Become a Patron!

Is all VG the same?

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If a company sells 99.5% VG but the site is not a vape related site, is it the same VG?

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No, it's not all the same. There are different grades such as pharmaceutical (safe to inhale and ingest) Food grade which like pharmaceutical is safe to ingest but supposedly not to inhale. Then there are agricultural and farm use grades. Definitely DO NOT vape these. They won't be near as clean and safe for vaping. Not worth any money you might save for sure if the purpose is for vaping.

There are different grades too such as USP, Pharmaceutical, etc. I'm no expert there so that's about the extent of my limited knowledge. All I would say is stick with reputable sources such as Bull City Vapor, Ecig Express, Wizard Labs, and others I'm sure that I'm missing. Don't buy from your local Farm supply store etc.. (for vaping anyway). I know there are other vendors so I didn't mean to leave any out, just using examples.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
VG is made from a number of different ingredients- from soy, to palm nuts to vegetable oils. The cheapest is probably made from vegetables. I wouldn't vape it...

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It says USP, it's safe. That doesn't mean it's of good quality.

HumCo is the brand WalMart sells. It's what I started with, and I haven't died yet.

The only reason I've stopped using it, price and bottle sizes available. At a dollar an ounce, I can't afford to use it lol

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
$1 an oz? wooah. I can get a gallon of vg/pg locally for $25 ea and that's at a b&m vape store. Not a bad price really considering no shipping charges. But $1 an oz? That'd be $128. no way lol

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
$1 an oz? wooah. I can get a gallon of vg/pg locally for $25 ea and that's at a b&m vape store. Not a bad price really considering no shipping charges. But $1 an oz? That'd be $128. no way lol

Times were tough in the early days of vaping. lol

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://epicecigreviews.com/ecig-for...d-flavors/humco-glycerine-99-5-usp-anhydrous/

"

thomast77
Forum Posts: 22
sp_UserOfflineSmall.png

sp_Print.png

Here is the post I am talking about if anyone is interested. This post has actually been made in several forums. If I had the time I would call Humco myself and see if I could find out more about it. Does anyone know what Vaping shops and online retailers use??

Go to the skin care aisle of most any pharmacy and you'll find a small(usually 6oz) bottle labled Glycerine, USP(Some pharmacies don't carry outright , but will special order for you). The label may have it listed as CVS Glycerine, USP or Rite Aid Glycerine, USP or Humco Glycerine, USP or Family Pharmacy Glycerine, USP etc.. you get my point. Whatever it's labeled, it's Glycerine, USP 99.5% anhydrous(meaning 0.5% water). It will cost anywhere from $3 to $6 for 6oz.(CHEAP) This is vegetable glycerine, absolutely, positively, no doubt. How do I know this? I'm a pharmacist. All OTC glycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine. The reason it's labeled Glycerine and not Vegetable Glycerine is because #1 it is listed in the USP as Glycerine, USP and therefore(in order to keep the USP certification) must be labeled as it's listed in the USP. #2 it would cause confusion as Glycerine is Glycerine(regardless of the source – chemically 1,2,3-propane triol), to add the moniker VEGETABLE, makes it sound like it's two different and distinct products, it isn't. Also, USP grade Glycerine is the purest you can get. Food Grade "vegetable Glycerine" you get in health food store saying 99.9% is BS. Since they do not have to meet any standard(such as USP standards) they could say anything, they could say 10000% pure. If you get USP grade, you know you are getting exactly what is labeled(within allowable USP limits) and it is made to most stringent requirements available in the US. (i.e. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia- drugs have meet higher standards then foods do). Kashrut(kosher) laws are Jewish religious dietary laws having to do with the preparation of food products and really have nothing to do with the labeled purity of the product. Also, Kashrut(kosher) laws are jurisdictional(handled differently in different places). In some cases a rabbi must come to the manufacturer and verify processes and equipment conform to kosher law and in some places it's enough that the manufacturer says or thinks he is conforming to the kosher laws. In any case USP and Kosher are 2 different things. There is no such listing in the USP for "Kosher Glycerine". To the people who are feeling naseous using pharmacy bought Glycerine, USP, it may be a placebo effect(thinking your not using the real VG) or you may have a sensitivity to Glycerine(unlikely). But it is not because the Pharmacy bought Glycerine,USP is inferior or NOT Vegetable Glycerine.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Please refer to post #9.

I don't care what some random guy on the internet says. There are dozens and dozens of companies who make VG. The good VG is made from palm nuts, rather than vegetable matter...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no reason not to believe him, in light of the fact that I've read virtually the same thing on several other sites by different authors. And experience and a pulse tell me I'm buying the right glycerine.

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well this is quite the can of worms....lol I'll just stick with the normal websites for ordering DIY materials. Thank all for the pertinent info.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's also 'vegetable glycerine' derived from animal fats, aka roadkill...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If your worried about safety RTS is the only supplier, that I know of, that will tell you what their VG is derived from. < Credit @HeadInClouds

Wizard Labs at one time, maybe still does, advertised that their VG was not derived from palm because of some sort of inhalation risk.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I chuckled at the first post in the initial link, Teresa P. If it's 99.5% anhydrous (water-free) the remaining 5% must be ammonia, right? Perfectly logical. :D

Glycerin is used in the manufacture of many things, including cosmetics. Even the Cargill link referred to "Refined USP grade." As in that viscous liquid we safely vape.

I have seen the 'pharmacist' post elsewhere as well and have no reason to doubt its validity. While willmc stated that Bull City has the best VG he's tried, I understand that BCV sources theirs elsewhere and if the above is correct, it's all the same stuff. Obviously, even experienced vapers sense a difference. There's that subjectivity thing again. :)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If your worried about safety RTS is the only supplier, that I know of, that will tell you what their VG is derived from. < Credit @HeadInClouds

Wizard Labs at one time, maybe still does, advertised that their VG was not derived from palm because of some sort of inhalation risk.

Got mine from RTS, made from Coconuts Non-GMO.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no reason not to believe him, in light of the fact that I've read virtually the same thing on several other sites by different authors. And experience and a pulse tell me I'm buying the right glycerine.

I can tell you this... The first bottle of Glycerin I got from CVS was fine, no weird taste, and was labeled as "Glycerin USP" on the bottle. I thought, "hell yeah!" and was happy I didn't have to order anything; I could get it locally.

The next time I went back, under the same sku# they had a bottle that looked identical, only it said "Pure Glycerin" instead of "Glycerin USP" on it. I didn't notice that until after I had mixed a few things with it and they tasted funny. There most certainly was a difference. This one tasted had a funky taste to it, like old sneakers or something... really strange and unpleasant. It was then that I noticed the difference in the label. At that point I started ordering from BCV and you can definitely taste the difference between the two when testing them side by side. I only order from BCV now.

Just my experience.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can tell you this... The first bottle of Glycerin I got from CVS was fine, no weird taste, and was labeled as "Glycerin USP" on the bottle. I thought, "hell yeah!" and was happy I didn't have to order anything; I could get it locally.

The next time I went back, under the same sku# they had a bottle that looked identical, only it said "Pure Glycerin" instead of "Glycerin USP" on it. I didn't notice that until after I had mixed a few things with it and they tasted funny. There most certainly was a difference. This one tasted had a funky taste to it, like old sneakers or something... really strange and unpleasant. It was then that I noticed the difference in the label. At that point I started ordering from BCV and you can definitely taste the difference between the two when testing them side by side. I only order from BCV now.

Just my experience.
I don't mind buying it locally, it does save a ton on shipping and I can have it now, but I always look for the "USP, 99.5% anhydrous". I've seen what you're talking about though.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Just my experience.

Teresa P is absolutely right regarding "USP, 99.5% anhydrous" but that USP thingy is a kinda big deal as well. As long as you're buying from a reliable vendor such as BCV, you'll be good.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not at liberty to say where BCV gets their vg. But I will say, direct from source or BCV, it's the same and imo, the best. And unless someone knows their secret of what it's derived from, idk and no one else knows AFAIK.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape wild,just noticed today,offers pure VG to mix in w their stronger juices!
ESP fruit juices... I may look into it because I DO enjoy their flavors just some is too strong for my taste and that will resolve that issue lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not at liberty to say where BCV gets their vg. But I will say, direct from source or BCV, it's the same and imo, the best. And unless someone knows their secret of what it's derived from, idk and no one else knows AFAIK.

That's my source for the next VG order, and wilmc concurs won the quality, Curlyx.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
USP or not to USP that is the question for us humands probably best to look for USP anything beyond that is umm probably left to chemists

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually order from Essential Depot, but I did try Froggy's Frog once when I ran out and it was fine (I could tell no difference)!

sk7175

Member For 4 Years
I've used vg from cvs to rts to bvc among others. I could never tell the difference. I wonder if anyone could in a blind taste test

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've used vg from cvs to rts to bvc among others. I could never tell the difference. I wonder if anyone could in a blind taste test
My experience with Humco vs BCV (and from their source) I definitely could! Although not CVS brand (Rite Aid) it's the same also Walmart is made by Humco. I gave it an honest try in a pinch and regretted it! It was absolutely disgusting.

I'm using Humco from Walmart. I will buy next time from bcv and see if I can tell a difference. I will probably buy all future vg online being that it's cheaper than 3.88 for 177ml. I got my pg from bcv but I started to buy it from tractor supply.

sk7175

Member For 4 Years
cheaper than cvs, I paid 5.99 for 177ml once when I ran out. I couldn't tell any difference but some people claim to

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
http://www.froggysfog.com/additional-products/chemicals.html

I've been using the pg and vg since 2011 from Froggy's Fog. Every gallon that I've bought has been perfect for me.

Great to hear, Jimi, thanks. I just grabbed a quart at Amazon (for free Prime shipping) 'cause Essential Depot brand went from $11.07 to about $22 overnight.

It was only after I placed the order (of course) that I was ED is running two gallons for $40 shipped free. :(

I am Hungarian, just bought 2 liter of VG 99.5 at a company who sell this for wine production (as glycerin used to make wine tastes better quality as it is) it is really cheap as this is a junk from producing biodiesel etc, lot people and companies using as sweetener, as Glycerin is chemical formula, I don't think it has a lot difference safety etc, glycerine is a simple chemical formula. Glycerol, so it is a kind of alcohol, from safety perspective as we heat up to 200C+ I think it get sterilized, the thing what glycerin used in a lot area is the ability of water absorption, so it will dry your lung as well and irritable for some people and possible causing asthma or bronchitis , but i think this is not because of the quality, a chemical formula is not "quality" maybe if that is not glycerol, just on the bottle written, then it is a problem, but unless it 99.5 non watered glycerine the source would not matter, as far I know almost all virus / bacteria has proteins and nucleon acid, which seriously damaged at 60C+ even the most OP virus deactivate at 150C and this is very very rare to have a virus resistant for 200C+ even if it resist it going to be deactivated, I think it is more risky to use a non-clean drip tip than vape non-labeled glycerol. I bought 2 liter vegetable glycerol for 2800 HUF which means something like 8 USD, I personally don't like my country because you can't buy nicotine here, but what i do I order from a neighbor country PG 18mg and add glycerol up to make it 3mg/ml. Another thing what I done going to the pharmacy and buy glycerol there, but they selling up to 85% concentrate , as it marked irritable they always add water to it, and a way lot more expensive than from winery. As long i heat up the wires the steam would be same, and just imagine that steam machines, cooking etc, u still inhale the glycerol, not in the same concentrate but that's it passive Vaping:)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VG can be extracted from different plants as well as synthesized some claim to tell a difference I cannot so I dont care or even think about it

VU Sponsors