Become a Patron!

Is vaping the same as smoking from a Dr's perspective?

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Obviously everyone here knows vaping is very different from smoking cigarettes. We know that it is much more healthy however my question relates to when you go into a Dr's office and get asked do you smoke. I have an eye dr. appointment coming up and the question is always asked do you use tobacco products. Now i still smoke maybe a cigar every 4 months or so. More so in the summer when i can go outside. I asked my dr. if smoking had any effect on my eyes and he said that it in fact did. So my question is how do you answer that question when asked? Is the question more "do you use nicotine products" or is it more about the countless other chemicals in tobacco?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nope. Everytime I go to my asthma doc now, he says "well thank god you finally quit smoking, and have stayed quit. ANYTHING is better than smoking." Of course, my doc is in his 60s with a mostly geriatric practice that includes a lot of smokers, and he has a brain in his head.

These young whippersnappers, I think they misplaced their brains someplace... or just sold them to BP.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yes, each doctor is going to be different - views on nicotine in general are usually driven by ideology anyway.

My GP seriously recognizes vaping as harm reducing. My rheumatologist at first was appalled at my vaping - truly believed it was just as bad - until she saw the vast improvement in my health in general and my RA in particular. Now she is a believer - especially once I assured her that all the preaching in the world would not stop me from smoking. Only vaping works.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
all the preaching in the world would not stop me from smoking.

This is the fact that my doctor knows very well about me, and probably a lot of his other patients -- which is why he's so supportive. Last time I was there, he mentioned that there's a vape shop near where he lives, and that it must be really popular, as it always appears to be packed. I said, just think, all the folks like me, who couldn't quit at all even though they really wanted to... and now they can, thx to vaping. He said it made sense to him, and he hoped the gov't didn't succeed in putting a stop to it.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
This is the fact that my doctor knows very well about me, and probably a lot of his other patients -- which is why he's so supportive. Last time I was there, he mentioned that there's a vape shop near where he lives, and that it must be really popular, as it always appears to be packed. I said, just think, all the folks like me, who couldn't quit at all even though they really wanted to... and now they can, thx to vaping. He said it made sense to him, and he hoped the gov't didn't succeed in putting a stop to it.

Andria

Yeah, my GP had been trying to get me to quit since `97 - and he also knows I'm in the demographic of those least likely to quit

I was thanking my stars today for vaping and what it has done for me

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been nothing but positives from my Dr.s, all saying vaping is DEF better than smoking and healthwise, its been a big improvement to the respiratory problems I had,<<note the word "had"

Kimtexas1026

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Obviously everyone here knows vaping is very different from smoking cigarettes. We know that it is much more healthy however my question relates to when you go into a Dr's office and get asked do you smoke. I have an eye dr. appointment coming up and the question is always asked do you use tobacco products. Now i still smoke maybe a cigar every 4 months or so. More so in the summer when i can go outside. I asked my dr. if smoking had any effect on my eyes and he said that it in fact did. So my question is how do you answer that question when asked? Is the question more "do you use nicotine products" or is it more about the countless other chemicals in tobacco?

I noticed that the language changed when my docs used to ask "Do you smoke or use any tobacco products?", and of course I've always said "no". Because I don't smoke. I said when I started vaping that I probably wouldn't tell them either b/c I didn't want to hear the lecture (since I believe most docs associate nicotine with smoking & will automatically tell you to stop). But recently, the question changed to "Do you use any nicotine products?". I was like "WTH, now I can't [honestly] dodge the question". LOL I know that vaping is less healthy than just not vaping altogether, but I know the benefits versus risk, & the benefits to me are far greater than the risks. And certainly better than smoking cigarettes. If you used to smoke, I'd be honest with them b/c they SHOULD be happy for you, that you've chosen something far more healthy than the chemicals in cigarettes. I have (up til now) chosen not to share that I vape b/c I know they'll look at me like I have 3 heads & won't understand my reasons for vaping.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any doctor with half a decent brain, a pair of eyes and a pair of ears, can listen to his vaping patients breathing, look at their x-rays and understand the difference.
However, some doctors just prefer not to learn anything new and just repeat what they have been told.

Last edited:

Kimtexas1026

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any doctor with half a decent brain and a pair of eyes and a pair of ears, can listen to his vaping patients breathing, look at their x-rays and understand the difference.
However, some doctors just prefer not to learn anything new and just repeat what they have been told.

I totally agree. That's exactly why I haven't been honest with my doc (so far) about it, b/c I know she won't look at the facts. She, like half the world, assumes it's as bad for you as smoking, & won't consider anything else. Although, I might be surprised by my doc. I do love her for everything else. I do think that the fact that doctors learn in medical school to look at the evidence/facts, yet a lot of them don't when it comes to stuff like vaping. It's sad really.

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My Dentist encouraged Vaping over smoking cigarettes. Ever since I quit smoking cigarettes and started Vaping my routine cleanings don't take as long. The Dental Hygienist always knows if you smoke because Tartar builds up under the gum line. So now my routine cleaning is cut in half and they don't have to use the metal scraper as much as before.

I got a new regular doctor about 2 years ago. She asked me if I smoke cigarettes I said I quit but I used to smoke. She sent me to get a x ray on on my chest, took x ray, everything o.k. I see her about every three months. Checking Blood Pressure. Cause Im on a exercise routine lost a lot of weight. Hopefully to get off blood pressure medicine. My blood pressure is 128/90 on same medicine for years. Im going again at the end of March. Either off of medicine or get more.

My Doctor always ask's if I'm still not smoking cigarettes I say yes. I mentioned it one time that I sometimes Vape and she was more concerned about Cigarettes. In other words my Vaping wasn't a concern.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They are all different most are too dumb to realize what is really going on or they watch CNN finding a good D.O. vs a MD can be a plus they are hard to come by

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My GP, my Gastro Doc and my Dentist have all put me into the "former" Smoker category of the patient list.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Dentist encouraged Vaping over smoking cigarettes

From a dentist point of view, vaping is better then smoking but is still bad, since there is still nicotine which limits gum blood circulation and accelerates gum recession.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From a dentist point of view, vaping is better then smoking but is still bad, since there is still nicotine which limits gum blood circulation and accelerates gum recession.
Since I started Vaping and stopped smoking my gums have drastically improved and recovered.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My GP has also been supportive and gets it.

I recently went in for a day surgery and when asked about smoking the surgeon said "oh it's the same thing" when I mentioned vaping. When challenged, he resorted to reminding me that he was the one with a medical license and I realized there was no getting through the ignorance.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Worst any health pros have said to me is nurses at times attempting to frighten, stating an obvious fact. "Nicotine is a blood vessel constricting substance.It's still bad for you." These particular nurses also make no bones in ducking outside to go fire up a fag as soon as they can too. And they overlook the research saying vaping is at least 95% safer than smoking.

So, yeah I know nicotine restricts blood vessels. I also know I use a C-Pap machine at night with oxygen fed in. I feel like I go diving to go to the rack any more. I get at the very least 4 hours a night of oxygen going up my nose. That too has started being kind of different for me. Used to take ages to get comfy and fall asleep. Bah, let that oxygen hit me and ten minutes later, out like a light. Sleep apneia is such a lovely thing to call snoring and stopping breathing during the night.

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
My doctor has asked and I said i vape, I asked her on her thoughts about it, she was supportive and said all evidence so far suggest it’s a better alternative so out of the two she’s happier I’m vaping.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My GP has also been supportive and gets it.

I recently went in for a day surgery and when asked about smoking the surgeon said "oh it's the same thing" when I mentioned vaping. When challenged, he resorted to reminding me that he was the one with a medical license and I realized there was no getting through the ignorance.
They'll withhold treatment, if you open yer mouth, too. So, I'd just reply "I.do.not.smoke." and done.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just tell them I quit smoking 3+ years ago.

My Dr had never even heard of the bitter gene.

Doctors have a minimum requirement to be a doctor, they do not know everything.
They are still practicing.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On doctors.
the best ones are the ones that keep on learning and on their own time.
The typical doctors spend their spare time golfing and such.

to me there are certain professions that are more of a calling than a job.
Teachers, doctors, nurses, firemen, paramedics, etc.

I had a doctor that I thought was great. Then he moved into politics and is never around any more.
I was obviously wrong about him.

VU Sponsors