Become a Patron!

Is this Influx of Forum Noobs Suspicious to anybody else?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Surprised you couldn't hold an 808 in your teeth. Same size and weight as a 510 just different thread. Maybe my jaws are just stronger lol
Could but just annoying as heck.

As I have been saying more complicated than smoking.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then I moved up to real Egos and T2S and Evod clearos.
Then Subtank minis, with a real mod :)

The rest is history.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think that it is possible that the FDA will be watching forums and such to find online vape shops that are selling "illegal" gear & juice. I know from experience that there is a TON of online vape shops both in the USA and China that simply do not come up on the first 2 pages of Google when searching for products. Some don't even seem to rank in Google at all (even though they are indexed).

I have a bookmark folder of a lot of these sites that I plan on buying stuff from. Older gear. I'll never share them on a public forum at this point because I want to be able to buy some of this gear, I just can't justify it right now.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I noticed on "the other site" there seems to be a small influx of "long time vaper, first time poster" threads popping up.

I don't usually pay much attention to newie threads because I find newbies are a waste of time. It seems most of them ask for help, you spend a bunch of time trying to help them, then in a couple days they drop off the face of the earth forever without ever knowing if they were helped. Bugs me to no end.

There's one newb right now wasting everyones time with some supernatural phenomenon happening with his RTA. He's active, but no suggestion he tries fixes his problem even a little and it's all getting to be pretty strange to me. I suspect a professional troll. Maybe FDA is hiring professional trolls? LOL

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I stopped trying to convert people, too. Vaping is something you have to want to do and you have to be willing to treat it like a journey rather than a destination. I find that the vast majority of smokers are not the type of person to switch to vaping successfully.
I realize this is an old post now, but I had to chime in. I have an old high school friend who's been smoking the last 30+ yrs. She doesn't live nearby but I told her about vaping and she sounded interested but is the kind to kick the can down the road...

So got her a kit, 18650 batt and Xtar charger, a good tank, and even asked what flavors she likes, and she said DILL PICKLE if you can believe it, but found Dill Pickle flavoring at TFA. Asked what cigs/nic she smoked and mixed her a big bottle of DIY juice at the proper nic concentration. Included a printed Word doc guide (I wrote) that explained how vaping works and how to change her coils, mix new juice, etc. Had her tank filled, her battery charged, extra coils, and everything ready to lift out of the box and vape. Sent it all with a bottle of nic, VG, the flavoring (and extra flavorings) etc.

Few days later I hadn't heard. Emailed and asked if she got it. She said yeah but she was too busy to open it cause she had to do taxes. (This is totally like her.) And she never mentioned it again. That was 5 yrs ago. I didn't ask anymore. Spent $200 and a lot of time and effort in hopes she would stop smoking.

So yeah. You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. Lesson learned.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I realize this is an old post now, but I had to chime in. I have an old high school friend who's been smoking the last 30+ yrs. She doesn't live nearby but I told her about vaping and she sounded interested but is the kind to kick the can down the road...

So got her a kit, 18650 batt and Xtar charger, a good tank, and even asked what flavors she likes, and she said DILL PICKLE if you can believe it, but found Dill Pickle flavoring at TFA. Asked what cigs/nic she smoked and mixed her a big bottle of DIY juice at the proper nic concentration. Included a printed Word doc guide (I wrote) that explained how vaping works and how to change her coils, mix new juice, etc. Had her tank filled, her battery charged, extra coils, and everything ready to lift out of the box and vape. Sent it all with a bottle of nic, VG, the flavoring (and extra flavorings) etc.

Few days later I hadn't heard. Emailed and asked if she got it. She said yeah but she was too busy to open it cause she had to do taxes. (This is totally like her.) And she never mentioned it again. That was 5 yrs ago. I didn't ask anymore. Spent $200 and a lot of time and effort in hopes she would stop smoking.

Same shit happened to me a couple of years ago. My neighbor wanted to quit smoking,
I set her up with a Drag mod, a Smok BBB tank, some spare coils, 2 batteries, and 120ml of juice (Uncle Junks Jon Wayne)
3 days later i saw her smoking again. I asked her WTF and she said she didn't like it. She sold my gear to a pawn shop.
Never again!

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep it requires battery (charged), juice applied every few draws if dripping refill tank if squonk. Clean replace coil wick. And make sure everything is always in supply and handy.
A bit of cursing if mech and contacts not working right (cleaning).
Put in pocket, bend over hear hissing and feel warmth in pocket. Crap did not lock the mod!
Now rewick, etc... extinguish pants if too noisy around to hear atty hissing.

vs pulling a cig out of a pack (which does not leak juice in yer pocket), lighting it, inhaling it and tossing the butt.

You can also hold a cig in yer mouth and smoke it while doing other stuff with your hands...
All true but it was funny (planning to take a pull which involves nothing more than pushing a button). Fact is, there are people who by nature take an interest in things and "get into it" - and there are others who don't WANT to have to learn one single damn thing. They just 'want it to work' and if there's any effort at all involved, they aren't interested.

What makes that perplexing in this case is that I don't know many smokers who aren't afraid that smoking will one day 'be the death of them' - so you'd THINK they would JUMP at the chance to switch - if for no other reason, some added peace of mind that you no longer have to worry "you are a smoker."

But.... somehow even the constant barrage of social conditioning that "smoking will kill you" isn't a motivator, if there is any effort at all involved.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Same shit happened to me a couple of years ago. My neighbor wanted to quit smoking,
I set her up with a Drag mod, a Smok BBB tank, some spare coils, 2 batteries, and 120ml of juice (Uncle Junks Jon Wayne)
3 days later i saw her smoking again. I asked her WTF and she said she didn't like it. She sold my gear to a pawn shop.
Never again!
Jesus H she could have at least given it all back to you and thanked you for the time and trouble. (That's what I wish my friend would have done - that was a sweet little mod I got for her! If she wasn't going to use it, I would have!)

But yeah, me too. Never again.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Who didn't have an Ego-twist back in the day. Then the first sub-ohm kanger tank on the eleaf i-stick, lol.
I didn't :) Went from Bloog cigalikes to a Vamo with a Kanger tank. Good ole Kanger... LOL... Tried a million cartos and when they hit good they were great, but half the pack wouldn't hit at all, and nearly all the rest were screwy with one or two good ones. :)

My first vape was a store-bought NJoy cigalike. Was fascinated with the concept and loved the experience but it's not pleasant to hold a cigalike, even between your fingers. Not that soft tobacco feeling... so I was happy to quickly graduate to a Vamo... which I used for a couple years, then got a box mod (IPV4S which I still use and is currently next to me with a Serpent tank on it... next to the new G Class).

Those early days were exciting but full of crap gear. Esp the cartos (at least in my experience). Vaping has come a long way.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

And trust me, it's really not any easier had she lived right next to you where you could hold her hand.

Some smokers only have 2 options...

1) Keep smoking
2) Try to quit altogether (and unfortunately, most likely with pharmaceuticals).

Vaping isn't an option for certain smokers (probably most).

Vaping is too involved when you compare it to smoking prefabricated cigarettes.

There is only one way I would ever, at this point, help a smoker switch to vaping. They would have to

1. be a current roll your own cigarette smoker (this tells me they don't mind some involvement in their new habit)
  2. come to me with what appears to be an earnest plea to help them switch to vaping. IN fact, if they currently have a vaping device, that would be better, no matter how shitty it is.

Some people are very addicted to teh act of smoking. I am one of those people, which is shy I searched high and low to find cigalies that will satisfy me and succeeded. I still use them today along with my box mods. Sometimes I just have that urge to have a smoke and a box mod doesn't do it. The act of smoking a cogarete is nothing like using a box mod.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What makes that perplexing in this case is that I don't know many smokers who aren't afraid that smoking will one day 'be the death of them' - so you'd THINK they would JUMP at the chance to switch - if for no other reason, some added peace of mind that you no longer have to worry "you are a smoker."

you have to understand something. I've mentioned this before in this forum.

I stopped vaping around smokers for 2 reason.

1) The smell of smoke nauseates me to no end and actually triggers a violent reaction in me.

2) I have had smokers come up to me and TELL ME that vaping was going to kill me. Yeah, you read that right.

My point is this. People are largely brainwashed. Even a smoker is brainwashed to believe that vaping is bad for you, and even worse than smoking.

This world is full of NonPlayable Characters (NPCs), bud. Mindless robots who just spew the filth they are fed by the media - all of it.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
2) I have had smokers come up to me and TELL ME that vaping was going to kill me. Yeah, you read that right

Had that happen many times - but I still vape around smokers, despite the stench

Sometimes you can at least plant a seed

I've had so many "that will kill you" blah blah, especially after last year's EVALI thing, but most actually at least listen when I give simple testimony: after 37 years of smoking, I haven't touched a cigarette in 4 years (will be five in January)

That's just me though

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I think this presents a valid point.

That aside there is another valid point in not comparing vaping to smoking. Vaping is not smoking. Why then continue to compare it?

What I am driving at it is when you come into vaping you quickly become aware it is not smoking. If you like many of us long time smokers meet folks via a forum, you get a support crew. That crew reminds you to have patience. They offer different ways to try vaping.

People helping other people vape want to save lives, they sincerely do. You don't have that with smoking. That is another aspect to vaping not being smoking. You can compare apples to oranges all day and night, you're not being just.

You lie to yourself. You lie to others.

Vaping is not smoking, quit comparing the two. If you can do that you may be able to vape instead of smoke. Keep doing it and it's guaranteed you'll fail.

And yes, I understand people get brainwashed. I can also see that some easier methods to undo that exist. Pointing out the obvious need to not compare apples to oranges is a simple one and can work.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And trust me, it's really not any easier had she lived right next to you where you could hold her hand.

Some smokers only have 2 options...

1) Keep smoking
2) Try to quit altogether (and unfortunately, most likely with pharmaceuticals).

Vaping isn't an option for certain smokers (probably most).

There is only one way I would ever, at this point, help a smoker switch to vaping. They would have to

1. be a current roll your own cigarette smoker (this tells me they don't mind some involvement in their new habit)
  2. come to me with what appears to be an earnest plea to help them switch to vaping. IN fact, if they currently have a vaping device, that would be better, no matter how shitty it is.

Some people are very addicted to teh act of smoking. I am one of those people, which is shy I searched high and low to find cigalies that will satisfy me and succeeded. I still use them today along with my box mods. Sometimes I just have that urge to have a smoke and a box mod doesn't do it. The act of smoking a cogarete is nothing like using a box mod.
Being a roll your own cigarette smoker doesn't necessarily always mean more being involved, though. In the vast majority of cases it's just an easy way to save more money thus requiring less involvement compared to earning the money back another way. Also, I have yet to come across a smoker with an earnest plea about anything much. They are addicts with the too-frequent mindset of addicts. Some of the smarter ones will figure it all out by theirself, while the rest of them just stick to their habitual-old convictions and uninformed/biased premeditations. There's very little grey zone between these two opposites from what I can tell, and, why should a person ask for help when fact of the matter remains that the vast majority of those willing to offer help are too complacent to admit that their own usual "if it worked for me, it should work for you" type of mentality isn't factually helping others. Vicious circles are vicious.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Jesus H she could have at least given it all back to you and thanked you for the time and trouble. (That's what I wish my friend would have done - that was a sweet little mod I got for her! If she wasn't going to use it, I would have!)

But yeah, me too. Never again.

I once gave a whole rig and juice to a man in our office who'd had a stroke and was still smoking. I was worried if he didn't stop smoking, we'd find him dead at his desk one day.

I don't know that he ever used it, and he never offered it back to me. He continued to smoke, until he had his second stroke, at which time he kinda "cut down" (y'all know how THAT goes), and then his third, and I think after the third he finally stopped. Of course, by then he was so impaired that he could no longer actually do his job properly. We are still finding things he worked on that are bizarre. He retired year before last and as far as I know he's still kicking, but at about half speed.

I try to remind myself, when you give somebody something, then it's theirs and they can do what they want with it, but I also think of what I'd do under the same circumstances, and that's when I get a little flustered.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That aside there is another valid point in not comparing vaping to smoking. Vaping is not smoking. Why then continue to compare it?

1) Because vaping is habit largely something smokers use to get away from or at least reduce smoking.
2) Because my post was about smokers switching to vaping to replace their smoking habit with something else.
3) That's how smoker's see it.

I have not smoked in probably 9 years, but I'm a smoker at heart.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I try to remind myself, when you give somebody something, then it's theirs and they can do what they want with it, but I also think of what I'd do under the same circumstances, and that's when I get a little flustered.
And that's the point. Yes, it's been given to them freely and with a good heart, but then like you say, you'd think out of kindness they'd at least say, "You know, that was so nice of you and I did give it a try but for some reason it's just not for me. I hate just letting this stuff sit and wondered if maybe you know someone else who might like to try it, or maybe you can use it yourself... ? But again, thanks so much for thinking of me. That was really kind of you..."

But then maybe they feel like that's a slap in the face to the giver... however selling your gift to a PAWN shop (like Pastorfuzz's neighbor) is worse than anything!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I think I have this whole "Covert A Smoker" thing figured out.

Those Aspire Gusto Mini pod kits were on sale for $1 each at Halo a while back.
it's an entire setup. a pod device with one full pod, and charging cord.
I got a dozen of them
I also bought 4 cases of pods for $5 each.

If someone is interested i'll give them one of those to try.
I lose a whopping $1

If someone tries the first one and likes it i'll give them some more pods and go from there.

I have no reason to give someone an expensive setup hoping that they might try it when a $1 one will do the same trick.

Before the gusto mini's Blu was selling "MyBlu" kits for $1
they came with a device, charging cord, and one full pod.
I gave those out already.

I started with a sub par device, saw that it had promise and then sought out a better device.

These newer "subpar" devices are much more satisfying than the best thing that was on the market in 2012 when I started.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My point is this. People are largely brainwashed. Even a smoker is brainwashed to believe that vaping is bad for you, and even worse than smoking.

This world is full of NonPlayable Characters (NPCs), bud. Mindless robots who just spew the filth they are fed by the media - all of it.

I agree in large part. If by "all of it" you are referring to everything related to vaping. But the media isn't the entity doing the studies and providing the content they report on, in the case of vaping. That honor goes to those concerns who want vaping shut down. It's also not the media's job to vet vaping studies. It's the viewer's responsibility to look into things like that for themselves to see if the studies are representative or slanted to serve an agenda - which means looking at who conducted the study in the first place, and also looking into other studies from various other sources.

In other words... to not be sheeple. People have brains for a reason. It IS the media's job to fact check their _own_ news. A reporter who worls for a legit network will lose his or her job real fast if their general reporting of the day's events is found to be based on anything but objective facts. Even still, the viewer has to do his or her own weighing and assessing. Brains should not be shut down unless you are sleeping. :)

IOW I totally agree many people are brainwashed (on all different subjects) but it's their own fault for being mentally lazy. Too many people are like blind magnets drawn by emotional triggers, ignoring facts that speak clearly to the contrary. In the case of smoking, if they don't want to make an effort to quit or change, they will welcome any negative reports on vaping without a second look because that gives them permission to keep smoking, in their minds -- to continue to do nothing to steer their own ship. Again, to me it's sheer laziness. Laziness of will, and of mind.

People need to think for themselves. And many do. But unfortunately, many don't.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
What if I told you that tobacco control has been actively running this same scam on every (non pharma) safer nicotine product than cigarettes to hit the market for over three decades now?

Many people reading this would probably say that there was no safer nicotine product on the market 30 years ago.

That's how good these people are at brainwashing the masses.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What if I told you that tobacco control has been actively running this same scam on every (non pharma) safer nicotine product than cigarettes to hit the market for over three decades now?

Many people reading this would probably say that there was no safer nicotine product on the market 30 years ago.

No shit - and the anti-smoking industry is full of people willing to lie

I remember talking to such a person about 20 years ago; I was considering trying to quit smoking and switch to smokeless tobacco

They convinced me it was just as deadly as smoking - so I continued to smoke :facepalm:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Lies go a long way when people want to believe what they're being told. Even if they know it's crap. They put up a reality barrier and happily plunge themselves so deep into self-denial it looks absolutely astounding from the outside. The lies are purposeful psychological manipulation, but just like hypnosis, not everyone is vulnerable to that type of manipulation.

However, back in the days of I Love Lucy, it was a more innocent time where deals were made on handshakes, and people generally kept their word, and no one would have guessed tobacco companies would be lying to them wholesale. It was unheard of at the time to be so devious on such a grand scale. It existed in other areas too, I'm sure, but the tobacco companies are the ones who "outed" The Grand Lie as selling strategy.

Today it's the nearly rule. And not thinking for yourself is not an option for anyone who chooses to deal in reality. Hopefully in a generation or two this corrosive, unhealthy, amoral tactic that began so long ago and grew into what it is today, will be a sad and regretful part of history.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had that happen many times - but I still vape around smokers, despite the stench

Sometimes you can at least plant a seed

I wouldn't mind planting the seed by just me being around, if only I could tolerate that gawd-awful, revolting stench ?

But I can't, so they'll have to plant their own seeds :giggle:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't mind planting the seed by just me being around, if only I could tolerate that gawd-awful, revolting stench ?

But I can't, so they'll have to plant their own seeds :giggle:

Sadly and tragically, Mr Juicy Lucy still smokes; I don't like it, but it doesn't bother me as much

Now, when I've gone out of town without him and came home - UGH terrible terrible terrible

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
1) Because vaping is habit largely something smokers use to get away from or at least reduce smoking.
2) Because my post was about smokers switching to vaping to replace their smoking habit with something else.
3) That's how smoker's see it.

I have not smoked in probably 9 years, but I'm a smoker at heart.

I can agree wit you to a certain point. Smoked thirty five to thirty eight years myself. Yes, I see vaping as a means to stay off cigarettes.

I do not see it as only that alone. Can also see it as it's own hobby, habit. There are plenty what vape that have never smoked. It has its own culture.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
if only I could tolerate that gawd-awful, revolting stench ?

I never thought the day would come that Tobacco Smoke was revolting but it happened to me years ago now. When a Heavy Smokers drives by my vehicle it smells disgusting and that is only what is traveling into my vehicle from theirs. Forget being near actual smoke~!

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I never thought the day would come that Tobacco Smoke was revolting but it happened to me years ago now. When a Heavy Smokers drives by my vehicle it smells disgusting and that is only what is traveling into my vehicle from theirs. Forget being near actual smoke~!

I know. There's absolutely no way I could ever go back to smoking. Truth be told, I never liked the smell of it even when I was a smoker, but I put it out of my mind for 20+ years because I like the act of smoking. I still do. I'm a smoker at heart.

But now with vaping, I can "smoke" without the awful smell lingering on my clothes, skin, hair furniture, etc. And it can taste however I want it to taste.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It existed in other areas too, I'm sure, but the tobacco companies are the ones who "outed" The Grand Lie as selling strategy.

Think they possibly learned it from Big Oil. That's another horse though so I digress. Merely felt compelled to put that out there.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started with a sub par device, saw that it had promise and then sought out a better device.
It's what they call moving up the proverbial ladder, which, lucky for them of course, some are capable to do. Most addicts are less fortunate, as they will chop the ladder up and use it next to build theirself a nice campfire... reason I know how all this works is simply because I saw both the promise and the campfire.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Think they possibly learned it from Big Oil. That's another horse though so I digress. Merely felt compelled to put that out there.
And beyond that, The Big Lie has existed throughout history as the main autocratic strategy to control the masses in order to keep a dictator in place. So maybe oil and tobacco got their cue from that. Just a subtler form of it. Attack and discredit the opposition through lies and propaganda. As they've done with vaping.

Sometimes the truth takes way too long to surface. But it always does. Eventually.

Last edited:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sadly and tragically, Mr Juicy Lucy still smokes; I don't like it, but it doesn't bother me as much.
Wow... I assume he had to have tried vaping since you vape. What was his reason for not liking it? Too much trouble? Or .. ??

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wow... I assume he had to have tried vaping since you vape. What was his reason for not liking it? Too much trouble? Or .. ??

Stubborn, he just doesn't want to quit

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Stubborn, he just doesn't want to quit

You know what? I think some men think it's not "masculine" or whatever. I think my husband was worried about what his coworkers would say if they saw him vaping. When I was really trying to get him to try it, there were a lot fewer people vaping around here, but he has held some animosity toward it ever since. And of course the more I'd try to get him to try it, the more resistant he got, so I just quit talking to him about it.

The only thing he's ever been actually willing to vape was a cigalike (it really DID look like a cigarette) down in Florida when we were on vacation and were driving a rental car for a week.

He doesn't like my clutter everywhere, either, so that doesn't help. I have vape stuff all over the place.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
And of course the more I'd try to get him to try it, the more resistant he got, so I just quit talking to him about it.

Same situation - I've made a ton of lifestyle changes the past few years, not just vaping

The more weight I lost, the more he gained; the more I move active I got, the less he did

He's eating less junk the past year and doing more than he used to, but still smoking :( although a lot less, for now anyways

VU Sponsors