Become a Patron!

Is there a Need for a Official VU CookBook ?

Is there a Need for a Official VU CookBook

• I dont know .

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I told you it was the permissions when I asked if the folder was shared.

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'd love to see something like this. One way to do it would be:

- have a group of volunteers who take turns to update 'the document'.
- have an area where people can submit recipes for testing. VU users can test and verify recipes at their will, with recipes being permitted to 'the document' based on votes.
- each week all verified recipes can be added to 'the document' by whoever's turn it is to update.

'The document' would be published weekly at VU, available to download by anyone - showing off the best recipes VU members collectively have to offer. Perhaps there could be a weekly limit of how many recipes can be accepted into 'the document' - the top 3/5/10? each week. Links would be made available with each recipe linking back to a post at VU (which may or may not be a good idea based on the next paragraph - perhaps it should remain forever in 'the document'?)

Even though the $1 idea has been clarified as a joke - a small charge could be asked each week for the download of 'the document' with the proceeds each week going to one of the contributors to that weeks 'document' chosen at random. This would provide an incentive for users to spend time creating awesome recipes (which many already do!) to submit to 'the document'.

I actually think that sounds a blast! Would add an extra interesting layer to VU's already awesome setup. Would possibly even attract users wanting to be published in 'the document'! :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If money were allowed to be involved in something of that nature, I'd rather see it got to CASAA or something that would stand up for vaping.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'd love to see something like this. One way to do it would be:

- have a group of volunteers who take turns to update 'the document'.
- have an area where people can submit recipes for testing. VU users can test and verify recipes at their will, with recipes being permitted to 'the document' based on votes.
- each week all verified recipes can be added to 'the document' by whoever's turn it is to update.

'The document' would be published weekly at VU, available to download by anyone - showing off the best recipes VU members collectively have to offer. Perhaps there could be a weekly limit of how many recipes can be accepted into 'the document' - the top 3/5/10? each week. Links would be made available with each recipe linking back to a post at VU (which may or may not be a good idea based on the next paragraph - perhaps it should remain forever in 'the document'?)

Even though the $1 idea has been clarified as a joke - a small charge could be asked each week for the download of 'the document' with the proceeds each week going to one of the contributors to that weeks 'document' chosen at random. This would provide an incentive for users to spend time creating awesome recipes (which many already do!) to submit to 'the document'.

I actually think that sounds a blast! Would add an extra interesting layer to VU's already awesome setup. Would possibly even attract users wanting to be published in 'the document'! :)
So based on your idea, members would submit recipes, rather than take all the ones that are listed here in the recipes section?

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
H
So based on your idea, members would submit recipes, rather than take all the ones that are listed here in the recipes section?
yup, I guess some kind of peer review system whereby you are encouraged to only submit 'the best of the best' of your own recipes to a hidden section where certain members test and review, selecting the very best to be used in 'the document'. Of course, unsuccessful recipes could then be posted in the normal recipes section.

There would need to be some kind of system to determine who tests and reviews recipes. Perhaps in the long run this could be done only by those who have been published in 'the document'.

Regarding money - there need not be any involved at all. Or it could be donated as you said to a good cause.

I just thought it would be a neat little idea. I'ts based on the same principles as academic peer review, a system whereby access is given to legitimate, verified recipes. I know there are plenty of cookbook type recipe lists out there but I've not come across any that give any indication that any of the recipes are that good. To be fair tho, the recipe section here basically does what I'm talking about.

I do enjoy a good brainstorm :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's why I like what we have. Excellent recipes, with extra notes by the creator, comments from those who have tried it, or questions that get answered by those in the know.

Searching recipes here isn't difficult as many make it out to be. I usually don't have trouble looking for a specific one, or even if I'm wanting to use certain flavors. They're easy to find with the advanced search option features, usually.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I a
That's why I like what we have. Excellent recipes, with extra notes by the creator, comments from those who have tried it, or questions that get answered by those in the know.

Searching recipes here isn't difficult as many make it out to be. I usually don't have trouble looking for a specific one, or even if I'm wanting to use certain flavors. They're easy to find with the advanced search option features, usually.
I agree. That's why I don't think this idea will happen. That's not to say that it shouldn't - or that it should. I think it would work and would function as an interesting little addition to the forum. However, what we already have here works great. If anything this idea would just function as a bit of fun. I was only adding to the conversation. It's something I think I would like to see, but I'm not at all fussed that I don't think I will!

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm
It can? :confused:

"It has now come to Admin and Staff attention about recipes that require payment to acquire them. It should also Go without saying any recipe posted in the DIY section should be Free to the public."
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/removing-public-recipes-applies-to-op.52498/

Ron
---
"It's the way you ride the trail that counts."- Dale Evans
I'm sure it could be arranged as a small bit of fun. As in my previous comment though, I don't think it will happen or that it should - just brainstorming ideas for fun! :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, it started out as someone wanting a document "cookbook" of all the recipes here for easier access in finding things. There are many reasons I don't think it would go over too well for things I've seen and been a part of in the past.

If someone chose to do this for their own use, no one can stop them from doing so. Publishing another's recipe without their permission will most likely always ruffle feathers. I've seen it happen and I happen to personally agree with the ones that weren't so happy about it. Everyone has a different POV on the matter.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It can? :confused:

"It has now come to Admin and Staff attention about recipes that require payment to acquire them. It should also Go without saying any recipe posted in the DIY section should be Free to the public."
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/removing-public-recipes-applies-to-op.52498/

Ron
---
"It's the way you ride the trail that counts."- Dale Evans
I was around when this took place. People have shared, then removed recipes because they opened up shop. VU has seen a lot of members/recipe creators turn into sellers. It's not just one or 2 that have done this, I've seen numerous recipes removed by creators, either because they began selling, they wanted to tweak and reposted... or, like mine... they weren't very good, LMAO.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Publishing another's recipe without their permission will most likely always ruffle feathers. I've seen it happen and I happen to personally agree with the ones that weren't so happy about it. Everyone has a different POV on the matter.

I was around when this took place. People have shared, then removed recipes because they opened up shop. VU has seen a lot of members/recipe creators turn into sellers. It's not just one or 2 that have done this, I've seen numerous recipes removed by creators, either because they began selling, they wanted to tweak and reposted... or, like mine... they weren't very good, LMAO.

Sometimes when I would go back 50 or so pages in this subforum I would find great comments in a link about the recipe found in the link's first post. I'd look and the first post would be blank and have no recipe. Now I know why.

Thanks for clearing up one of those things I had been wondering about.

Ron
---
"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."- Albert Einstein

VU Sponsors