wicking. The great thing about the iSub-B's anti flood system is it's fully automatic always coming into play when filling and automatically going back to normal operation when vaping. Most tanks that use press fitted coils have a housing inside the tank to fit it into, the one on the iSub-B as a sturdy spring and acts like a piston automatically rising or lowering as you unscrew and screw down the top-cap, simple idea but then usually all the best ideas are!

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Performance

Keep in mind that the iSub-B really floats my boat as low wattage DL vaping covers about 80% of how i tend to vape, i MTL the other 20%. I normally will have cons even if quite petty but i just can't fault with this tank. The coil came out at 0.34ohm and after trying various wattage's i found the flavour was the best between 40w and 50w with cloud production i would expect to get vaping about 30w higher. The airflow is plenty for the PLEX3D coils and i found when vaping at 50w i had 3 of the 4 holes open, when dropping down to 40w i closed it down to 2 holes and this is what i settled on. At 40w i found the flavour great and more than enough cloud, so although the flavour was equally as good at 50w i went for efficiency. The airflow is smooth and gives varying amount of restriction but like i said with all 4 open it's more than enough in my opinion for the PLEX3D coils. Break in time is very minimal and i would say the performance for flavour and cloud production is on par with the Freemax Fireluke 2 tank but at only half the wattage so much more efficient on your batteries.

Conclusion

Great tank, i personally have no cons!

Very good build quality
Nice finish in 4 colours
Iridescent Straight glass
Aesthetically pleasing
Spare bubble glass
Capacity 4ml (bubble glass)
PLEX3D coils
Wood and cotton mix wicking material
Break-in almost zero
Smooth airflow
All threading and tolerances spot on
Excellent flavour
Very good cloud production
Low wattage for style of coil
Piston style anti flood system
Coil longevity
Innovation
Other iSub coils are compatible

I would once again like to thank Timmy from Innokin for supplying the iSub-B for the purpose of this review.

https://www.innokin.com/tanks/isub-b/

I love this tank and have had it and been using it for the last month. However, I think it needs a coil change and I, for the life of me, cannot get the current coil out to place a new one in. Can someone, in layman terms, tell me how the hell to do this??!!?? Thank you in advance....

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like it's just well gunked up which is making it difficult. Just unscrew base and give it a hard tug. Remember the 510 thread is part of the coil not the tank so if you really can't get it out don't worry about damaging that part. so layman terms, a bit of brute!

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just press fitted into place so pulling is all that needs doing, a bit of spinach first might help, it worked for popeye

Thank you for the reply and I understood. Plus I found a video and saw it being removed & replaced. On this forum!! Great help....

VU Sponsors