Become a Patron!

is your DIY the best?

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How many DIY'ers would say you've made a blend better than any premium you've ever tried? Care to share the recipe? :D:p:rolleyes:

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've never bought a premium, so ALL my recipes have been better than any I've tried. Started out with a 30 mL $5.00 bottle of Menthol Ice and then to DIY.
I wish I would have done than! I've spent alot of money on premiums and house blends. Wish I would have been perfecting my own.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You don't even need to be that "innovative" abrahamfarrar....just follow the recipes on the FA thread by HIC, wllmc, Cramptholomew and many others. They are ALL better than 99.999999% of the "premium" juice you'll find. Start with that...experiment and tweak from there....no more outrageously overpriced juice :)

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im an absolute perfectionist. If something isnt spot on, it gets redone and redone again until it is. I honestly dont see how some of these juice companies sell the shit they make, because its like no one ever cared to taste it.
So you want my best recipe, huh?
I have a couple really good ones, but heres the best vanilla to date.

Paulys vanilla bean cheesecake
TFA cheesecake graham crust 6%
TFA vanilla bean ice cream 4%
TFA toasted marshmallow 1%
TFA graham cracker 1%
FA vanilla classic 1%
FA caramel .5%

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first started DIY, my mixes tasted exactly like vendor juice - meaning the first tank was pretty good and within three days it sucked. Lol! 99% of the mixes I make based on the recipes posted here are awesome and they're what I vape every day. There's always that isolated mix that isn't quite up to par, but they're few and far between. I've learned from the better posters here and can now create my own recipes that are pretty darn good and I'm proud of that. My savings are very impressive as well. I used to have to stop and check out every b&m I passed and always had to buy at least two of the many juices I tried or pick up some little piece of hardware. I only vape my own mixes now because the price tags were getting hefty on my impulse shopping and their products began to pale in comparison. The markup on hardware was obscene. I pass 'em all by now. They don't have anything I can't get cheaper online without the attitude and I just prefer my own vapes. ;)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where are you in Tennessee?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I like it, and most everyone who tries it does (if they like tobacco's). I took a lot of what I read from these forums and some trial and error and have saved a ton of money. well sort of, my flavor box keeps growing, and the old lady is giving me the evil eye every month.
lol I feel you.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ive been mostly vaping an espresso mix..still working with percentages...Seems the better of a tank i get, i have to make changes to get it where i like it again.

@wllmc ...when you getting butterscotch back in stock?:rolleyes:
i wouldve added that to last order but wasnt in stock :(

FA espresso 3.5%
FA Vienna cream 1%
FA butterscotch .5%

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im an absolute perfectionist. If something isnt spot on, it gets redone and redone again until it is. I honestly dont see how some of these juice companies sell the shit they make, because its like no one ever cared to taste it.
So you want my best recipe, huh?
I have a couple really good ones, but heres the best vanilla to date.

Paulys vanilla bean cheesecake
TFA cheesecake graham crust 6%
TFA vanilla bean ice cream 4%
TFA toasted marshmallow 1%
TFA graham cracker 1%
FA vanilla classic 1%
FA caramel .5%
this sounds amazing!

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ive been mostly vaping an espresso mix..still working with percentages...Seems the better of a tank i get, i have to make changes to get it where i like it again.

FA espresso 3.5%
FA Vienna cream 1%
FA butterscotch .5%
Just curious, why only .5% butterscotch? Is it a pretty strong flavor or did you just want a hint of the flavor in it?

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For me it adds some richness to the creamy taste.
Butterscotch is one of my favorite flavors but I've never made my own juice(yet). I've heard some flavors can be overpowering even in small doses and didn't know if butterscotch was one of them. So glad I found this forum! I'm learning so much!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Butterscotch is one of my favorite flavors but I've never made my own juice(yet). I've heard some flavors can be overpowering even in small doses and didn't know if butterscotch was one of them. So glad I found this forum! I'm learning so much!
Still learning myself...i dont think you really stop learning when it comes to diy...so many variables and things to try...Just make sure to keep notes on what you do like that you create.

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Still learning myself...i dont think you really stop learning when it comes to diy...so many variables and things to try...Just make sure to keep notes on what you do like that you create.
Yeah, I noticed that you can save recipes on some of the calculators. I'm very excited to get started but I just want to learn as much as I can before I even attempt it.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Butterscotch is one of my favorite flavors but I've never made my own juice(yet). I've heard some flavors can be overpowering even in small doses and didn't know if butterscotch was one of them.

Butterscotch!! yeahhh buddy! Am a big fan of the flavor, found 'spook sauce' by Good Life Vapor. If you are still buying juice might be worth a look for ya.
I plan on doing some butterscotch recipes myself as well.. with the resources here it makes it all so doable! Much luck to you abraham and welcome to VU!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

FA espresso 3.5%
FA Vienna cream 1%
FA butterscotch .5%
Thanks for the tag. you should have emailed me ! lol. You know I always have something up my sleeves ;)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, I noticed that you can save recipes on some of the calculators. I'm very excited to get started but I just want to learn as much as I can before I even attempt it.

Always start simple....youll be surprised at how even some single flavors can make something good...My first single flavoring was a TFA strawberries and cream..its not all that bad by itself.

A tip is to always vape every flavor by itself so you know what the actual taste of it is and what percent you like it at (if you do like it)...This gives a starting point to see what flavors require more or less to taste it like you like and an idea of where you may start with multiple flavor recipes.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're way out there on the other side of the state. :)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love boonies! We're in Sevierville, up on Wears Valley, which is pretty well away from the hub bub in Pigeon Forge. But if the husband had anything to do with it, we'd be slap dead in the middle of 22 acres out in the woods, no neighbors, no noise. ;)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
And in the boonies, on 22 acres, can't get better than that. puts you over around knox/bristol I used to drive truck have seen most of the country, east Smokies area is nice.

then you are not far from me.. next time you feel like hoping over the mountains.. come vape with me.. ;)

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
I love boonies! We're in Sevierville, up on Wears Valley, which is pretty well away from the hub bub in Pigeon Forge. But if the husband had anything to do with it, we'd be slap dead in the middle of 22 acres out in the woods, no neighbors, no noise. ;)
We Love it out here, I grew up in El Paso and at times still miss the desert, but can't beat the trees and best of all can walk around in your boxers if ya want to, well til my daughter (when she's here anyway, wedding date in Oct.) gripes at me anyway:(
then you are not far from me.. next time you feel like hoping over the mountains.. come vape with me.. ;)
May do that one day, great offer

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
more than welcome.. no telling what I have mixed up at any given time.. but I love to share :)
Yours and HIC's (plus couple of others) are some of my favorites. I'm not in your league, but getting better. Have about 5 or 6 that are my own, that the family really likes. And pages full of notes for more thanks to mixologist and reading on VU

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
@Smoky Blue your quite welcome, the post and work you guys put into recipes has given me a new hobby to go along with vaping. I have lurked here for a long time, never really saying much just trying to learn. Smoking almost killed me twice, and vaping literally saved my life. Now having DIY has given me a hobby to fill up some of my time. So Thanks to all of you

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Always start simple....youll be surprised at how even some single flavors can make something good...My first single flavoring was a TFA strawberries and cream..its not all that bad by itself.

A tip is to always vape every flavor by itself so you know what the actual taste of it is and what percent you like it at (if you do like it)...This gives a starting point to see what flavors require more or less to taste it like you like and an idea of where you may start with multiple flavor recipes.
Great tips! Can't wait to get started. Thanks for all the info!

abrahamfarrar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Butterscotch!! yeahhh buddy! Am a big fan of the flavor, found 'spook sauce' by Good Life Vapor. If you are still buying juice might be worth a look for ya.
I plan on doing some butterscotch recipes myself as well.. with the resources here it makes it all so doable! Much luck to you abraham and welcome to VU!
Thanks @Foggz I can't wait to put all these resources to good use and screw up a few of my own flavors until they become tweaked to perfection!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another awesome vape... @caddisfly ls

3% FA Vanilla classic
1.5% NF malt http://mamajsflavorshop.com/malt/
1% FA Vienna cream
.5% FA Irish cream
.5% FA Tiramisu
.5% FA Vanilla bourbon
.25% FA Brandy

The first four flavors make a good vanilla malt....shake and vape! Add the remaining ingredients and it is the bomb!

Also Hics Lemon Cardamom Custard in recipe section = Awesomeness!!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Abrahamfarrar you will do fine. It's not hard. I love the drop method as I mix small amounts mainly for just myself and its easy peasy, no clean up. At mamajsflavorshop you can get small samples of flavors to try...mainly FA as well as pre mixed recipes of wllmc and Hics. My suggestion is whatever flavors you tended to vape prior to diy or flavors you think you will like try first. As we all like different flavors. Also here on vu there are many notes on flavors mainly from HIC in the diy liquid section under reviews. Good luck to you!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
abraham

let me tell you my story.
i only used small tanks like iclear30s
Bought the one and only flavor i vape (peach mango) from gourmet vapors.
I settled on this after trying about 100 or more flavors of juices from many companies. This flavor was the closet to tasting like something I liked. Everything else with the exception of a basic strawberry form The Vapor Room (local to me) AND peach mango from MaddCattVapors (also local to me), tasted like crap or had no flavor or not enough for me to taste it.

One day the guys at MaddCatt talke dme into a kanger subtank and my life changed. I could actually taste the flavor, but since all I had was their peach mango at 6mg and my 24mg 70pg/30vg peach mango from gourmet vapor, I needed to figure something out. My gourmet vapors juice was too strong to use in a subtank, but form what i could stand for a few puffs I could taste the flavor like never before.

So I was about to order from gourmet vapor my peach mango in teh irght pg/vg and nic strength for a subtank when I realized I was using 3-4 times as much juice a day on a subtank. SO I wanted to get my juice cheaper, but since gourmet vapors is a bout the cheapest you can find I was stuck and decided to do the math on DIY.

The math made sense BY ALOT. SO I dove in head first.
The first stuff I got was peach and mango from TFA
That stuff was AWFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
taste like a candy from the dollar store clearance section.

I was about to forget DIY, then read alot about FA and CAP flavors etc.
SO I said one more try.
Ordered peach and mango from FA,CAP and FW Triedt hem all
FW and CAP both taste like the dollar store reject hard candy. But the FA was spot on fruitty and perfect, just like a real fruit. I even had a mango in the kitchen to eat and compare with.

SO after some experimenting I created a peach mango all my own that I like better then anything I have ever vaped.

And the funny thing is this, even after a couple weeks vaping only this flavor, I still notice the flavor when I vape. Unlike the store bought stuff where I eventually got so accustomed to the flavor, that after a few days using it I stopped noticing the flavor completely.

The other day I was taking my son to his baseball game and walked out of the house without juice. I didn't want to turn around and make my son late so I stopped at the nearby BM The vapor room and ordered up some plain peach. OMG it was like pure CAP or TFA peach with some nic. Worst stuff I ever vaped. Pure dollar store reject hard candy flavoring.hing I did when I got home was wash out the tank and fill it up with my own juice. And I used to like the juice from the Vapor room alot.

Everyone who does DIY will tell you their juice tastes better then store bought. Because it does. With all the different brands of flavors available and the ability to tweak the formula and a little perseverance you will find something that you think tastes better then anything you have ever bought in a store. Even if that store juice actually tastes great. You have to remember taste is subjective. So even though the person who made that store bought juice that actually tastes good that the flavor was perfect, that was their subjective view. And you might find that you like the same thing with a little more of this or that or even decide it needs an extra flavor to complement the others.

I really don't like having to mix the juice myself yet, but I'll get over it. I am planning to try and move out of my shell and make a different flavor eventually. I always wanted a good apple vape. The only thing decent I ever found is MaddCatt Vapors Flaming apple which is a copy of Big Red gum to a degree. But apple is an elusive flavor that no store seems to get right for me. SO maybe with DIY I will find the one that works for me.

Take my advice, if you have any inkling to try DIY, JUST DO IT, you won't regret it.
Save some money and start with FA flavors they are about the best out there for accuracy

And for what its worth this is my peach mango
3% FA whit peach
1% FA peach
.5% FA Mango

Last edited:

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
Butterscotch I been playing with, take it, and make it yours

4% TFA Butterscotch
2% CAP Vanilla Cupcake V2
2% CAP Vanilla Custard V2
1% FA Caramel
1% FA Vanilla Bourbon
0.5% FA Marzipan

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fyi, I found fa flavors to be most concentrated and accurate, especially starting out. Plus all of HICs notes on those flavors really helped. I've got some other flavors from other companies I like now, but fa are my bulk. I started out with 15 flavors in 5 ml.

VU Sponsors